Dear GMs: Rubberbanding

2»

Comments

• kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    how can people get fooled but such videos? dont you see that the video was speed up? rofl
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    kenlee wrote: »
    how can people get fooled but such videos? dont you see that the video was speed up? rofl

Watch the video again, ffs. The ? dialog flash rate, the text, the speed of the user panning... that video hasn't been sped up, just your desire to troll my response.
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The point is... there shouldn't be an issue though.

You can blame speed & wall hackers for the issue, not PWE.

Many games use the client to determine location & movement & report it back to the server. This will almost never create rubberbanding, but its also prone to client hacks allowing people to hyper-speed or wall ****. So the game changed to having the client report to the server where it wants to move, and the server checks & reports back if it believes you should have been able to move to that location. If the server doesnt agree that you could have moved as far or to said location, it snaps you back.

What sucks is higher latency people can get screwed. I almost never rubberband except when dealing with landing on NPCs (the server think you should be on ground, client thinks up on head, creates location problems when moving off). And other report little to no rubberbanding as well. However if you're on a slower or laggier internet connection or further away to create a higher latency, the more this problem will grow.

Honestly there's no other way to handle it, other then constantly fixing the hacks, getting another **** method, fixing that, and end up in a patch war of escalation. A company like Blizzard might be able to handle something like that, most can not.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure darth put a thread about rubberbanding to ask for details about when it happens to you.
  • Lucein - Heavens Tear
    Lucein - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    every player offer 10 bucks each to fix and i bet it would be fixed tomorrow........ if it doesn't involve some kind of payback they are not gonna do anything about it!!!!!!!!!
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    whether intentionally implemented into the game, or a miscommunication between server and computer, this needs to be worked out.

rubberbanding used to be a problem, and then it was fixed for quite a long time.

then some unknown update brought it back. But we know it's possible for them to fix it.
  • dakoo
    dakoo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I find that rubberbanding happens when falling a large distance and hitting the ground while moving (that is to say: holding a directional button, for example.) Simply stop moving and go into a straight drop before hitting the ground and the chances of rubberbanding are severely decreased. This is purely for the one situation and is not a solution for all cases of rubberbanding.
  • Healforwimps - Heavens Tear
    Healforwimps - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Made a bm,hes 21 so far,and it's been hell...pure unadulterated hell with not only having to run around like a blue arsed fly for quests,but rubberbanding all over the place like some demented midget on crack,i've spent more time rubberbanding than playing thanks to lots of quests requiring you to near,in or over water and near,in or over mountains.

I'm pretty used to gettting out of rubberband situations,i feel sorry for the new players(if any still join up now)
  • ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver
    ViciousMinx - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    kenlee wrote: »
    Its not a video effect. People were even world chatting about using speed hacks before the age of spirits expansion.
  • xunter
    xunter Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I looked at that thread started by the server mod regarding rubberbanding.

If it happens to everyone in the game, it doesn't matter what your directx version or settings are, what firewall or antivirus or any software you are using, what your hardware or computer setup is, or what npc it happened to us on - it happens to everyone, on every npc (as well as other things like previous posters mentioned). I'm sure among the game population there are a vast array of different combinations of the above, and if its happening to all of us then it is obvious that it is a game mechanics problem on THEIR end. I have no idea why they asked us these questions. Not to be harsh but I would have thought a game development team would have thought of that long ago. I don't know if it is just a silly procedure that they have to go through in their debugging process, but it is logical to assume that THERE IS A BUG IN THE GAME.
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    Djoulz - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, rubber-banding is a complete pain when it happens, I agree with you--

[...]

The good news, though, is that the devs have been working to minimize it, as shown in the patch notes three weeks ago

Hopefully they'll continue improving it over time, making rubber-banding a far less frequent occurrence.

Frankie, thanks for your kind and comforting words, bud, but honestly, the rubber-banding has never been that bad... so if you tell us they've been working on it before 3 weeks ago, that means either:
    1/ you are lying to us,
    2/ someone is lying to you,
    3/ you should hire qualified Devs or
    4/ it's yet another "inprovement" you guys said you would do...as in: "regulate the gold price", ye right, we all know what happened with that...
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Frankie, thanks for your kind and comforting words, bud, but honestly, the rubber-banding has never been that bad...

Maybe rubberbanding has not been very bad for you. Personally, I can and do rubber band landing on flat ground (like west archosaur, for example). Sometimes this will happen several times in a row (fly to get out of it, drop again to try and land...).

(By the way, this is just one of the reasons I laugh when I hear people suggesting I play on a PvP server.)
  • GayRobot - Lost City
    GayRobot - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    they made it so u rubberband outside of caves on purpose. Why u ask? imo its so u can tick ur charm faster or lose dolls faster so u go through them much faster so u have to buy more n put more money into the game. Just my opinion
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    edited January 2011
    Maybe rubberbanding has not been very bad for you. QUOTE]

meant to say "the rubber-banding has never reached that level of annoyance"
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    edited January 2011
    Maybe rubberbanding has not been very bad for you.

meant to say "the rubber-banding has never reached that level of annoyance"
  • Templar - Sanctuary
    Templar - Sanctuary Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ye i notised a lot less rubberbanding after thay "fixed" it

proof>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV7RAO9zm54
  • Cels - Sanctuary
    Cels - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I've seen a big reduction in my games rubberbanding after defragging my PC; Used to be every NPC on WQ had me resetting. (Had to even reset the program one time)

Found out that most of my files in PWI were really fragmented, the litmodels.pck file had near 200 fragments. (Using Defraggler to spot the specific files). And it fragments so much easier than most files. Heck, nearly every time I do a system scan, it come up with anywhere from 10-200 fragmented parts.

Anywho, after running the defrag, I'm happy to report that my own rubberbanding went down significantly. In the last week, I've only seen it twice and both times weren't nearly as bad as before. I only wish the program did a better job of keeping the files in order. It's definitely a dev problem at that point, but at least there is a temporary, if sort of annoying solution.

That said, it'd be nice to see it fixed in the next patch. Really don't like having to defrag my computer every time I play :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Opresor - Sanctuary
    Opresor - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    It rarely happens to me, I can only recall it happening once lately and before that it was BH39. Every 3rd or 4th time I would zone into that instance I would rubber band so bad I would have to leave my group, port out and try again, some days I was unable to do my BH's.

My wife on the other hand... this is a constant problem. As a cleric if she dies and has to release and then zone it's a guaranteed rubber banding session, every time. Even just zoning into an instance can make her account do it. The real kicker is, she has been told its her pc with the issues but.... She can be rubber banding on her main account, log into another account and be perfectly fine, SAME PC, log back to her main and be rubber banding horribly.

Ya it's a problem that seriously needs to be resolved, we both miss playing the P2P games with decent programmers and customer service. But I can only assume PWI Devs operate in a fashion similar to the own government. Lie, cover up and admit no wrong doing even when presented with damning evidence. Merely products of their environment.
  • Aquilez - Sanctuary
    Aquilez - Sanctuary Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    It is quite annoying, as I rubberband almost everytime I drop down from flying or drop off of something on a mount. This will never be fixed.

Wasn't so bad a little while ago till one of the updates and it came back EVEN WORSE b:cry

that used to happen to me when i droped from fly and pressed W to walk before hiting the grouhnd, after i noticed that i just let my char hit the ground before trying to move
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I've seen a big reduction in my games rubberbanding after defragging my PC; Used to be every NPC on WQ had me resetting. (Had to even reset the program one time)

I imagine you are using Windows XP?
  • Ao - Raging Tide
    Ao - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Good thing is flying always helps but until you get to 30 it's a real nightmare. I myself rubberband a lot and can't deny it's very frustrating. >.>