"Preview" button not functioning correctly while using Internet Explorer

Options
frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Support Desk
Hey guys, I've gotten a few reports of IE users being unable to use the "Preview" function here on the forums. I've also experienced the issue first-hand. What happens is, upon hitting the "Preview" button, your post goes up immediately without giving you an actual preview.

I'd like to find out how many of you are experiencing this, as well as the versions of Windows and IE that you're running. Also, if you're running IE and not experiencing this issue, I'd like to know that as well.

And finally, if you've experienced the issue on a different browser, go ahead and post here too.

So here we go, I'll go first:

Experiencing the "Preview" button issue: Yes

Browser: IE 8 64-bit

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• Naivety - Harshlands
    Naivety - Harshlands Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Browser: IE 8.0.6001.18999
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)

Few points :

A: Your version number isnt accurate enough, mine is. Click the blue ? Next to tools.

(Or tap Alt and look under help - About)

B: Im confused as to why this issue even occured. Why did you **** around with the VBulletin software? Its renowned for being the best, yet you evidently broke it. Seriously, W T F.

C: I hate vista. This is unconnected, just throwing it out there so people dont think I like it in any way. I just dont have the redonkulous backup storage I need to upgrade atm. I run Ubuntu on the side b:victory

Have a nice day, hope you undo this ****.

Oh and inb4 "StopusingIEitsux" Its simple, it views webpages, its the most used browser on the Windows platform, **** and go **** your burning dog, Diva or Fools Gold or w/e that browser you like is called.

---

10 points to whoever guesses my disguised hated browser names and matches them up b:cute
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    burning dog, Diva or Fools Gold or w/e that browser you like is called.

---

10 points to whoever guesses my disguised hated browser names and matches them up b:cute

burning dog = Mozilla FireFOX...

Diva = Opera? o.O

Fools Gold = Google Chrome

And instead of 10 points, I want a cookie ^^

OH, before I forget...

Browser: IE 8.0.6001.18999

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Also:

Browser: iPod Safari - Mobile browser (most recent update)

Operating System: iOS4.1
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    burning dog = Mozilla FireFOX...

Diva = Opera? o.O

Fools Gold = Google Chrome

10 points to Kritty b:chuckle
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've had this problem a long time ago on my desktop (which I don't have access to right now), while using firefox.
    (Will edit in the specs once I can access it again)

I'm not sure if it's still happening because I haven't used the preview function for a long time because of this, but I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with just IE.

On a related note: Deleting your own posts also seems to be either bugged or disabled (though it's still possible by pressing ESC before you get redirected, done it before), what about that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've had this problem a long time ago on my desktop (which I don't have access to right now), while using firefox.
    (Will edit in the specs once I can access it again)

I'm not sure if it's still happening because I haven't used the preview function for a long time because of this, but I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with just IE.

On a related note: Deleting your own posts also seems to be either bugged or disabled (though it's still possible by pressing ESC before you get redirected, done it before), what about that?

^ Ive had the deleting issue before, but due to me usually ninja'ing the redirect, (I click back to the forum before it screws up usually) I forgot it.
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^ Ive had the deleting issue before, but due to me usually ninja'ing the redirect, (I click back to the forum before it screws up usually) I forgot it.

It's also possible by right-clicking the edit button, copying the link and opening it in another window. Forgot to mention that but then you'll also be able to delete your post without any problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's also possible by right-clicking the edit button, copying the link and opening it in another window. Forgot to mention that but then you'll also be able to delete your post without any problems.

Wow. Just wow. You were DAMN determined to delete your post. What was in it? b:puzzled
  • chaoticshelly
    chaoticshelly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My turn;

Browser: Opera 11.00

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. You were DAMN determined to delete your post. What was in it? b:puzzled

Nothing special, mainly just to try if the delete function really still worked b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Marche - Harshlands
    Marche - Harshlands Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Browser: Opera 11.00

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've had this problem with Opera versions, 9.x, 10.x, and I just posted this using "Preview" with Opera 11.0.

Browser: Opera 11.0 32-bit

Operating System: WinXP Professional SP3

Also, when I edit a post the post is changed, but I get sent to an "error" page that says, "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". I notice also that the body of the message is in the URL, like for this one I saw:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?message=I%27ve+had+this+problem+with+Opera+versions%2C+9.x%2C+10.x%2C+and+I+just+posted+this+using+%22Preview%22+with+Opera+11.0.%0D%0A%0D%0AExperiencing+the+%22Preview%22+button+issue%3A+Yes%0D%0A%0D%0ABrowser%3A+Opera+11.0+32-bit%0D%0A%0D%0AOperating+System%3A+WinXP+Professional+SP3%0D%0A%0D%0AAlso%2C+when+I+edit+a+post+the+post+is+changed%2C+but+I+get+sent+to+an+%22error%22+page.&reason=&wysiwyg=0&deletepost=&reason=&x=50&y=6

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • SuperHebbe - Dreamweaver
    SuperHebbe - Dreamweaver Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Browser: IE 8 32-bit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Merenth - Archosaur
    Merenth - Archosaur Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Experiencing the Preview butto bug: yes

Browser: Internet Explorer 9 beta

Operating system: Windows 7 home edition

Although when i use my Htc Evo running android 2.2 with the native browser the preview button works just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
  • Nerrianah - Sanctuary
    Nerrianah - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Not experiencing the bug.

Using Apple's Safari 5.0.3 b:pleased

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.6.5
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Experiencing Issue: No
    Browser: Google Chrome version 8.0.552.224
    Operating System: Vista Home 64 bit version

Ha, Fools Gold Indeed. Chrome FTW :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Not experiencing the bug.

Using Apple's Safari 5.0.3 b:pleased

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.6.5

This thread is just one big temptation for me to troll people into the floor for the browsers and OS they use b:sad

I so want to............b:cry
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Download a real web browser or just be confident about what you want to post. I do both.
  • Martincho - Heavens Tear
    Martincho - Heavens Tear Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Browser: Mozilla Firefox 4.0b8

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Download a real web browser or just be confident about what you want to post. I do both.

Some people notice minor mistakes they want to correct when they review what they have written. Or space things out for a humorous effect and want to make sure it appears the way they think it will. Also, as you can see by the other posts its more than just an IE problem. So shoo troll don't bother us.

I would like to add though that when I go to edit my post it works fine, but if I click the "advanced" tab, it redirects me to an error page. b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Some people notice minor mistakes they want to correct when they review what they have written. Or space things out for a humorous effect and want to make sure it appears the way they think it will. Also, as you can see by the other posts its more than just an IE problem. So shoo troll don't bother us.

I would like to add though that when I go to edit my post it works fine, but if I click the "advanced" tab, it redirects me to an error page. b:cry

Oh no, I spelled something incorrectly. Oh look, an edit button.
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Oh no, I spelled something incorrectly. Oh look, an edit button.

Which will then crash when you submit, forcing you to **** around and manually return to your post to check it again because, lol, the preview button still wont ****ing work.

---

Might I suggest PWE just reinstalls the VB Software, forgets adding all the **** little modifications like these **** avatars and just uses it as its own thing? You know, a forum?

Itd look fine if it were plain VB with a nice PWE/TB skin. Just enforce some rules on avatars OR create a gallery selection only.

It would also bloody work. Which is fairly important I think.
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Browser: Mozilla Firefox

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options

Feel free to ban customised font and colour use too if you follow my ideas.

Some of them are really annoying / impossible to read or just plain annoying.

http://bancomicsans.com/main/?page_id=2
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Experiencing the "Preview" button issue: No

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

I'm not having the preview button issue but I am having the one I quoted from Sangodoc.

Sangodoc wrote: »

Also, when I edit a post the post is changed, but I get sent to an "error" page that says, "No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator". I notice also that the body of the message is in the URL, like for this one I saw:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?message=I%27ve+had+this+problem+with+Opera+versions%2C+9.x%2C+10.x%2C+and+I+just+posted+this+using+%22Preview%22+with+Opera+11.0.%0D%0A%0D%0AExperiencing+the+%22Preview%22+button+issue%3A+Yes%0D%0A%0D%0ABrowser%3A+Opera+11.0+32-bit%0D%0A%0D%0AOperating+System%3A+WinXP+Professional+SP3%0D%0A%0D%0AAlso%2C+when+I+edit+a+post+the+post+is+changed%2C+but+I+get+sent+to+an+%22error%22+page.&reason=&wysiwyg=0&deletepost=&reason=&x=50&y=6

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Spirit_Age - Raging Tide
    Spirit_Age - Raging Tide Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Frankie, I sent in a ticket a while ago, they said it was a known problem (with opera) and they didn't seem to rushed to fix it. Hmmm.... The preview or edit functions haven't worked for me since you put up the new forums...

Browser: Opera 11

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

better late then never I suppose,...
    I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN . Expansion was over hyped. Guild bases (that looked cool) can be destroyed, so why waste the time if your a in a small faction like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Dorset. I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN
    -ZeroDefects-"trollin trollin trollin. keep those flames a rollin. keep that post count growing. flamebait!" -Vitenka- "You are modifying the game files. That's not allowed. The freaking end."
  • Spirit_Age - Raging Tide
    Spirit_Age - Raging Tide Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    *ticket...
    I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN . Expansion was over hyped. Guild bases (that looked cool) can be destroyed, so why waste the time if your a in a small faction like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Dorset. I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN
    -ZeroDefects-"trollin trollin trollin. keep those flames a rollin. keep that post count growing. flamebait!" -Vitenka- "You are modifying the game files. That's not allowed. The freaking end."
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    speaking of issues with the "Preview" button i cant find one when i go to edit my old posts.

would be really nice to have that option
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Test Preview.

EDIT: Failed. It appeared. Opera 11.00, Build 1156.

But these forums hate Opera, anyways.
  • Naivety - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    speaking of issues with the "Preview" button i cant find one when i go to edit my old posts.

would be really nice to have that option

When you hit "edit" you see the "Advanced" button? Its supposed to bring you to the full editor (The one you originally make a post on) Which HAS the non-working Preview. The one were talking about.

Shamefully, the "Advanced" button doesnt work either b:surrender

Seriously, uninstall-install the VB software and dont touch it would be the best thing they could do :/

--Whoever messes with the forums evidently doesnt know what theyre doing, the VBulletin logo is still displayed as the addressbar / Favorites picture, and even I can change that if im given access to the control panel >_< (VB 2 only, I have not looked at VB 3 yet b:avoid)

EDIT:

In fact, since I keep making posts here, I may as well just write a full list about what does not work on here in its entirety, point out the pros and cons of a full reinstall and then just post it all at once. Save me making this many posts :P
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hey guys, I've gotten a few reports of IE users being unable to use the "Preview" function here on the forums. I've also experienced the issue first-hand. What happens is, upon hitting the "Preview" button, your post goes up immediately without giving you an actual preview.

I'd like to find out how many of you are experiencing this, as well as the versions of Windows and IE that you're running. Also, if you're running IE and not experiencing this issue, I'd like to know that as well.

And finally, if you've experienced the issue on a different browser, go ahead and post here too.

So here we go, I'll go first:

Browser: IE 8 64-bit

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

I've reported this problem, for the past 2 years since i've been posting on these forums. Its not a new issue. Happened with IE6.

Yes

IE 6

Windows XP