Lets talk: Sage or Demon?

SteelStar - Heavens Tear
SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Barbarian
Why? Explain explain yourself.

b:bye
It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
Post edited by SteelStar - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2010
    I chose demon.

Why?

I had to make the choice before the packs and demon skills were cheaper than sage, but now that I've got most of the demon skill. I think all but 2 or 3 I would never ever change to sage if I had the chance. Main reason being I love all the spike damage. Love to see all those crits and big numbers. Second.... I don't want to spend all the time/money trying to get sage skills that I spent getting my demon skills. Countless farming fbs, rb runs and cube runs b:cry

Over all I think demon may lack the hp, but sage could never compare to the damage.
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I also went demon before the APS craze began. To be totally honest, the first time I saw someone demon spark (I was like level 50 at the time) and I realized it was a red spark, I was like "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT SOMEDAY."

Now I didn't just decide on that, Demon suits my playing style better (I too like to see big damage numbers pop up), but I admit I was initially sold based on the 3 spark b:chuckle
    edited December 2010
    I also went demon before the APS craze began. To be totally honest, the first time I saw someone demon spark (I was like level 50 at the time) and I realized it was a red spark, I was like "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THAT SOMEDAY."

Now I didn't just decide on that, Demon suits my playing style better (I too like to see big damage numbers pop up), but I admit I was initially sold based on the 3 spark b:chuckle

Nice. I also seen the red spark when I was in my 40-50s and was like b:dirty
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Demon

Brought a winged trophy lunar glade or watever you call it, open it .. cant trade it..therefore went demon to fully use it. Never look back.

b:laughb:laugh

Plus i realise.. the only skill book i do need in demon beside demon spark is

Poison Fang
    Strength of the titan
    True form

dont even need demon flesh ream/devourb:chuckleb:chuckle
    I hardly use any other skill lately... for some weird reason.
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I vote for neither. Don't take the culti quest at 89. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Chose Demon

Because I'd rather do a better job at holding aggro than have extra defense and hp but not be able to get aggro.

And if a high aps ruins tank I can become a DD myself and still be useful.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Fuzzballs - Heavens Tear
    Fuzzballs - Heavens Tear Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I chose sage, as back then I was heavily into tanking (and it was waaay before the APS 5.0 craze broke out). I learned all sage skills except for one.

However if I would have a barb now that was going to do his culti, i'd probably pick demon instead as sage barbs at the moment are completely useless except for the superior longer duration buffs (strength of the titans and beast king's inspiration) that they can use on a squad, they're just deadweight otherwise.
  • Loricus - Harshlands
    Loricus - Harshlands Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Yep, is sad to admit but now I think of my Barb as a dead weight, Im also thinking on changing to Demon, altho Ill miss the extra HP and longer HP buff duration, i think at this point we need to have higher dmg than any other thing
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Are you gonna have really really really really really good gears and be pulling a cata?

Cause if no, then demon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    DEMON all the way...

I choosed this culti waaaaay before getting even near to 80s.

I started playing with PWI Lost Empire, it was like Feb 2009 if i remember well...

When i discovered that at some point you should have choose a final cultivation, i informed myself throught DAI's guide and a fan site...guess which one ?

That's right, ECATOMB...so i looked at the skills and i decided my own barb way (sound like a naruto's line)

At that time demon were very rare on the server, and every1 was toward sage, but we know nowadays how things go...

im very disappointed that sage is becoming exticnt due to "THOSE FIXES". is that even the right plural of FIX ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Ethaar - Raging Tide
    Ethaar - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I had the opportunity to play both demon and sage barb for quite some time and I'm pretty sure this time I'll choose the dark side. I'm the old-fashioned tigers-got-their-own-claws type of barb so the general aps craze is not going to affect my decision much, but still demon barb has just so much to offer... Let's see:

(I believe that correct build (stats + eq) can make up for any differences in hp and damage, so the most important factor for me are skills.)

Onslaught is enough to love demon barb
    - ranged nuke
    - +35% crit rate, just how awesome is that
    - 6 sec duration with 8 sec cooldown makes it spammable
    - shines both in pve and pvp

Armageddon is made for killing - when I decide to use arma it's mainly because i want something to die, that's why 10% extra dmg fits better with it's actual purpose. HP loss reduction on sage version is still a nice bonus though, but nothing more than that.

Bonus on demon Slam nicely makes up for lack of vigor skill

Same goes for Beast King's Inspiration. And it affects all party members in range of buff.

100% crit for 6 sec after Sunder and immediate hp regen. MVP of any aoe, helps a great deal to keep aggro, deals nice damage, often prevents your hiero from ticking.

Blood Bath - you don't need to put so many points in dex to hit those damn pure dex chars, and you still have more HP than any other class on the battlefield. Case a bit similar as with arma - I use it when i wanna hunt that archer down, so offensive bonus is more useful.

Poison Fang - extra damage, nice.

As for longer duration of sage buffs... I fail to see that problem with rebuffing every 30 minutes (I've been doing it for 88 lvls), so the increased duration is pretty much useless.
    I have to say that sage Axe and Hammer Mastery and Strength of the Titans outclass demon versions totally. (rebuffing every 5 minutes just to keep that crit buff up doesn't work). Same goes for Shapeshifting Intensity, though the difference here is not soooo important.

Summing it all up - demon skills fit my playing style better, though i think that in general demon barb has an edge over sage barb when it comes to skill bonuses. If I had the money to make full str build I would go sage definitely, but other than that demon barb wins. \o/
    edited December 2010
    I had the opportunity to play both demon and sage barb for quite some time and I'm pretty sure this time I'll choose the dark side. I'm the old-fashioned tigers-got-their-own-claws type of barb so the general aps craze is not going to affect my decision much, but still demon barb has just so much to offer... Let's see:

(I believe that correct build (stats + eq) can make up for any differences in hp and damage, so the most important factor for me are skills.)

Onslaught is enough to love demon barb
    - ranged nuke
    - +35% crit rate, just how awesome is that
    - 6 sec duration with 8 sec cooldown makes it spammable
    - shines both in pve and pvp

Armageddon is made for killing - when I decide to use arma it's mainly because i want something to die, that's why 10% extra dmg fits better with it's actual purpose. HP loss reduction on sage version is still a nice bonus though, but nothing more than that.

Bonus on demon Slam nicely makes up for lack of vigor skill

Same goes for Beast King's Inspiration. And it affects all party members in range of buff.

100% crit for 6 sec after Sunder and immediate hp regen. MVP of any aoe, helps a great deal to keep aggro, deals nice damage, often prevents your hiero from ticking.

Blood Bath - you don't need to put so many points in dex to hit those damn pure dex chars, and you still have more HP than any other class on the battlefield. Case a bit similar as with arma - I use it when i wanna hunt that archer down, so offensive bonus is more useful.

Poison Fang - extra damage, nice.

As for longer duration of sage buffs... I fail to see that problem with rebuffing every 30 minutes (I've been doing it for 88 lvls), so the increased duration is pretty much useless.
    I have to say that sage Axe and Hammer Mastery and Strength of the Titans outclass demon versions totally. (rebuffing every 5 minutes just to keep that crit buff up doesn't work). Same goes for Shapeshifting Intensity, though the difference here is not soooo important.

Summing it all up - demon skills fit my playing style better, though i think that in general demon barb has an edge over sage barb when it comes to skill bonuses. If I had the money to make full str build I would go sage definitely, but other than that demon barb wins. \o/
    I've never heard is said better. b:victory
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited December 2010

100% crit for 6 sec after Sunder and immediate hp regen. MVP of any aoe, helps a great

Just one to point 1 thing, as it isn`t too clear on yout post, that 100% crit affects sunder too, making it pretty damn deadly. We were gonna test my arma crit with cleric, he had to be in BB as first time he got 1shot by sunder =/.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
    edited December 2010
    Just one to point 1 thing, as it isn`t too clear on yout post, that 100% crit affects sunder too, making it pretty damn deadly. We were gonna test my arma crit with cleric, he had to be in BB as first time he got 1shot by sunder =/.
    b:chuckle Nice!
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010

We like to equate barb competition over highest arma crit to something like an overcompensation to boost their e-peen. I was doing bh79 with a friend and we were seeing how fast the bosses could die. I was on my bm and liked to glacial spike, attack once, HF, and then used Tangling mire on my 101 str genie. Had a veno amping, too. May have been extreme poison involved too. Anyways, Arma crit was around 350k, Brig died in 8-9 seconds.

Point of the story... Overcompensate for your small epeen. Get Demon Armageddon. b:victory
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Ethaar - Raging Tide
    Ethaar - Raging Tide Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2010

Yeah I didn't state it clearly, thanks for pointing that out :) It makes the skill alone a great nuke, and if one can do the sunder-anythingtogetvig-arma combo... b:shocked
  • TankedBeast - Lost City
    TankedBeast - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Why is there yet ANOTHER sage vs demon thread? >.> Search button.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Leader of Sangnati (Latin for Blood Born/Nation)
    We can be your best friend... Or your worst enemy...
    Which would you prefer?
    b:sin
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
    Yes, 5.0 really is OP. Yet, I still got it... b:chuckle
  • IBaMBii - Heavens Tear
    IBaMBii - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Growning as a barb it was the hit thing to be sage.. but I went demon because I saw the skills damage was way better. Sage barbs have it easy with all the exp phy def and extra hp.. but demon can hold aggro better from spark and fuller damage.. :D

The skills.. i prefer, I mean yeah itll be harder for that extra hp but you can do it with shards and still attack full.. demon barbs have it all now. :) (Im also now the new chi giver to the squad with demon hp buff :P)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Why is there yet ANOTHER sage vs demon thread? >.> Search button.

Why not? I see like 5 "Am I doing it right" or "Are stats okay" or "What about these specs for my level" almost every week it seems. Just a general chat about what you would prefer if you had to chose again or why you like the path you choose. Pretty much turned out to be a flop though b:surrender
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    everyone knows a sage barb does more damage in human form and a demon barb does more damage in tiger. but here is the catch. but when soloing or doing pvp there is a catch.

sage barb may have slighly more damage in human form and slightly more def in tiger.

but it means u have to choose...

to do max damage u have to forefit all tiger form advantages u got for going sage and stay human.

to be tiger and get def and hp, u have to give up alot of ur damage.

where as a demon, i may not have as high as damage in tiger as sage has in human(sage human at +190%). but hey i got 80% more def and 30% more hp. (with +165% demon)

and if they choose tiger, they get 40% more def and 10 % more hp but they thier damage at (+190% goes down to +140%)

i think sage tiger benifits still wins compared to demon tiger.. +40% def 10% and losing the extra +25% damage

but demon tiger owns sage human (losing 35% damage but gaining +30% hp and +80% def)
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Blade_aether - Lost City
    Blade_aether - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Pardon my perhaps *** reference, but Furries, you are the first barb that I have ever seen post anything factual and knowledgeable.

You get my props. Let's cuddle. ;)

Blade_Aether
    (>^_^(>O_o)>
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I was a demon barb when sage barbs dominated the server. One skill convinced me to go demon and that's Onslaught. I can't believe no one realized how OP'ed that skill is at that time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Pardon my perhaps *** reference, but Furries, you are the first barb that I have ever seen post anything factual and knowledgeable.

You get my props. Let's cuddle. ;)

Blade_Aether
    (>^_^(>O_o)>
    yeah that's not the first time I've heard something along those lines....

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=944062
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • _TigerClaw_ - Lost City
    _TigerClaw_ - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    O.O i didnt know what i was gonna be till now O.O pretty sure 2 go demon now
  • Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    O.O i didnt know what i was gonna be till now O.O pretty sure 2 go demon now

The only thing were sage wins is the chi skill...

The rest demon wins..