- channeling vs protection ornaments

Options
Furries - Dreamweaver
Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Cleric
i currently have - channeling ornaments (on my cleric), and i was looking to get some protection ornaments for certain situations.

i was wondering if there are any good amulets and belts with decent -channeling AND some decent p def or if i really do have to pick and choose.

cleric is 63 atm
Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
Post edited by Furries - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yes you need to pick and choose.

Generally, -chan should be regulated to wrist/rings/wep. You do have special cases like rank top/Nirvana pants/Lunar TM cape/Wushu hat though. Don't bother with -chan ornaments since, as a cleric, you need the pdef you get from protection ornaments to survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I kept a set of both and had them hotkeyed.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Meyki - Sanctuary
    Meyki - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yes you need to pick and choose.

Generally, -chan should be regulated to wrist/rings/wep. You do have special cases like rank top/Nirvana pants/Lunar TM cape/Wushu hat though. Don't bother with -chan ornaments since, as a cleric, you need the pdef you get from protection ornaments to survive.
    I don't agree. More channeling means better/faster heals. I use both sets of "-chan" and "pdef" belt and necklace and I switch between these.
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Gods, I must be weird then. I like keeping one set of eq and one set only.

So basically, if you're like me, keep only a set of pdef. If you're like Decus or Meyki, get both and switch between them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Meyki - Sanctuary
    Meyki - Sanctuary Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It is not weird, just a bit limitative. You trade off few slots in inventory for versatility.
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

So basically, if you're like me, keep only a set of pdef. If you're like Decus or Meyki, get both and switch between them.

your not weird b:chuckle i like keeping only one set myself since i think its annoying to switch the whole time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It is not weird, just a bit limitative. You trade off few slots in inventory for versatility.

My final build plans for -39 chan. I don't really need to carry around more. Also, would rather not accidentally drop something valuable. b:embarrass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I <3 Subtraction.

• Vibba - Sanctuary
    Vibba - Sanctuary Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    -chan is only good if you have ALOT. I only have -18% chan (archangel sleeves, Mirage TT99 and 2 OHT rings), noticable at high channeling skills only. I would never sacrifice p.def for more chan. My Sage Wellspring heals fast enough, IH is fast as always, and I rarely use slower heals so I don't really care about channeling, to be honest.
  • _Nei_ - Sanctuary
    _Nei_ - Sanctuary Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I always played with two ornaments for p.def & channeling. Just change it when you need more faster heals or you need better phy def.

Phy.def ornaments used to don't add channeling stats, channeling ormnaments are Elemental Neck/Belt.
    [SIGPIC]C:\Users\Fatima\Pictures\neivindicatequickfix.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Arshies - Sanctuary
    Arshies - Sanctuary Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    -chan is only good if you have ALOT. I only have -18% chan

This didn't make any difference,

something like -48%; -54% channeling makes the difference.
    Even if your IH is faster enought you will feel the difference and specially with skills like Wield Thunder & Stream of Rejuvenation
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Arshies - Sanctuary
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This didn't make any difference,

something like -48%; -54% channeling makes the difference.
    Even if your IH is faster enought you will feel the difference and specially with skills like Wield Thunder & Stream of Rejuvenation

I had -27 and it was very noticeable to me...

Though perhaps I saw what I wanted too. When I was using loaner gear, I did notice more lag time.

Either way, and more on topic, it's entirely up to you to decide how you want to select ornaments. If your cash agrees with you, or you don't mind micro-managing that much, then carry two sets like Meyki and myself. If not, or if you prioritize one over the other, then just use a good set of one kind, like Eoria.

Nothing weird about having a different way to build and play the class.

OP, I hope that helps. b:victory

Cheers!
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ok so im defintaly going to get some p def ornaments now.
    the question is now...which ones should i get

what should i look for in the p def ornaments
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    normally you should see a diffrence from -12% chan. already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    Options

+HP, +pdef, +vit are all good adds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

That depends on play style, lvl, and budget. pre lvl 87, just get what is cheap, has decent adds, and gives better pdef. At lvl 87 I'd recommend getting Sky demons Pearl. It is rather cheap (less then 1m) and adds +5% hp, which when comparing adds, its hard to beat that.
  • DeLetar - Sanctuary
    DeLetar - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You can always hope to be lucky and make -channeling gear with p def/ vit/ hp. Reduced channeling is noticable long before 48 or 54 reduction on yourself. Others only notice it once it's in the 40 range.
    I level the old- fashioned way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I like having the money for skills.
  • Eril - Raging Tide
    Eril - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    -chan is only good if you have ALOT. I only have -18% chan (archangel sleeves, Mirage TT99 and 2 OHT rings), noticable at high channeling skills only. I would never sacrifice p.def for more chan. My Sage Wellspring heals fast enough, IH is fast as always, and I rarely use slower heals so I don't really care about channeling, to be honest.

-%chan on a wiz....yes
    -%chan on a cleric........

It depends on the player really. Clerics have a fast enough channeling as it is on their most important and most used skills. I personally don't like sacrificing my p.def for -%chan so I don't look at -%chan on my neck/belt. If it comes on hat/pants/boots/wep/ring/cape, well then thats just a splendid bonus.

Also, as a cleric, because the our channeling times are fast, you need a very very high -%chan to notice a difference. 40% at least.
    "I'm going to stand here and try to guess how much I'm gonna need to spend on bail by the time someone calls the cops."
    ‎"I'd like to put forward that I'm going to need prior notice if I have to get my hands on anything really illegal."
    "Anderson, don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the entire street."
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

frost protection stuff are good.
    for lower levels there is the belt reward from the token of the seven.
    belt of earth (tt80)

eventually there is the warsong belt or the 4th map belt (95+)
    and the cube neck or the tt90 gold neck

speaking of -chan, just because u dont notice it doesnt mean that it doesnt exist...
    just like u dont notice the dmg redution from one garnet...
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Also, as a cleric, because the our channeling times are fast, you need a very very high -%chan to notice a difference. 40% at least.

No...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Segomo - Dreamweaver
    Segomo - Dreamweaver Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I personally loaded myself up with a lot of PDef stuff. If you get the TT99 bound Pataka along with TT80 Pdef necklace, Mold 95 Pdef Belt and a cape of elite leather, you'll have more pdef than most people would expect a cleric to have. Right now lacking the cape, pataka and belt I have 2.5k pdef with just my buffs. With the rest of it you can easily get 4-5k pdef (we're still no real competition for the Wizard Earth Shield). Yes...I pulled those numbers in the end right out of my *** ^^;

That being said, I think the choice of -chan% vs pdef comes down to your playing style. I'm a cleric that sometimes likes to charge in and do stuff. Some may call me fail for that, but it's my style. I think the first thing you should ask yourself is "Do I want to be in the fray, or do I want to be on the sidelines supporting?"
    DREAMWEAVER
    Segomo - Lvl100 - Cleric
    Mictain - Lvl91 - Psychic
    Eros_Nyx - Lvl68 - Veno (o.O?)

Magic is in my blood, take it away and what am I left with? It is my crutch and my sword, my life and eventually...my death.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    btw dont sell your channeling gear. Its good to have a set of those just in case. Atho most times they will tend to be used for PK or PVE

ignore the high lvl noob clerics who think channeling alone is the bomb. You really dont want to be stuck with, or as a cleric that has tons of channeling and dies in one hit cause the base defense is a meager 1k+

unlike wizzys who spam different skills to attack each second, us clerics TEND to spam the same spell over and over. That said, we want the optimal amount of -%channeling that doesnt interfere with cooldowns. The average % is between the 20s and lower 30s. If your a good cleric you should already start to feel the difference in channeling starting from 18%

Some of the good end oriented ornaments will come from chrono quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

This statement is untrue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3