Debuffs

Options
Triage_ - Archosaur
Triage_ - Archosaur Posts: 56 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Cleric
How effective are they? Does anyone know because I cast them on boss and attack and I don't feel my damage increases much if any?
Post edited by Triage_ - Archosaur on

Comments

• lylfo5
    lylfo5 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It helps, but its usually not much. Will help more in a squad situation though, so its worth it to level the skills only after your heals and attacks.
  • Flying_Flash - Sanctuary
    Flying_Flash - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    For solo grinding, they aren't really that useful unless lets say you run into a mob with increased defense that is metal. Then I usually use the magic debuff for more metal damage.

However for solo grinding, it doesn't really make a big difference, the attacks you deal after using the debuff will pretty much = the normal damage you could have done by simply using an attack instead of the debuff to start with.

But if you apply that same knowledge to bosses or squad situations. Instead of you just doing a little more damage, the whole rest of the squad will be doing more damage. Thus taking down the bosses faster.

One thing for certain though, if the tank requires your full attention during the fight, don't worry about debuffing but it is definitely nice to throw in there if you can
  • Thinkalot - Dreamweaver
    Thinkalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    in my own experience, debuffs are only usefull when you're in sq as second cleric and have time to use em on bosses. They are "sometimes" usefull in TW on some occasions and to help your teammates win a fight or give an extra edge.

As for lvling them, level them with extra SP but go for your buffs/heals first. Seals are not really usefull in pve since they also have a "drawback". Wat you do to them, you do to yourself as well....unless its the chromatic seal i believe. (well, the silence seal one).
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I use the 2 physical and magical debuffs on bosses in between healing my squad if the boss is going particularly slow. The other 2 I use for pvp and TW. So it depends on what your goals are. :) Those would probably be one of your last prioritys though as far as leveling them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    while they can be useful in a sqaud setting its important to know when and when not to cast them.

keep in mind that the p def and m def buff from cleric is only 30% maxed and 40% demon/ sage.

that being said: barb's devour is 50% p def

in that case if the barb has chi, let them use devour. its really annoying when the cleric overides it. same thing goes to venos. ironwood is good. but when ur overideing a 50% debuff with a 40% debuff thats just stupid on ur part.

the m def debuff you can use a lot more often. as only glacial spike lvl 7 + (2 spark pole bm skill) and rainbow myraid 100% (lvl 79 veno) will pass the 40% demon gives.

although a lvl 4 or 5 pet howl will pass the 30% from a lvl 10
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • agarloth
    agarloth Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you squad with interval user dimensional seal is your best dps skill :D
  • Lana - Raging Tide
    Lana - Raging Tide Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^what he said. Lvl 11 dimensional seal is 40% pdef reduce, i think only barbs Devour and Demon Ironwood/Debuff can top that b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Gotta say, I love my seals. I use them every opportunity I can as a support cleric.

I think of it as the same reason people want BMs to HF. Because a BM using two sparks to double the entire parties damage is much better than a BM using 3 sparks to 500% only their own. Same thing with clerics. Taking the time to cast 2 debuffs and a purify will cause much more damage in a squad then just attacking 3 times.

The reason you don't notice as much a difference is because of diminishing returns on defense. So say the boss has 10k defense and is level 100. If it works like players that means the majority of their damage reduction is from the first few thousand points and decreasing as we get to 10k. For instance:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d145628fb43e873d lvl 100, 10k def, 71% reduction from gear.

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a5ed0a489fda4792 lvl 100, 7k def (30% reduced), still has 64% reduction.

That's why 30% defense reduction doesn't give you 30% more damage, more like 10% based on mobs def. Stack it with a Tangling Mire around 40% and an HF though...b:bye

Anyways, using seals in a squad first is usually much better than attacking and in the end will save you mana and time because bosses will die quicker. You can also consider it part of healing because your tank will be in danger for less time.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    while they can be useful in a sqaud setting its important to know when and when not to cast them.

keep in mind that the p def and m def buff from cleric is only 30% maxed and 40% demon/ sage.

that being said: barb's devour is 50% p def

in that case if the barb has chi, let them use devour. its really annoying when the cleric overides it. same thing goes to venos. ironwood is good. but when ur overideing a 50% debuff with a 40% debuff thats just stupid on ur part.

the m def debuff you can use a lot more often. as only glacial spike lvl 7 + (2 spark pole bm skill) and rainbow myraid 100% (lvl 79 veno) will pass the 40% demon gives.

although a lvl 4 or 5 pet howl will pass the 30% from a lvl 10

It's a lot better when a cleric knows what the debuff icon looks like to see if someone has already casted one. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein