I forgot. Help! :O

Das_Racher - Archosaur
Das_Racher - Archosaur Posts: 44 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Barbarian
Okay, so I've been away from PW for quite some time. (I think the last time I played was like March)

Anyways. I think I forgot how to tank.
I spam Flesh ream but i can't seem to hold aggro.

Basically I should ask this question. This question, I know, has been asked many times, and I know theres already probably an answer on this forum. But i want insight and opinions from multiple people with experience.
"How do I take and hold aggro without worry of losing it?" I know you spam Flesh ream but surely there's more to it than that, because all of the sudden it isn't working for me anymore. Should I FR a lot and then throw in a random roar followed up with more FR?

Or am I not doing anything wrong and it's them darned DD's?

Thanks in advance.
If I tear you open wide,and take a look inside;
Are you pretty?
Can I get inside your mind,see what I can find;
Are you pretty?
So just take off that disguise,everyone knows that you're only
Pretty on the Outside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Das_Racher - Archosaur on

Comments

• LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    It's the DDs. They generate more agro than you can with FR or Roar because they can get more hard hits in more quickly. This is being discussed a bit in my thread. =P Tanking barbs are becoming obsolete... endangered... extinct... Take your pick.
  • Das_Racher - Archosaur
    edited December 2010
    I did take a gander at yo' thread.
    it seems so.
    Yet I see so many people asking for barbs.
    Seems like the figurative "wheel" that are the PWI classes & build types are out of balance. Not saying anything is OP because i don't want to start that argument and I don't know the first thing about it anyway, but...yeaaah..
    DD's be doing to much DD.
    Are you pretty?
    Are you pretty?
    Pretty on the Outside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    If you're running with people 70-80 then you shouldn't really have a problem with keeping aggro on a single target. How often do you FR? Every 3 hits? 4 hits? 5 hits?

Roar resets aggro, so you wouldn't use it to try and build aggro. You could throw in devour here and there, not really spammable since it is chi-intensive.

For multiple targets there is roar, I prefer to FR each atleast once, and continue to make the rounds if the DDs all focus on a different mob. There is also sunder (if you can spare 2 sparks) and surf impact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Das_Racher - Archosaur
    edited December 2010
    I pretty much just use FL every other hit and then throw in some other skill like surf or devour.
    I have never liked roar for that very reason. Only time I ever use it is in a crapyerpants moment when mobs are flying all over the place eating everyone in the squad.
    Are you pretty?
    Are you pretty?
    Pretty on the Outside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Ha ha! That's a good one. I was told once when a friend gave me the keys to his barb that agro is a simple matter of Ream and Alacrity + any skill you'd like to through in there to help with chi/DDing.
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    get a veno to give u bramble..

it help tons with aggro holding.

and if that dont work.. tell the DD to tone down their damage.
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • Pathetick - Archosaur
    Pathetick - Archosaur Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    at 71 if the dd are stealing aggro from FR you're either squading with some crazy dd (and on arch there aren't that many good dd at that level) or something has gone horribly wrong. Check to make sure FR is lvl 10. If it is then only thing left to do is up your damage. Try out some Calamities they should give you the Damage boost you need to hold aggro.

If your squadding with a high level DD you won't hold aggro period so don't try. If this is the case let the dd tank and you support by spamming frighten and devour and using alacrity to cancel spells.

One more thing Always make sure the cleric knows who is tanking before you start a boss otherwise things tend to get ugly.
  • GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary
    GG_BIG_Y - Sanctuary Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    @ Das_Racher

If ur losing aggro at ur lvl well either ur flesh relm and devour is not lvled high enough or like the other have said the DDs r do crazy damage cause dds r alts and hence can afford godly gear for their lvl. Cause aggro trouble normally does not come till lvl 89+

@ LongWushi

As for ppl complaining abt how they can not keep aggro at high lvls i really dont get it. I do agree against 5.0 bm and and sin it is impossible to keep aggro, also 4.0 sin fall into this category if they have hing enough refines. As for the 5.0 archer,barbs and 4.0 bms as long as they dont have +10 above gear keeping aggro is do able. it is a hell of a lot more work then normal tanking but still possible. All u need is sage or demon flesh realm, devour, roar and alpha male.

The reason i say its doable agains 5.0 archer, barb and 4.0 bm as lon g a they dont have +10 gear is that, I myself have a 4.0 bm and i can out DD 5.0 barbs and archer with better refines than me.

I think most barb who complain abt not being able to keep aggro r not upgrading their skills cause u cant expect to keep aggro against high lvl dds with a skill that u max at lvl 54b:chuckle

My advice is try to get demon/ sage flesh realm and then try keeping aggro. U will find a huge difference while tanking with lvl 11 FR compared to lvl10 FRb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Make sure all of your skills are to level as much as possible.

Run in and:
    Bestial Rage, FR, Devour, FR, Random Skill, Auto Attack, Fr, Auto Attack, Repeat. Use Alacrity as Needed.

If you are still losing aggro then your damage dealers are either much higher level than you or have a ton of money sunk in to their toon. If this is the case then find different people to play with or let them tank.
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • Das_Racher - Archosaur
    edited December 2010
    Yes, my FR is level 10.
    I dunno what the others are exactly, but I'm fairly certain devour is about lvl 5.
    Are you pretty?
    Are you pretty?
    Pretty on the Outside.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]