Cleric in PvP

HemHighwater - Sanctuary
HemHighwater - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Cleric
Hey guys im new to the game and I was just wondering if clerics can do any good in pvp. I want to do dungeons but I also want to PvP. I have a level 14 cleric and have been using the 1str 9mag every 2 levels. If clerics have absolutely no chance at all in PvP then can someone suggest a class that can do dungeons well and PvP? Any help/advice is welcome and thanked.
Post edited by HemHighwater - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Foxcreature - Harshlands
    Foxcreature - Harshlands Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    clerics get better at pvp in higher levels. as they have plume shell,wings of protections and all those heals so whenever you get hit your hp goes back up while you kill everyoneb:pleased

also they have magic and physical attacks so they can deal good damage to all classes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/Fox\-8x-cleric-main
    foxcreature-3x-veno-forum char
    StealthDemon-3x-sin-alt
    NoctusPsy-2x-psy-alt
  • LongWushi - Heavens Tear
    LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    That's a more or less "pure" build and unless you get the drop on some poor idiot I don't think you will last very long. As a pure at L90 you will be lucky to have 3k HP. A L90 Archer could drop out of the sky and one shot you (or at least two shots). I have a base of 70 VIT and I have 4.8k HP unbuffed and I get 6.4k HP with sage barb buff. I tweaked Cayeon's "Attack" Cleric build and play style. It works wonderously well for me. FAC is in no way fail because you are still a cleric and by the time you reach your 90s your skills can all be maxed out anyway. Most of mine are, only a few aren't.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=11781 <--- Cayeon's thread if you're interested.
  • Kairu_ - Sanctuary
    Kairu_ - Sanctuary Posts: 226 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    That's a more or less "pure" build and unless you get the drop on some poor idiot I don't think you will last very long. As a pure at L90 you will be lucky to have 3k HP. A L90 Archer could drop out of the sky and one shot you (or at least two shots). I have a base of 70 VIT and I have 4.8k HP unbuffed and I get 6.4k HP with sage barb buff. I tweaked Cayeon's "Attack" Cleric build and play style. It works wonderously well for me. FAC is in no way fail because you are still a cleric and by the time you reach your 90s your skills can all be maxed out anyway. Most of mine are, only a few aren't.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=11781 <--- Cayeon's thread if you're interested.

i LOL at this rofl. my cleric has base vit of 3. nowhere near the best gear and i'm 3k hp easily with 2.7k pdef (lvl 86). archers with 85 gold frost bows hate me 1/2 the time since their first attack normally dont' kill me. and i just Absolute Domain before the second and pop up plume shell. 1/2 the time their dead long before shell fades. bm's stuns if they jump you are a fatal blow (shell not up and all). barbs well if they can kill you in a few seconds without you being able to AD, shell, seal, expell. then something is going very wrong. veno's with any air pet using ream are a pain in the *** to say the least. psychics just sleep > twin spark > razor > dead in 1 shot if their not plume shot will finish it most the time. (and psy's reflect debuff skill don't work on clerics sleep). wizzies hope to god they don't open with a BT when you dont' see it or it's normally game over. if they dont' BT first then AD if it hits you to hard and respond with sleep > twin > razor > plume (same with psychic). barbs hp is fun lol shell > cyclone > wield > cyclone > ele seal > cyclone (just to be sure their low on hp) > sleep > tempest. so long as their hp is under like 11-12kish you should be able to bypass their charm completely. and if your high enough a silent seal for immobilize.

this cleric who says pure clerics are completely squishy obviously isn't built to take a beating and only dish it out. I'm completley pure 0 dex enough str for TT90 only rest pure mag. you just half to know how to gear yourself (even cheapo gear) and your genie to survive a 2-3 shot ko to get AD or sleep off. as for facing assassins. pray to god their one of the stupid sins who don't know how to keep up a chain stun/seal/immobilize or twin spark > inner harmony > headhunt/slipstream out of stealth lol.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    i LOL at this rofl. my cleric has base vit of 3. nowhere near the best gear and i'm 3k hp easily with 2.7k pdef (lvl 86). archers with 85 gold frost bows hate me 1/2 the time since their first attack normally dont' kill me. and i just Absolute Domain before the second and pop up plume shell. 1/2 the time their dead long before shell fades. bm's stuns if they jump you are a fatal blow (shell not up and all). barbs well if they can kill you in a few seconds without you being able to AD, shell, seal, expell. then something is going very wrong. veno's with any air pet using ream are a pain in the *** to say the least. psychics just sleep > twin spark > razor > dead in 1 shot if their not plume shot will finish it most the time. (and psy's reflect debuff skill don't work on clerics sleep). wizzies hope to god they don't open with a BT when you dont' see it or it's normally game over. if they dont' BT first then AD if it hits you to hard and respond with sleep > twin > razor > plume (same with psychic). barbs hp is fun lol shell > cyclone > wield > cyclone > ele seal > cyclone (just to be sure their low on hp) > sleep > tempest. so long as their hp is under like 11-12kish you should be able to bypass their charm completely. and if your high enough a silent seal for immobilize.

this cleric who says pure clerics are completely squishy obviously isn't built to take a beating and only dish it out. I'm completley pure 0 dex enough str for TT90 only rest pure mag. you just half to know how to gear yourself (even cheapo gear) and your genie to survive a 2-3 shot ko to get AD or sleep off. as for facing assassins. pray to god their one of the stupid sins who don't know how to keep up a chain stun/seal/immobilize or twin spark > inner harmony > headhunt/slipstream out of stealth lol.

I agree that pure should be able to pvp just fine 1v1. Normal pvp outside of 1v1 usually has a few more ppl and thats where pure builds find it hard because they'll typically get targetted. If you tend to have to use Absolute domain in the opening seconds of pvp- i would guess that its going to be a bit of an uphill struggle.b:shutup
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • HellsNoir - Sanctuary
    HellsNoir - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    A cleric can PvP but most dont bother until the higher lvls honestly. Yeah they are squishy and all that but with the buffs, and their gear a pure build cleric can probably do a good amount of damage on PvP. It depends on the gear, what your sharded with, and how well you know your character I think, but then again I could be wrong >.< b:surrender
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    In my own experience, after doing TW's , i noticed that once you get stunned as a cleric, you hardly have a chance (well, most of the time), unless you are FASt on skills and know what you're doing. Retreating (in TW) is sometimes the best option you have. It's part of the game....

I'm still a pure mag cleric, with decent gear, but nowhere near the lvl 100+ with better... So that's why i put my cleric out of rotation and just lvl him "at least" till 99 if not 100 before i'll go to TW again.

I suspect, with all the high aps users and very well geared ones, that a pure mag cleric doesn't get much of a chance in TW's. First, their targetted more then the rest, second,
    if one melee class gets a drop on you with lower HP then most, you're practically sure to be a dead dodo.

I will see when i reach my desired lvl IF i have enough HP and def to survive a battle. If not, i'll probably restat to get more Vit, since 90% of the time you'll be healing the squad you're in anyway.

As for PvE, a pure mag can do just fine. I was 50 vit but restatted to 3 vit, and since then, no regrets as far as pve goes. Just use plumeshell, AD and all other apo's/skills pots you can afford/use, and instances or just questing goes well.

As for dying a lot, i only had one option : charms. At certain levels you get free charms from either the Supply stash or the one from TB quest (like platinum that one). If you can spare the cash, buying one is also an option. I know it saved my butt a LOT of times in the past (still does).

Below lvl 30, dying isn't so bad, the exp you lose is nothing compared to the higher lvls, so a charm isn't really needed. And with a little help from a faction you'll be 30 in no time at all.

Have fun :)
  • Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited February 2011

Do you know what refines are???b:laugh

Just done a pwi calculator a **** pure built cleric with nothing spcial and rtefiens at +3 total hp is 3477 unbuffed...

Phisical def, 2513 self buffs
  • Belkas - Lost City
    Belkas - Lost City Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys im new to the game and I was just wondering if clerics can do any good in pvp. I want to do dungeons but I also want to PvP. I have a level 14 cleric and have been using the 1str 9mag every 2 levels. If clerics have absolutely no chance at all in PvP then can someone suggest a class that can do dungeons well and PvP? Any help/advice is welcome and thanked.

In group pvp, you are best suited to support with heals and debuffs. People generally don't like a cleric that doesn't heal. So if you like magic and want to attack...try a wiz or psychic. If you do level your cleric to eventually pvp, expect to die a lot as sins love to target clerics..in fact, every melee class loves to target clerics. All we do is give love and all they return is hate. b:surrender
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    At 70 pure mag all I was every good at was against wizards... . Sometimes I beat a veno here and there. Other classes I could come close to emptying their red bar, but, often I just don't last long enough for that one last shot to win. If you want to be good at PvP you should take the above advice and refine and shard some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Echolight - Dreamweaver
    Echolight - Dreamweaver Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    clerics get better at pvp in higher levels. as they have PLUME SHELL,wings of protections and all those heals so whenever you get hit your hp goes back up while you kill everyoneb:pleased

also they have magic and physical attacks so they can deal good damage to all classes

i dont think plume shell is useful to me since it completely drains all my mp... just in my opinion b:surrender
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Once you're 90+, you'll learn to LOVE plumeshell. Melees hate it. Mobs do way less dmg.
    I just wish it would last longer :)

And a cleric in TW : you heal the barbs (+rest oc) and when you get a chance, you Tempest the hell out of everyone in sight. trust me, once you unleash that, no one is stupid enough to move towards ya in case some whiz/veno does another AoE and definately kills em.
  • Magicgabe - Lost City
    Magicgabe - Lost City Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Here are a few important rules for clerics pvp. Note: I have more often learn what not to do rather than what to do.

1) Get both charms you'll need the mp one for plume shell

2) Get over 100 base vit. 1000HP just doesn't get made up easily negligible. ( if you have over +8 on all armor ignore this)

3) Refine armor to +5 at least. Need more HP enough said

4) Phy def stones. HP is no good without physical def

5) Plume shell. Get it. Use it. Love it

6) Ironheart ironheart ironheart... good clerics seem to use this skill

7) purify your stunlocked teammates. They'll love you

8) sleep or gtfo if someone 3-sparks. Don't tank that stuff just don't.

9) debuff...duh

10) kite - don't try to tank 4+ aps
    and bro...fyi this isn't a story.

All people are idiodic but some are more idiotic than others.
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Here are a few important rules for clerics pvp. Note: I have more often learn what not to do rather than what to do.

1) Get both charms you'll need the mp one for plume shell

2) Get over 100 base vit. 1000HP just doesn't get made up easily negligible. ( if you have over +8 on all armor ignore this)

3) Refine armor to +5 at least. Need more HP enough said

4) Phy def stones. HP is no good without physical def

5) Plume shell. Get it. Use it. Love it

6) Ironheart ironheart ironheart... good clerics seem to use this skill

7) purify your stunlocked teammates. They'll love you

8) sleep or gtfo if someone 3-sparks. Don't tank that stuff just don't.

9) debuff...duh

10) kite - don't try to tank 4+ aps

^ Very good advice. I disagree with No. 2, but that exception was also covered there, so it's a moot point. :o
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • RangerFEAR - Lost City
    RangerFEAR - Lost City Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I enjoy using my cleric in pvp, he has base vit of 5 and has 4.5k hp with 5k pdef. He can tank most archers, can definetly tank a nix, and has enough hp to withstand most wizzy ultis in exception to the R8 people. But of course an interval style class vs a cleric can end up very bad the only way to combat this is domain and hope you can kill them before they stun you again. His gear is yet to be opted he just reached 90 and can beat some r8 clerics
  • Cyb_kairu - Sanctuary
    Cyb_kairu - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I enjoy using my cleric in pvp, he has base vit of 5 and has 4.5k hp with 5k pdef. He can tank most archers, can definetly tank a nix, and has enough hp to withstand most wizzy ultis in exception to the R8 people. But of course an interval style class vs a cleric can end up very bad the only way to combat this is domain and hope you can kill them before they stun you again. His gear is yet to be opted he just reached 90 and can beat some r8 clerics

the r8 clerics were probably doing something wrong. and as for facing others like sins and such. it's funny when a sin or aps bm pops up and you expell them *in pk*, or start to channel ironheart and expell yourself *if you cast expell after you've started channeling a spell, the spell will finish channeling and cast so auto purifies the can't attack debuff aka: free 9 seconds of phys invulnerability, in the case of using it in pk you keep them from attacking *including sins using stealth* and they become phys immune but imo: you got non physical dmg spells.

barbs, and bm's mainly. i just try to keep them locked down with silent seal most the time *silent seal: use religiously, chromatic seal: use situational, and intelligently. and as for barbs who can kill you before shell/AD ect, you haven't met those r9/nirvana zerk barbs that throw demon/sage bestial onslaughts all over the place. with a 15-20+ crit rate.

sins are a pain in the *** to say the least. but if they dont 1-3 shot you or you die before you can react. then expell or ad > IG/tranqualizing orb. normally helps out (but you may wanna back off on the later since they'll just stealth and attack again once it's gone.

other clerics, try to get them to both use sleep and plume shell before you. then sleep > wait out shell > pdef and mdef debuff or pdef/ironheart > demon spark > razor/plume.

psychics, similar to clerics bu their buffs are a pain in the *** sometiems. havent faced enoguh psy's for a general basic that works most the time, since a good psy and bad psy are 2 completely different things. and teh difficulty is a larger gap then the other classes

veno, sleep the veno > kill the pet > ironheart a few times > attack the veno with plume/razor *cyclone > wield if they bramble hood*.

archers were mentioned above > shell > twin/demon spark > nuke, some archers are stronger then others so i tend to shell + wog. and try to kill them before i die

feels liek something's missing but leaving for school in 3 mintues so gotta go.

PS: ttyl and sry for the wall of text
  • Alfrothul - Dreamweaver
    Alfrothul - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Lets put in this way...
    We can heal ourselves, we can decrease magic and physical defense, we can sleep, we can stun, we can exchange most of damage from our hp to our mp and we can deal powerful attacks.
    So... Yes we can do PvP but is just not that easy. We do need genie skills to help but the most value thing is get experienced on PvPs and know who you battle against because different classes requires a different routine. About being pure magic or not, that doesn't really matters... Pure magic deals more damage and has lower hp, while hybrids build has more hp and deals less damage, BUT you can use your gear to make up any disadvantage.

What really matter is... Being cleric is really fun you only need to find the way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rangerelite
    rangerelite Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    the r8 clerics were probably doing something wrong.

My cleric is sage, with sage plumeshell on most r8 cleric i hit 2.5k a hit which can be easily 2 hit of some cleric who can only afford the r8 itself and not the pro sharding. Debuff and 3 sparkd i hit some for around 7k ish, witch is very scary XD because i have 14% crit rate.
    lol sorry for being on a diff acc XD
  • Stillaplaya - Sanctuary
    Stillaplaya - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    im a pure build demon cleric with 10.6k hp buffed, 14.2-17.8 mag attak, 12k mag defs and 9k p def buffed. im also in top 5 on my server in kills. I have the highest kill/death ratio for clerics that are still active on my server. heres the kicker...............

if i had placed all that gear into a sin i would scare the f*** out of everyone. if your first thought is pk, dont make a cleric. if your first thought is a caster pker, pick a veno, wiz or psy. in my opinion, a DDer style class is the way to go if u wanna run people over. i fight the best on server and im telling u, i wish i was a different class. so now im lvling casters and imma just transfer gear over. cleric is fun but if u wanna ****, look elsewhere.
  • BordoRose - Sanctuary
    BordoRose - Sanctuary Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Stillaplaya, sadly I didn't read that post earlier.
    I thought cleric ll be really good in pk with sleep, high attack and heals but.. yeah interval bms, sins, archers and more and more barbs re pain in ***..
    On TWs and group PK I only heal, debuff and trow from time to time sleep on someone. Eh I think I ll pick up wizz now.. Even with high hp (8k unbuffed) and quite good phy def it's hard to kill other players.
    So to all who wanna kill not help(remember that helping your team mates re important too!) dont choose cleric.. :s