Taken Adavange of...

AveryMina - Dreamweaver
AveryMina - Dreamweaver Posts: 16 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Is there anything my we can do about people taking advange of people? My friend traded his mount and fash (hes a newb) cause the guy he was squaded with (the butt hole) told him he was gonna help him and trade it right back and such... the butt hole left squad and ran away... so now my poor newbie friend is stuck and doesnt know what to do... I was told if he reported it that his account would be banned cause it was through a trade so my friend doesnt was his own account (which is my account) to be banned for reporting something that he just wants help with... what should we do? is there anything we can do?
Post edited by AveryMina - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Foxcreature - Harshlands
    Foxcreature - Harshlands Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Is there anything my we can do about people taking advange of people? My friend traded his mount and fash (hes a newb) cause the guy he was squaded with (the butt hole) told him he was gonna help him and trade it right back and such... the butt hole left squad and ran away... so now my poor newbie friend is stuck and doesnt know what to do... I was told if he reported it that his account would be banned cause it was through a trade so my friend doesnt was his own account (which is my account) to be banned for reporting something that he just wants help with... what should we do? is there anything we can do?

report it. you wont be banned, but you may not get your stuff back unless you can prove that it was stolen with SS and such, even then they could just say that you traded it to a friend just so you can get free stuff. however you may get lucky and get your stuff back. either way its worth reporting it because you wont get banned and theres the possibility of getting your stuff back, even if it is a small possibility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]/Fox\-8x-cleric-main
    foxcreature-3x-veno-forum char
    StealthDemon-3x-sin-alt
    NoctusPsy-2x-psy-alt
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    what your saying is, your friend traded his mount and fash for some weired reason, to a totaly random guy that said, "give me your fash and mount for a second, ill trade it right back and ill help you after", so he traded them both, and the guy basicly left squad and ran away with his stuff :/
    im sorry you cant be that stupid, i dont understand how people fall for such silly tricks, even the very first time i started on an MMO, i never trusted anyone unless i was actualy there friend, OR if it was an item i diddnt care to lose,

eitherway no there isnt a thing he can do to get it back with GM assistance, only way hes gonna get that back is insane luck that the guy that stole his stuff, happens to return them, sorry :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • AveryMina - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2010
    thanks Id really like to see him get his stuff back... mostly cause I got it for him for his birthday :/
    edited December 2010
    I just dont understand why people have to be like that to other people, its not right.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    The only thin you can do to prevent such things is be smart. Really, you can only be "scammed" in this game if you let yourself. Don't be dumb. Sorry for your friends loss, but it is his fault. Sure the guy that took it was a jerk and all, but there is not much anyone can do to get it back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • NaaMachine - Lost City
    NaaMachine - Lost City Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I just dont understand why people have to be like that to other people, its not right.

Unfortunately anonymity does that to some people. :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Aggro
    Should be required reading.
  • Tallain - Heavens Tear
    Tallain - Heavens Tear Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    yep, your "friend" just had a Barney Fife moment... nothing you can do. Next time don't give your stuff away lol...... srry u trusted someone u dont' know.
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited December 2010

I am sorry that happened to your friend :( Hopefully he will learn from his mistake and be very careful trusting people he doesn't know. There are lots of jerks out there, lots of nice people too. Just hard to tell the difference online. The thing that concerns me if you report this is:

"so my friend doesnt was his own account (which is my account) to be banned for reporting something"

I believe its against the rules to share an account. I heard about this when I was going to share my account with my daughter. I thought she would be better off if I could "watch" her.

Best of luck to you guys, sorry again you ran into an unscrupulous person.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    If he took a screenshot of the chat where the guy stated he would return the items and reported that to the GM's, then yes there actually is a good chance they would take appropriate action. GM's usually pay more attention to issues like these than people think.

However, without proof there's really not much they can do unfortunately. He can try though, and no he definitely wont get banned.
    edited December 2010
    yep, your "friend" just had a Barney Fife moment... nothing you can do. Next time don't give your stuff away lol...... srry u trusted someone u dont' know.
    i didnt it really was my friend and i told him not too
    edited December 2010
    I believe its against the rules to share an account. I heard about this when I was going to share my account with my daughter. I thought she would be better off if I could "watch" her.

really I'll have too tell my roomie to get his own then
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Rule #1 of life: Do not trust strangers. b:bye

I'm sorry your friend got scammed, but frankly, he's an idiot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010

i'm afraid that this is true; no matter how harsh it sounds.
    you dont give your car to a stranger for a ride, do u?
  • Futurelord - Dreamweaver
    Futurelord - Dreamweaver Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    i'm afraid that this is true; no matter how harsh it sounds.
    you dont give your car to a stranger for a ride, do u?

although the idea is based on the fact that they are a stranger and you can tell if they are trustworthy or not based on whatever skills you use, this is a game, trust has to start somewhere in order to make friends.

Not everyone live the kind of life where they would learn to not trust others, the lucky little...
    I once (twice really) gave a mount to people who say they were gonna pay for it later, both times i wasnt payed back and both time i had a stranger give me a new and even faster mount for free cause they thought i needed it. Karma is weird...

I say report it just to have tried, chances of you getting your stuff back rises for every piece of evident you show.
    b:scorn...We are one, We are many, We are watching you...b:scorn
  • XxZavxX - Raging Tide
    XxZavxX - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Your friend (or you [because it also sounds like you were the one who did it]) need to use better judgment. Don't give over gear to strangers, or people you don't trust.
  • peacefulsilence
    peacefulsilence Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I dunno whats funnier, that people try to do it, or the fact that people fall for it.

Really, A sin in his late 50's asked if I would sell my sin's bracers. So I played dumb and acted like it was a gift and had no idea what it was actually worth since I made them with a different character. He said they were worth 100k. I instantly broke out laughing behind screen.

They were +5 Bracers of Blood Moon with 4 Perfect Citrines.

I BS'd and said 'I'd ask the friend who gave it to me to be sure' and then said 'They said just one of the gems is worth more than that' and he went on a tangent about how they were wrong and I was an idiot and that I should sell it to them.

Second opinions really help in avoiding getting scammed, real or fake.

But really, your friend is pretty dumb to give his mount and fashion which serve no constructive purpose to 'borrowing'. Unlike for example where I'll 'borrow' a lame leg' weapon or something and then return it full gemed and refined a few times.

Maybe you're friend will realize the lesson they try to teach from childhood; Don't trust strangers.

Imo; Don't trust your friends either. They can **** you even worse if they are a pseudo friend or a friend turned enemy and you've let them into your more sensitive things. Since I child I've learned not to trust anyone with anything I really cared about.
  • Healforwimps - Heavens Tear
    Healforwimps - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    i didnt it really was my friend and i told him not too

Thats even worse now,he ignored your warning not too?I hate to say it but he deserves what happened to him,maybe he'll learn something.
  • Tygurr - Sanctuary
    Tygurr - Sanctuary Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    is there anything we can do?

There is.... tell your friend to not be so gullible in the future. NEVER let someone you don't know "borrow" anything of yours.
    Somewhat retired from PWI, now playing Hellgate Global full time
  • Fata_Morgana - Lost City
    Fata_Morgana - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    "so my friend doesnt was his own account (which is my account) to be banned for reporting something"

Yea, good luck! Watch your account be banned soon.
    If he took a screenshot of the chat where the guy stated he would return the items and reported that to the GM's, then yes there actually is a good chance they would take appropriate action. GM's usually pay more attention to issues like these than people think.

However, without proof there's really not much they can do unfortunately. He can try though, and no he definitely wont get banned.

Well, I don't believe that the GMs will go through all the logs just to see if the things were traded back or not. It could all be a set up. Trade things to a friend and then claim you never got them back and it was a scam. GMs are too lazy for this kind of work. Frankly, ... how stupid can 1 be?
    I'm just an illusion.
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    How stupid can people get?
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    trust has to start somewhere in order to make friends.

it can always start with an average garnet isntead of a darkflameb:surrender
  • vbarbie
    vbarbie Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    It's only Nature working to fix your friend. Because when you are such an idiot, that's the only way you will learn a lesson. Sadly.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Scream and call 911 next time you get "taken advantage of."
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • _Hysteria_ - Dreamweaver
    _Hysteria_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    if pwi was like me, hopefully theyd laugh and be like haha wow what a ****tard, sorry but your friend is a moron for trading stuff to a stranger, shoulda been smarter.
    Marshal of the Lvl 3 Faction SubZero on DW server, pm me in game!!!b:victory
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    Lutirica - Harshlands Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    pwi is like america will backstab you for money. no offence
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    if pwi was like me, hopefully theyd laugh and be like haha wow what a ****tard, sorry but your friend is a moron for trading stuff to a stranger, shoulda been smarter.

Ok you're all a bunch of insensitive schmucks. Yes, its true, the person was dumb i agree. But whats with all this 'blame the victim' bullcrap? Seriously the person who stole was an immoral a-hole and you're all essentially approving of what he did because the victim was dumb or naive.

I'd rather have friends who are dumb, then friends who are immoral. Lets point the blame at the appropriate place here and not approve of that behavior.
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Ok you're all a bunch of insensitive schmucks. Yes, its true, the person was dumb i agree. But whats with all this 'blame the victim' bullcrap? Seriously the person who stole was an immoral a-hole and you're all essentially approving of what he did because the victim was dumb or naive.

I'd rather have friends who are dumb, then friends who are immoral. Lets point the blame at the appropriate place here and not approve of that behavior.

NOT ALL OF US :)

"I am sorry that happened to your friend :( Hopefully he will learn from his mistake and be very careful trusting people he doesn't know. There are lots of jerks out there, lots of nice people too. Just hard to tell the difference online. The thing that concerns me if you report this is:

Best of luck to you guys, sorry again you ran into an unscrupulous person."
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010

I don't see why we have to choose the side of the scammer or the side of the idiot. How about we choose the side of someone who isn't gullible and also not a scammer? OP was dumb.. and wants someone else to protect them from their own stupidity. Bad idea.
  • Sheikah - Raging Tide
    Sheikah - Raging Tide Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I don't see why we have to choose the side of the scammer or the side of the idiot. How about we choose the side of someone who isn't gullible and also not a scammer? OP was dumb.. and wants someone else to protect them from their own stupidity. Bad idea.

Personally I don't think their an idiot, at least not by habit. Did they do something silly? Yes. But that hardly makes them an idiot. Should they have known better? Yes. But how much exp they have with these sorts of situations and how many warnings they've gotten on this sort of thing makes a difference. Age also makes a difference sometimes though an inexperienced adult is just as likely to fall for it, as an inexperienced child sometimes. After all how are you going to know the wolf is at your door or might show up at it, if know one tells you? Besides everyone does something like this in rl or in game at some point, wisdom is gained through exp over time, not all at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Healforwimps - Heavens Tear
    Healforwimps - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    OP already said he/she had warned her friend not to trade that stuff yet he went ahead and did it anyway...

So if i was standing there with my first few weeks into the game and someone i had squaded asked me for several items worth a lot of money "just to try them a sec" in return for help,and i gave them to him that is silly and gullible...but for an old friend(who btw has played the game a lot longer and knows whats what)to tell me not to they will just scam me and i go ahead regardless,now i'm in the realm of idiocy...

So yes the guy who got scammed is quite clearly an idiot.

That is not defending the scammer.