drop rates are lower than ever!!!

Options
snusmumru
snusmumru Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
HI, everyone!! Is it just me, or drop rates are really really low on any monsters... I can spend an hour farming and get just 2-3 mats... I get only coins (if that) for the best part. I know that there was the x2 drop rate on thanksgiving weekend, but even before that i had much better drop rate.. Please help :) I am a bit frustrated.. Thanks for any respond in advance...
Post edited by snusmumru on

Comments

• TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's randomness for ya... Drop rates have been better for me, but that's just by random chance.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Bridigan - Sanctuary
    Bridigan - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've been getting stretches where my drops stink, and stretches where they're very nice. It's just good and bad luck, methinks.b:victory
    Director and Webmistress of Faction Tramonto
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My research shows that droprates have never been altered in PWI's history. In fact, I'm 99% drop rates have remained the same for five years.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    killl 100.000 mobs, put the drops in a spreadsheet and return
  • RobertDutu - Lost City
    RobertDutu - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's just crappy luck. Change mob or grinding place. You might luck out. Last time I did I got a Purgatol Document: Saturn on a non-double drop event week.
    I am Jack's raging bile duct.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I have a slight suspision crafting mats have gone down in rate, but overall droprate is probably pretty much the same. It's always been rather dreadful in PW.

I think the reason it seems so bad is back a few years ago most of us (who were playing) were lv1-50 and gold was 100k. Grinding on mobs a few hours could earn you several gold or some decent coin. 1m was good going back then. 10m was rich.

Now 1m coins is a drop of water in a bucket of hot sand. A stack of 100 DQ items isn't really anything impressive. Getting drops like oracles doesn't make you a few 100k anymore. DQ's don't even NPC as well.

Mob drops haven't decreased, just the actual reward output for your effort.
  • snusmumru
    snusmumru Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    yeah.. I meant to mention mats drop rate is lower, but i have been out of luck since thanksgiving X2 rates stopped :) But mats.. mats are soo difficult to farm for me since then.. painfully low .. just gonna try twice as hard :P And thank u everyone for response!!! U all are the best! xx
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    My research shows that droprates have never been altered in PWI's history. In fact, I'm 99% drop rates have remained the same for five years.

The drop rates of the bosses in Lunar were changed.

Also, it's possible that Twilight Temple drops were reduced when they changed the amount of mobs inside the instance early last year.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Kilala - Lost City
    Kilala - Lost City Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Today i got a secret letter from a mob while aoeing.First time i ever got one.But other then that you usally get 1 -2 dq's from this many mobs lol.
    <script src='http://img841.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=derpq.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>derpq.jpg</noscript>
  • Evict - Heavens Tear
    Evict - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

^
    Today i got a secret letter from a mob while aoeing.First time i ever got one.But other then that you usally get 1 -2 dq's from this many mobs lol.
    derpq.jpg

Idk what I'm looking for, but your characters little avatar picture looks hawt. :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dysk is my tasty chimichanga. <3
  • Kilala - Lost City
    Kilala - Lost City Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^

Idk what I'm looking for, but your characters little avatar picture looks hawt. :3

what your looking at is me pulling alot of mobs at one time,sometimes i lure about 40 at a time and 2 shot them with aoe.From all that i can get 0 to a couple of dq.If anyone is new to doing this and whitch i do see new cashshopers doing this now for dq points.Its going to take a loooooong time to get your medals this way.So have fun...I bet dev's will take the medals of glory out of the dq rewards when they find out people arent buying them.b:laugh
    Also i am selling DQ 10k each if you want to buy mineb:thanks
  • Born_Again_ - Sanctuary
    Born_Again_ - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This has been said so many times before:

The drops from a mob is constant on the server, the more players grind on 1 type of mob, the droprates fall. b:sad

I can confirm, that my droprates are better when i farm on different mob types, then on only a single mob. b:cute

The problem is really you don't want to mix ranged and melee mobs when you aoe, thus paying the price of having lower droprates. b:thanks

If you look at how PWE has placed the mobs in mixed clusters, it is to make grinding more difficult, and harder to get a profit. Players want cash quick and easy, PWE wants just the opposite. This battle will continue as long as the game exists.

ktnxbai
    b:heart C. G. C. b:heart
    - a guild/faction on many servers, where ethics and behaviour actually matters and makes a differense

b:pleased

facebook.com/group.php?gid=22920649068
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=348361
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    snusmumru wrote: »
    HI, everyone!! Is it just me, or drop rates are really really low on any monsters... I can spend an hour farming and get just 2-3 mats... I get only coins (if that) for the best part. I know that there was the x2 drop rate on thanksgiving weekend, but even before that i had much better drop rate.. Please help :) I am a bit frustrated.. Thanks for any respond in advance...
    Thanks for the further evidence that after a 2x people magically think that 1x becomes more like 0.5x or 0x. You get less drops from 2x to 1x, you want more drops, so are already have a predisposition to think that drops are nerfed even more when you get a string of bad luck in drops.

The drop rate is fine and 1x hasn't changed, and neither has the consistency of whining about drops post-2x.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This has been said so many times before:
    I've never heard this before.
    The drops from a mob is constant on the server, the more players grind on 1 type of mob, the droprates fall. b:sad
    As far as I'm aware, that's totally untrue. Drop rates vary on a mob depending on relative levels. If you're a higher level than the mob by more than two levels, then the drop rate is lowered. If you're in a squad, then it's based on the level of the highest squad member in range of the kill (meaning, in range to get EXP from the kill). See How drop rate is calculated for the exact numbers.
    I can confirm, that my droprates are better when i farm on different mob types, then on only a single mob. b:cute
    Confirm how? Guessing based on small samples, anecdotal evidence, and expectation bias? I'd prefer something based on significant sample sizes that is statistically sound, because humans are inherently bad at doing off the cuff statistics. Our brains simply aren't cut out for complex estimations without actually doing the math, because our biases and expectations usually get in the way. (Don't believe me? Look up the Monty Hall problem some time.)

You may be right, but I find it unlikely, and I'd like to see some real numbers before I'll believe it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Born_Again_ - Sanctuary
    Born_Again_ - Sanctuary Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I been looking all over the forums for the topic i remember this from, but it seems to be gone or i search for the wrong keywords. It was one of the numerous threads about the 20% lowering of DQ prizes, in that thread a GM or a MOD confirmed this to be true (im sry i no longer can prove this).

b:surrender

And yes this has been discussed many times before (been here from the start, as prob many of you have also). Memory will mess things up when flooded (by trolls lol), so Sangodoc will be the person to listen to in this case (i think).

This is not the droprates I am referring to:
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    See How drop rate is calculated for the exact numbers.

These are the best explanation from the playerbase i could find, about the issue at hand (nr.1 explains exactly what i'm referring to):

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3674822#post3674822
    Personally I wonder if the devs have set drop-rates to be lower when there's a higher concentration of players online, perhaps in order to prevent the game being overloaded with coin.

I've been testing this a bit lately. 3 dq items and 1 necklace from 100 seaweed thieves at peak time, and dq drops and items every 3-4 mobs off the same 100 early morning. And I've been told thieves have an "amazing drop-rate" so I can't say it's just the mob.
    Same on Deathknights. Usually 80k from a 2 hour grind at peak, 250k off peak. And I've done at least 50 OMA's on those guys so I should know :p

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=3687202#post3687202
    vopinguyen wrote: »
    I've noticed in the pwidatabase that drop rates of TT mats have been changed b:cryb:cry Giant Beast Armor drop rate is 59% =.=. Last time I checked, it was 79% or somethings.

I am sry that there no longer exist an official statement on the matter, maybe the devs can confirm or maybe they don't comment on such issues I dunno.

ktnxbai
    b:heart C. G. C. b:heart
    - a guild/faction on many servers, where ethics and behaviour actually matters and makes a differense

b:pleased

facebook.com/group.php?gid=22920649068
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=348361
  • Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear
    Aneurysmal - Heavens Tear Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Incorrect.

Use a previous double drop event during which I was farming lunar as example, before the event, all bosses dropped 5 essences and the last bosses either had a 75% or 50% chance of a gold drop (depending on which boss/gold). During the event week 1, the bosses all dropped 10 essences and the rest held to pretty consistant accuracy on the last bosses rates. Maintenance in the middle of the 2x event, every boss's drops were reduced by 2 (1 if normal drop) and could randomly be replaced by mirages, the last bosses rates were changed to 50% and 25% on the gold mats.

There's plenty examples of this elsewhere.

Please fix your "research", happy gaming.
    Main:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alts:
    Lypiphera 101 Cleric
    Incompetance 100 Blademaster
    MetalPenguin 101 Seeker

b:dirtySolara_Craft/Disarmonia_Xb:dirty
  • XXagonyXx - Heavens Tear
    XXagonyXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    <script src='http://img841.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=derpq.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript>derpq.jpg</noscript>

interesting window title for the client :)
  • Masuna - Harshlands
    Masuna - Harshlands Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What you people didnt know? They lower the drop rate slighty after every 2x drop event, Thinking that we dont notice b:avoid
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Options

Lunar seems to be different. I've compared the game files from CN (2006-2007), another one around 2008 and then PWI ones (v402) and all the mobs/bosses I checked had their drop rates untouched.

Of course it's possible that the changes were done in somewhere else than in the elements.data so it wouldn't show up in the game files.
  • pkveno
    pkveno Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    interesting window title for the client :)

Lol, I noticed that too.. b:laughb:laughb:laugh
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Incorrect.

Use a previous double drop event during which I was farming lunar as example, before the event, all bosses dropped 5 essences and the last bosses either had a 75% or 50% chance of a gold drop (depending on which boss/gold). During the event week 1, the bosses all dropped 10 essences and the rest held to pretty consistant accuracy on the last bosses rates. Maintenance in the middle of the 2x event, every boss's drops were reduced by 2 (1 if normal drop) and could randomly be replaced by mirages, the last bosses rates were changed to 50% and 25% on the gold mats.

There's plenty examples of this elsewhere.

I don't have enough information about your data above. What was your sample size? What were the exact number of each of the drops on each run, both before and after x2? How did you record and verify the data from all of your runs? The above doesn't sound at all conclusive to me, it just sounds like more useless subjective anecdotal evidence.

I'd really love for one of these people who claim lower drop rates to actually have evidence one of these times, because they never do seem to have it. b:surrender

Kupuntu's evidence is still far more compelling than yours, since it comes straight from the game's data files.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Oh, I forgot, drop rates for mobs in Warsong were changed as well. Mobs used to drop up to two essences during 2x. Now the maximum they drop is 1. This was changed somewhere after the 2x drop event happened and has been that way since.

Not sure if the bosses drop rate changed. But they took out the rewards chests because they contained Perfect Tokens of Best Luck.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • mantustr
    mantustr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

Ya, and do this in 1 moment. That's the only way to really prove the drop rates aren't being minapulated from 1 minute, hour, day, week to the next. How about data of a 100.000 mobs a day after a 2x event compared to 100.000 a day before one. I bet you notice a difference.

I didn't farm mobs during the 2x event. I noticed that the drop rate is down by far when I tried to farm a few days afterwards. My brother who is a truck driver and wasn't playing during the 2x drop noticed it as well when he got home.

Not only that. I am only concerned with one specific mob. Basilisk Madtooths. I am level 81 and my brother is level 100. Since I was level 9 and we have AoE'ed this mob with his BM. Only doing my BHs up to level 70, and doing my dailies every day. Other than that we AoE Basilisks.

Two days after the event we both only got 10 DQs per hour. Before the event we were both getting 35-45 of each condensed orbs and fine orbs. As of today each character is getting 15-25 of each.. the number slowly rising.

We kill around 40 to 50 basilisk every 2 minutes. Since we started this he has gotten 63% into level 101 (4.2 million exp). I would say that after doing this for 4 months we understand the fluctuation in good luck vs bad luck per hour from drops off these mobs.

The drop rates are lower..

Edit: Oh and we're both getting less enthusiastic about logging in because of it.
  • DraknessDuir - Sanctuary
    DraknessDuir - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I can only say this. Before 2x I made about 200k-300k an hour grinding on my BM at Nightscream. During, I grinded about 900k an hour. Now I'm grinding about 100k an hour. So...
    1. that was more than 2x
    2. drop rates aren't constant

and no, I didn't level.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Was doing uni forest mobs for both DQ and wraith spirits and due to my limited experience/samples relative to others' we must be damn near double drops right now.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I did TT1-1 and TT1-2 last night with a group for Chrono Key quest. Let's just say, out of both runs, a WHOPPING 4 mats dropped. 1 Chientien's Edge, 1 Broken Drum, 1 Framework of Drum, and a Soulgatherer's Tentacle I think. Vipenault didn't even drop mirages or chi stones in 1-2. And yes, we did it in squad mode.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I've actually done a lot of grinding on my veno (lvl 65), mainly to make money saving for a herc (dont ask, since new packs raised prices i need another 60mill) ....

I get the impression that the drops change for certain times of the day although i havent paid much attention to when.

The other day I was grinding on Acephalid Riders (lvl 66 i think) and made okay (what i thought were probably normal percentages) drops then yesterday I did more and I swear for about 20-30 mobs I got 2 dq drops and some pots.

Then I did some Vampiric Minions (lvl 68 maybe) and after 20 mobs had no drops so i stopped.

Recently i did all the quests around tusk town and the drops seemed okay, plus i grinded on lvl 62-65 mobs south of Villiage of Dreaming Cloud and the drops were okay. Maybe the pwdatabase just needs to be update with the mobs new drop rates if there are some, and times of the day when they are better or worse????
  • krelianmage
    krelianmage Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    just take snowmen as example: now their drop rate has been clearly nerfed.

Other years snowmen droped like 90% of the time chi stones, and sometimes some rare drops like perf stones and mirages. now they drop chi stones less than 50% of the time from what i seen...

Since i dont think they would nerf one mob drop rate individually, my guess is that they nerfed all server drop rate and snowmen drops just reflect that.

But then again, its just my guess.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Options
    just take snowmen as example: now their drop rate has been clearly nerfed.

Other years snowmen droped like 90% of the time chi stones, and sometimes some rare drops like perf stones and mirages. now they drop chi stones less than 50% of the time from what i seen...

Since i dont think they would nerf one mob drop rate individually, my guess is that they nerfed all server drop rate and snowmen drops just reflect that.

But then again, its just my guess.

Snowmen (PWI):

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/13641

Chance of 0 items: 95%
    Chance of 3 items: 5%
    Droprate is counted # times: 5

The (real) dropchance of most common chi stone: 19.6%

Snowmen (CN):

Just the same.

Snowmen (the most common one you can't mention here):

Just the same.

I cannot open PWI files pre-v402 so I cannot confirm if the drop rates have been nerfed. It is possible and it sure feels like it, but... I need to confirm it first.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This is what happens when you try to count drops with numbers like "a lot" and "not enough". Come back when you decide to compare using exotic numbers like "23".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html