How do I stop losing EXP?

ChidoriNeko - Heavens Tear
ChidoriNeko - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
Okay, as you can see from my avatar, my Cleric is lvl 17. Everytime I die, I lose 3000 EXP or so and this makes it hard for me to level up. I've finished all the level 17 (and those below it) quests and all I have left are the Mongoose King, Ursog Cheif and Solo Missions. (and I have a feeling I'll die every three monsters I kill... >_>)

Someone help meeeee...?

And, where can I get Hyper EXP stones? I need them!
Post edited by ChidoriNeko - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Sure sounds like a troll.

In case it's not:
    You only stop losing experience if you buy Guardian Scrolls. They can be gotten from the Boutique, or you can exchange Tokens of Luck for them at any PW Boutique Agent. Every time you die, one Guardian Scroll is used and you lose no experience nor can drop any items.

As for Hyper Stones:
    You do not need them at that level. In case you do however want to get them, you can buy them from the Boutique or exchange Tokens of Luck for them at any PW Boutique Agent.

You can buy Tokens of Luck from players, or you can get some of them from Sunshine Pack, Year of the Tiger Pack or the Lucky Coral, items which are sold in the Boutique or which you can buy from the players.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Simple answer is don't die. b:chuckle
    Though there a quest need you to die . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • ChidoriNeko - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2010
    So what am I going to do to earn more EXP? There's nothing left I can do. And yes, I was right about the death-per-three-monters thing. -_-"
    edited December 2010
    That mean you should learn the basic grinding of cleric. b:pleased
    Important skill :

Great Cyclone = to slow down target
    Plume Shot = deal physical & magical damage (note : work like missile not instantly hit)

Basically just use those 2 and kill monster before they reach you :
    1. Some people prefer to cyclone first then plume
    2. Some people prefer to plume first then cyclone

Why different ? :
    1. The target slowed down right away then you use plume shot
    2. Plume didn't instantly hit the target so while the missile coming you can cast the cyclone
    (the 2nd is like when plume still on the way of hitting the target you already start casting cyclone)
    but it preferences anyway

Good luck . . a bit though but a lot easier than wizard. b:victory Especially because cleric has iron heart and plume shell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NiaJade - Harshlands
    NiaJade - Harshlands Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Okay, as you can see from my avatar, my Cleric is lvl 17. Everytime I die, I lose 3000 EXP or so and this makes it hard for me to level up. I've finished all the level 17 (and those below it) quests and all I have left are the Mongoose King, Ursog Cheif and Solo Missions. (and I have a feeling I'll die every three monsters I kill... >_>)

Someone help meeeee...?

And, where can I get Hyper EXP stones? I need them!

I feel for you.

I have this very VERY bad habit of spotting a new boss/mob and .. wondering to myself 'Hummm wonder if i can kill them yet'... Usually me dying means.. no.

I'd recommend you try to find a melee type to party with, and actually at your level this is a good idea. The ones you like, you Friend and later on, you will see how this benefits you all.

Before you attack, give yourself a few puffs of heal so they stack, this might help a tiny bit.

And don't worry, you will get strong - and hey, thank you for coming here to ask instead of allowing it to frustrate you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Okay, it's official: I'm not going to level up anytime soon. I'm at 35.9 % (6148 out of 17595) and no more quests left.

I've played a Cleric before... it's the only class I like. Ever since June, I've been playing a Cleric until I lost my password. By the way, Thunderball isn't useful.

I can't just go and ask a melee player 'Yo, I need a hand. Can you help?' I mean, haven't they got better things to do than stalk around with me all day? >_> Thanks for the advice tho. *totally downspirited*
    edited December 2010
    If you have played it before . . why are you died a lot ? b:surrender
    If you not dying at all (or just once or twice) the quest is actually over flowing and some quest will still left unfinished when reaching lv 20 where we got tons new quest at once
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    That's because I was lvl 15 at that time. And, without doing any quests, I don't think I can gain much EXP... unless I go help players kill the Venomancer Siren and the Seduced Elf. b:sad
    edited December 2010
    That's because I was lvl 15 at that time. And, without doing any quests, I don't think I can gain much EXP... unless I go help players kill the Venomancer Siren and the Seduced Elf. b:sad

Eh . . very weird didn't you should have plenty quest to reach lv 20.
    Well expect if you keep dying. Check my earlier post again and :

1. Make sure you have those grinding skills at highest lv (at last for now) But keep them on the same lv. If not you have to run a bit after cast plume shot because cyclone cast range is longer or the opposite. So keep them at same lv instead of leveling one of them first.
    (not really a problem though to lv cyclone first, but usually plume already available first to lv)

2. Learn to calculate the chances of dying and how many you can take. Like for example after do plume cyclone combo to some mobs, you realize before died the mob always able to deal two or more hits to you. On these case you have two options :
    - Kite or running while casting the spell to keep your range with them
    - Prepare IH or ironheart before start getting hit so IH heal your wound
    (usually a good choice vs ranged mobs)

3. Always check find quest on quest list
    4. Try to not died a lot b:chuckle

It will be a lot frustating later if you don't master those first. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Make sure your equipment is up to date - at level 17, you should be wearing mostly level 3 gear. You'll kill quicker, and survive hits better, with better gear.

Ironheart blessing and plume shot alternated give clerics much more survivability against physical attacks than, say, wizards.

Your natural prey as a cleric are mobs that do magical damage... especially those doing it over time. The girls by the sentry on Vibrant Cliffs use a poison attack (wood damage over time) if I remember right, so go grind on those if you are truly out of quests. The moist blobs in the same area are slow, and you should be able to kill them before they reach you if you want some variety. It doesn't take much grinding at that level to level... so go out there and level (and find ways to fight without dying so much. Discovery of new tactics is part of the fun of a game.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited December 2010
    Make sure your equipment is up to date - at level 17, you should be wearing mostly level 3 gear. You'll kill quicker, and survive hits better, with better gear.

Ironheart blessing and plume shot alternated give clerics much more survivability against physical attacks than, say, wizards.
    right
    Your natural prey as a cleric are mobs that do magical damage... especially those doing it over time. The girls by the sentry on Vibrant Cliffs use a poison attack (wood damage over time) if I remember right, so go grind on those if you are truly out of quests. The moist blobs in the same area are slow, and you should be able to kill them before they reach you if you want some variety. It doesn't take much grinding at that level to level... so go out there and level (and find ways to fight without dying so much. Discovery of new tactics is part of the fun of a game.)

I don't think hunting poison mobs is good idea at that lv
    Especially since it stack + cleric didn't have purify until lv 29

And from what i see on her post, she didn't died just because the mob killed her but also because she didn't notice her hp too or maybe not patient enough . . b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, those helped a lot! <3

But it's the aggros I hate. They keep chasing me and killing me (aka Forest Wolflings :P). Thanks for the advice, all of you! <3

edit:: actually, I kept healing myself between every monster and took a mana potion when my mana was down to less than 25%. But the gear thing... I'll check. You have no idea how much you guys helped, thanks! <33333333
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, playing a "squishy" char --- a really squishy one, not one that has skills to unsquishy them like Venomancers --- is all about knowing/learning what you can or rather cannot do. And learning about the monster-AI --- how they "think".

For example, attacking a monster will also alert nearby monsters --- you don't usually want this. So, pick out the lonelies, even if it means scouting the area a bit. Find a place where monsters are spread thin, stay at the edge of an area. Get a feel for the "safe" range, and get used to watching your surroundings. 360 degree.

In Perfect World, monsters have a few seconds delay when they respawn, so if a monster respawns close to you, run. In accordance with what I said about attacks and nearby monsters, get used to not only thinking about yourself when you run --- think about where the monster you've been attacking will run to as well.

Don't be afraid to run. If things get out of hand, get out as soon as you notice things going wrong. People usually don't get killed by running too early, they just loose time. People DO get killed by running too late, and they loose time and experience. Being a hero usually means you're dead, so don't strive for that title.

If you still have hitpoints, a couple ranged hits before you get out of range won't kill you. You're an elf even --- summon your wings and escape away and UP. Unless there are evil birds nearby, of course.

Don't fight when you're damaged. Heal yourself first, or medidate to recharge health and mana. Over time you might be able to take more than one monster before recharging, based on KNOWING they'll not take more than some amount of HP. Just because a monster type you haven't dealt with before managed to miss you three times doesn't mean they're all clumsy like that. Get used first, then get bold if you really need to.

Get help for bosses. Yes, this includes the small bosses that you get for some early quests. They might be soloable, but they might still require experience and gear to do it. Play unfair, rally the troops and bully the boss. Or ask someone with those stylish armors and glowing weapons who happens to be nearby.

Etc. etc. etc...
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Ixiya - Sanctuary
    Ixiya - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    ^ Clerics have Plume Shield which makes them a lot less squishy to phys mobs. I don't really recall WHAT level you get it though ._o; As a cleric, you have to remember your advantage over all other classes. Healing yourself. Wellspring surge yourself whenever you get low. If the mob can take you out in 2-3 hits... then you may want to find something better to grind on. That or stacking yourself with IH a couple times does wonders as well.

Alternate between Great Cyclone and Plume shot, if there is mag resist then just stick to Plume Shot. It's phys damage. If you do have plume shield, then use it! It costs mana, but you have pots for that. As I said to another cleric who refused to: "Wasted mana is better than a dead cleric."

After you get accustomed to using your cleric, you'll discover some great offensive potential that most don't even know lies there. I myself would often end up taking two or three mobs my level(since I accidently aggro) and you know how I do it? Wellspring surge. b:pleased But don't be taking chances. If your in danger, fly away. If your out of MP, run away. If you feel like your in danger of aggroing another mob, fly away!

Aaand when it comes to armor, try to get the ones with +HP or +Vit and Phys resist. At your level, you probably don't have to worry about it much. But as you get to later levels check the AH for -channeling, +Hp/Vit(hp works out better usually since vit only gives you so little hp), and phys res. Don't just get all phys res if your pure mag. If your a vit hybrid, you can afford to put a little more in phys res but you still need that hp. Getting a weapon with added damage is a good way to offset the less damage you make.
  • Morell - Lost City
    Morell - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    omg, i never make fun of a person for asking a question but i kinda loled on this one.

1st you re so low lvl that the exp you lose is VERY easy to get back..its nothing..

2nd as this game s not like mario or pac man, you dont have lives or the game is over.. so there has to be an incentive to make you try not to die.

3rd dont die. its not so hard. but you have to be really bad at this to die every 3 mobs. which means there are some stuff that you havent discovered yet, that are actually essencial. the game is not THAT hard to play. if nothing works there s the option of running away.

and lastly,

this game has a learning period like every game and you re still in the learning period. you ll do the serious work for leveling and playing after your bh s starts, you ll get exp from bh s, fb s, craz stone... and grinding will also start to look more attractive as you ll start to make good money from drops.. which you cant, at low lvls. dont worry about exp loss at lvl 17, you ll laugh at this post when you ll get to high lvls..
  • LustfulAura - Heavens Tear
    LustfulAura - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Quoted For Truth, I was the same way on my other account when my Cleric was low lvl but once you get the hang of your healing and attack alternating it gets easier:)
  • Excelsis_ - Heavens Tear
    Excelsis_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    hey. I have read your thread, and am more than willing to offer a hand. I am also a cleric, understand the difficulties of leveling. I'm better at showing along with explaining, so if you need any help for any thing, I'm Excelsis_ on heavens tear server. Hope to hear from you!
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Really, I say just look around for people to squad with. Low level cleric's are a pain in the butt to keep alive.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Kosame - Dreamweaver
    Kosame - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Clerics, especially the pure mag build, is a real annoyance to level that early on, but do try to get into the habit of finding a safe area to fight from (no wandering aggro mobs), and alternate between Cyclone (does magical dmg as well as slows mob down), Plume Shot (does physical dmg) and Iron heart (a quick heal over time might just mean the difference between making it and dying) plus tossing up a Plume shell helps immensely.

Just take your time, exping on wood type mobs are actually easier since clerics deal metal dmg so wood mobs will die sooner, only down side is they tend to toss poison at you, so to compensate, toss Ironheart more often to overcome the poison's effect (watch that mp). another alternative is try killing flying mobs. Flying and water mobs tend to give slightly more exp, and if you have to escape... just drop to the ground (watch what's below 1st though).

And since clerics have higher magic resist, I'd say try to fight magic mobs, they'll try to cast at a distance, check how much dmg you're taking, and use plume shot (since magic mobs tend to be weak to physical dmg) and alternate with IH cures as needed. Try to find a nice easy combo that works reliably for you and rest often. No need to rush through mobs, they'll still be there. it does get alot easier once you get to like... 44 for Wield Thunder!
  • lyfezx
    lyfezx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Dont die, you lose 5% of your exp i think if you die.
  • Flyssa - Sanctuary
    Flyssa - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    This is indeed an easy fix. Stop dying! If you are unconfident in your abilities to survive a hit or two from mobs around your level, cast an Iron Heart before each mob.
    Grinding as a cleric can be tricky but maybe later on you'll find that your heals and buffs make things quite simple b:chuckle
    edited December 2010
    So no more news of her progress ? b:laugh
    I think playing cleric is a lot more easy to survive at early lv rather than wizard.
    Or assassin on 1x ~ 2x if not used to melee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Garra_ - Harshlands
    _Garra_ - Harshlands Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Umm dont die? that will make u not lose EXP lmao
  • Malivon - Heavens Tear
    Malivon - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    lololol my troll senses are tingling....

but just in case you're sincere...

cyclone/plume bolt!
    add some vit !
    do some crafting for decent phys def necklace and belt...

I don't play it any more but my cleric made it all the way to level 39 without ever dying.
    I actually had to go intentionally die for the culti quest.

The only thing i can recommend is use a "Vit build" (i used 3 mag, 2 vit every even level and 3 mag, 1 str, 1 vit every odd level, and yeah i can hear the cries of outrage from magic purist) use the best phys def jewelry you can get/make.

Many players will say pure mag is better for damage, and thus will help you survive, but that doesn't seem to be the case at lower levels (and can also cause trouble when you try to solo heal for some bosses later) This is pure opinion, but light armor (LA) cleric just seems like a waste... (caveat: seems as though just about ANY build works if
    you got the time and cash to put into it)

anyways I'm assuming that you're:
    A, casual player, and
    B, not yet spending in cash shop
    that being said here is a look at both builds (pure magic and vit) at level 60 if you were to invetst about 400-600k coins (not counting tt weap)

Vit Build:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=e0677c84b9e34ec1

Mag Build:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=0ace19097f725ae7

Keep in mind this is for lower levels, around about lvl 50-60 or so, you WILL want to consider resating for more magic, and eventually you'll want to take a more active roll than just coping what we in the forums are saying to do
  • Malivon - Heavens Tear
    Malivon - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    OH! aso avoid mobs with the increased hp special add-on! increased speed mobs can cause trouble as well!!