First FC run advice please

Options
khaili
khaili Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Venomancer
I went on my first FC run yesterday witha a lvl90+ veno opening the door for us as we were all under lvl85, i'm kind of confused because she didnt have her pet out at all for the whole run, spark the barb/cleric, amp or bramble the barb even once.

I was wondering if its normal not to use a pet in fc? To be honest my pet died twice at the boss with the exploding circles until i worked out the timing with pulling him back, would i have been better off not using my pet there?

I was also told to stow my pet on the boss with the clone as its a bad idea to use a pet against him, again im not really sure why, I didnt have reflect on my herc to draw aggro from the clone so wouldnt it be better to maximise my DD?

My last question is, should i not use aoe spells in fc? She said at the begging of the run when i was using noxious that i shouldnt aoe because id just end up dying.

Would really appreciate some advice with what i should and shouldnt do in fc.
Post edited by khaili on

Comments

• Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I went on my first FC run yesterday witha a lvl90+ veno opening the door for us as we were all under lvl85, i'm kind of confused because she didnt have her pet out at all for the whole run, spark the barb/cleric, amp or bramble the barb even once.

Always make sure to keep bramble on the barb (or bm, if they want) and chi the cleric or barb if they ask. Sometimes they wont ask, but it's safe to assume that they have chi pots, cloud eruption, or they are sage. If they do ask for chi, just pass. and always make sure that amp is on the bosses (one exception is the shout and run boss... if you dont feel comfortable getting close to him, try to keep ironwood up on it if you can.)
    I was wondering if its normal not to use a pet in fc? To be honest my pet died twice at the boss with the exploding circles until i worked out the timing with pulling him back, would i have been better off not using my pet there?

I usually dont use my herc during the mob pulls (he just stands there)... but if i do use him during pulls, I get him to aggro the mob groups, then i just aoe and take aggro, and use genie heals to heal myself. My herc, when it can hold aggro against sins/ int bms tanks every boss in Fcc except fragrance. Yes, this includes the first boss, and the shout and run boss.
    I was also told to stow my pet on the boss with the clone as its a bad idea to use a pet against him, again im not really sure why, I didnt have reflect on my herc to draw aggro from the clone so wouldnt it be better to maximise my DD?

I'm going to assume your talking about the boss in the big room. If so, no, don't stow your pet. My herc ends up tanking that boss. So just keep w/e pet you have on the boss. Do not attack it's clone. It won't aggro, but if you attack it, it deals 5k damage to the squad. Also, if the hands go untouched, the same thing happens, but it's not the veno's job to get the hands.
    My last question is, should i not use aoe spells in fc? She said at the begging of the run when i was using noxious that i shouldnt aoe because id just end up dying.

No, please do aoe nova and nox gas are your friends in Fcc. But, if your scared of taking aggro and dying, just make sure that aggro is on the tank. If you do take aggro, BB should probably be enough to keep you alive.... if not, bramble hood, feral concentration, pot, w/e you have to do to stay alive. Dying should only be a last option.
    Would really appreciate some advice with what i should and shouldnt do in fc.

Basically everything that veno told you is wrong.
    >.<
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Um wow. That veno was an idiot, is all I can say.

I've not done much frost, but the things I do know are:

There are two bosses (the very first one, and super-whirling-slashy-dude) who kill pets like nobodies business. You CAN avoid it with proper use of 'follow me' but mistakes happen. Summon the next pet and keep killing.

The boss at the heads room does two things that are bad:
    1. He summons clappers, that will clap the whole room. A ranged pet is wonderful to kill these with, an archer is better.
    2. He summons mini-guys, who explode if hit. Do not hit them. Do not let your PET hit them. Do NOT use AOE attacks on this guy (unless you're really really experienced)

Apart from that - your pet will be fine. May or may not be able to tank (probably not pre 85)

The non-boss bits.
    The rolling-zhenn. Try not to let your pet get aggro, nor to drag enemies out of the zhenn. Use your AOEs like crazy, but not until there's some decent aggro buildup from the others and/or they've been stunned.

The harpies. Ranged pet. Hate the harpies SO much. Whoever thought giving flying-elves bows was a good idea, anyway?

The bishops/blue-foxies/other stunny things.
    If you have pounce on any of your pets, it's well worth adding that to the stunning. Make sure you time it though, and don't just cancel a longer-stun from someone else.
    AOE is, again, your friend.

Edit: The easiest way to deal with chi is to just lending-hand the cleric the instant the bubble goes up. If you have more chi, and lending hand has cooled-down, then throw it to whoever asks - but that bubble is probably most vital.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    stop waste ur time read half side <.<

read this:

ur job as VENO in FC =

- Give chi
    - aoe mobs
    -amfy alot on bosses ir mobs that have much hp/def
    - save the clerc, kill those hapies - they atk clerc <.< w she/he heal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

read this:

ur job as VENO in FC =

- Give chi
    - aoe mobs

ur post (except from basic grammar leaks) doesnt give that much info as the posters above ,

Vitenka , Ms_HopToIt , excellent work , it helped me for the future too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ms_HopToIt and Vitenka pretty much covered it. I'd add that in lower DD squads, you may want to use soul degeneration on a couple bosses, such as the giant nix, since they have high regens as far as bosses go and a somewhat nasty leech. Also, I always found it easiest to amp the whirling slash boss right at the beginning of the fight and then again after he's selected his target after his pelvic thrust. That should give you enough time to run in and then run back out if you don't feel comfortable being up and close.
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ms_HopToIt and Vitenka pretty much covered it. I'd add that in lower DD squads, you may want to use soul degeneration on a couple bosses, such as the giant nix, since they have high regens as far as bosses go and a somewhat nasty leech. Also, I always found it easiest to amp the whirling slash boss right at the beginning of the fight and then again after he's selected his target after his pelvic thrust. That should give you enough time to run in and then run back out if you don't feel comfortable being up and close.

When I was running in 8x squads, I used to amp the Adawolf boss while everyone could attack it, then use soul degen right before we had to run away. Now I just amp, because most squads at 95+ kill it so fast anyways.
    >.<
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options

read this:

ur job as VENO in FC =

- Give chi
    - aoe mobs

Thank for leaving out important details, like tanking bosses with the exception of about 3 or 4, or sometimes, all of them except fragrance. And how you should NOT AOE the exp room boss. Not everything is common sense you know, especially when you enter the unknown for the first time. Don't forget about ironwood and extreme poison. Amp aint all that great by itself. And lets not forget that around 380,000-400,000hp(or just be ready when it's at half hp), you need to purge Holeen(form 2).
  • khaili
    khaili Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Always make sure to keep bramble on the barb

I waited for a while expecting that she would bramble the tank as her bramble would add the extra 15% from demon, when that didn't happen i made sure to keep him brambled myself.
    The easiest way to deal with chi is to just lending-hand the cleric the instant the bubble goes up. If you have more chi, and lending hand has cooled-down, then throw it to whoever asks

To be honest i havn't spent a great deal of time with squads and i'm still a little bit unsure how often i should spark the tank so i usually spark the cleric when they use BB and the tank everytime cooldown ends, would i be better off using the 2 sparks for Parasitic Nova and only spark the tank when asked?
    I'm going to assume your talking about the boss in the big room. If so, no, don't stow your pet. My herc ends up tanking that boss. So just keep w/e pet you have on the boss. Do not attack it's clone. It won't aggro, but if you attack it, it deals 5k damage to the squad. Also, if the hands go untouched, the same thing happens, but it's not the veno's job to get the hands.
    A ranged pet is wonderful to kill these with, an archer is better.

The veno said that we should all conentrate on attacking the boss and she would take care of the hands, we were nearly finished with the boss when all of a sudden we all died. I guess her attacking them with her sword wasn't a good idea....
    But, if your scared of taking aggro and dying, just make sure that aggro is on the tank.

She was demon sparking a lot and stealing aggro from the tank, she died 4 times doing it and got the cleric killed twice. I tried using my pet to get the mobs off the cleric and brambled myself to try and attract them to me but it wasn't much use, my genie will be able to add 1 more spell soon and i was wondering if there is a genie skill that would be helpful in that situation?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions, the advice i've gotten is very helpful. :)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    She was demon sparking a lot and stealing aggro from the tank, she died 4 times doing it and got the cleric killed twice. I tried using my pet to get the mobs off the cleric and brambled myself to try and attract them to me but it wasn't much use, my genie will be able to add 1 more spell soon and i was wondering if there is a genie skill that would be helpful in that situation?

Alpha male to grab aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The veno said that we should all conentrate on attacking the boss and she would take care of the hands, we were nearly finished with the boss when all of a sudden we all died. I guess her attacking them with her sword wasn't a good idea....
    The noobmancer was supposed to be tanking while someone else takes care of the hands -.-.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well, if they have a ranged pet, or a bow, they can deal with the hands. It's probably not the BEST use of them, but if they're the only one who's been before and/or the e
    least lagged, it can work.

But the rest of the story does make it pretty clear they just weren't very good.

Parasitic is great on the waves of mobs, though easy to steal aggro if you're not careful.
    Is it better to spark the tank? All I can say is "Sometimes" Depends on what happens.
    Keep the kitty happy!

Edit: And yes, alphamale is like the barbs roar.
  • Reix - Dreamweaver
    Reix - Dreamweaver Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I was told the first time I went in that the main things were:

1. Do not use a pet on the first boss, they only die. I've stayed with this in FC, the boss still dies the same and saves me Cookies for my Herc.
    2. Focus on Harpies if they are there, otherwise AoE. I leave my Herc out for the pulls cause I usually end up babysitting the Shade with him.
    3. Amp every chance I get, pass sparks when asked (otherwise, I forget and they're on their own) Bramble the tank and any/all BMs.
    4. Don't use a pet on the Wolf boss. THIS IS NOT TOTALLY TRUE: I always use a pet on him, though they do die every so often. All you have to do is set it to manual and call them back when he starts yelling. (Timing~) I've never really had an issue with it, but a faster pet works best, like the Kowlin.
    5. A pet is fine on the clone boss, but DO NOT AoE. I also look after hands under my own character, but that's my thing, I don't like having others have to do everything.
    6. Have Amp on the Flower boss as often as possible.

I don't know if that's really "proper Veno etiquette" but it's always worked for me.
    (And I think it's worked well, considering me, a level 90 Veno friend and one single level 78 BM cleared from the Bishop boss through Heads with no problem.)

Beyond that, it's probably good to have a good genie with Second Wind, Holy Path, The stun cancel skill (I forgot the name) or Relentless Courage. I never kept the stun skill cause I'm content to wait it out, which got me scolded by a 100 Cleric on the Bubble boss, however, it was somewhat uncalled for due to Second Wind saving my tail when he decided my face was delicious.

It all depends on if you're feeling daring or comfortable.
    And if I'm wrong and there's a better way, feel free to say so. I'd love to know, cause I'm usually all trial and error. (Read as: I get dead alot.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I was told the first time I went in that the main things were:

1. Do not use a pet on the first boss, they only die. I've stayed with this in FC, the boss still dies the same and saves me Cookies for my Herc.
    You can use pets on the first boss. Just pull them away with the circle comes up, or use a ranged pet. this same tactic can be used against the slash boss as well(if you're not herc tanking it. I've done that too). Use sage soul degeneration(if sage) on flower *****. xp reduction or not >>, that boss blows chunks of *** and takes 5 billion years to kill with her 0.0 channel stun attacks >_>.