Pre-paid cards are now taxed?

Options
Soulflames - Heavens Tear
Soulflames - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Cash Shop Huddle
So today i was so excited about buying $80 worth in gold but when i actually go to the counter to check them out they said "Your total is $85.56" i was like "excuse me?". they said the cards are now taxed so i couldnt afford since i only had $80 saved up. I ended up only getting 3 $20 cards for a total of $65.56 :( can someone confirm this please?

O btw all the other times i bought pre-paid cards they cost the value of the cards
example: 3 $20= $60 not $65.56 :(
Post edited by Soulflames - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Depends on store and state...

In most US states you CAN NOT tax prepaid cards such as that as it is only a 'currency transfer' not a sale UNLESS the company backing the cards themselves are required to tax them for w/e reason (such as you being in California they are required to collect taxes on them as they have a physical prescience in that state)

tl;dr tax laws are weird
  • Soulflames - Heavens Tear
    Soulflames - Heavens Tear Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This happened in Kansas btw xD
    Last week i bought $40 worth in gold at Walgreens and no tax
    but today i went to Gamestop and i got a tax XD idk what
    the world is coming to T_T
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Some prepaid cards already have the tax added on the card, and some don't. I don't know what prepaid card you used, but I'd personally use ultimate game card. The ones I get are $20.00 each, tax and all.
    >.<
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    sometimes the tax laws are written almost deliberately obscurely, and some parts of them were never drafted with much attention or care in the first place. it could be that if, let's say, nobody's had reason to lobby for a lot of legal attention to be paid to how things like prepaid cards "should" get taxed, that your local laws are simply ambiguous and weird. and in that case, the decision could come down to how much the store chain you're buying from feels the need to cover their legal butts just to make sure they're not accidentally failing to pay taxes on the things. it might change simply because the store gets a new head corporate lawyer, and that person thinks they need to be more careful about a law that might not be very clear to begin with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I say go to wallgreens and buy a cheap one from them to see. B4 anything is taxed there is normally atleast 2 months notice on local news. Chances are Gamestop entered it in their system wrong and the clerks wont question it unless someone makes a stink about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jamie_Rebecc - Dreamweaver
    Jamie_Rebecc - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well, in Georgia... Not taxed, but whenever I went to New york/Thousand Islands for my birthday, someone wanted to buy me some prepaid cards at gamestop... They were taxed. Should of asked about it at the clerk. I don't think in most states you are allowed to tax prepaid cards. I also got the regular pwi cards so idk... And you do know you could of gotten 70 $ of prepaid cards if you got 3 20's and a 10 right? The tax would still be below 80 $. But like I said, PWI cards
    Jamie_Rebecc 9X - Herced/Nixed venomancer of Dreamweaver
    Actual join date: 3/16/2009

Half way there on getting my beamhoof slicer b:dirty

Ex-Factions: Crusaders, Dynasty, HDT
  • _Nuriko_ - Lost City
    _Nuriko_ - Lost City Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Pennsylvania here, but only gamestop is charging tax as far as im aware, walmart and target still 10.00 or 20.00 exact
    Ahira is a spyb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • KingThis - Heavens Tear
    KingThis - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    whats this pre-paid CARD you speak of?
    I only know of CC (CreditCards)b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <3 SLITNOTb:chuckle
  • Toxic - Dreamweaver
    Toxic - Dreamweaver Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    About 6 or 7 months ago I went to Gamestop to get cards and all of a sudden they were taxed. I questioned it and the clerk said they had always been taxed, even though they never had been before, so I walked next door to Target and got my cards tax free.
    <3 Tapout <3
  • Enreillia - Sanctuary
    Enreillia - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well I know not to go GameStop to get my cards. Target and Wal-Mart always sell them tax free.
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    "Your total is $85.56" i was like "excuse me?". they said the cards are now taxed so i couldnt afford since i only had $80 saved up. I ended up only getting 3 $20 cards for a total of $65.56 :( can someone confirm this please?

What im trying to figure out is why there is 5.56 tax on both 80 and 60 dollars.... thats fishy... I dont think you got that number right or you had an added item and a hell of a coincidence.

On second thought, I think there wasnt tax and you just had an extra item....
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    When I spoke to the GameStop guy, who was actually one of the non-shady ones, he told me that the tax laws are starting to change on it and that Gamestop was hit first. It's happened to them on all prepaid cards (and he was livid that he had to start paying tax on his Xbox LIVE lol). I've seen it at a few other stores with different kinds of cards, but for the moment the only "safe" places seem to be Walmart and Target. I dont know if its just gaming stores in general, or if it will end up being everywhere, but thats how it is atm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • KingJoel - Raging Tide
    KingJoel - Raging Tide Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    "Your total is $85.56" i was like "excuse me?"

Lmao I feel ur Pain They Taxed me like that before too I was about to Just walk out lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide
    ToyMaker_NOT - Raging Tide Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Pennsylvania here, but only gamestop is charging tax as far as im aware, walmart and target still 10.00 or 20.00 exact

It's the same in California. Only Gamestop is charging tax, 7-11 and Target do not. I no longer go to Gamestop.
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Well, in Georgia... Not taxed, but whenever I went to New york/Thousand Islands for my birthday, someone wanted to buy me some prepaid cards at gamestop... They were taxed. Should of asked about it at the clerk. I don't think in most states you are allowed to tax prepaid cards. I also got the regular pwi cards so idk... And you do know you could of gotten 70 $ of prepaid cards if you got 3 20's and a 10 right? The tax would still be below 80 $. But like I said, PWI cards

LOL OMG my mom said this. she came back from gamestop and said they taxed the cards. i live in georgia too so it must've been added recently. so idk try Target they prob dont put tax on them. i think its just gamestop. money suckers >:O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ... i live in georgia too so it must've been added recently. so idk try Target they prob dont put tax on them. i think its just gamestop. money suckers >:O
    The money suckers would be the State of Georgia, not Gamestop... a retail merchant does not profit off a line-item described as "tax..." that's your state or city government (or in NYC both >.<). Now why these states would enforce tax collection specifically at a gaming retail merchant like Gamestop, and not the bigger general merchants like Walmart and Target, seems to make no sense... if there's a tax, it should apply everywhere or not at all.
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    When I still lived in New Jersery, prepaid cards were not taxed. I haven't checked since I moved here to North Carolina.

Sales taxes are supposed to go on "luxury items" aka things that are not necessities. State laws can vary this though (like Delware, who don't believe in taxes on items!) Basically, anything that's not food, water and clothing. Technically, a prepaid card is a luxury item.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • Pot_Head - Harshlands
    Pot_Head - Harshlands Posts: 701 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The cards are now taxed, just set up a paypal account and buy those prepaid credit cards from visa and use those. >:D
  • Jamie_Rebecc - Dreamweaver
    Jamie_Rebecc - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The cards are now taxed, just set up a paypal account and buy those prepaid credit cards from visa and use those. >:D

Don't give them ideas! They might try to figure out a way to tax credit cards. And yeah I just looked some stuff up. They have now taxed all pre-paid card items in Gamestop, not sure if its in all of the states though. And yes in Georgia it was added recently, not sure about Kansas though D: b:surrender
    Jamie_Rebecc 9X - Herced/Nixed venomancer of Dreamweaver
    Actual join date: 3/16/2009

Half way there on getting my beamhoof slicer b:dirty

Ex-Factions: Crusaders, Dynasty, HDT
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    "Your total is $85.56" i was like "excuse me?". they said the cards are now taxed so i couldnt afford since i only had $80 saved up. I ended up only getting 3 $20 cards for a total of $65.56 :( can someone confirm this please?

What im trying to figure out is why there is 5.56 tax on both 80 and 60 dollars.... thats fishy... I dont think you got that number right or you had an added item and a hell of a coincidence.

On second thought, I think there wasnt tax and you just had an extra item....

I read through the whole thread and was shocked to see your reply as the only one pointing this thing out.

$5.56 extra for a single $80 card?

and exactly $5.56 for three cards, each $20???

Something ain't right here...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The money suckers would be the State of Georgia, not Gamestop... a retail merchant does not profit off a line-item described as "tax..." that's your state or city government (or in NYC both >.<). Now why these states would enforce tax collection specifically at a gaming retail merchant like Gamestop, and not the bigger general merchants like Walmart and Target, seems to make no sense... if there's a tax, it should apply everywhere or not at all.

LOL i know that. xD

i was referring to the state, but i didn't phrase it correctly xD.

and yea why they would go for a store like gamestop, instead of the larger stores like Target, really confuses me too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    aww =/ ugh... Frankie, please explain about this. Thank you
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited November 2010
    Options
    aww =/ ugh... Frankie, please explain about this. Thank you

You don't get it do you...

PWE has NO control over Goverment regulated tax laws, stores carrying their cards ALSO have no control over tax laws they are REQUIRED to follow any and all Business and Tax laws in order to maintain the ability to continue serving people and making money

Every Government in the world has Taxes which are used to fund all kinds of things for the people under said Government... that is what they are there for...

Some states have absolutely no sales tax no matter what it is, some states have a relatively low sales tax (4% is the lowest I've seen) most have somewhere around 6%, and some of the more heavily populated states are higher then that (like New York which has 8.8%)

You really do look like an even bigger idiot then you already are saying **** like that...
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You don't get it do you...

PWE has NO control over Goverment regulated tax laws, stores carrying their cards ALSO have no control over tax laws they are REQUIRED to follow any and all Business and Tax laws in order to maintain the ability to continue serving people and making money

Every Government in the world has Taxes which are used to fund all kinds of things for the people under said Government... that is what they are there for...

Some states have absolutely no sales tax no matter what it is, some states have a relatively low sales tax (4% is the lowest I've seen) most have somewhere around 6%, and some of the more heavily populated states are higher then that (like New York which has 8.8%)

You really do look like an even bigger idiot then you already are saying **** like that...

I asked for Frankie to explain, not some random strange moron.
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lupumid - Sanctuary
    Lupumid - Sanctuary Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options

That "strange moron" actually gave you a completely reasonable answer but you just said "DEEERRRPPP tl;dr" and went about your trolling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited November 2010
    Options

Sigh...
  • Hairymanny - Sanctuary
    Hairymanny - Sanctuary Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    yea it's only gamestop, eagames that are taxing the pre-paid cards
  • Tanglewood - Raging Tide
    Tanglewood - Raging Tide Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    lol u couldnt save up an additional $5.56? lol get cardboard box lay it flat on the ground and start break danceing for tips you'll get the money by the end of the day
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Fuzzy moving this to the Cash Shop Huddle...

Perhaps the OP's question may find a true answer there.
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • Simi_P - Dreamweaver
    Simi_P - Dreamweaver Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The Gamestops in Ohio started charging tax on the PWI cards this past summer; and the Target's and Walmart's don't. When my fiance asked the clerk that was ringing us up (at Gamestop) why that was, he admited that he didn't know, AND that it was only on certain game cards that they were doing it. So, I'm not positive, but it seems to me that if it had something to do with a tax law; they would have to tax all of the game cards, not just certain ones. Anyhow, we just buy them at Target & Walmart now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]