Psy's V Wiz

Options
Ayz - Lost City
Ayz - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
edited December 2010 in Psychic
I play MMORPG's for PVP. The way i play PVP is that i enjoy hitting high, oneshotting things and dieing really quickly. Mages/Wizards used to play this role in pretty much all MMO's. Due to the new expansion, have psychics changed this? Basically what i am asking is; 'What hits harder, Wizard, or psychic'?
Post edited by Ayz - Lost City on

Comments

• Manakel - Lost City
    Manakel - Lost City Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Wiz are still highest damage per hit, period. Psychics are slightly less powerful than wizzies, but can fire more skills in the same period of time- so I think they are overall more powerful.
  • Necare - Harshlands
    Necare - Harshlands Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I play MMORPG's for PVP. The way i play PVP is that i enjoy hitting high, oneshotting things and dieing really quickly. Mages/Wizards used to play this role in pretty much all MMO's. Due to the new expansion, have psychics changed this? Basically what i am asking is; 'What hits harder, Wizard, or psychic'?

If that's your only need in PvP, keep your knife-fish.
    Once upon a time I was stuck in Hall of Deception.
    The Devs felt sorry for me having to smash lowbies all day, so they decided to promote me.
    I then rerolled a Psychic.
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    psy out DD wizys by a long shot, ...unfortuantly -_-, my psy makes my wizy look like a littly b****
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Wiz are still highest damage per hit, period. Psychics are slightly less powerful than wizzies, but can fire more skills in the same period of time- so I think they are overall more powerful.
    that's totally wrong psychics also outdmg wiz in dmg per hit even without black voodoo and with black voodoo on its even worse. Wiz dmg is the 2nd lowest dmg in game now only clerics deal less dmg than a wiz. Roll a fish if you want all the fun. Roll a wiz if you want to feel gimped all the time

greetz harm0wnie
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    that's totally wrong psychics also outdmg wiz in dmg per hit even without black voodoo and with black voodoo on its even worse. Wiz dmg is the 2nd lowest dmg in game now only clerics deal less dmg than a wiz. Roll a fish if you want all the fun. Roll a wiz if you want to feel gimped all the time

greetz harm0wnie

What drugs are you on?

Wizzie skills just plain hit harder. The INITIAL skills, yes, Psys hit harder if both classes use their basic skills, because they do the same damage for both classes but the Psy has black voodoo (DPH) and casts faster (DPS).
    On the more advanced skills, Psys hit a ceiling of 200% weapon damage + whatever additional whereas wizzie skills just keep going. I'd like to see Red Tide hit harder than BIDS, or Sandburst Blast outdo Sandstorm.

But yes, Psys blow wizzies out of the water DPS-wise. At least, as long as -channeling gear remains somewhat difficult to obtain. The thing people forget though is that DPH can be very useful PVP-wise in certain situations where it's easier to one hit a target than to whittle away at his HP.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What drugs are you on?

Wizzie skills just plain hit harder. The INITIAL skills, yes, Psys hit harder if both classes use their basic skills, because they do the same damage for both classes but the Psy has black voodoo (DPH) and casts faster (DPS).
    On the more advanced skills, Psys hit a ceiling of 200% weapon damage + whatever additional whereas wizzie skills just keep going. I'd like to see Red Tide hit harder than BIDS, or Sandburst Blast outdo Sandstorm.

But yes, Psys blow wizzies out of the water DPS-wise. At least, as long as -channeling gear remains somewhat difficult to obtain. The thing people forget though is that DPH can be very useful PVP-wise in certain situations where it's easier to one hit a target than to whittle away at his HP.

what about if u take the psy's lv 100 skills into account? i think the 2 spark one would hit higher than a bids due to psy's black voodoo...
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
  • KittyTaco - Lost City
    KittyTaco - Lost City Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    what about if u take the psy's lv 100 skills into account? i think the 2 spark one would hit higher than a bids due to psy's black voodoo...

sage/demon bids or just lvl 10 bids?
    with same gear and very similar weapon, yea stone smasher probably would hit a bit higher due to black voodoo
    but lvl 11 bids would so outdamage it.

Stone Smasher: 400% gear's magical attack and 10253.1 Earth damage.
    Lvl 10 BIDS: 500% of weapon damage plus 9648.9
    Lvl 11 BIDS: 500% of weapon damage plus 13955.0.

though maybe the extra 100% weapon damage on the BIDS would make it hit harder...maybe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    sage/demon bids or just lvl 10 bids?
    with same gear and very similar weapon, yea stone smasher probably would hit a bit higher due to black voodoo
    but lvl 11 bids would so outdamage it.

Stone Smasher: 400% gear's magical attack and 10253.1 Earth damage.
    Lvl 10 BIDS: 500% of weapon damage plus 9648.9
    Lvl 11 BIDS: 500% of weapon damage plus 13955.0.

though maybe the extra 100% weapon damage on the BIDS would make it hit harder...maybe.

well, a lvl100, 30mil skill after a long culti, 2 sparks, extremely long chan for a psy should hit hard... i mean,,,you can always manifest virtue...xd
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    What drugs are you on?

the average dmg difference between a psy and a wiz at my lvl is 7k with white voodoo effect
    you forgot the stacking effect of blessing with black voodoo

you should also consider sideeffects like bleed from red tide

@ThanosQRt --> wiz skills are horrible expensive too lvl 79 skill = 4 s stun that psy gets as normal skill ....
    edited November 2010
    Options
    @ThanosQRt --> wiz skills are horrible expensive too lvl 79 skill = 4 s stun that psy gets as normal skill ....

uum a lvl79 skill is ~1.7mil? to level up earth vector you need 4mil.. and it's still 85% chance to stun.

anyway all these wiz vs psy discussions... it's like arguing whether a snail or a snake is faster.. while a hare (plus a cat and a dog and a dolphin?) leads the race xd [pve-wise]
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited November 2010
    Options

Well for one, I doubt it, simply because Black voodoo is just that: 22-25% more damage and nothing more. On the other hand, BIDS has an advantage with weapon damage (500 vs. 400) and Wizzies have more weapon damage on their weapons anyways. +12 all their **** and that extra weapon damage will REALLY start to add in.
    Another thing is I simply doubt a Psy would use that skill as freely as a wizard uses their ultis. I mean, TECHNICALLY we hit harder than wizards DPH-wise if you just focus on the basic spells, but that's completely unrealistic: Wizzies often build their PVP around their ultimates; not their basics. At the same time, Psys heavily rely on Earth Vector and Psy will: the two-spark demand for that skill is just too much. Of course it has it's uses, but it's not practical for a Psy to rely on it and build it's strategy around it just for a CHANCE of having the highest magical DPH..
    the average dmg difference between a psy and a wiz at my lvl is 7k with white voodoo effect

I didn't understand ****. :U

We're discussing damage per hit. That to me says who has the do-all, end-all highest hitting skills in the game. It is highly likely that this is Wizard, and even if Psy can beat Wizard with Stone Smasher, that's just ONE singular skill that out-performs, whereas the wizzie has a nice three ultimates. If we're talking about -THE- highest hitting skill, then that to me says well refined end-game weapons and level 100s: not level 89s. Psys have higher damage per hit than wizzies until level 39: doesn't mean you should go make a Psy if you want the highest DPH.

NO.

30% is 30% is 30%. If a Psy has 55 attack level and a wizzie has 30, that's STILL a 25% difference. The Psy doesn't magically gain bonus damage for breeching 50 attack level; every attack level has the same value. The ONLY attack levels that a Psy has which a wizzie cannot are those from Black voodoo; everything else can be attained by both.

you should also consider sideeffects like bleed from red tide

Yes, because when I think Damage-per-hit, I think damage-over-time effects.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I suck with my wiz QQ

please be quiet and leave.
    Wizards have best DPH. Period.

Psy lvl 100 skill may (and I mean *may* because I've yet to see proof) hit higher than bids on HA.

But on LA/AA? Blade Tempest rips that **** up.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited November 2010
    Options

Psy lvl 100 skill may (and I mean *may* because I've yet to see proof) hit higher than bids on HA.

Actually we can calculate this ****, can't we?

Sage black voodoo is 25% additional damage:

Stone smasher is 400% weapon damage + 10253

BIDS is 500% damage + 13955

400% * 1.25 is 500%

10253 * 1.25 is 12816

Keep in mind a Wizard can carry weapons that have higher damage on them, so 500% weapon damage for a wizard > 500% weapon damage for a Psy.

No idea if it can be calculated that way (just woke up and too lazy to put any real thought behind this :P) but that's 25% added onto both of the outbound numbers. I see it as highly unlikely that a Psy would out-do a Wizard on DPH.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Actually we can calculate this ****, can't we?

Sage black voodoo is 25% additional damage:

Stone smasher is 400% weapon damage + 10253

BIDS is 500% damage + 13955

400% * 1.25 is 500%

10253 * 1.25 is 12816

Keep in mind a Wizard can carry weapons that have higher damage on them, so 500% weapon damage for a wizard > 500% weapon damage for a Psy.

No idea if it can be calculated that way (just woke up and too lazy to put any real thought behind this :P) but that's 25% added onto both of the outbound numbers. I see it as highly unlikely that a Psy would out-do a Wizard on DPH.

well, you forgot the base magic attack so it's
    1.25*BMA + 500%weapon + 12816
    vs
    1*BMA +500%weapon+13955

so BMA/4 vs 1139
    considering that my magic attack is ~10k psy would win with 1.5k more dmg
    assuming same magic attack and weapon damage

but as I said, it's a 30mil, lvl100, long culti skill with long chan
    and generally stacking -chan for one skill doesnt look efficient
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited November 2010
    Options
    well, you forgot the base magic attack so it's
    1.25*BMA + 500%weapon + 12816
    vs
    1*BMA +500%weapon+13955

so BMA/4 vs 1139
    considering that my magic attack is ~10k psy would win with 1.5k more dmg
    assuming same magic attack and weapon damage

Wizzie would, again, have higher BMA to begin with.

And yeah, as you've stated: A wizzie has other forms of defense and nothing else to spend their sparks on: their ultimates are very practical for them. A Psy on the other hand has chi-dependent defense lines and several chi-dependent moves; that level 100 AOE doesn't seem very practical at all.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • BlastingWave - Harshlands
    BlastingWave - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Assuming both psy and wiz have equal Base magic attack and weapon attack :
    base magic attack = 5000
    weapon attack = 1500

** stone smasher :
    base attack ( 5000 ) + 400% weapon attack ( 4x 1500) + 10 253 earthdamage = 21253
    sage black woodo ( sage gives more damg so i picked it just to be sure ) =25 %

25% of 21253= 5313
    so damg becomes = 21253 + 5313= 26566

**Celestial BIDS
    base attack ( 5000 )+ 500% weapon attack ( 5x 1500) + 13955 water damg = 26455

soo as shown stone smasher will an inconsiderable little more damg than a lvl 11 BIDS , not so much that i would be using it more than a BIDS . Most wizzies at 100 will have atleast 25% channel so the channel for BIDS will be around 3 secs or less .

same is the case with all other psy attacks, keep in mind that the only reason why psy is dealing more damg is because of Blackwoodo . But stone smasher , like all psy aoes , has only 8 metre range , BIDS has 12 metre range and is more spamable compared to stonesmasher not to mention so so so much more easily obtainable . Personally i will favour Sage BIDS over any skill the psy have , it totally rocks .

long story short

BIDS > Stone Smasher ( in my opinion )
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Assuming both psy and wiz have equal Base magic attack and weapon attack

And there's the problem already.

Wizards have higher damage capability on their weapons. Soulspheres aren't just there for looks: they're damage control.

We don't have equal base magic attack. This means the Wizard will gain more benefit from base magic attack and from that 500%. BIDS will hit harder.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Proski - Archosaur
    Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    can a psychic hit an archer or other robe user for 20k when properly debuffed non-crit?

blade tempest

/thread
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    edited November 2010
    Options
    can a psychic hit an archer or other robe user for 20k when properly debuffed non-crit?

blade tempest

/thread

No, but we can fully resist said skill. b:cool
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options

My favorite part was when she was arguing with a level 100 psy about hsi damage potential.
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
    edited November 2010
    Options
    My favorite part was when she was arguing with a level 100 psy about hsi damage potential.

stop posting and play a toon in a faction that i am b:avoid
  • Keirya - Raging Tide
    Keirya - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    At lower levels yes the psy does hit harder than a wiz, but by the time you hit 59 or so the psy is out damaged per hit. I'm not saying the wiz does more dmg period, because yes the psy has a much faster casting speed, but if a wiz casts a skill and a psy casts a skill, most likely the wiz will hit harder. The wizzies have shields, the psys have voodoo. Honestly, I prefer the psy but I'm mostly a pve player. From a pvp aspect I would say psy is better. I value faster hits rather than one really slow attack. While youre still charging up a spell i can hit you 2-3 times. And in those 2-3 hits i can stun, freeze, interupt, you name it. Wizzies have their uses, i just think psys are better in pvp.
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options

Lol, do you hate fighting games? I bet you suck at them, learn how to fight in a real fighting game... Martial arts :D in real life... I want to take classes again, really fun.

Psy hits harder I think... IDK... Wiz is not hard to play in PVE or PVP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Allynna_ - Dreamweaver
    Allynna_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 254 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Everybody talking about (Sage) BIDS, doesn't Blade Tempest actually hit harder when sparked? (gets 2x the spark bonues, and applies Base magic attack twice. The hardest hit I've done on my wizzard with a 20K non-crit with 2x spark on BT. (haven't tried 2x spark BIDS, but 1x spark BIDS only hits ~13K non crit).
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Everybody talking about (Sage) BIDS, doesn't Blade Tempest actually hit harder when sparked? (gets 2x the spark bonues, and applies Base magic attack twice. The hardest hit I've done on my wizzard with a 20K non-crit with 2x spark on BT. (haven't tried 2x spark BIDS, but 1x spark BIDS only hits ~13K non crit).

I think BT is stronger on anything but HA in PvP or Increased Def mobs in PvE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Lol, do you hate fighting games? I bet you suck at them, learn how to fight in a real fighting game... Martial arts :D in real life... I want to take classes again, really fun.

Psy hits harder I think... IDK... Wiz is not hard to play in PVE or PVP.

GET

THE

H3LL

OUT!
    b:angry
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options

If you're talking about psy will, you gotta rmr BT is half mag also.

Back to the topic,

Everyone is talking about black voodoo and all but forgetting the damage increase from undine.

And while you're doing all the math of Stone Smasher vs lvl 11 BIDS, take the crit bonus for sage BIDS into account (since sage wiz should hit harder with the 5% mastery bonus anyway).

So take whatever dmg you get from BIDS (500% Wep attack+ 13955) and multiply it by 50% chance of 30% crit. Keep in mind every crit is 1% increase in damage on average (100% crit = 100% increase in damage, 50% crit = 50% average increase, etc.)

SOOO sage bids would give 1.15*(500% wep attack + 13955) in actuality = 575% wep attack + 16094.25.

I'd like to see 400% + 10253.1 dmg compete with that. Oh, and wizards have higher pdef from earth barrier and higher average ele resists. But psys with high soulforce are undoubtedly one of the best classes in the game.
  • BlastingWave - Harshlands
    BlastingWave - Harshlands Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    @ Mage fizban , i was comparing damge not their add ons,
    as far as your crit assumption goes , its plain wrong . crit is based on luck you can get 5 crits in a row and than shott out 1000 spells and none of them will crit , so you cant take average of these ,

sage psys get 5% damg increase as well so masteries dont count when comparing damage

PS : again i favour SAGE BIDS over anything the psy has so wizzies stop raging on mee QQ b:surrender
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    wizard would get new skill on genesis expansion b:victory
    i think it's because they very much toward nuking compared to other caster b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Valrain - Archosaur
    Valrain - Archosaur Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I've got a psychic on Lost City I'm playing at the moment, and I have a few observations:

1. Psychics have nothing like Dragon's Breath; I miss having a constant-running AoE for grinding.

2. The AoE psychics have are much smaller area of effect than wizard AoEs - psy is 6 to 8 meter radius, wizard is up to 12 meter radius.

3. Wizards have Stone Barrier for added pdef; psys have white voodoo for an all-around damage reduction. However, wizard damage output is not affected by having the barrier up.

4. Wizards don't really have any useful party buff; psys have empowered vigor, bubble of life, soul of vengeance (sage is good for no mana drain), etc.

5. Psychics have AoEs that don't require chi and actually do something good (hailstorm needs to be improved somehow, hopefully in Genesis :) )

6. It's pretty easy to piece together a repeating macro on wizards. Walk up to a boss in frost, hit button 1, walk away (if you have > 5000 hp). Psychics do not have any good way (that I've found) to macro a single target; there are AoEs that could be included, but those might get you killed. So, I've found I more often have to actively participate in killing stuff when I'm on my psy. It's annoying sometimes when it's basically the same spells over and over, but it's also sometimes a blessing - I can adjust my strategy quicker if the situation changes.

After playing my psy to 6x, and having a wizard at 100, I can honestly say I'm having more fun on the psychic. Perhaps it's just the novelty of something new and different, but there are so many skills that are OP it makes PvP fun (White Voodoo + Soulburn + Psychic Will is hilarious against 5aps).

Neither class is really any "better" than the other (don't know how you even measure that). They both have strengths and weaknesses. But I think if you really know how to play your class, it is easy to find a party that will welcome you no matter which one you've chosen. b:victory