Can you keep aggro without -int?

Montcalm - Archosaur
Montcalm - Archosaur Posts: 53 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Barbarian
Ok so I've been hearing that a lot of high level barbs are having trouble keeping aggro when fighting bosses with -int DDs. People keep saying that the only solution to this problem is making a -int fist/claw barb as well. Unfortunately, I dont spend much money on this game and I was wondering if it's possible to keep aggro later on without having to restat for claws? Basically, when you have -int DDs in your squad can you keep aggro with axes?b:surrender
Post edited by Montcalm - Archosaur on

Comments

• fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    It depends on the squad and the amount of -int involved.

There are uber people Fuzzy runs with who me don't have a prayer of holding agro from, there are ther squads where it is no problem.

If you have a nice weapon with a decent level of refinement, holding agro when partied with a squad of "normal" players, the barb is still the tank. All the talk you hear about a barb not being needed at end game isn't exactly true. Most players will never come close to 5aps. It is a very small part of the community who manage to acquire all the needed gear.

For 5aps there is MasterCard, for everyone else, the barb is still the meat shield.

b:thanks
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • MrSyko - Raging Tide
    MrSyko - Raging Tide Posts: 515 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The people that spend enough on the game to get over 3.3 aps are the ones that make it difficult for me. I plan on getting better gears and demon skills that should help me keep aggro better (I hope b:surrender). Anybody with lower than that are fine and don't take my aggro.

Like Fuzzy said, it is a small part of the people that do reach 4+ aps, since it is extremely expensive. Don't worry about it too much until you get closer to end game, then worst case scenario would be going in squads for damage and buffs.
  • SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    It depends on the squad and the amount of -int involved.

There are uber people Fuzzy runs with who me don't have a prayer of holding agro from, there are ther squads where it is no problem.

If you have a nice weapon with a decent level of refinement, holding agro when partied with a squad of "normal" players, the barb is still the tank. All the talk you hear about a barb not being needed at end game isn't exactly true. Most players will never come close to 5aps. It is a very small part of the community who manage to acquire all the needed gear.

For 5aps there is MasterCard, for everyone else, the barb is still the meat shield.

b:thanks
    This!
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The only thing is..

bm, sin, archer dont even have to try.. to get -int gear to snatch aggro. Fist and dagger naturally have higher attack rate, with +4 refine they damage start to build up quite a bit.

sin and archer get -int gear from rep chest plate.

and seriously

They have been holding aggro all this while to avoid being killed, after lvl 90 they kind of being able to tank quite a bit if they sock and refine their gears to get enough hp to.

The reason why barb dont tank anymore is that they might as well stand up and DD killling the boss faster.

No you wouldnt hold aggro, if they dont let you. Good thing is most people as they mention dont have the kind of 5APS thingy. The bad thing is well if you party enough of those undergear ones.. you will know what the bag thing is.
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    -interval really isn't that expensive.

4.0 without cash shopping and all I've gotten that I wouldn't normally get is the TT99 evasion belt and necklace, and lunar claws. I would have gotten TT99 HA anyways, I would have gotten an event cape anyways.

At endgame you won't be able to hold aggro from anyone with 3.33 aps or higher, which isn't that cheap. So unless you don't have any DDs with -interval then you probably wont be tanking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    You dont need 5 aps to steal agro from a barb.

I've been stealing on my bm since +80 with only -0.05 80s gold braces + cyclone heel. Same for sin.

But it usually starts getting harder to keep agro after +89, when the DDs get their 3rd sparks.

Furthermore, even if you reroll your barb into an int fist build, it's still no guarantee you'll keep up with the agro.

Just depends what kind of squads you run with I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Montcalm - Archosaur
    Montcalm - Archosaur Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ty for all the responses. ill just have to find friends who are poor i guessb:chuckle.
  • fuzzywuzz
    fuzzywuzz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I've been stealing on my bm since +80 with only -0.05 80s gold braces + cyclone heel. Same for sin.

It would seem to Fuzzy you were running with barbs who either forgot to level their skills, neglected their gear, or didn't have a proper grasp on what they were doing. In the above stated situation there is no excuse for a barb to be loosing anything. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC]Need to talk to Fuzzy?[/SIGPIC]
    Sig by NowItsAwn
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    FuzzyWuzz wrote: »
    It would seem to Fuzzy you were running with barbs who either forgot to level their skills, neglected their gear, or didn't have a proper grasp on what they were doing. In the above stated situation there is no excuse for a barb to be loosing anything. b:shocked

Lol I guess barbs aren't what they used to be, but in 69 always had to switch to calams, since taking agro with 80s fists was way too easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DangerField - Dreamweaver
    DangerField - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Vilkass +1! I see barbs loosing aggro all the time these levels. And I dont believe they are all fail.

On my alt sin I always take off att bless and maybe rings or bracers depending on the barbs gear. I remember one time in a bh69 my sin was lvl 82ish and I didnt bother do so cause the barb had tt99 gold wep +5 I think. I waited till he reamed twice before I attacked I didnt spark and still I took aggro and died cause I didnt pay attention! I had int gear but at 80s its limited. this should not be possible, yet it is!
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ty for all the responses. ill just have to find friends who are poor i guessb:chuckle.

It's not about friends who are poor, or friends that are rich...it's about friends that play their toons well, know their limits and don't need to polish their e-peen every single time they attack a boss.

I've been in squads where I should be another DD and I've been asked to tank...I've been in other squads where the DDs want me to tank and ones where they don't. It's all situational. Once you decide how the boss needs to be killed, everyone does their jobs. Boss is dead, squad moves on.

Above 95 it becomes exceedingly difficult to hold aggro easily, or constantly. When archers are critting 30K and above 4 or 5 times in a row, BMs and Sins are at 3aps or better, and wizzies are hitting for 60-100K time after time. Unless they rework the aggro mechanics of Flesh Ream this will not change.

On my archer I take off rings, blessings and use my lowest lvl weapon, not to mention that I will stagger attacks (using skills) rather than go all out...and if I crit 3 or 4 times consecutively, I'll <esc> out of attacking for a few seconds. As a DD, it's my job to hold back when necessary and make sure the barb holds aggro especially when the survival of the squad depends upon it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    As a DD, it's my job to hold back when necessary and make sure the barb holds aggro especially when the survival of the squad depends upon it.

If only every DD had this habit...b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Moon_Hammer - Heavens Tear
    Moon_Hammer - Heavens Tear Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Hmm I am lvl 86 and atm have TT80 HA and I have Pangus GA and currently I am holding aggro from all BM and sins which are around same level as me. I dnt think its the case of barbs cnt hold aggro, i jst think the skill has gone away frm most barbs as lvlin is so fast and dnt get enuf time to learn their skills and what potential each skill and b used for.

Was teaching some barb to FF and he hadnt learned Invoke and had lvl 2 roar...
    Rawr!! Pure vit barb FTW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the awesome siggy!! Your a babe!
  • Darth_Puggy - Archosaur
    Darth_Puggy - Archosaur Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I just dinged 70 and have Calamitys now. Woot Woot!
    I get nervous when I see the sins in my squads sparking. I'm not at a level where it's Demon Spark yet. I make sure to FR every 6-7 attacks or more if an arcane DD is also in the squad. I hope my genie can get 50 luck points soon so I have room to add Alpha Male.
    It would really help if there was another aggro skill. I mean, besides Roar which I really only use as an opener for groups.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Hmm I am lvl 86 and atm have TT80 HA and I have Pangus GA and currently I am holding aggro from all BM and sins which are around same level as me. I dnt think its the case of barbs cnt hold aggro, i jst think the skill has gone away frm most barbs as lvlin is so fast and dnt get enuf time to learn their skills and what potential each skill and b used for.

Was teaching some barb to FF and he hadnt learned Invoke and had lvl 2 roar...

As you level higher, this will no longer be true. At 99+ with full interval bms/sins in squad, no amount of skill on the barb's part can hold agro, at least not a traditional barb using flesh ream.
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    It's not about friends who are poor, or friends that are rich...it's about friends that play their toons well, know their limits and don't need to polish their e-peen every single time they attack a boss.

-CUT- to shorten the quote

A very wise man!!!

I'm shocked that you have to take off some gear with attack on it, but... from what you do, I see you do play a barb, because you know what aggro stealer can do to the barb and the full squad. b:victory

Also, it depends on the people you squad with A LOT!!!!

So.. may you all have only awesome people to squad with and may something positive be done to flesh ream or aggro in general.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]