Anyone ever had this?

KnuckleCrack - Raging Tide
KnuckleCrack - Raging Tide Posts: 7 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Support Desk
I've been experiencing rather strange problems when trying to run PWI.
Download and installation are both fine but when I try to run the client then the trouble appears:

I start the client and when I click start to launch the game it just really slows up. Can't get to the log in screen. It takes ages to get to the part where I have to click 'confirm' on the window and the graphics are all messed up.
Somekind of lines and blur. The window itself seems to be ok.

Only reason I can think of is that it's Windows Vista on the computer that messes it up.
It can't be the video drivers or DirectX, I'm pretty sure of it. I followed the guide to install it on Vista and all the steps there but it didn't help one bit. I also tried to take a screenshot of that messed up graphics but i don't know how lol.
I've described the problem as accurately as I can. If anyone can help me please let me know what to do.
Post edited by KnuckleCrack - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Windows Vista was just poorly released, it isn't that bad of an OS considering it's Windows... (inb4 XP fanbois claiming it is the best thing since sliced bread)

1. Your GPU sucks or is made by Intel (aka definition of sucking)
    2. Your CPU is from 1987, wouldn't be able to run Vista anyway but still
    3. You have a very low amount of RAM and you are relying on Virtual Memory which is slow as hell
    4. Your harddrive in highly fragmented because the NTFS file system is terrible at preventing that
    5. A combination of all of the above
    6. Your computer just wants a coffee break

That's all I can think of at the moment...
  • ZeroMagus - Dreamweaver
    ZeroMagus - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    b:laugh Lol at Deora's comments, but all true, except the Intel hatred is a personal opinion, funny regardless =) "AMD person myself here"

Vista sucks in comparison to XP & windows 7 in my opinion, but I'm stuck with Vista 64 on my laptop.
    Still Vista is an "ok" OS & works rather good with PWI. (Win7 runs anything better, lol)

unless your on Mac,Linux or something older than XP the OS is not your problem. & almost always falls to hardware.

if your rig meets all the min recs for gameplay, 2 G Ram & you have plenty of space & are not running on virtual mem as Deora mentioned, then I have to agree about the HD fragmentation.

go to Start/ Computer Right-click local disk / properties

In properties window select the Tools tab.

In Tools run Error Checking for minor & major issues - This prompts a boot time scan meaning you have to restart & the Comp will run test upon the next power on.

Then in Tools again Run Defragmentation.
    This will tell the condition of your HDD

*Note*
    Vista will tell you that there is no need to run defrag if the HDD is not fragmented.
    If it does not tell you this & allows you to defrag, then your HDD is fragmented.

The 2 general reasons your HDD gets fragmented is there might actually be an issue with your OS installation "semi-rarely the case" also generally caused by fragmentation or virus.

or

Your HDD is getting ready to give up the ghost, AKA: Die a horrible death.

If you pass both tests & meet all min Recs for PWI then I would highly Rec downloading Malwarebytes, updating to the newest version (click update tab, choose update) & then run a complete scan for viruses & other nasties.

as for the client loading slow & taking forever to highlight the start button.
    This is more related to your PC rig than your net speed or router/modem.

Personal Example:
    My semi-Newish Craptop loads the client almost instantly
    Though my wifes slightly older PC takes Fo Eva!!! to load the client.

Good luck
  • KnuckleCrack - Raging Tide
    edited November 2010
    All right I'll try those things in the first oportunity.

Thank you.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Normally I'd ask you to send this info into a ticket to us, but Tech Support is on USA Holiday break until Monday, so I can check in on the forums in between enjoying my break and try to help you.

It'll be helpful to us if you tell us some of your computer's information.

1) What is the make and model number of your computer?

2) Please also tell us whether you are running a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows. You can find out in Windows by going here: Start > Control Panel > System & Maintenance > System. Then look under System > System Type. It will then display 32bit Operating System or 64bit Operating System. Include that info with the info we ask for below.

3) To create a dxdiag log, go to Start, click on Run, then type in dxdiag and press Enter. Click on Save All Information as a text file (on your Desktop as an example.
    If you are using Vista or 7, go to the Start Menu, click on the Search menu and type dxdiag.exe.

4) Copy and paste the top half of your dxdiag into your forum post (that means 50% of the text). If you have Vista, please take out the (TM) (the trademark symbol) out of the text file, as the forums will cut it off and won't display the rest of the text.

If you have a 64bit system, please click on the 64bit Dxdiag/DirectX button to save the correct log file. This is important so that we can help you find the right software for your system.

We'll take a look at it, and offer our advice (or our super cool and helpful community might beat us to answering things for you).
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    b:laugh Lol at Deora's comments, but all true, except the Intel hatred is a personal opinion, funny regardless =) "AMD person myself here"

When I said that I thought it was obvious that I meant the Intel GMA, try and convince anyone that GPU is worth anything

And I swear darthpanda16 must be a robot... never goes off of that dxdiag...
  • Hellies - Harshlands
    Hellies - Harshlands Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    If you are under Windows Vista I'd suggest to check all file attributes in the Perfect World directory. Especially if you see any Read Only attributes on files, change everything to Archive attribute.

BTW PWI runs 100 better on current Windows Vista than on Windows XP on identical machines when installed correctly. Not only it's faster due to better DirectX but also Vista file system seems to be superior to XP one. As an example when you run PWI on Vista it takes about 1 second before you can click the start button on the launcher. On the other hand it takes like 10-15sec on XP (PWI is checking files whether it needs an update). Also on Vista/Seven you will basically have no lag in Archosaur with 2GB RAM or more while on XP it's a little laggy due to slower disk access I assume.
  • KnuckleCrack - Raging Tide
    edited November 2010
    Okay I think I've found the problem. After endless scans, cleanups and defrags I actually got to log on to the game. It still lags but it is possible to move around. So I think it might be the video driver. I have had this sort of trouble before..only not as bad.

The graphics are still messed up though. Not as bad as it was before, but the log in screens colors are off by several shades. So are colors in the game. Not all of them but more like texture of the ground and other "bigger" things. Also character does not show up...well the body doesn't, it's only a black human shaped patch of nothing with hair and fashion. Whaddya say about that?
    b:shocked
    Like that but with less face on it.

Oh yeah, about dxdiag....Like RAM is off...waaaay off. It says 2 GB recommended on Vista but the thing only seems to have 512 MB. Since it does work I will try to improve the performance and make it playable.