Reduce Phsyical Damage Taken - HELP!

Proski - Archosaur
Proski - Archosaur Posts: 936 Arc User
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Yes I've used the search function (now that that's out of the way...)

Can somebody set the record straight on this? I and most other people have heard so many things about it being both terrible and amazing..

If my pdef with stone barrier and a clerics buff gives me 7766 p.def (66% reduction) and my reduce physical damage add ons sum up to be +10% - does it go straight to 76%? Or does it apply differently like a 10% reduction of whatever damage is left after your 66% reduction? Or is that just defense level?

Cause if it really does stack... seeing how its so hard to get reduce physical damage taken once ur pdef is like over 6000 (whereas when ur like lvl 20 +200 pdef = a new %), this add on must be the best thing ever? If i find a way to get 75% reduce physical damage purely from my stand alone pdef when fully buffed... +10% reduce phsyical add ons = im reducing 85% of all pdef of my level? damn.... somebody please clarify

TY~ b:thanks
Post edited by Proski - Archosaur on

Comments

• Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    No, that is not possible. Just think, if a barb had, say, 90% physical defense reduction, and then 'reduce physical damage' gear equal to 10%, by your theory, the barb would be immune to physical damage. Obviously this is not the way it works.

My guess is, it acts more like a defense level. Which.. so yeah, maybe it reduces the damage 1% more from what is filtered by your defenses already. So, say, I deal 1000 damage to you. Lets say your gear reduces phy dmg 50% against equal-levelled enemies, and that I'm same level as you. That means you would take 500 dmg. 500 dmg inflicted to you would then, according to my idea here, get filtered through that gear add... say 1% reduction. 1% of 500 is 5 dmg. So you should see a dmg of 495 taken.

If, somehow, the reduce phy dmg add stacked like you thought (say, 50% phy def + 1% phy reduction from gear), then the scenario would be like this: I deal 1000 dmg to you, and this dmg is reduced by 50 + 1% (51%). You would expect to see 490 damage taken.

There's a pretty simple way to test this. Find a bm/sin/somebody with decent accuracy, and get them to unequip weapon. Say with bare fists damage is 250-250. You could then take off all your gear, and see how much they hit you for. Then add in one piece of gear with a +1% phy def reduction. Compare the damage you observe with the damage you would expect to get based on your calculations (the same two calculations I did above). OH. Don't forget to make sure the +1% phy def piece of gear is not on a piece of gear which adds additional physical defense. So for instance, find the +1% phy dmg reduction on a HELMET of some sort.

Let me know what you discover.

Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2010
    ... Maybe this is a broken piece of the game that nobody has discovered before. If, say, they stacked... If a barb had all physical defense ornaments +12, and was in tiger form, maybe... I dunno, lets say they had 95% phy dmg reduction (I have no idea if this is feasible or not). Then you'd only have to find 5% physical damage reduction from other gears in order to reach 100%. If they really stack, then we'd expect barb to take zero phy dmg, which sounds broken as hell to me, but maybe nobody has ever refined their gears high enough to actually make this work. Thoughts?

Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Proski - Archosaur
    edited November 2010
    apparently defense level and reductions cap at 90.. so no, not impossible lol

:edit: also u need like 15,600 pdef to get 80% reduce physical just frm ur pdef i believe.. so if any arcane is able to get that fully buffed... +wearing like a wings of cloud charger (3%), 1% from wrists (4%), 3% from weapon (7%) and maybe another 3% from warsoul helmet or a lvl 5 tome (10%)... 90% reduce physical, dayum, i really hope it stacks
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2010
    They cap?... I'll need to see some evidence of that :D Any sage barbs care to comment here?

Azzazin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I heard a 99% damage reduction cap though I have no evidence of this.

Reduce physical damage I never got around to testing but I assume it works after the defense reduction has taken place.

The best way to test is to duel someone else bare handed and use a skill like wingspan or some BM fist skill. Barehanded physical skills always do fixed damage. From that you can figure it out with the formulas on this page:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Damage#Resistance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Proski - Archosaur
    edited November 2010
    They cap?... I'll need to see some evidence of that :D Any sage barbs care to comment here?

Azzazin

I want to find out too, a friend of mine said a GM once said it capped at 90 so .. dunno
  • volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited November 2010
    Just find a bm to buff you with 100 skill.
  • Magiere - Dreamweaver
    Magiere - Dreamweaver Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Meh so many weird posts here.

Reduce physical damage % reduction is next to useless.
    It works after the pdef damage reduction.

Example a mob deals 5000 damage.(no defense lvl etc. involved)
    with ur 66%dmg reduction you get hit for 1700 now you calculate the physical damage reduce stat lets say 10%

7766 pdef without any %physica dmg reduce = got hit for 1700
    7766 pdef with 10%physical dmg reduce = got hit for 1530
    Originally written by Satchiko to me regarding old spice commercial :
    Hello Perfect World. Look at your cleric, now back to me, now back to your cleric, now back to me. Sadly it isn't me. But if you stopped being a noob and started wearing sunglasses you could act like you're me. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on Dreamweaver with the cleric your cleric could be like. What's in your hand, back at me. It's an inventory filled with the gear you want. Look again, the gear is now diamonds. Anything is possible with sunglasses. I'm flying on starter wings.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    My guess is, it acts more like a defense level. Which.. so yeah, maybe it reduces the damage 1% more from what is filtered by your defenses already. So, say, I deal 1000 damage to you. Lets say your gear reduces phy dmg 50% against equal-levelled enemies, and that I'm same level as you. That means you would take 500 dmg. 500 dmg inflicted to you would then, according to my idea here, get filtered through that gear add... say 1% reduction. 1% of 500 is 5 dmg. So you should see a dmg of 495 taken.

Im quite positive this is the way p.def addon works...

your gear offer a % of p.def reduction on the same level, after that reduction is counted the damage that bypassed the gear is affected by bonus %reduction...

so raw P.def value on gear wont stack with %p.def reduction IMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
    edited November 2010
    Meh so many weird posts here.

Reduce physical damage % reduction is next to useless.
    It works after the pdef damage reduction.

Example a mob deals 5000 damage.(no defense lvl etc. involved)
    with ur 66%dmg reduction you get hit for 1700 now you calculate the physical damage reduce stat lets say 10%

7766 pdef without any %physica dmg reduce = got hit for 1700
    7766 pdef with 10%physical dmg reduce = got hit for 1530

How is 10% more survivability to physical damage "next to useless"? The 5% bonus HP on a sky demon pearl gives half that or less. Does something have to give you three times as much survivability before it starts to be useful to you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
  • Vorhs - Lost City
    Vorhs - Lost City Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Elemental shell wiz's skill increases mag resistances by 1000% for 4 seconds

my resistances goes over 50k+ with that skill, and the tooltip says "90% reduction"

so the cap is 90%
    If you happy wanna be, against the wind you won't have to pee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Proski - Archosaur
    edited November 2010
    ohh nice, still trying to figure out if reduce physical dmg add ons are a filter reduction or stack... people are just typing stuff in theory, i havent seen any actual evidence o.o
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    How is 10% more survivability to physical damage "next to useless"? The 5% bonus HP on a sky demon pearl gives half that or less. Does something have to give you three times as much survivability before it starts to be useful to you?

1700-1530=170
    Half of 170 = 85.
    If 5% for your HP is 85... u really have 1700HP o.o
    edited November 2010
    1700-1530=170
    Half of 170 = 85.
    If 5% for your HP is 85... u really have 1700HP o.o

Which would you rather have.. take 10% less damage or have 5% more HP?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vasilisk - Harshlands
    Vasilisk - Harshlands Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Again, its not same as +10% damage reduce in char window. Read Magiere's explain.
    This reduce is good if your pdef bad. With increasing you pdef in stat "reduce physical dmg" going useless.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    apparently defense level and reductions cap at 90.. so no, not impossible lol

:edit: also u need like 15,600 pdef to get 80% reduce physical just frm ur pdef i believe.. so if any arcane is able to get that fully buffed... +wearing like a wings of cloud charger (3%), 1% from wrists (4%), 3% from weapon (7%) and maybe another 3% from warsoul helmet or a lvl 5 tome (10%)... 90% reduce physical, dayum, i really hope it stacks

True defense cap is 90%. On p.server I had fully buffed over 150K p.def. Even with this defense is always 90%.
    But. Many players don't know how Reduce Physical damage taken is working. It is practically useless. Because. This reduction apply just after your normal physical reduction. Example. If you have 60% reduction from normal physical def. and 10% Reduce Physical damage taken from gear.
    Something hit you for 10000 damage. It will be reduced by 60% so you would receive 4000 damage if you had not any another physical harm reduction from Reduce Physical damage taken. in our example we have 10% from Reduce Physical damage taken, so now this 4000 damage is reduced by 10% from gear. So you will receive 3600 damage. It was proven loooong time ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    True defense cap is 90%. On p.server I had fully buffed over 150K p.def. Even with this defense is always 90%.

Until you get like 2 billion p.def then it goes to -87% b:chuckle
    edited November 2010
    Why are people saying taking 10% less damage is worthless -_-
    Thats the equivalent of 11% more HP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ppl stop failing in simple math ._.

i claim 10% dmg reduction is better than p.def because it works BEFORE p.def reduction

or i could just say that order doesnt matter cuz this is how frigging math works

1000 dmg * 1-50% * 1-10% = 450

1000 dmg * 1-10% * 1-50% = 450
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Balthier - Dreamweaver
    Balthier - Dreamweaver Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Why are people saying taking 10% less damage is worthless -_-
    Thats the equivalent of 11% more HP.

I'll try to explain why its usefulness is limited, and even less so at end-game.

Lets take Wurlord in 2-3 and say he has a hit of 10k phy dmg. If you are a lvl 90 cleric with TT90 gear self buffed you will have like 50% phy def reduction-ish and about 5k HP-ish (Example numbers). You will take 5000 dmg, if you had 10% phy dmg reduction on gear, that would mean you would take 4500 dmg instead, pretty decent. As you can see tho, if you add a Sky Demons Pearl here, you will get 5250 HP, so in this case 1% HP = 1% reduce phy dmg in survivability.

Lets take an endgame example in TW. Your lvl 100 cleric has 70% phy def and 10k HP fully buffed. An archer aims at you (bloody archers), and hits you for 3000 dmg. With 10% reduced phy dmg on gear you would take 2700 dmg, while if you add a cube neck (say he was using a g13 OHT neck with reduce phy dmg before) you will get 10500 HP. So in this case 1% HP = 3.33% reduced phy dmg.

It's usefulness vs. normal mobs is non-existent aswell. Lvl 90 cleric again vs a normal mob, you'll take about 400 dmg, or 360 with 10% reduced phy dmg on gear. Here 1% HP = 12,5% reduced phy dmg o.O.

(Note, this is only effective against physical damage, HP is even better in most cases since it gives you survivability vs magic attacks aswell. Bloody wizzards can hit hard too).

Hope this clears things up.
    edited November 2010
    I'll try to explain why its usefulness is limited, and even less so at end-game.

Lets take Wurlord in 2-3 and say he has a hit of 10k phy dmg. If you are a lvl 90 cleric with TT90 gear self buffed you will have like 50% phy def reduction-ish and about 5k HP-ish (Example numbers). You will take 5000 dmg, if you had 10% phy dmg reduction on gear, that would mean you would take 4500 dmg instead, pretty decent. As you can see tho, if you add a Sky Demons Pearl here, you will get 5250 HP, so in this case 1% HP = 1% reduce phy dmg in survivability.

Lets take an endgame example in TW. Your lvl 100 cleric has 70% phy def and 10k HP fully buffed. An archer aims at you (bloody archers), and hits you for 3000 dmg. With 10% reduced phy dmg on gear you would take 2700 dmg, while if you add a cube neck (say he was using a g13 OHT neck with reduce phy dmg before) you will get 10500 HP. So in this case 1% HP = 3.33% reduced phy dmg.

It's usefulness vs. normal mobs is non-existent aswell. Lvl 90 cleric again vs a normal mob, you'll take about 400 dmg, or 360 with 10% reduced phy dmg on gear. Here 1% HP = 12,5% reduced phy dmg o.O.

(Note, this is only effective against physical damage, HP is even better in most cases since it gives you survivability vs magic attacks aswell. Bloody wizzards can hit hard too).

Hope this clears things up.

it is true it is cheaper and more effective to build HP (to some point) than defense.

however, if you say that 'p.dmg reduction' is worthless then 'p.def' is worthless as well
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2010

Any time you are in a situation where you are taking multiple hits in a relatively quick succession, -% reduced damge taken and +defense levels are far more effective than they are comparing with single hits.

Reduced Physical Damage adds are also more beneficial to those with less physical defense.

Saying it's useless is a stretch. Saying it's very beneficial is a stretch. In PvP every little bit helps.

b:bye

P.S. You see most of the smarter players shard and gear for +defense or +attack levels. There just isn't any good way to stack +% damage taken items to take advantage of them.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
    edited November 2010
    Any time you are in a situation where you are taking multiple hits in a relatively quick succession, -% reduced damge taken and +defense levels are far more effective than they are comparing with single hits.

Reduced Physical Damage adds are also more beneficial to those with less physical defense.

Saying it's useless is a stretch. Saying it's very beneficial is a stretch. In PvP every little bit helps.

P.S. You see most of the smarter players shard and gear for +defense or +attack levels. There just isn't any good way to stack +% damage taken items to take advantage of them.

check your math,

multiple hits

(100dmg * 1-10% * 1-50%) + (200dmg * 1-10% * 1-50%) + (150dmg * 1-10% * 1-50%) = 202,5

single hit

450dmg * 1-10% * 1-50% = 202.5

claiming that one of stats (hp, def, dmg reduction or def lvls) is better than others is always incorrect Dont do that because you are spreading missinfo.

if you want to do it correct (saying that to all not only you) then you must give example for concrete survivability stat (i.e. 2def lvl vs 115hp vs 10vit etc) for given character (i.e. BM with 8000 hp, 9000 p.def, 3000 m.def, 15 def lvl, 200str, 5 mag and 100vit).

otherwise, you are doing it wrong

defenses give diminishing returns in this game and they also affect various chars in different ways

edited November 2010
    stuff

When you factor HP vs Defense along with the fact your charm is going to tick regardless, at some point damage reduction becomes more beneficial. And you can't put a simple equation... there are far too many variables. Stop being so short sighted.

Defense level vs vit stone sharding has been well documented. Perhaps you should start reading the archer forums a little more closely.

edited November 2010
    When you factor HP vs Defense along with the fact your charm is going to tick regardless, at some point damage reduction becomes more beneficial. And you can't put a simple equation... there are far too many variables. Stop being so short sighted.

Defense level vs vit stone sharding has been well documented. Perhaps you should start reading the archer forums a little more closely.

actually, if you can get same survivability from HP or DEF, then hp charm wont favour any type of stat in terms of survivability (it will be just cheaper to favor def, since charm will tick for less hp)

DEF is more beneficial for normal healing (i assume that you were thinking about this one).

but then, if his wizzy have 5k hp then it will be questionable to invest in 'jades of def' since hp gem will increase his EHP a lot more than def lvls.

just like you said, 'there are far too many variables' to say that i.e. 10% p.dmg reduction is worthless.

edited November 2010
    actually, if you can get same survivability from HP or DEF, then hp charm wont favour any type of stat in terms of survivability (it will be just cheaper to favor def, since charm will tick for less hp)

DEF is more beneficial for normal healing (i assume that you were thinking about this one).

but then, if his wizzy have 5k hp then it will be questionable to invest in 'jades of def' since hp gem will increase his EHP a lot more than def lvls.

just like you said, 'there are far too many variables' to say that i.e. 10% p.dmg reduction is worthless.

Yes, I agree with this.

Better for healing and less expensive on charm costs = better for everyone.

And of course it's very subjective and returns are diminishing. Finding the better option for a particular person can easily be figured out, but with such a wide variation of builds, stat points and gear available it's difficult to give generic advice.

I think we can all agree that having reduced physical damage % on gear we would normally use is better than not having it. lol
    edited November 2010
    Yes, I agree with this.
    And of course it's very subjective and returns are diminishing. Finding the better option for a particular person can easily be figured out, but with such a wide variation of builds, stat points and gear available it's difficult to give generic advice.
    yeah, thats what i mean. to be careful with giving 'generic advises'
    I think we can all agree that having reduced physical damage % on gear we would normally use is better than not having it. lol
    lol..
    thats true but what im trying to say is that, just for his wizzy, 10% damage reduction would be equal to (almost) another 4 garnet gems inbued to his gear.

hard to claim that 4 garnets are worthless..

edited November 2010
    yeah, thats what i mean. to be careful with giving 'generic advises'

Point taken.

lol..
    thats true but what im trying to say is that, just for his wizzy, 10% damage reduction would be equal to (almost) another 4 garnet gems inbued to his gear.

hard to claim that 4 garnets are worthless..

No, that's very significant. Actually more than I suspected. I just came in to the thread to counter the statement that it was useless in TW. In a prolonged fight with multiple opponents, it's better for the reasons you stated. You have to remember, I'm a BM. After what, 10-12k hp, increased defense starts looking much better overall than just increasing HP. But I'm going off topic.
  • Lanyiara - Harshlands
    Lanyiara - Harshlands Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Untitled-2.png
    Pure defence caps at 90% for definite :p

Im guessing the reduce dmg taken is AFTER.
    edited November 2010
    Untitled-2.png
    Pure defence caps at 90% for definite :p

Im guessing the reduce dmg taken is AFTER.

go back to middle school