Hitting 5.0

Options
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
_DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Blademaster
So, I'm nearing 100 and working on pulling in funds for an endgame set. And unfortunately since I never cash shop and don't merchant a great deal and returned to the game recently with no gear, I'm on a rather tight budget. Still, I'd like to eventually hit my 5.0 target and have noticed there are several ways to reach this goal. Oh, and I'm mostly PvE.

At first I was gonna go with the half LA/HA for the bonuses. But a lot of people have been recommending against it, and I notice most BM's go with LA ornaments instead. Ran several calcs here

Hybrid
http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=79997f66b75066da

Budget HA
http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=7303e63544b9483e

The HA build actually works out a little cheaper since I can opt out of going full Lionheart immediately. HP isn't much different unless I get into mega-refines. Difference of 3% phys resistance and 9% elemental resistance which gets better for the hybrid with more refines.

Kinda like the idea of going HA since I have the potential to add a tome and drop the ashura later, but a little skeptical on BM's being the amazing money farmers some claim without knowing the right people, so don't think I'll be making the 200m even as a 5.0. My faction pretty much never does TT/Nirvana runs.

Any advice on the best options?
Post edited by _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You shouldn't get the LA -int bonus via ornaments, they suck. I will go for a similar build as your Hybrid build.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm going for LA wrist and boots and HA belt, that way when I refine the belt I'll make up most of the lost pdef from having LA wrist and boots.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm going for LA wrist and boots and HA belt, that way when I refine the belt I'll make up most of the lost pdef from having LA wrist and boots.

^This.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you don't plan on PvPing, I could see why LA orns are useful (if you don't need that extra m. def when tanking) but...

My choice would be HA top + belt/neck (neck gimps your HP but it's cheaper) and LA boots + wrists, as already suggested. Or then the LA orns for strictly farming purposes, when you aren't tanking.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Hmm, so guess the initial choice was the best one. Will probably go HA belt considering I still have a refined swindlers. Was never a huge fan of LA and would probably have simply skipped over it and stuck at 4.0 a while and saved the money towards a tome if I thought I could ever afford it.

Nice thing about the hybrid build is that it's relatively cheap to hit 4.0 too.

Thanks for the advice and opinions guys b:victory
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and opinions guys b:victory

You're still missing the pro opinions (sorry friends ^^). I know Michael and Okeano might have their own, different opinions and they are the most experienced posters here.

Also, anyone else thinks it's funny only Sanct BMs have posted to this thread? b:chuckle
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    go HA chest belt and LA wrist boot if your going hybrid

la orns are something of a joke

i'm amused that its a thread full of sanc bm's saying no to LA orns despite the massive amount of CS bm's on our server that run around with LA orns
    Gifs are hard to make work here
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you absolutely cannot afford the interval tome, then go for your hybrid build; LA orns are really ****, they won't do you much good because you lose both P Def and M Def. If you get LA wrists and boots, you can offset your Phys def losses by wearing the Lionheart belt, while still maintaining decent M def via refining necklace and a small boost from LA.

End game Demon BM will eventually toss out the LA pieces and replace with tome, which is ideal for marrowing with a good base of Phys Def.

You'll want to get nirvana pants (preferably lunar pants) last so you can still maintain the HA99 interval piece and still wear elemental ornament until you switch over. If you manage to get the lunar nirvana pants you'll gain a **** ton of extra P def and M def to even better offset your losses from LA. Always get the cheapest interval pieces first so you can increase the rate at which you farm.

My old build when I was sage was the exact same with the LA wrists/boots, lunar nirvana pants, HA chest and belt, Lunar cape, love up and down. Now that I switched demon about 6 months ago, I've replaced the LA - wrists/boots and HA - belt with warsong belt, HA99 wrist, heavenrage boots giving me an additional 2-3K HP and overall 1.6K P def and 800 M def.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you absolutely cannot afford the interval tome, then go for your hybrid build; LA orns are really ****, they won't do you much good because you lose both P Def and M Def. If you get LA wrists and boots, you can offset your Phys def losses by wearing the Lionheart belt, while still maintaining decent M def via refining necklace and a small boost from LA.

End game Demon BM will eventually toss out the LA pieces and replace with tome, which is ideal for marrowing with a good base of Phys Def.

You'll want to get nirvana pants last so you can still maintain the HA99 interval piece and still wear elemental ornament until you switch over. Always get the cheapest interval pieces first so you can increase the rate at which you farm.

or the endgame bm could use g 15 claws or possibly want 4 base aps for pk

the loss from LA is not phys def or mag def its def level and 1 less g 15 HA item

going full HA is only worth it if your into TW and interval is a total nonfactor there
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If you absolutely cannot afford the interval tome, then go for your hybrid build

Why were packs so lucky back then? Now packs give scroll of tomes once every 20,000 have been opened.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the defense difference of light boot/wrist and heavy isn't even a factor, it's the hp. and that hp doesn't really show until +10/12, where I doubt you'll ever reach given your 'budget' that makes you stop at +4.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    It really depends on what you plan your end-game weapon to be.

With the possibility of a new -interval item as well as G16 being released in a month or three, I wouldn't make any concrete plans yet.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Stilleh - Raging Tide
    Stilleh - Raging Tide Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I'm a 4aps base demon BM, with +10 lunar claws, -int tome, +10 G15 HA pants, +5 Cube neck, +5 LA wrist +2 LA Belt and +5 HA Chest and +5 HA boots.

I'm pretty much only doing PvE except for the occasional TW (we don't get many TWs as many of ours ae wined or last 5 min...)

Would I be stupid to go down from 4base to get Warsong belt and HA wrists? I'll still be 5aps sparked...
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing...
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    looking at the other 2 examples of g 16 in game (warsoul and rank 9)

both cost 7 bill+

and quite simply if g 16 weapons become widely availible bm's are screwed as more than 1/2 our armor is stuck at g 12 so dont know what your looking forward to there
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Would I be stupid to go down from 4base to get Warsong belt and HA wrists? I'll still be 5aps sparked...

If all you do is PvE, I don't think it really matters.

looking at the other 2 examples of g 16 in game (warsoul and rank 9)

both cost 7 bill+

and quite simply if g 16 weapons become widely availible bm's are screwed as more than 1/2 our armor is stuck at g 12 so dont know what your looking forward to there

Who said I was looking forward to anything. All I said is it's bad time to make future plans with new gear coming out soon. Am i wrong? xP
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    If all you do is PvE, I don't think it really matters.

Who said I was looking forward to anything. All I said is it's bad time to make future plans with new gear coming out soon. Am i wrong? xP

all we have atm is speculation

so holding back on farming gear that you could use to get coin or to farm the new instances because a item you will not be able to afford for 2 years is wrong imo

that said i wouldent +12 a set of bound tt nirvana axes till after the expansion or sink 200 mill into tt 100 fists so there is a balance

@ seph if your planing on tt nirvana pants procrastinate on the chest and go HA legs+belt LA arms+ boots for slightly cheaper 4 base
    edited November 2010
    Options
    all we have atm is speculation

so holding back on farming gear that you could use to get coin or to farm the new instances because a item you will not be able to afford for 2 years is wrong imo

How about keep farming, save your coin? If new gear does come out, old gear will be a lot cheaper. Big IF, but you won't lose anything.

that said i wouldent +12 a set of bound tt nirvana axes till after the expansion or sink 200 mill into tt 100 fists so there is a balance

I'm pretty sure that was my point. xP
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    How about keep farming, save your coin? If new gear does come out, old gear will be a lot cheaper. Big IF, but you won't lose anything.

the problem is that your applying something that works for +10ing a bound item to getting farming gear for 4 aps

dont know about you but when i hit permaspark at 99 my profits per week will just about double not to mention that he would actually be wanted in squads to farm w/e the new instance is

i doubt g 16 will have a -.15 arm/boot combo for 30 mill thus my example of 7 bill+ per current g 16 item
    edited November 2010
    Options
    the problem is that your applying something that works for +10ing a bound item to getting farming gear for 4 aps

dont know about you but when i hit permaspark at 99 my profits per week will just about double not to mention that he would actually be wanted in squads to farm w/e the new instance is

i doubt g 16 will have a -.15 arm/boot combo for 30 mill thus my example of 7 bill+ per current g 16 item

You're making more assumptions than I am. As for the cost of potential G16... I'm pretty sure PWE has taken notice of the costs of Warsoul and Rank 9 gears and would make it a bit easier to obtain (like they did with Nirvana vs Rank 8), otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it.

By all means, continue to farm and upgrade your APS. I didn't say that. However, I'd wait on spending 250m on interval tome or 150m+ on TT100 fists or G15 Nirvana claws/fists at this point without knowing what's going to be out in a couple of months.

Hint: PWE screwed themselves with APS users and upgrading armor... too many people *don't* upgrade more pieces to higher grade, more expansive and higher company profit Nirvana armor/weapons because of a lack of hitting 5aps with a full set of Nirvana armor. I would be surprised if this discrepancy wasn't corrected, if only for the company's profit margin. Have a little foresight will you? I'm not saying it will happen, but don't pretend that it can't or wont. That would just be naive.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    You're making more assumptions than I am. As for the cost of potential G16... I'm pretty sure PWE has taken notice of the costs of Warsoul and Rank 9 gears and would make it a bit easier to obtain (like they did with Nirvana vs Rank 8), otherwise there wouldn't be any point to it.

By all means, continue to farm and upgrade your APS. I didn't say that. However, I'd wait on spending 250m on interval tome or 150m+ on TT100 fists or G15 Nirvana claws/fists at this point without knowing what's going to be out in a couple of months.

Hint: PWE screwed themselves with APS users and upgrading armor... too many people *don't* upgrade more pieces to higher grade, more expansive and higher company profit Nirvana armor/weapons because of a lack of hitting 5aps with a full set of Nirvana armor. I would be surprised if this discrepancy wasn't corrected, if only for the company's profit margin. Have a little foresight will you? I'm not saying it will happen, but don't pretend that it can't or wont. That would just be naive.

read back to my "g 16 becomeing widely used would **** bm's" comment

from a balance prespective 5 aps is obscene damage however it required low grade gear so if g 16 int was widely used 5 aps would truely be OP

2nd recast nirvana = 500 mill and is only weapon

rank 8 = 640 mill and is weapon+ an amazing top and ring

lets put a lunar ring and tt 99 top on the nirvana and assume at least 5 rerolls to get decent stats

625 mill for nirvana vs 640 for rank 8 total value, i dont see much of a cost drop here (yes you can buy rap's cheap on sale but then again you can DP for rep)

add on that no bm rank gear has int our warsouls lack int and the g 15 nirvana set adds are built for barbs and casters more than int classes i'd say its safe to assume that pwi will not release any -.15 g 16 arms or any - int tops for HA
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The thing about Nirvana vs Rank 8 is that it's easier and more directly farmed. You can obtain pieces as you are farming it, whereas you need to spend all that money up front before receiving any benefit to Rank gear. That's why you see more Nirvana geared casters than you do Rank 8. You farm a piece here, then farm a piece later... etc.

Of course Rank 8 is better for the money because you get the ring/top/weapon but Nirvana is far closer to instant gratification, which if you haven't paid attention to many people who actually have farmed their Rank 8 or Nirvana sets, isone of the major selling points of it.

But, with the latest +20 attack levels add on G15 Nirvana... it's far better. If the new G16 equipment is farmable as well, it may prove to be more popular than Nirvana gear, just as Nirvana gear is over Rank gear.

BTW Rank gear for BM horribly sucks too. So there is no point for it as a heavy.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    The thing about Nirvana vs Rank 8 is that it's easier and more directly farmed. You can obtain pieces as you are farming it, whereas you need to spend all that money up front before receiving any benefit to Rank gear. That's why you see more Nirvana geared casters than you do Rank 8. You farm a piece here, then farm a piece later... etc.

Of course Rank 8 is better for the money because you get the ring/top/weapon but Nirvana is far closer to instant gratification, which if you haven't paid attention to many people who actually have farmed their Rank 8 or Nirvana sets, isone of the major selling points of it.

But, with the latest +20 attack levels add on G15 Nirvana... it's far better. If the new G16 equipment is farmable as well, it may prove to be more popular than Nirvana gear, just as Nirvana gear is over Rank gear.

BTW Rank gear for BM horribly sucks too. So there is no point for it as a heavy.

2% chance = 1 in 50 so assuming 49 rerolls at 7 raptures each at 1.8 mill raptures

now we're up to 713 mill for g 15 so ofc it has to be better

and you do get progressive boosts from rank 8 in the form of the rings and the rank 4/6 tops

yup bm rank gear sucks nut however i would still sell my left kidney for those axes+ring
    edited November 2010
    Options
    2% chance = 1 in 50 so assuming 49 rerolls at 7 raptures each at 1.8 mill raptures

now we're up to 713 mill for g 15 so ofc it has to be better

and you do get progressive boosts from rank 8 in the form of the rings and the rank 4/6 tops

yup bm rank gear sucks nut however i would still sell my left kidney for those axes+ring

*sigh* assuming 49 rolls. Yes, you know that's not really how it works though...

The rank 4 and 6 tops are horrible for a BM at 10x. So that's not progressive boosts at all. That's NPC food until you reach rank 8.

Rank 8 weapon is a poleaxe isn't it? It's not all that great from what I remember.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    *sigh* assuming 49 rolls. Yes, you know that's not really how it works though...

The rank 4 and 6 tops are horrible for a BM at 10x. So that's not progressive boosts at all. That's NPC food until you reach rank 8.

Rank 8 weapon is a poleaxe isn't it? It's not all that great from what I remember.

not talking rank on a bm talking rank on a class worth getting rank as a basis for comparison for your rank vs g 15 statement

it could be 19094 rolls it could be there when you 2nd recast however its an average of 50 thus 49 rerolls+recast is the average cost

was talking the +30 attack level GoF g 16 rank 9 axes and the +50% acc +5 def level ring with 200+ base attackb:dirty sorry if i didnt make that clear
    edited November 2010
    Options
    not talking rank on a bm talking rank on a class worth getting rank as a basis for comparison for your rank vs g 15 statement

it could be 19094 rolls it could be there when you 2nd recast however its an average of 50 thus 49 rerolls+recast is the average cost

was talking the +30 attack level GoF g 16 rank 9 axes and the +50% acc +5 def level ring with 200+ base attackb:dirty sorry if i didnt make that clear

Oh ok. Yeah, rank 9 would be epic... Considering the cost though,I think I'd rather try for the 4.0 warsoul fist build.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Oh ok. Yeah, rank 9 would be epic... Considering the cost though,I think I'd rather try for the 4.0 warsoul fist build.

tis sad that we cant hit 5 aps with our warsoul and archers/sins can...
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited November 2010
    Options
    bm's get 1 weapon of their choice from 1 of the 4 trees, all are terrible

g15 nirvana with good mods is actually better than rank 8. my quoit has more magic attack and a cast mod. -10 cast, +130 matk x2
    edited November 2010
    Options
    tis sad that we cant hit 5 aps with our warsoul and archers/sins can...

Yeah, that is kind of screwed up. Oh well... hopefully the new expansion brings something exciting for us.

prof wrote: »
    bm's get 1 weapon of their choice from 1 of the 4 trees, all are terrible

g15 nirvana with good mods is actually better than rank 8. my quoit has more magic attack and a cast mod. -10 cast, +130 matk x2

You have a G15 weapon with -10% channeling and 2 matk bonuses? That's incredibly lucky.

Which server is this on? CN? MY?
  • Steopie - Heavens Tear
    Steopie - Heavens Tear Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Sorry if ive been lazy and totally missed something but...

Can i have a source for this 'G16' shizzle? or is micheal just making up random jibberish with no official facts or sources again? (g15 -0.1 int cape LLOLLOLZ)

Obviously, if youre stashing money for something 'big', hold out for a few months and see what comes with this expansion, however ive not seen anything to suggest G16 gear thats 'better' than nirvana.

(im currently aiming at stashing circa 600mill for G15 axes, unless something changes in which case i'll have funds to get w/e is best at the time, arent I clever?)

All im aware of is 'they' have announced "new gear", which could mean anything, from just weps and rank gear for new classes, to a 'nirvana for lowbies' (something like a 90+ instance for g12 gear?) to endgame gear which is equivalent to what nirvana is now. Theres another whole debate as to if new G16 would even be brought out, as this would make warsoul / r9 'less op' and hence not as desirable to the deep pocketed.

but yeah.. ive been lazy keeping up with the expansion info.. so maybe ive missed something, if so, source plz.

else: http://www.ageandanniesramblings.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/dreams.gif b:byeb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]