-chan gear not necessary?

Bexa - Heavens Tear
Bexa - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Venomancer
My main is lvl91 demon veno with no channeling gear, have 50 base vit and never had any problem healing my pet in FCC or when killing random bosses (I don't TT). Question: Is channeling gear needed at higher lvls? Like in Nirvana and stuff like that? I've never been at these high lvls, that's why I'm asking so I can invest in some -chan stuff in time. :x Ty~
Post edited by Bexa - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I'd say some channeling is good, for like bosses that hit really hard and you need to channel faster to get heals in between, but if you don't plan on doing bosses like that, then the channeling isnt needed. I'm not sure if you have a herc or not, but I would hope you know that I'm talking about healing one. Some bosses in TT (even though you said you didnt TT) hit really hard, like drum, SB, wurlord(if you feel confident tanking him). I'd say those bosses you need channeling for. At least 12% for SB and drum... and probably 30% for wurlord cause hes a pain. But, my experiece is as far as my lvl, I can't really comment on anything about nirvana, but I don't think pets tank in there.
    >.<
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    How do you do against Avalanche Brute, and Xenospace Drake?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I don't think that Veno has done those before yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Not sure if you were talking to me, but i'd assume you were talking to the OP. In case not, no I havent done those bosses yet, but they're OHT bosses right? I only have 2 maps open atm, and last hard oht boss i did was in unicorn forest for part of chrono early on (right after unicorn forest was unlocked). Yea, it was a pain but i managed, somehow with 12% chan.
    >.<
  • tweakz
    edited November 2010
    Soloing mobs in Warsong?
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    Cocobelle - Sanctuary Posts: 960 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'd say -channeling gear is a luxury for venos compared to wizards and clerics. First of all, you can DD and heal alternatively during some bosses. You can do that without -channeling gear but it comes out more smoothly when you have at least -12% chan as mentioned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Speaking as one with about -30%(soon -36), I'd say you'd only need -chan if you herc tank a lot on very hard hitting bosses. You're so fast that you can throw more attacks in between pet heals. In your everyday life as a veno though, -chan is not necessary.

Though with rare pet taming, you might need quite alot =p.
  • Bexa - Heavens Tear
    Bexa - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Okay, thanks for the help, everyone. (: The best I had was 9% (Endless Ambiguity and Sleeves of Sea Captain but I did not feel a huge change).
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    12 % won't give u a big noticable difference , try 18 % and more maybe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    You will notice a difference at -20.
  • tweakz
    edited November 2010
    Not much of anything is really necessary. Channeling helped me beat venos 6 levels higher than me in public quest, helped me regularly place in the top 5 in the summer event (making millions of coin per hour), helps me finish dailies in OHT maps, helps me grind much faster, helps me build spark faster. It's more about how good you want to be.
  • Nella - Sanctuary
    Nella - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    No offence, but I always ended 1st or 2nd in PQ with no channeling gear. I am very happy with my killing speed, I basically kill most mobs with 2-3 skills when I grind. When Herc's Bash recharges I can start killing an other mob or even AoE grind with Herc. But I spend 99% of my life in FCC where boss debuffing and chi giving is more important than attack speed anyways (for Venos). I never had a problem tanking anything - note that I know what I can and can't tank, there are bosses that cannot be tanked with Herc even with -43767% channeling. I know how to build chi fast, but if I really need 2 sparks asap, I just cast Cloud Eruption, heh. :P I don't do events because they start after midnight for me, but I earn enough money without them, so whatever, lol. (Never spent a dollar on this game).

So basically, -chan is for Venos who fail without it (no offence, again). Seriously, I can understand -chan on Clerics and Wizzies but Venos and Psychics do not need it at all, you're better with mag / vit gear. Peace! b:victory
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Some channeling is necessary. If you think of it this way, it's your attacks and heals, so obviously faster heals and attacks can't be a bad thing. So it would be a smarter idea to have more channeling. Now, if you're a HA or HA/AA build, obviously it isn't practical for the average player to get a crapload of channeling, so I'd say -chan weapon, -chan rings, and maybe -chan robe might be more than enough as a HA or HA/AA build. For any pure MAG AA or VIT AA veno build you want as much channeling as you can get, sometimes swapping certain ornaments for pdef for phys AOE. It's pretty straight forward.
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Depending on what you're doing, channel can make the difference between spam healing and heal-attack. In some cases it can also make some bosses soloable that weren't before (able to squeeze in a purge, heal in between hits, etc). Earthquake/Lightning Chaser/other interrupts are great, but sometimes bosses will just hit hard and that extra fast healing power comes in handy.

While it isn't necessary in the sense that you'll fail as a veno without it, but it greatly increases your effectiveness. You can DD more for your squad, pass chi and build it back up faster, pull via tame pet, the list goes on and on. Personally, I find that channelling faster can be better over all than going for +mag/mag attack gear if you can get to the point where you're throwing in an extra spell.

In regards to taming rare pets, I'd advise zooming thunder powder over channelling gear if you're serious about it. Since it's a one time cast, it doesn't matter what your overall channel speed is.

I'd say that channelling has a noticable effect with every 20% you go.
  • qills
    qills Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I can understand -chan on Clerics and Wizzies but Venos and Psychics do not need it at all, you're better with mag / vit gear.

This.

/thread b:bye
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    No offence, but I always ended 1st or 2nd in PQ with no channeling gear. I am very happy with my killing speed, I basically kill most mobs with 2-3 skills when I grind. When Herc's Bash recharges I can start killing an other mob or even AoE grind with Herc. But I spend 99% of my life in FCC where boss debuffing and chi giving is more important than attack speed anyways (for Venos). I never had a problem tanking anything - note that I know what I can and can't tank, there are bosses that cannot be tanked with Herc even with -43767% channeling. I know how to build chi fast, but if I really need 2 sparks asap, I just cast Cloud Eruption, heh. :P I don't do events because they start after midnight for me, but I earn enough money without them, so whatever, lol. (Never spent a dollar on this game).

So basically, -chan is for Venos who fail without it (no offence, again). Seriously, I can understand -chan on Clerics and Wizzies but Venos and Psychics do not need it at all, you're better with mag / vit gear. Peace! b:victory

It depends on where your magic and HP are coming from. -channel really shines when you have it massively stacked, and you're making up your HP from refines and your def from shards. For instance, if you cash out a demon wiz (you can get almost 80% channel with dedicated crafting and plenty of coin in your gear), they're a force to be reckoned with. But they require a lot of investment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry but I beg to differ to the people who say -channeling is useless for venos. It's not a requirement for any arcane class, seriously. But it is nice to have.

I currently have -39% channeling and I don't think I want to trade that for physical defense. First of all, our only (sort-of) spammable AOE (Noxious Gas) can be casted faster. I can out DD venos, psychics, clerics and in some cases, wizards which is helpful in bringing certain bosses down fast. As tweakz said, it helps with grinding and being up to par with other classes.

From a sage veno's perspective as well, I can build chi faster thus allowing me to use sparks or pass them in instances. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry but I beg to differ to the people who say -channeling is useless for venos. It's not a requirement for any arcane class, seriously. But it is nice to have.

I currently have -39% channeling and I don't think I want to trade that for physical defense. First of all, our only (sort-of) spammable AOE (Noxious Gas) can be casted faster. I can out DD venos, psychics, clerics and in some cases, wizards which is helpful in bringing certain bosses down fast. As tweakz said, it helps with grinding and being up to par with other classes.

From a sage veno's perspective as well, I can build chi faster thus allowing me to use sparks or pass them in instances. b:surrender

Agreed with a slight caveat for the part in red. There are a couple of places where that extra p.def may be necessary. However, there's nothing stopping you from having swap equips.

Although going from full channel gear to full defense gear can make you feel quite sluggish. :/
  • Cocobelle - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    Agreed with a slight caveat for the part in red. There are a couple of places where that extra p.def may be necessary. However, there's nothing stopping you from having swap equips.

Although going from full channel gear to full defense gear can make you feel quite sluggish. :/

I actually dislike switching equipments. Physical defense doesn't concern me much from personal experience when I have my pet tanking acting as my main source of defense. Although people may say I'm pet reliant, well, that's what they're made for. I can still function with or without a pet and fox form grants me physical defense for me to use when I need it.

And yes, I do notice a difference when I switch gears. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Another difference between high channeling and no channeling is in pk/tw/dueling. The person that gets the stun off first has a huge advantage. Lucky scarab and parasitic nova are uberlicious with 50% channeling.

The only downside that I can think of to having really high channeling is that you go through mp like crazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited November 2010
    The real problem is getting stuck in cooldowns. It'll be a waiting game then(and you'll be spamming just venomous at this point..).

I'd say..40-45% is healthy -channel.
    edited November 2010
    I actually dislike switching equipments. Physical defense doesn't concern me much from personal experience when I have my pet tanking acting as my main source of defense. Although people may say I'm pet reliant, well, that's what they're made for. I can still function with or without a pet and fox form grants me physical defense for me to use when I need it.

And yes, I do notice a difference when I switch gears. b:surrender

To each their own. I was mainly thinking of phys aoes. I, at least, am very squishy in my full channel gear even in fox form.
    The real problem is getting stuck in cooldowns. It'll be a waiting game then(and you'll be spamming just venomous at this point..).

I'd say..40-45% is healthy -channel.

I actually found that the overall variance in the skills I used went up as I got higher channeling speeds. This could be a by product of going demon though (faster cooldowns on most things). I have time to shoot off spells I wouldn't normally use because better ones are still in cooldown. This variance also helps with the "Invalid Skill" issue that sometimes crops up.

Regardless, I don't think that an extra venomous here and there is a bad thing as long as you do fire off other skills as well. It's when you hold down the venomous button and do nothing else that it becomes a problem- and that is independant on how much channel you have.