Perfect World: the Movie

Options
SaintToadElf - Archosaur
SaintToadElf - Archosaur Posts: 166 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Suggestion Box
Reasons to make a PW movie:
1. Existing audience of players. I heard PW has tens of millions of players all over the planet. The Movie will make back all the money spent to make it on DVD sales alone.
2. Widen the pool of players. New people will be interested and want to know what PW is about. They will download the game and enjoy playing it.
3. Merchandising. Other products tied to the movie can make additional money and also promote game awareness. Several waves of merchandising dependent upon the success of the previous wave could be implemented. T-shirts with cool PW designs, posters, even action figures. There's a lack of PW advertising in the U.S. market and merchandising can help fix that. PWI has many great games that millions of people love to play. Marketing can help millions of more people learn about these games and gain many more players.
4. No other MMO has done this yet. The recognition of this accomplishment will serve to boost PW's reputation.

The best way to make a PW movie:
Most movies that are based on a video game do not do well. This is because the people who wrote those movies based them upon their video game and what the characters can do. This is boring and only attracts an audience of males between 13 and 28 years old. Let's look at some examples:
Vampires: Love it or hate it, Twilight made lots of money, drastically increased the book sales and has become influential to society. People talk about it, have strong feelings (either way) about it, and even parody it. It's not really about vampires and werewolves. It's a fantasy romance that's about people, relationships, and feelings. By contrast, Underworld is about vampires, werewolves, their conflict, and what they can do. It's a flashy action movie with a limited audience.
Lord of the Rings wasn't about dwarfs, hobbits and elves fighting orcs and goblins. That would be boring. It was about good vs. evil, sacrifice, honor and duty, and the forbidden love between the human and the elvish princess. Those are much more powerful themes.
Any PW movie should be based in Perfect World, not be about Perfect World. A PW movie should have some cool action, but it shouldn't just be about the action. The movie should be about the story and only the story. Mechanics and details of the game should be sacrificed for the story when needed.
Example: Marvel Comics releases successful movies that don't always follow what has previously happened in the comic books. This is because they are not writing the movie for comic book fans. They make the movies for the wider audience. I know that many PW fans would love to see a PW movie (some already make their own) even if small details are ignored for the sake of a good story.

I know PWI has a great pool of creative artists and writers. The creative resources to make a spectacular movie are within reach. I would recommend an animated format because the costuming and settings for a live action movie based in Perfect World could easily become too expensive. 3D is a big thing lately and it can really add to the beauty of a production. Take Avatar for example.

Even with the best voice actors and animators, I know PWI will make back any money it spends on the movie just from DVD sales alone. Millions of people already love to play PW and most will buy the movie. More people will become players in PWI games after watching the movie. Additional products based on the movie or other PWI games will increase profits and widen the number of people who become players. A powerful movie can be a great work of art on its own, feeding the dreams of people across the world.
Post edited by SaintToadElf - Archosaur on

Comments

• SaintToadElf - Archosaur
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ok, I typed most of it out by hand. Sorry about the messy threads. I hope this idea can help to inspire the creative people of PWI. Even just making TV commercials for PW in the U.S. would be a good idea.

Some powerful themes that I have already noticed in PW are:
    War, it's effects on people and their hopes for peace.
    Treachery and betrayal.
    Unrequited love, like the banker in S. Arch chasing after the elf guardian lady.
    Sacrifice for the greater good.
    Brotherhood and friendship, like the quests with Goshi and Dizzy.
    Desperation and the need to overcome a great enemy before all is lost.

Feel free to post additional ideas or themes you feel would work well.
  • Vorhs - Lost City
    Vorhs - Lost City Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    please destroy this thread
    If you happy wanna be, against the wind you won't have to pee.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Why can't I fit the large amount of text I would like to post? Could somebody plz help me here? My suggestion is a little less than 2 pages on Word. When i try to copy/paste it only posts a few paragraphs. I'm too tired to type it all out. I'm going to bed. Somebody plz leave me some advise on how to paste my suggestion here. Do I need to use a certain text size? Is it the bullet points? Is it just something about Word? Should I use Notepad instead? Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

Reasons to make a PW movie:
    Existing audience of players. I heard PW has tens of millions of players all over the planet. The movie will probably make back all the money spent to make it on DVD sales alone.
    Widen the pool of players. New people will be interested and want to know what it

um this is ganna sound really stupid... but it works... no idea why, but...

delete all the " " from the post

that should allow you to post the whole thing
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Yes, use Notepad instead. The forums don't recognize Word's apostrophes, hyphens, and probably some other ones.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Ok, I typed most of it out by hand. Sorry about the messy threads. I hope this idea can help to inspire the creative people of PWI. Even just making TV commercials for PW in the U.S. would be a good idea.

Some powerful themes that I have already noticed in PW are:
    War, it's effects on people and their hopes for peace.
    Treachery and betrayal.
    Unrequited love, like the banker in S. Arch chasing after the elf guardian lady.
    Sacrifice for the greater good.
    Brotherhood and friendship, like the quests with Goshi and Dizzy.
    Desperation and the need to overcome a great enemy before all is lost.

Feel free to post additional ideas or themes you feel would work well.

OK, I finished typing my suggestion out. Sorry about having 3 threads open about this, I had trouble trying to copy/paste from Word.

Thanks Grimm
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I would like to see the quest stories of perfect world.
    I skipped a lot of quest texts and I kinda regret it
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Instead of a movie, i'm thinking a aminated tv series for some reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • grimreaperhc
    grimreaperhc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Mods, please destroy the other threads. This is the one other people have already added to so it's the one I would like to submit.

Done.
    Any other requests?
  • Walpurgis - Harshlands
    Walpurgis - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    PWI movie?... better focus on make the game more fun so ppl come back an play more
  • Masuna - Harshlands
    Masuna - Harshlands Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    what a great idea !!! a 2 hour movie on people calling out "LF 5.0 for nirvana" lmao
  • ironmaiden00
    ironmaiden00 Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    you all mean it serious with that movie? maybe you dont know how expensive such a movie is to create. otherwise a low budget movie sucks. and where did they find a cast.
    so an naimated movie will be cheaper and will be better to look then bad acting.

but one thing why there is an idea of making a movie. not even WoW have a movie, so why then pwi. who will look such a movie. an better ide will be a production of comic or manga. sorry i look always on WoW, i dont like the game but it seems the suport is awsome if they do something like this:
    http://i.neoseeker.com/n/1/wow_manga_thumb.jpg
    but they dont do it for comercial stuff. they do it for more money. the people which spend money on playing give also money for buying the manga. this kind of stuff is just for making money not for making the game more popular!!!

an pwi manga will be realy cool. eaven if someone do it for yourself and put it online on the forum i love to see it.

the most efective thing for getting new players is comercials. more comercials in web and tv. i saw the comercial in german tv and since then the playerbase grows. its like florensia they show on german tv in the time animated series are running. so thats realy efective coz they show florensia before and after one piece, whic is an mmo where you can fight on sea.

sorry but this idea i cannot take serious. of course it will be nice to have a movie. but before the people that whach the movie are laughing to death coz of a bad production, better stop such ideas. an animated movie why not. and it fits in pwi, coz its an asian game with a sort of manga-look.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JamesJutsu - Dreamweaver
    JamesJutsu - Dreamweaver Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other week o.o And I'm liking it, but, please. if they DO make a movie, God forbid it to be ANYTHING the DragonBall Z movie..the real people...that sucked. make it animated. Also..make it a trilogy, because getting from lvl 1 to 100 in 2 hours seems boring.
    If anyone's seen the .**** movies. that's a pretty successful anime/game/movie, So it is possible to turn a game into a movie/anime, hence the anime/movies were basically off the game; .****//G.U. After all PWI is a large played MMO, as was .**** in its days, it still is. So long as they make a good enough and exciting looking trailer for the movies, I'm sure it will be successful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jokerxdude
    jokerxdude Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    +cough+
    WIPb:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Why So Stupid?

Want a darker race? A race fighting for their humanity?
    Go here
    > pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132 You know you want to.

Anime! Anime! Oh PW Anime!
    Coming Soon...
    edited November 2010
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other week o.o And I'm liking it, but, please. if they DO make a movie, God forbid it to be ANYTHING the DragonBall Z movie..the real people...that sucked. make it animated. Also..make it a trilogy, because getting from lvl 1 to 100 in 2 hours seems boring.
    If anyone's seen the .**** movies. that's a pretty successful anime/game/movie, So it is possible to turn a game into a movie/anime, hence the anime/movies were basically off the game; .****//G.U. After all PWI is a large played MMO, as was .**** in its days, it still is. So long as they make a good enough and exciting looking trailer for the movies, I'm sure it will be successful.

It can't be about leveling / grinding, that would just be boring. It only need Perfect World in the title and be set in that world. The manga The Slayers could have been set in PW. It shouldn't be about the game. It shouldn't be ABOUT the world of PW. It should only be set IN PW. Heck, find a script that has a comedy / action / romance / fantasy written by someone who's never heard of PW and just color in some details into the background. Video game movies suck because they try to make it about the game. That should be avoided.
    edited November 2010
    Options
    It probably doesn't need a character of each class, at least not in the group of main characters. I'm thinking the main character should be a male Blademaster with a Barb buddy. Maybe the barb has a goofy veno sister who's a failed scam artist. A vain archer who takes himself way too seriously. A cleric who is like a nun and was raised sheltered and is completely naive. I wouldn't include any tideborn, but it could work. Maybe the BM has a crush on this wizard girl but she's completely unreachable and later she betrays Etherblade for the Wraith?
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This is like a blaring reminder that I need to write more on my fanfiction and get through my writers' block.

the only way I could see this working is a fan made movie. People are pretty amazing at pulling together resources when necessary but you'd really have to light a fire under someone's rear to get it done. PWI, as much as the game used to be great, the devs need to get their heads out of their asses before they do anything else to make money. Granted the new expansion looks kinda fun...

Ugh, more things to write into my fanfic. Dammit... xD I'll just save them for a sequel...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
    edited November 2010
    Options
    This game has a lot of interesting themes that could be used for a feature length production. The invading Wraith are mutating the creatures of the world, causing environmental disaster, economic tragedy, and interrupting the lives all of the people.
    The Wraith are an implacable enemy. They can come out of anywhere, and as a result traditional military tactics are almost useless, just like with terrorism. This is probably also the reason young people are out fighting the wraith is small, mobile forces instead of larger units. You can't send a force to attack something that isn't there.
    The Wraith threat has practically created a new age of heroes with the young people as the possible saviors. Some will probably rise up to protect the people. Others might become heroes for the glory and selfish reasons and might want the conflict to continue so they keep being treated well.
    This threat has forced the different races into peace and they must bury their past conflicts, but those old wounds could reopen, at least on an individual basis. Everyone probably has a relative who fight against another race at one time or another.
    The fall of the Talon order to the wraith could be a pivotal plot point.
    Things are bad and just seem to keep getting worse. But young people are young people and humor, hope, and romance will tend to follow them.
    I know someone could make an awesome and engaging story out of this.
  • /zus - Dreamweaver77
    /zus - Dreamweaver77 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    please destroy this thread

omg rofl

This game has no history , whats the point?
    Im still believing in WoW the movie, but not PWI, never lol.
  • Darth_Puggy - Archosaur
    Darth_Puggy - Archosaur Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options

This game has no history , whats the point?
    Im still believing in WoW the movie, but not PWI, never lol.

I disagree. It's rich history includes the wars between the various races before the Wraith invasion ended them. The Secret Frostcovered Grounds was originally a fortress for the Talon order. The "rediscovery" of the Tideborn confirms the legends of their existence in older lore. Their fight with the Nightspike is a situation that could get worse. The legends of Pan Gu are still around.
    There's a rich history that can be built upon. You must not read any of your quests. Not my problem, bro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /zus - Dreamweaver78
    /zus - Dreamweaver78 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Not my problem, bro.

I have no problems ><
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    eh i almost made one about a year ago i believe it was but then i moved on got kind of bored was taking up to much of my game addicted life even tho it was almost finishedb:avoid
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Darth_Puggy - Archosaur
    Darth_Puggy - Archosaur Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Options
    anwynd wrote: »
    eh i almost made one about a year ago i believe it was but then i moved on got kind of bored was taking up to much of my game addicted life even tho it was almost finishedb:avoid

You should really finish it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]