Calling all math nerds- DoT and def calcs pls

Sakubatou - Sanctuary
Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
Okay. This has come up a few times in my faction and reminded my of my question about calculating defenses, too.

How do I figure out which is better for an endgame weapon: DoTs or garnet/saphires in my weapon?

How can I calculate the benefits of adding vit stones vs. garnets/saphires vs. Jade of Steady Defense/Diamond of Dragons.

Looking for the equations so I can run the numbers on multiple characters with different gear setups. b:bye thanks!
Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
Post edited by Sakubatou - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2010

+1 b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • extreemskyguy
    extreemskyguy Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    y does it say the servers r on line when i cant log on b:worried
  • Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    y does it say the servers r on line when i cant log on b:worried

*sigh* http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=906922 b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    DoTs are always really bad in weapons. Never do it. You might as well be putting citrine in your weapon since DoTs only really belong in armor.

Garnet / Sapphire always add alot more damage even with +12 refines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Chewizard - Lost City
    Chewizard - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Nothing amazing
    happens here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Only the ordinary.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure I stole this from WarrenWolfy, but if I'm mistaken feel free to take credit...

In conclusion, the correct formulas to calculate the effect of attack and defense level are:

if (atk lv > def lv) then:

damage taken = { damage delivered * ( 1 + ({ atk lv } - { def lv }) / 100 ) }

if (atk lv < def lv) then:

damage taken = { damage delivered / ( 1 + (1,2 * ({ def lv } - { atk lv }) / 100 ) ) }

Where {} means enter part or truncate the number; for example { 367,9 } = 367
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited November 2010

Ahh, Dark. I checked there and the hundreds of results that came back were all from people who used that lame joke long before you did. If you don't know the answer or understand the math, just say so next time
    ;)
    And I'd searched already and discovered mutliple dead posts with incorrect numbers so was wondering if anyone had figured it out. Thanks Tojop.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Yamiino - Heavens Tear
    Yamiino - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,031 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I just don't get why people pay mils on these stones or w/e, blessings give you +5-+30 def. and some others attack level, and its not so big of a difference.

I'm trying to understand, the why.

Psy has a voodoo that gives +12 attack level, why paying so much money to get a weapon with +2 attack level? O_o lmao.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it, thanks.
    WTB> -12% channeling BELT or RING pm me with link or mail me ingame HT server, ty.
  • OptimusRhyme - Raging Tide
    OptimusRhyme - Raging Tide Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I just don't get why people pay mils on these stones or w/e, blessings give you +5-+30 def. and some others attack level, and its not so big of a difference.

I'm trying to understand, the why.

Psy has a voodoo that gives +12 attack level, why paying so much money to get a weapon with +2 attack level? O_o lmao.

If anyone could explain this to me I'd appreciate it, thanks.

the point being, if you shard numerous of these stones, you are looking at up to 24% extra damage. factor in jone's blessing and any gear attack level bonuses, you can do a substantial amount of damage. and for the def levels, its like sharding a garnet and saph at the same time, with up to 48% reduced damage from sockets alone.

and the reason you put garnets/saphs in weapons instead of diamond of tiger is because 1% estra damage is a lot lower than adding an extra 75 m attack or +75 p attack.

psy's voodoo may increae their own attack level, but it also decreases their defense level at the same time (and vice versa)
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Ahh, TheDan. I checked there and the hundreds of results that came back were all from people who used that lame joke long before you did. If you don't know the answer or understand the math, just say so next time
    ;)
    And I'd searched already and discovered mutliple dead posts with incorrect numbers so was wondering if anyone had figured it out. Thanks Tojop.

I'm not Dan, but he is a friend.

If you would have clicked that link, selected the 4th link on the Perfect World related threads, it would have taken you to this:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=698392

Certainly NOT hundreds of results, actually you would have to have been bothered to glance over 3 other links before this.

b:bye
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ehhh, signature
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    This belongs in archer forums.
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    This belongs in archer forums.

Yes it does, someone should move it
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure I stole this from WarrenWolfy, but if I'm mistaken feel free to take credit...
    That formula wasn't from me. My guess is that since it's about Damage, then probably some Archer figured it out.b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited November 2010
    That formula wasn't from me. My guess is that since it's about Damage, then probably some Archer figured it out.b:chuckle

Damn archers and their math b:surrender
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    The formula was backed out by azukaya, a wizard posting on the archer forums. But there was a lot of group effort involved, especially collecting the data.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=9805402#post9805402
  • Deora - Lost City
    edited November 2010
    The formula was backed out by azukaya, a wizard posting on the archer forums. But there was a lot of group effort involved, especially collecting the data.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=9805402#post9805402

That is all that matters, ijs

Damn archers and math b:surrender
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Wizards have more tricky skills though, mechanics-wise... especially with those wrong descriptions b:chuckle

Unfortunately plenty of wizzies are just like "omgwtfpwn1shot" and don't bother calculating the most efficient damage output for a build/combo. b:surrender
  • Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    I'll break it down for you

Diamond of tiger gives +1 attack level, attack level means it will do 1% more damage for every attack level you have above your opponent's defence level, considering the fact that your weapon can house 2 gems tops (if lucky) you would get 2% adittional damage, which means 2 adittional damage for every 100 damage you put in, therefore to get the top benefit off this you would need to cause large amounts of damage like 3k+ per hit, and even like that you would be getting 2% off 3,000 which is meagre 60 adittional damage, even if you managed to land 10k it's barely 200 adittional damage

Garnets/sapphires give adittional attack to the weapon, which is taken in account as thought it was the weapon's original damage (a weapon that has 300-400 phyisical attack and a perfect garnet that gives +40 physical attack will be taken as it were 340-440). Therefore, that adittional attack is also affected by your str or mag factor (depending on your class) which makes it a much more realiable source of power

It doesn't take a genius to figure out diamonds of tiger are **** in a weapon, buy a couple good gems with the money of one and have enough cash to spare for a few crab meat jiaozis
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)