Serious rubberbanding, constant DCing, inability to log in? Check this...

Gjinja - Raging Tide
Gjinja - Raging Tide Posts: 9 Arc User
edited November 2010 in Support Desk
(The problem)
Starting approximately a month ago the rubberbanding of my characters got progressively worse & worse while DCing happened more frequently, & even logging in was difficult at times. Eventually it was so bad it took hours to get from point any 'A' to point any 'B', IF I could get anywhere at all. Not just flying/landing but even running on the flat ground. Even the background fish on the client log-in page (before I log in) swam with erratic movement sometimes (indicating to me a client/server issue), & stranger still all this happened unpredictably, off & on. My comp has a dual core 3.04GHz processor, 3.25GB ram w/GeForce 9200 GT, even called my ISP & had my connection speed bumped up to make sure it wasn't that, so I was pretty sure the problem wasn't on my end. Thinking it had to be a PWI client/server issue I submitted a ticket on it & tech support actually did a great job of helping me troubleshoot everything... nothing helped. I couldn't play the game at all by now... I was sick about it.

(the apparent solution)
I was making sure I had the right/updated drivers for graphics when I noticed in 'Add/Remove Programs' a program I don't remember authorizing installation called "Pando", so I googled it. It's a legit (not malware or virus so not detected by those 'anti' progs) P2P/file sharing/Media enhancer that auto-DL's when encountering certain videos or games on the net. I found many posts saying it's very resource intensive & sucks up bandwidth like crazy. So I uninstalled & deleted all files associated w/Pando & the problem seems to have cleared up. I chased down the source, it was installed when I DL'd the GamersFirst Live client to play 9Dragons... so if you're having really severe rubberbanding effect, constant DCing &/or unable to log in, check your comp for Pando... or I have to assume other P2P/file sharing progs that run in the background could also cause the same issues b4 blaming it on PWI like I did. It may save you alot of headaches & down time.

(btw, I'm leaving the ticket open for a week or so to make sure this is the culprit & will edit this if the issues return, but so far so good)

just fyi for those having these issues...
Post edited by Gjinja - Raging Tide on

Comments

• NobleShot - Harshlands
    NobleShot - Harshlands Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    O my god! That is so worth to sticky or just keep this alive. Or to put this fact somewhere. I had huge lag problems too, after reading this i've looked in control panel for pando and wualia, here it is. Deleted it and games dont lag so much bowb:chuckle
    Thank you!b:victoryb:laugh
    Laikra
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    ...Even the background fish on the client log-in page (before I log in) swam with erratic movement sometimes (indicating to me a client/server issue),...

That's actually indicating that the problem is on your computer, not the client/server side. The rest of what you describe is also on the side of your computer. Even your solution shows that it is your computer that was the issue.

Basicaly what people should get from this is that 90% of the time, It's your computer that is causing the problem, NOT the client or the servers. Uninstall the 20 toolbars you've got running, shut down your P2P software, and check for unnecessary programs running in the background. (Things like the MSN toolbar and the MSN chat client REALLY eat up a lot of space. (not to mention the MSN chat client is notorious for people sending you viruses with.) Incorrect firewall configuration or management can also cause this issue. (ZoneAlarm, McAffee, and Norton being big culprits. (not to mention resource hogs)) I even close my printer software running in the system tray sometimes before I play.

IoBit's Game Booster and Advanced System Care are both free and work extremely well at cleaning things up to improve your gaming experience. Not only to they not hog your resources like many other programs, but actually free up many resources to give your PC that extra boost you need.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Gjinja - Raging Tide
    Gjinja - Raging Tide Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Well I'm not saying it fixed ALL of the rubberbanding/DCing issues, just most of the extreme scenarios & in fact at times they appear just as bad as before I uninstalled Pando. Tech support has been (& continues to be) very good at sticking with me throughout these issues seeking resolutions & has openly admitted to a "legit" bug causing such problems, but obviously it's just wise to seek out & eliminate all possibilities from the player's end as well.

I think the best approach is, don't assume (as I did in the beginning) the problem lies on either side individually, rather understand the chances are, most time issues find their origin from several sources & probably a bit from both sides, including aftermarket program interference. Simply be proactive working with tech support to eliminate as much as possible from your end, have patience & you'll come as close as is possible to resolving the majority of problems. This is my approach & slowly but surely things are getting better.