did you know..?

tearvalerin
tearvalerin Posts: 107 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
-that 'ding' you commonly hear people say came from everquest? it makes absolutely no sense how it's traveled from MMO to MMO, and now you can know why, because everquest DID have a ding when leveling.

-QQ really means to rage quit, and not crying? it originated in war craft 2, where pressing alt+QQ would leave a game early. this was usually indicative of a ragequit, and those who did it would be considered unskilled noobs. this means QQ more noob, means you are unskilled, and should go quit early before embarassing yourself.

-that the reason why daggers use dex to increase their damage is because of dungeons and dragons? daggers, knives, and other piercing weapons all used dex to increase their damage, (unless you were a rogue, then you could replace dex w/ cunning, but thats another story) which apparently got carried over to pw.

if you have any other interesting origins of commonly used terms/abbreviations, etc of things you always wondered were used on PW, fee free to add.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
last name ever, first name greatest
like a sprained ankle, i aint something you wanna play with.
Post edited by tearvalerin on

Comments

• KrittyCat - Dreamweaver
    KrittyCat - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Interesting...however, I would just say that you prolly shouldn't be mentioning other games in the forums. PWI tends to have a touchy spot when it comes to games in the same genre.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (Signature credit to NowItsAwn)

Survivor of Snow-Mageddon 2010, "The Great Earthquake" of 2011, and Sandy 2012 b:victory
  • tearvalerin
    tearvalerin Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    they'll get over it, its not like im advertizing, theyre technically dead games, having had their runs in the suns 10+ years ago. how they'd be offensive now is just plain ludicrous.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    last name ever, first name greatest
    like a sprained ankle, i aint something you wanna play with.
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I love saying ding when I level up for some reason. xD Never knew it originated from that game, lolz. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vipercat - Dreamweaver
    Vipercat - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    they'll get over it, its not like im advertizing, theyre technically dead games, having had their runs in the suns 10+ years ago. how they'd be offensive now is just plain ludicrous.
    You have to consider that most of the PWE/I staff's actions are in fact ludicrous. Also consider that these games that are 10+ years old still have a more active and responsible staff base that will still do their jobs. I expect this thread to be closed quickly...
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Lots of games I've played have ding-type noises when you level, lol. I just never got why people actually say 'ding' in chat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • LifeHunting - Lost City
    LifeHunting - Lost City Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    -that 'ding' you commonly hear people say came from everquest? it makes absolutely no sense how it's traveled from MMO to MMO, and now you can know why, because everquest DID have a ding when leveling.

-QQ really means to rage quit, and not crying? it originated in war craft 2, where pressing alt+QQ would leave a game early. this was usually indicative of a ragequit, and those who did it would be considered unskilled noobs. this means QQ more noob, means you are unskilled, and should go quit early before embarassing yourself.

-that the reason why daggers use dex to increase their damage is because of dungeons and dragons? daggers, knives, and other piercing weapons all used dex to increase their damage, (unless you were a rogue, then you could replace dex w/ cunning, but thats another story) which apparently got carried over to pw.

if you have any other interesting origins of commonly used terms/abbreviations, etc of things you always wondered were used on PW, fee free to add.

To the first one: Interesting. Never played everquest before so did not know that.

To the second one: Learn that a long time ago. Found it interesting, not it's lame.

To the third one: Never played D&D so funny thing to find out, eh?
  • Kasumi - Dreamweaver
    Kasumi - Dreamweaver Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Lots of games I've played have ding-type noises when you level, lol. I just never got why people actually say 'ding' in chat.

people want attention, what else
    Calamity
    Regenesis
    o_o.com

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    lol cool beans bro thx for informing us :D
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The original D&D is where many of the stat bases for MMO's come from. Just about any system that uses an attribute point base for defining attacks, Vit, CON, etc. is going to be based on this system at some point. Why? Because it's been around longer than computers. (D&D published 1974, Home PC's became mainstreamed in the late 70's).

The Everquest Ding I knew, I remember beta-testing that game, liked the Node-up sound from Meridian59 better though.

I remember wondering why in the world people were "QQing" and looking it up on the urban dictionary. b:chuckle
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    we should say vroooom!
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited October 2010

That's all very interesting, specially the QQ story b:laugh