Tank Build (max HP or higher APS?)

HippiePanda - Sanctuary
HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Barbarian
I am about to work on my endgame gear. Now i have to deceide between more APS or more HP / P-Def. What would be better in tanking Nirvana, TT3-X and doing TW's ?

1. Not wanna go Claw Barb (cant afford)
2. The following builds are affordable, but no money for better gear, so dont post Pan GU Tome or so.
3. The following builds includes only the pieces i have to decide between

with APS Gear
http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=63a3d5af8d0b0579

Pure Tank Gear
http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=b53766b5ca2eff5f
Post edited by HippiePanda - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Fist_Mama - Harshlands
    Fist_Mama - Harshlands Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    interval is pointless if you dont stack it. so go full tank build.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    this is a build i came up with a while ago myself and while it does certainly contain items that you say you can't afford - its at least worth working towards IMO. http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=fb797711963f234b

but really, if youre going for APS build as a tank (so that you can tank over top of other interval players), I think you'd want to go claw build.. Building as a standard HP/Def tank would benefit you best for TW IMO however - especially if you end up being the catapult puller.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    interval is pointless if you dont stack it. so go full tank build.

Yea, pretty much this.

Either go big or go home. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Interval is also pointless with hammer or axes. Unless you go claws/fists, interval won't make any difference in your tanking ability.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Interval is also pointless with hammer or axes. Unless you go claws/fists, interval won't make any difference in your tanking ability.

not necessarily. with more minus interval, you get more normals between reams = more damage based aggro + more chi for reams + faster sparking.

ofc you wont hold aggro with just auto attacking with 1.25 / 1.67 on axes.. but the additional damage from the -interval and additional sparking helps a lot IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    not necessarily. with more minus interval, you get more normals between reams = more damage based aggro + more chi for reams + faster sparking.

ofc you wont hold aggro with just auto attacking with 1.25 / 1.67 on axes.. but the additional damage from the -interval and additional sparking helps a lot IMO.

The point is that FR is obsolete at endgame if you have DDs with some intervals with you. Being able to spam FR faster with axes isn't going to change the end result of whether you are holding aggro or not. And that's what I mean by not making any difference - you'll still lose aggro, so it's not really worth invest in.
  • HippiePanda - Sanctuary
    HippiePanda - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Since i have Demon flesh ream and the APS difference between both builds would be only 0.28 APS shouldnt be worth it to give up 1200 HP for it. right?
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    The point is that FR is obsolete at endgame if you have DDs with some intervals with you. Being able to spam FR faster with axes isn't going to change the end result of whether you are holding aggro or not. And that's what I mean by not making any difference - you'll still lose aggro, so it's not really worth invest in.

maybe, if all you squad with is -interval DD's, which I will admit is nice TBH. Personally if I'm in a squad with them, they either A) better be able to tank themselves cuz I'm not going to have aggro wars with them to save their butts, B) need to learn how to not steal aggro with their damage dealing if they need someone else to tank.
    Since i have Demon flesh ream and the APS difference between both builds would be only 0.28 APS shouldnt be worth it to give up 1200 HP for it. right?

down to personal preference IMO. if you plan to be/are a catabarb I'd say to stat for as much vit/def as you can, but you're likely not going to be the "tank" in PvE instances if theres a 5.0 character in squad thats perma-sparking. Personally I've been on runs with them and I end up saving the run after they die on Steelation or Colluseast. I personally don't plan to be a Catabarb and I'm actually looking to increase my own damage output so that the runs I go on regardless of my role will go faster, hence i see it beneficial to go for -interval on axes (dont want to restat to claw personally) and still maintain decent HP for Armageddon. AFAIK with identical builds, one with full +10 vit stones, the other with full Diamond of Tiger - the armageddon damage would be near identical with the upside being on a Diamond of Tiger build, all your non armageddon hits would be hitting around 25 - 30 percent harder (depending how many you've got and what gear you're wearing). That's just IMO and seems to me personally to be a more versatile setup than to go fully vit or fully -interval claw, in which case you're somewhat limited in what you're role(s) will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..