An Early GM Response to the TW Changes

Comments

• Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Nothing worth fighting for? How about just a fight? Do people still PK even when everyone uses safety locks? Do people still go to DT with no intention to dig chests and just fight people?

On one hand people from landed factions correctly say that the pay really just covers for their expenses and nothing much more.

On the other hand, here you have people refusing to TW because they are no longer getting paid? For the majority of the un-landed factions, who paid for their TW expenses? Why did they TW before? So they can fight for weeks in hopes of finally having free PvP?

Lastly, both Sanctuary and LC had the map taken over by 1 dominant faction - before the TW changes. So we can't say what happened on HT couldn't have happened otherwise.

You're talking about minor skirmishes, you're talking about a momen'ts thrill and minor losses, you're also talking about a selected handful of players

When you go DT there's no risk to losing anything, and you can bail out anytime you want, also you lose nothing but a few coins in repairs, if you PK for fun you usually just bash a few guys then scram, never fight for too long and rarely ever invest many resources on it

In TW we're talking about a big fight, we're talking about a match that can go on for 3 hours without a clear victor (been there, done that), we're talking about going against up to 80 peeps that want to bash your crystal just as much as you want to bash theirs, we're talking about building 6 base towers and 6 middle road towers with a net value of 100k each (at the very least, you can build more if you want to to improve defences), we're talking about catapult scrolls, we're talking about charming barbarians and giving them apothecary remedies, we're talking about people using charms of their own, we're talking about crab meat jiaozi which is not cheap considering how fast you consume it (munched thru 200 of those in a 3 hour TW)

As stated above, TWing is not BY ANY MEANS cheap, even if your faction members are willing to fight with their own coins, how do you expect to build the towers and afford the catapult scrolls? and considering the fact that now only top-of-the-line factions own the entire map (keep reading for that) you have no choice but to build as much defence as you can

Most faction leaders are not stupid, and they know how to make a cost/benefit analysis like this: "it's going to cost the faction bank 1,2m coins to build all the towers and around 500k for catapult scrolls (not sure about the cost of those), that's 1,7m that are leaving the faction bank and never returning, plus it's going to cost us another 500k to PLACE A BID and see if we manage to somehow go into TW, so that's 2,2m that are going down the drain, also to have a realistic chance, barbarians that pull catapults must get at least a silver charm each (ideally gold) or they're gonna be dead before reaching the door, that's about 600k-1m coins per barbarian (some have charms of their own, but several factions offer their cata-pulling barbarians free charms for TW so they have no excuse for chickening out), so at least 3,5m coins are going down the drain in a TW, with no warrantee we will win ofc"

Now if they win, they will get meagre 100 mirages which are 1m coins, less than 30% of the original investment, and they can be sure they will be on the sights of the strong faction and they will try to overrun them on the next week for defying their power, so they consistently lost 2,5m coins off the faction bank AND the morale of the faction went down if they didn't win

On the other hand, if they just organize a few faction events like TT runs or WB hunting and invest on some loyal members' gear, they can effectively double or triple those 3,5m in about 2 hours with several good squads, what is it going to be?

Also as i said, some people are willing to fight just for the heck of it, some are not, and for a TW you need at least 50 peeps (ideally 80) all willing to fight, the selected handful might be corageous, but not strong enough

And for all of you GMs, look how awesome your patch was to prevent a single faction from taking over the whole map

http://galeon.com/pukopolis/Useenow.bmp

In some pen and paper roles that would be called a "critical fail!"
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    You're talking about minor skirmishes, you're talking about a momen'ts thrill and minor losses, you're also talking about a selected handful of players

When you go DT there's no risk to losing anything, and you can bail out anytime you want, also you lose nothing but a few coins in repairs, if you PK for fun you usually just bash a few guys then scram, never fight for too long and rarely ever invest many resources on it

In TW we're talking about a big fight, we're talking about a match that can go on for 3 hours without a clear victor (been there, done that), we're talking about going against up to 80 peeps that want to bash your crystal just as much as you want to bash theirs, we're talking about building 6 base towers and 6 middle road towers with a net value of 100k each (at the very least, you can build more if you want to to improve defences), we're talking about catapult scrolls, we're talking about charming barbarians and giving them apothecary remedies, we're talking about people using charms of their own, we're talking about crab meat jiaozi which is not cheap considering how fast you consume it (munched thru 200 of those in a 3 hour TW)

As stated above, TWing is not BY ANY MEANS cheap, even if your faction members are willing to fight with their own coins, how do you expect to build the towers and afford the catapult scrolls? and considering the fact that now only top-of-the-line factions own the entire map (keep reading for that) you have no choice but to build as much defence as you can

Most faction leaders are not stupid, and they know how to make a cost/benefit analysis like this: "it's going to cost the faction bank 1,2m coins to build all the towers and around 500k for catapult scrolls (not sure about the cost of those), that's 1,7m that are leaving the faction bank and never returning, plus it's going to cost us another 500k to PLACE A BID and see if we manage to somehow go into TW, so that's 2,2m that are going down the drain, also to have a realistic chance, barbarians that pull catapults must get at least a silver charm each (ideally gold) or they're gonna be dead before reaching the door, that's about 600k-1m coins per barbarian (some have charms of their own, but several factions offer their cata-pulling barbarians free charms for TW so they have no excuse for chickening out), so at least 3,5m coins are going down the drain in a TW, with no warrantee we will win ofc"

Now if they win, they will get meagre 100 mirages which are 1m coins, less than 30% of the original investment, and they can be sure they will be on the sights of the strong faction and they will try to overrun them on the next week for defying their power, so they consistently lost 2,5m coins off the faction bank AND the morale of the faction went down if they didn't win

On the other hand, if they just organize a few faction events like TT runs or WB hunting and invest on some loyal members' gear, they can effectively double or triple those 3,5m in about 2 hours with several good squads, what is it going to be?

Also as i said, some people are willing to fight just for the heck of it, some are not, and for a TW you need at least 50 peeps (ideally 80) all willing to fight, the selected handful might be corageous, but not strong enough

And for all of you GMs, look how awesome your patch was to prevent a single faction from taking over the whole map

http://galeon.com/pukopolis/Useenow.bmp

In some pen and paper roles that would be called a "critical fail!"

Well sayd, GMs need to read this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like a job for the Hero of Time! b:pleased

It will take the power of ALL CSer credit cards to defeat such an evil. b:shocked

rolf, credit cards seems to be the most powerful weapon against the evil in this game, who wants a TT weapon now? XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The patch was ok except that it didnt reset the maps. Had it reset the maps all lands would have been reverted back to PVE, something most faction will never experience. This would have brought in almost every faction bidding to own a land.

If they wanted to make a change they should have done it completely and not just half-assed.
  • Callam - Raging Tide
    Callam - Raging Tide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *kicks off the 3rd page*
  • Elednor - Harshlands
    Elednor - Harshlands Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Bumb / Convo starter:

Couldnt something with no NPC value be given as TW land payments to give people a reason to want to win? More than a badge for rank 9 which is something maybe 1/2 people will ever do on PWI.

Usubs, hypers, mounts, aero gear, wing widgets, teinkung / teisha stones, 1* Dorbs, Essence of nature, bronze/silver charms, event pots. The options are limitless.

These items wouldnt cause inflation as they "create" no coins, tho if the land owning faction wished they could sell them.

Im not saying alot of each item, but like low lvl lands could give 100 Usubs/50 hypers/50 essence of nature/5 bronze charms/500 event pots...

Race citys could give like 5 silver charms/ the NPC horse mount/ 50 teinkung/teisha/ 50 1* Dorbs/ 100 hypers/ 200 usubs.

Then 1k and archo could give 1 fly mount/ a 11ms mount/ 100 1* dorbs/ 10 silver charms...

Any 1 of the options, each one is random.

Just examples ofcourse, but this would give a reason for people to want to take land again. Something needs to be changed...the competition is gone...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The patch was ok except that it didnt reset the maps. Had it reset the maps all lands would have been reverted back to PVE, something most faction will never experience. This would have brought in almost every faction bidding to own a land.

If they wanted to make a change they should have done it completely and not just half-assed.

If they ever re set the map they better change the PvE fights too cause 5 min roll overs of mobs not fun b:surrender give us some jucied up mobs. And my fav idea make Arch and 1k fights be every single WB TT 3-3 bosses all Warsong bosses FB 99 bosses and nirvana bosses. Talk about a TW worth doing b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crunchycat
    crunchycat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    frankieraye, any updates?
  • Iulius - Heavens Tear
    Iulius - Heavens Tear Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If they ever re set the map they better change the PvE fights too cause 5 min roll overs of mobs not fun b:surrender give us some jucied up mobs. And my fav idea make Arch and 1k fights be every single WB TT 3-3 bosses all Warsong bosses FB 99 bosses and nirvana bosses. Talk about a TW worth doing b:dirty

THat could be awsome b:dirtyb:victory
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    THat could be impossible b:dirtyb:victory

fixed b:laugh

but no seriosly it would make for an epic TW lol.
    Wonder if it could be done in 3 hours though? might need to expand time for those wars by 2 or 3 hours b:shocked
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Any response from devs?
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Bumb / Convo starter:

Couldnt something with no NPC value be given as TW land payments to give people a reason to want to win? More than a badge for rank 9 which is something maybe 1/2 people will ever do on PWI.

Usubs, hypers, mounts, aero gear, wing widgets, teinkung / teisha stones, 1* Dorbs, Essence of nature, bronze/silver charms, event pots. The options are limitless.

These items wouldnt cause inflation as they "create" no coins, tho if the land owning faction wished they could sell them.

Im not saying alot of each item, but like low lvl lands could give 100 Usubs/50 hypers/50 essence of nature/5 bronze charms/500 event pots...

Race citys could give like 5 silver charms/ the NPC horse mount/ 50 teinkung/teisha/ 50 1* Dorbs/ 100 hypers/ 200 usubs.

Then 1k and archo could give 1 fly mount/ a 11ms mount/ 100 1* dorbs/ 10 silver charms...

Any 1 of the options, each one is random.

Just examples ofcourse, but this would give a reason for people to want to take land again. Something needs to be changed...the competition is gone...

I have suggested things like this in multiple threads before and sad to say it makes sense and is therefore overlooked.

I was thinking that a faction could get some type of fashion as long as you own specific territory. when u lose the land the fashion disappears. same with mounts and aero when u lose the land it disappears. and make it cool stuff not available any other way.

some land can have specific benefits ie TT land gets 200 free run tickets. same with lunar land. FB lands can have free trophy mode tickets.

all these things being non NPCable and if they actually wanted to do some coding they could make them only tradeable between guild members or only useable by people that are members of a particular faction.

theres all kinds of things you could do with the different lands and this community (most of it) is smart enuogh to come up with interesting things that would duly compensate those faction without infusing a ton of coin into the system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I have suggested things like this in multiple threads before and sad to say it makes sense and is therefore overlooked.

I was thinking that a faction could get some type of fashion as long as you own specific territory. when u lose the land the fashion disappears. same with mounts and aero when u lose the land it disappears. and make it cool stuff not available any other way.

some land can have specific benefits ie TT land gets 200 free run tickets. same with lunar land. FB lands can have free trophy mode tickets.

all these things being non NPCable and if they actually wanted to do some coding they could make them only tradeable between guild members or only useable by people that are members of a particular faction.

theres all kinds of things you could do with the different lands and this community (most of it) is smart enuogh to come up with interesting things that would duly compensate those faction without infusing a ton of coin into the system.

Sorry but I don't need 49 types of free, non-sellable, zero profit fashion and mounts, my mount is fine and tons of lame fashion is for women and crazydan.

100 dragon orbs per land sounds good. Can't NPC them for coin and they don't inject coin into the game. At the same time you can use/sell them so there is some value to holding land aside from the meager TW's.

Mirages and crapass rank badges are a joke.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    FALCON.....PAWWWWWWNSSSSH!
    b:question

Gee, I wonder how long we have to A: Bump this until we get an answer, or B: Bump this until the thread gets locked/moved?
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'll keep doing this until I get banned or something...

Bump.

Psssssst....we're not going to forget about this devs...you can uncross your fingers and maybe work on fixing?
  • Remmi - Raging Tide
    Remmi - Raging Tide Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Weeeeeee ... Unstickied, where threads go to die :)

You all got to say your peace so PWI can turn around and tell you, thank you for sharing, we don't give a @#$%.

Have a nice day, LOL
    b:laugh
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'll keep doing this until I get banned or something...

Bump.

Psssssst....we're not going to forget about this devs...you can uncross your fingers and maybe work on fixing?

I'm with you, I'm not letting anyone forget this thread. Everyone says to let it die, but that's exactly what the devs want.

We still want an answer to our questions devs. We wont forget.

Oh and that wont lock/move this to lower depths as long as a flame war doesnt start, because that would cause such a huge uproar
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    I'm with you, I'm not letting anyone forget this thread. Everyone says to let it die, but that's exactly what the devs want.

We still want an answer to our questions devs. We wont forget.

Oh and that wont lock/move this to lower depths as long as a flame war doesnt start, because that would cause such a huge uproar

Well good. Then we just keep bumping this up. If they lock it, it just means they're trying to hide ****.

......again.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    100 dragon orbs per land sounds good.

lol. That's only 6 times MORE than a land originally paid.

If a faction owned the whole map, that would be a +12 orb a week. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    edited October 2010

*starts to think about a world where members of Enraged, Zulu, and Calamity could +12 all of their gear without worrying about loosing celes*

b:shocked OH MY F--
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    *starts to think about a world where members of Enraged, Zulu, and Calamity could +12 all of their gear without worrying about loosing celes*

Just imagine how fast a faction could get all their core members to like +7-+8 full sets. A few months, really.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Tricannon - Dreamweaver
    Tricannon - Dreamweaver Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2010

o.o oh dear god help us all.....*hides in the bomb shelter*
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    KILL IT WITH FIRE AND HOLY WATER! Michael! Get some silver bullets! Tri, you get the stake!
    edited October 2010
    KILL IT WITH FIRE AND HOLY WATER! Michael! Get some silver bullets! Tri, you get the stake!

*brings in a large oak tree with the end of the trunk tapered off into a point* GOT THE STAKE hope it will due b:chuckle
    If I sound like I hate you, please don't take it personally...chances are I actually do.
  • Born_Free - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    *brings in a large oak tree with the end of the trunk tapered off into a point* GOT THE STAKE hope it will due b:chuckle

Tri, you're EQ aren't you? b:question
    edited October 2010
    Tri, you're EQ aren't you? b:question

former EQ....left when my veno was my main back in late january i think it was...or early feb...something like that XD
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well good. Then we just keep bumping this up. If they lock it, it just means they're trying to hide ****.

......again.

Frankie posts here either:

1) Devs are still making a decision whether or not they will change it.
    2) We have the changes planned, we'll announce it soon.
    3) Nothing will happen at the moment.

There's really no other choices imo.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2010

Are dragon orbs really 600k in lost city?

A faction owning the whole map used to bring in like 560m a week which is enough to buy a +12 orb. It turns out though that +12 orbs are difficult to split 200 ways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • ViciousKev - Dreamweaver
    ViciousKev - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    almost fell in to the lower depths dont want that to happen
  • captaincustard
    captaincustard Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    why not just limit the number of territorys a faction can hold?
This discussion has been closed.