best AoE class?

Options

Comments

• Ellantria - Heavens Tear
    Ellantria - Heavens Tear Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've actually seen the ice linear aoe psys have, and i think it's pretty sweet looking

Meh, after you've seen it cast for the nine thousand and second time, it's old. Non-psys might think it cool but to me, it's about as visually pleasing as Aqua Impact.

But Vector, now there's an AoE I always love to see. b:cute
    b:surrender Take me with you.....

> 3> I would, but you're on Harshlands.
    ┐('~`;)┌
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've actually seen the ice linear aoe psys have, and i think it's pretty sweet looking

And useful.

Stun -Freeze-Slow-Landslide knockback(PvE)-Repeat and your opponent will hate your guts.

Another reason I would argue Psys being perhaps the best option is that if you're a physical attacker AOEing magic attackers or archers, you'll spend ages trying to gather them properly. Ranged classes don't have this problem.

I don't have the level 100 skill yet (damn culti quest) but I doubt it'd be so practical in a big AOE group. Sparks on a Psy are almost always better spent on Psy will and Earth Vector. Even if we're talking about magic mobs in an AOE group, where Psy will has no use, I think I'd much rather triple spark and give all my hits extra damage.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    For the vid, she s lvl 101 >.> probably hax gear too and even if not i m pretty sure you can get a vid of every class doing some nice aoe. And seriously at this lvl you don t grind on mobs anyway, you either pvp / help ppl or make another char...
    You assume too much without knowing enough. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=581771 has more info on what I showed. No need for "hax" gears and can be done once you have access to the map. Plus it's an alternative to spending hypes in frost if you don't like FCC for whatever reason or are unable to go there for whatever reason.

You're right in that you can get basically every class to do some rather decent AoEing. However you also missed the point of that video: showing you that your immediate disregard for archers in a prior post shouldn't have even existed.
    And so everyone know white voodoo = -99 atk lvl = you just stand there and tank the hit
    Unless you're one of those people that planned to AoE grind from the start and thus, didn't max your white til later on. There's also psy will for phys mobs as already mentioned and you ~could~ use apoths if you really wanted to. Even so, considering psychics are treated as a zhen class in rebirth, that should tell you something about their AoE potential.

One thing I should say though is that I agree with a post earlier on. There's far more tot his game than just how well you can AoE and I don't believe you should choose your class based solely on that one capability.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    in the other pw version i've played, when pwi didnt exist, the first class that was like lvl 100 was an axe bm. there was no other way of getting xp except grinding (aoe mostly) and axe bm's were the best at that
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why AOE anyway..
    Nowadays you level through hyper fcc and BH. At end game the only AOE you do is in 3rd map (pretty everyone but veno can do well there) and rebirth delta (who cares).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Aisubeki - Sanctuary
    Aisubeki - Sanctuary Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I've never been a BM, so forgive me if I'm way off here, but does an AOE BM really have better defense than an AOE Barb?

When my gf and I are out AOE grinding, I go around and pull everything in sight, whack them with Sunder/Surf Impact, and repeat. I know I'm not doing as much damage as an AOE BM, but I'd be surprised to hear the BM is a better defensive AOE class.
    aura + marrow = more def than barb. who aoe's on a barb anyways? aoe barb i lold when i read that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    remember our fallen heroes
  • Montcalm - Archosaur
    Montcalm - Archosaur Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You have to keep in mind that a barb has an easy way of getting chi while aoe grinding. all he has to do is put on bestial rage and every time those mobs hit him he gets more chi. plus a mix of stun to give him some time to cool down by knocking mobs back and armageddon to finish them off aoe grinding cant be that hard.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    aura + marrow = more def than barb. who aoe's on a barb anyways? aoe barb i lold when i read that
    I know BMs can have more actual defense, but a Barb has high defense + high HP, which means luring tons of mobs without any trouble. What I was wondering is if an AOE BM generally lures as many mobs as comfortably or not.

As for an AOE Barb, eh..., I'm a Barb, I have AOE skills, so I might as well use them, no? I don't know how effective I am compared to other classes, but I generally find the biggest limitations are the mob re-spawn times and the time spent luring. Actually killing them with AOE attacks doesn't take long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sandball Clash and Stone Smasher I have no idea. > >

*powerlevels to 100 to see what they look like*
    Stone Smasher looks like fast meteors falling from the sky, around 4 or so. Should be called Meteor Storm IMO.

I don't know about Sandball Clash, I should ask Luci to use it sometimes lol.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Why AOE anyway..
    Nowadays you level through hyper fcc and BH. At end game the only AOE you do is in 3rd map (pretty everyone but veno can do well there) and rebirth delta (who cares).

It isn't to gain lvls it is to make up coin as we all need it farming.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Futurelord - Dreamweaver
    Futurelord - Dreamweaver Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    b:crySomeone tell me what a Demon cleric with all 3 Demon aoes can do, me too curious!!
    b:scorn...We are one, We are many, We are watching you...b:scorn
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

3rd map aoe. I lure the whole area, bestial rage, triple spark, demon sunder, demon surf impact and everything is pretty much dead. On top of that, I gain at least 2-3 sparks after everything's dead and I don't use anything other than MP potion.

But I think best AoE class should be BM since their AoEs have longer range and shorter cool down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • JiEunxD - Archosaur
    JiEunxD - Archosaur Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Lol, I was just like you when I first started the game, but people told me that wizards were the best AOE class, so that's why I made it, but found it was all a lie right now. Now, I just play it because I've achieved this far and plan to go on further on this toon (When I don't have too much homework, which is almost never).

Now, I believe the best AOE class would be axe Blademasters, because they can just run in, AOE stun, AOE strike, AOE kill, then run back.
    List of my territory war videos:
    ht tp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=873472
  • Euphy - Dreamweaver
    Euphy - Dreamweaver Posts: 495 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Blademasters definitly have the most AoE attacks and solid defense. This makes them great for fighting lots of melee enemies.
    Barbarians lacks the offensive power to solo this way effectively. They're armor just gets pounded.
    Archers can't really AoE solo. They've got a close range knock back and a stand-still barrage...
    I generally don't see wizards doing it either, though end-game with high defense, devastating damage, and even a lame heal they should be quite good at it.
    I'm not sure where this idea of solo-AoEing psychics comes from but hey. I agree tha they have six cool AoEs but this doesn't translate to, "I can go AoE naoh". Either they beef up their defenses with White Voodoo and fall prey to the problems faced by barbarians... or they're just squishy. So... I'd like to see this I guess.
    Clerics I can speak from personal experience are amazing at AoEing anything ranged and magical. Yes, they're defenses don't compare to blade-masters or end-game wizards. Nor do they have as many AoEs. In fact, you'll be using two. One of which requires two sparks. However with the constant healing you're basically immortal as long as you don't **** up or run out of mana (a big **** up). Sure purge lets you tank anything that burns and poisons. But your magic resistances with robes are amazing, and I had no problem tanking 10 monsters five levels higher than me zapping me with lightening bolts.
    Venomancers can AoE quite well if their pet can use a reflect skill to argo multiple melee mobs. Then magic attacks from the caster destroy the mobs!
    Assassins don't AoE because there isn't a need to...

So if you're talking about solo AoE grinding... I'd really recommend either a cleric, venomancer (with a pricy pet), or blademaster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    venomancer? really... thats the class at the bottom list. you need to let your pet to get a good part of mobs hp or you steal agro from first aoe... from the amazing list of 2 usable aoe
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What we might need is a comparison of videos to decide, with the subject persons noteing things like the rewards over time verse the cost of repairs/pots and genie food. Sorry I didnt save the links but I just saw the standard youtube video of a cleric aoe grinding the malicious cadevils and then an awesome video of an assasin aoe grinding on pirates. Both were very effective.........
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    From personal experience; blademasters are the best AOErs. I've went AOE grinding with all the classes listed, and I have always preferred going with a blademaster. They have a lot of AOE skills and high defenses.

Clerics are only good at AOE when its magical or ranged mobs. I do have fun doing AOE with melee mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Toxic - Dreamweaver
    Toxic - Dreamweaver Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Blademasters definitly have the most AoE attacks and solid defense. This makes them great for fighting lots of melee enemies.
    Barbarians lacks the offensive power to solo this way effectively. They're armor just gets pounded.
    Archers can't really AoE solo. They've got a close range knock back and a stand-still barrage...
    I generally don't see wizards doing it either, though end-game with high defense, devastating damage, and even a lame heal they should be quite good at it.
    I'm not sure where this idea of solo-AoEing psychics comes from but hey. I agree tha they have six cool AoEs but this doesn't translate to, "I can go AoE naoh". Either they beef up their defenses with White Voodoo and fall prey to the problems faced by barbarians... or they're just squishy. So... I'd like to see this I guess.
    Clerics I can speak from personal experience are amazing at AoEing anything ranged and magical. Yes, they're defenses don't compare to blade-masters or end-game wizards. Nor do they have as many AoEs. In fact, you'll be using two. One of which requires two sparks. However with the constant healing you're basically immortal as long as you don't **** up or run out of mana (a big **** up). Sure purge lets you tank anything that burns and poisons. But your magic resistances with robes are amazing, and I had no problem tanking 10 monsters five levels higher than me zapping me with lightening bolts.
    Venomancers can AoE quite well if their pet can use a reflect skill to argo multiple melee mobs. Then magic attacks from the caster destroy the mobs!
    Assassins don't AoE because there isn't a need to...

So if you're talking about solo AoE grinding... I'd really recommend either a cleric, venomancer (with a pricy pet), or blademaster.

Yeah aoe grinding on a veno is extremely slow, don't choose veno.
    <3 Tapout <3
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    LOKl_ - Harshlands Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    List of bm aoe's

All weapons

Roar of the Pride (stun only)

Drake Sweep

Fan of Flames (short range to enemies in 180 degree area in front of you)

Sword

Myriad sword stance (deals dmg and lowers physical and magical attack)

Fist

Drakes Breath bash (damage to enemies in front of you and deals fire dmg)

Cyclone Heal

Bolt of Tyreseus (literal wording... Deals Awsome dmg to all enemies in range and lowers there movements speed and attack rate. Freezes target and caster)

Pole Blade

Glacial Spike (deals dmg and also lowers physical and magical defense)

Piercing Winds (deals physical dmg and causes all opponents in a straight line to bleed)

Meteor Rush (straight line dmg and knocksback opponent)

Axes

Highland Cleave

Mount Fissure (has a small percentage to slow opponents)

Heavens Flame (12 meter target range and for a short time after all dmg dealt is dbled)

Demon/Sage

Flash (dmg increasese depending on how great the caster is wounded so guessing but low hp=big owie for other person)

Thnx for the corrections people sry I missed a few

Ok now if there is anymore let me know I will add them lol
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options

Fist

isn't Cyclone Heel AoE too?
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    List of bm aoe's

All weapons

Roar of the Pride (stun only)

Drake Sweep

Fan of Flames (short range to enemies in 180 degree area in front of you)

Piercing Winds (deals physical dmg and causes all opponents in a straight line to bleed)

Sword

Myriad sword stance (deals dmg and lowers physical and magical attack)

Fist

Pole Blade

Glacial Spike (deals dmg and also lowers physical and magical defense)

Axes

Highland Cleave

Mount Fissure (has a small percentage to slow opponents)

Heavens Flame (12 meter target range and for a short time after all dmg dealt is dbled)

Piercing Winds is Poleblade only, and you left out Meteor Rush (frontal AOE knockback for poleblade.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    isn't Cyclone Heel AoE too?

b:beatup sry I missed one b:surrender
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Piercing Winds is Poleblade only, and you left out Meteor Rush (frontal AOE knockback for poleblade.)

Should be fixed now sry about that lol b:thanks
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    b:beatup sry I missed one b:surrender

lol today is not my day -.-

After i activated my brain i noticed Bolt is also not in your list, might want to add it =).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    lol today is not my day -.-

After i activated my brain i noticed Bolt is also not in your list, might want to add it =).

Uhh you mean flash??? the 100 demon/sage skill??? Cause I was just about to put that one in... God we have to many aoe's.... I can't even find them allb:cryb:surrender
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Uhh you mean flash??? the 100 demon/sage skill??? Cause I was just about to put that one in... God we have to many aoe's.... I can't even find them allb:cryb:surrender

True, my words, even BMs themselves can't keep track of them all, lol. I was actually talking about Bolt of Tyreseus =):
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    True, my words, even BMs themselves can't keep track of them all, lol. I was actually talking about Bolt of Tyreseus =):

got it now

And that is 14 aoe's... Unless someone finds another one I am missing...

Yea I think bm wins on the aoe class lol
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can't spam the 2 spark aoes though.
  • LOKl_ - Harshlands
    edited October 2010
    Options
    You can't spam the 2 spark aoes though.

True but once we get demon/sage spark there are ways. Like filling it all up dble spark hit sutra or target once then dble spark aoe. I already do that on heavens flame with single spark and watch big numbers pop up using calamity axesb:pleased

And only 4 of those aoe's use dble spark.

After that I think the only one that uses chi is Roar of the pride (I know I got to be wrong on that one cause I only use axes so far)
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Piercing Winds uses 1 spark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga