Questions on Venomancer/Pets

eientsuki
eientsuki Posts: 2 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
I have a few questions that are still in my mind and i couldn't find the answer anywhere in the threads. If someone can answer them that would be great ^^ thank you so much for helping me out.

1. How do i teach my pet a new skill? Assuming my pet started off with Bash lv1, and i want to update it to #2, 3, and etc? Also, how do i teach my pet a new skill altogether? Like i want to teach my lv14 sawfly Ripping Bite, how do i do that??

Sorry i'm really confused about the pet aspect of this game:

2. This follows the question from above, assuming my pet learns attack naturally??? Um... what would the skill trees of the following pet look like? Varicose Scorpian, Petite Sawfly, Crystalline Magmite.

3. Whats the best overall flying pet? I'm hearing Sawfly for pking but is it like good for just normal creature killing as well or should i get a different flying pet for that? I think alot of people are buying foxwings as their flying pet so just wondering whats so good about a foxwing?

4. Whats the best water pet to have handy? On another thread they said one of the rare/useful pets is frog so... is this frog also a water pet?

5. What kind of pets should i keep if i have a mage build? I have 3 free pet space right now and currently have varicose scorpian, petite sawfly, and keeping room for a golem. Should i make any changes or should i just keep this set?

Ty once again for your help, and also for taking the effort/time to read read through my long list of questions lol. As i am new to this game i'm prob asking alot of really dumb/obvious questions, but please just answer them for me because i really want to try and make the best veno i can ^^
Post edited by eientsuki on

Comments

• Relias - Sanctuary
    Relias - Sanctuary Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    First off let me say I'm not very sure of any of the answers I will give, but I ahve read a fair amount of veno threads so here is what I remember.

1) I believe I read that your pets can only learn new skills/upgrade skills every 20 lvls

2) I dunno

3) I heard the same as you that most people go for the petite sawfly for awhile, then like in their 50s or 60s catch a foxwing because it has like better attack and def or something like that.

4) I think frog may be land only but I'm not sure, people actually use it for mag def purposes. I would say though if you ahve the patience catch a low lvl turtle and just lvl it every time you lvl and keep ti around for the rare times you go swimming, as some people have said the whirler turtle gets crazy def rivaling or surpassing the golem.

5) Well for my caster veno I like having something with great attack, something with great defense, and something that is good all around or in different environments. If you expand your current pet inventory one more time then you can keep your scorpion and sawfly, then add golem, and a turtle or other water pet.
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'll add on to Relias:

1. You can teach your pet Flesh Ream(Ripping Bite is from PW-MY, same skill) by visiting Mrs. Zoologist in south Archosaur. She also sells books to upgrade their skills, as Relias said, every 20 levels.

2. They have no set skill trees, some skills will be available by default, otherwise you can teach them whatever you'd like.

3. Petite Sawfly would have the highest attack, but it'd have lower HP in comparison to the Foxies. The sawfly's work well for PVP/PVE in the long run, so you wouldn't need to change it, unless you'd feel more comfortable using a foxie. The fox would have lower attack than the fly though.

4. There aren't many water quests, but if you'd like a turtle and have the patience to train it, go ahead. Otherwise you can grab any water pet at the location. (Except level 7x, there aren't really any 7x water pets that I know of.)
  • hellbreaker
    hellbreaker Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    hi. at wat lv can i catch a golem as a pet? and where to catch 1?
  • Woolaitsing - Sanctuary
    Woolaitsing - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    hi. at wat lv can i catch a golem as a pet? and where to catch 1?

1] Crystal Magmite Golems can be tamed at level 17 - found just north of Timberfield.
    2] Volcanic Magmite Golems can be tamed at level 18 - found outside and inside human fb19 instance to the NW of Timberfield
  • Tawonda - Heavens Tear
    Tawonda - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    1. How do i teach my pet a new skill? Assuming my pet started off with Bash lv1, and i want to update it to #2, 3, and etc? Also, how do i teach my pet a new skill altogether? Like i want to teach my lv14 sawfly Ripping Bite, how do i do that??

Sorry i'm really confused about the pet aspect of this game:

Go to the Ms. Zoologist in Arch. When you find her then you can pick up one of three different books/scrolls. One looks like a book and it's called a Tame book or something like that. What this book does is allows you to upgrade a skill your pet already knows at that point. There is a forget scroll that will cause your pet to forget a known skill and a scroll that what will teach your pet a new skill. The scrolls that teaches your pet the new skill are more numerous than the other two previously mentioned and they will have names like Teach Bash or something along those lines. I'm not in game now or I could tell you exactly what they say.

In your case for your sawfly, purchase a forget scroll and use it to remove your sawflys current skill and then purchase a Flesh Rend scroll to teach it the new skill.

2. This follows the question from above, assuming my pet learns attack naturally??? Um... what would the skill trees of the following pet look like? Varicose Scorpian, Petite Sawfly, Crystalline Magmite.

As far as I know you can teach any pet any skill with the purchase of the correct books/scrolls. Keep in mind that there are rare books that can only be gotten from the Dragon temple events. Not really sure what these are though.

3. Whats the best overall flying pet? I'm hearing Sawfly for pking but is it like good for just normal creature killing as well or should i get a different flying pet for that? I think alot of people are buying foxwings as their flying pet so just wondering whats so good about a foxwing?

I'm currently 73 and my poor sawfly is still 55. I really need to level him up some more but it's getting to be a chore to do so while keeping my other pets leveled up. Many people will say the sawfly is the way to go for PvP but if your not into PvP and not into min/maxing then pick up what you like. I would tame anything that you can normally tame and them look at it's skills and check out it's attribute circle to see where it's strengths and weaknesses are. Compare it to others you tamed then select what you like best. I personally do not care for my sawfly and do not like the flying foxes either. I recently picked up an Elyseium Fowl (sp) and it looks pretty good but I have not used it as yet. At level 78 you can pick up the White Phesent which is an elite version of the Elyseium Fowl.

4. Whats the best water pet to have handy? On another thread they said one of the rare/useful pets is frog so... is this frog also a water pet?

Just tame any water pet near or at your level and replace it from time to time. It's really not needed to train up a low level water pet to max level since your underwater quests are few and far between.

The Frog is a land pet and has good magic defense.

At level 80 you may want to pick up something called a Celestial Plumpfish. I'm not exactly sure of it's name but it's something like that. Check the PW pet sites and do a search for it. I think there is also an Elite version of this pet as well available at a higher level. This will be my last water pet once I hit 80.

5. What kind of pets should i keep if i have a mage build? I have 3 free pet space right now and currently have varicose scorpian, petite sawfly, and keeping room for a golem. Should i make any changes or should i just keep this set?

Pick up a Magmite you will love him and use him until end game. You may replace him eventually with the Legendary Herculese pet but he will be expensive. You will need an air pet of some sort so the sawfly is not a bad choice. However, I personally do not care to grind in the sky so my sawfly has suffered in levels. The flying foxes and Fowls are another alternative. The Legendary flying pet is the Phoenix which will also cost a bundle if you decide to pick that one up. Many Venos that will go to End Game will pick up these two Legendary pets and they are on my radar as well. Also you will need a slot for your water pet. Here just grab anything at or near your level and you will be fine.

I try to have my entire pet inventory slots available to me since one is used by my mount and the others used by my pets. The remaining pet slots I used for testing out pets I tame just to see how they stack up to my other pets and see what sort of skills each comes with.

I hope this has been a help to you.
  • blknite
    blknite Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    hello im having problems learning the skill to tame pets can anyone help me i have a lvl 11 veno first time with veno
  • Tawonda - Heavens Tear
    Tawonda - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    If you should have the skill and can't find it on the Pet Trainer then you may be looking in the wrong area in her menu. Finding the pet skills confuses many new Venos. Look under the "Tame Pet" option and the skills should be there. Still have a problem? Give me a tell in game and I'll try to help.
  • Undeadlady - Lost City
    Undeadlady - Lost City Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Can I tame a pet if the tameing sign is white, I saw a monster with it but it had 80K HP and it was strong so i though I couldnt but I just want to know
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If it's white, it's a boss, and untameable. If you look close, you'll see the symbol is different than the tameable pet symbol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    You will want to get Legendary Pet sometime if Veno is your main char.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Holy 2 year necro...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active