Dear GMs: Rubberbanding

Typhyse - Sanctuary
Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
Rubberbanding was implemented so that people cannot exploit glitches in dungeons, yes?
Then why was its power increased in open world as well? This is getting ridiculous! On my sin, I can can land on a veno pet and rubberband on it. Heck I landed on a cleric's sword
and rubberbanded on it!!! Are you TRYING to chase away every last player who actually LIKES this game?

Sin aside, on my other characers; I'm tired of being attacked my a mob I can't handle, flying to escape, then once I'm at a safe distance, rubberbanding back to the mob and getting my rear haded to me.

There is no point in open world rubberbanding except to kill any small hopes I have in me that you care hold some level of care for your player base.

Yes I'm aware that you are just going to tell me to submit a ticket and close (maybe even move) this thread, but I'm sure everyone and their mother has already done that. Something more large scale needs to occur to make you listen up.

No guys, I don't mean turn this into another "GMs you **** QQ **** my **** and ban me"
threads. I mean more of a petition. If you are tired of rubberbanding, please maturely back me up here.
Maybe (I said maybe) if we approach this like adults, we can get something accomplished.
Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
~Spazz~
Post edited by Typhyse - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Cun - Lost City
    Cun - Lost City Posts: 685 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I don't see what the whole deal with rubber banding is.
    I for one, do not have this problem.
    The only time it happens is when I jump on top of npcs, and that is intentionally. b:shutup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To be or not to be.
    Current Goals: none.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    I don't see what the whole deal with rubber banding is.
    I for one, do not have this problem.
    The only time it happens is when I jump on top of npcs, and that is intentionally. b:shutup
    Then you, sir, are one lucky duck.
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Tinaaaaaa - Lost City
    Tinaaaaaa - Lost City Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    It is quite annoying, as I rubberband almost everytime I drop down from flying or drop off of something on a mount. This will never be fixed.

Wasn't so bad a little while ago till one of the updates and it came back EVEN WORSE b:cry
  • MsEvilness - Heavens Tear
    MsEvilness - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    3 words: they don't care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Originally posted by LShattered - HeavensTear
    Ohhh...I am dumb b:shutup
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    3 words: they don't care.

3 words: let's make them.
    ~Spazz~
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Please fix this, it's very annoying to rubber-band on a mount because:

1. You have to wait till you stop rubber-banding then;
    2. You have to dismount then;
    3. Fly down to the ground then;
    4. Get back on mount and hopefully you won't;
    5. Rinse and repeat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Wait what?

I seriously doubt they deliberately put any measure of rubberbanding in the game. And if they did, it would only be in localized areas around the point where one would be able to glitch in dungeons, etc.

Rubberbanding occurs when the client (your machine) and the server can't quite agree on where you are on the map. Stop moving your mouse or keys and wait until you stop. Then dismount (if you're on a mount), fly, and you should be fine. If you can't fly, use Town Portal, or try relogging.

One time my sin got stuck in a piece of scenery (a cabin near Arrowhead Manor). My first instinct was to try to jump in order to unstick myself. This proved useless and actually a stupid move as it disabled all my skills, including Shadow Jump (which I might've otherwise used to warp to a mob walking close to the cabin, or to my AC windwalking piggy) and even Town Portal. I tried relogging, to no avail. Eventually I had to buy a teleport incense with some spare silver I had in the CS. Not a pretty solution, but it works.

My point is... there's always a way out. <_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Stop moving your mouse or keys and wait until you stop.

Hehe... once out of curiosity, when I got stuck rubberbanding after I fell off the Head Hunter's platform, I went and made a sandwich for lunch. Came back 15 min or so later and was still rubberbanding.

It is annoying though, I have had it hit when I was flying away from a mob so I hear you there. Potting and genie heal while I have to drop back onto the mob that is killing me so that I can re-fly to stop the stupid glitch. And it is worse for chars under level 30 that can't stop it by hopping into fly mode... they have to relog if they caught in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Kehrendorh - Archosaur
    Kehrendorh - Archosaur Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Wait what?

I seriously doubt they deliberately put any measure of rubberbanding in the game. And if they did, it would only be in localized areas around the point where one would be able to glitch in dungeons, etc.

Rubberbanding occurs when the client (your machine) and the server can't quite agree on where you are on the map. Stop moving your mouse or keys and wait until you stop. Then dismount (if you're on a mount), fly, and you should be fine. If you can't fly, use Town Portal, or try relogging.

One time my sin got stuck in a piece of scenery (a cabin near Arrowhead Manor). My first instinct was to try to jump in order to unstick myself. This proved useless and actually a stupid move as it disabled all my skills, including Shadow Jump (which I might've otherwise used to warp to a mob walking close to the cabin, or to my AC windwalking piggy) and even Town Portal. I tried relogging, to no avail. Eventually I had to buy a teleport incense with some spare silver I had in the CS. Not a pretty solution, but it works.

We shouldnt have to 'figure it out'. Rubberbanding is a major issue that can be easily fixed on the Company's side. The fact that its stayed around for this long, and increasingly got worse, shows us that the Company just doesnt care about making this game enjoyable for people to play.

We cant do anything about technical things with the game. Thats what the Company gets paid for: fix the bugs, release new content, manage the game.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited October 2010

The point is... there shouldn't be an issue though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katzyn - Sanctuary
    Katzyn - Sanctuary Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I've had a few issues with it myself, but normally, I don't mind it too much.

However, zhenning (aoe grinding - whatever people want to call it) on my cleric can be a bit dangerous (more than usual) if I do what I was taught, and gather up the mobs while flying. Dropping to the ground with 15+ poison mobs following, then rubberbanding and not being able to heal and purify is quite scary, hah. I've had to start just running on foot and gathering, but that takes a while...
    Katzyn, level 101 Demon Veno
    Kylenea, level 99 Demon Cleric
    ForestSonata, level 6x Mystic
    Proud wifeh of Yudai <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Courtesy of the amazing Forsakenx~
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2010
    We shouldnt have to 'figure it out'. Rubberbanding is a major issue that can be easily fixed on the Company's side. The fact that its stayed around for this long, and increasingly got worse, shows us that the Company just doesnt care about making this game enjoyable for people to play.
    You sound like you're confusing PWE with PW Beijing, but either way...

Since you seem to know so much about fixing the game... why don't you tell the forum, in all appropriate detail, the exact problems with the code and how you would personally fix them? I expect minute detail, ideally a wall-o-text encased in code tags, including proper commenting showing exactly which lines of code are problematic and exactly which ones you substituted for them. I eagerly await your solution, good sir. :P

Disclaimer for the humor-impaired: That was a joke. -_-

In all seriousness, unless you really do have some claim to PW Beijing's code, I would ask you to stop jumping to conclusions. I know it's the "in" thing to do right now, to just say "oh PW* doesn't care" in response to every problem. But that doesn't exactly help the OP, does it?

Would you like to take a stab at the problems with corporate culture in PW Beijing? Do you plan to go over there and petition them to fix things? Awesome. I'll be rooting for you, and I mean that in all sincerity. But in the meantime, I'll just stay here and help people work around the bugs instead of just QQing about them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    You sound like you're confusing PWE with PW Beijing, but either way...

Since you seem to know so much about fixing the game... why don't you tell the forum, in all appropriate detail, the exact problems with the code and how you would personally fix them? I expect minute detail, ideally a wall-o-text encased in code tags, including proper commenting showing exactly which lines of code are problematic and exactly which ones you substituted for them. I eagerly await your solution, good sir. :P

Disclaimer for the humor-impaired: That was a joke. -_-

In all seriousness, unless you really do have some claim to PW Beijing's code, I would ask you to stop jumping to conclusions. I know it's the "in" thing to do right now, to just say "oh PW* doesn't care" in response to every problem. But that doesn't exactly help the OP, does it?

Would you like to take a stab at the problems with corporate culture in PW Beijing? Do you plan to go over there and petition them to fix things? Awesome. I'll be rooting for you, and I mean that in all sincerity. But in the meantime, I'll just stay here and help people work around the bugs instead of just QQing about them.

How long are you playing PWI? You should know already, that nothing will be fixed if it doesn't bring profit. This game become so greedy. I can assure you, nothing will be fixed regardless what you will do. Another bugs are in game for years not been fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KuiXing - Harshlands
    KuiXing - Harshlands Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    i kno what you mean, i rubberbanded sideways after standing up after meditating. and i have to stop half way down when i drop from flying and start dropping again so i dont rubberband. its getting to be ridiculous with the rubberbanding. they need to fix it and not just in the Tborn areas. they need to fix it where most of the people are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the best mom ever, she brought me drugs and fruit juice - Reavღ
    Challenge accepted I'm going to go blow up the sun - FanFon
    Those crabs are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going and going... - Wildsblade
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I'm serious I have tried to get it through the PWI supernauts thick chuckleheads that this is an extreme problem and causes me headaches and nausea when it happens.

PWI Supernauts Be Trippin . . .

b:bored
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2010
    How long are you playing PWI? You should know already, that nothing will be fixed if it doesn't bring profit. This game become so greedy. I can assure you, nothing will be fixed regardless what you will do. Another bugs are in game for years not been fixed.
    ...was it really so hard to grasp that I was NOT advocating that particular path? -_-

Fine, I'll simplify it, just for you:
    • Yes, there are problems.
    • Yes, game problems are potentially fixable, but not without a lot of serious upheaval and direct communication with PW Beijing.
    • Yes, there are clearly problems with organization, effort, and/or general corporate culture both here at PWE and in PW Beijing.
    • But no, there is no one at either company rubbing their hands together and cackling in fiendish glee while mashing the "release new pack" button and pointedly ignoring any and all bugs. -_-
    • If someone wants to fly over to Beijing and make a point, I would support them in spirit, but I'm just going to stay here and help people find workarounds instead.

Is that clear enough? :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Nyxya - Harshlands
    Nyxya - Harshlands Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ...was it really so hard to grasp that I was NOT advocating that particular path? -_-

Fine, I'll simplify it, just for you:
    • Yes, there are problems.
    • Yes, game problems are potentially fixable, but not without a lot of serious upheaval and direct communication with PW Beijing.
    • Yes, there are clearly problems with organization, effort, and/or general corporate culture both here at PWE and in PW Beijing.
    • But no, there is no one at either company rubbing their hands together and cackling in fiendish glee while mashing the "release new pack" button and pointedly ignoring any and all bugs. -_-
    • If someone wants to fly over to Beijing and make a point, I would support them in spirit, but I'm just going to stay here and help people find workarounds instead.

Is that clear enough? :-/

dude you have a serious brain problem... stop try minimize such a terrible bug because you don't have it...

-i drop from fly i RB-i drop to 10m starts RB-i fly again and slowly fly to ground?!?!?!?!?
    -simple jump also gets me RB sometimes
    -TW - i must be crazy try change lane- I RB forever and get killed (slap your self if you gonna suggest play tw on 1 side pls)
    -pk if any small minor hill is outta of question... RBRBRB
    -if u drop on any not even terrain from jump or fly=RB
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2010
    And yet all of it can be worked around without problem, except perhaps in the TW you mentioned.

It's annoying, don't get me wrong. And don't try to tell me I don't rubberband as much as the rest of you. Of course I do. But the OP was asking a question and was clearly misinformed as to the source of rubberbanding (as he believed it was deliberately put in by the devs). And the response? "PW doesn't care lolol"

I dunno, maybe it's just suddenly "uncool" to not high-five everybody who just says "game is dead" or "PW doesn't care" without qualification. I guess I missed that memo.

And the insults aren't called for. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • UpTempo - Raging Tide
    UpTempo - Raging Tide Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Accidentally jumped on the blue platform things at last boss in 1-3, 10 minutes and still couldn't get off...
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, rubber-banding is a complete pain when it happens, I agree with you--

From what I understand, it's actually a side effect of certain anti-**** programming that was done for the game (specifically, a speed ****).

The good news, though, is that the devs have been working to minimize it, as shown in the patch notes three weeks ago

Hopefully they'll continue improving it over time, making rubber-banding a far less frequent occurrence.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, rubber-banding is a complete pain when it happens, I agree with you--

From what I understand, it's actually a side effect of certain anti-**** programming that was done for the game (specifically, a speed ****).

The good news, though, is that the devs have been working to minimize it, as shown in the patch notes three weeks ago

Hopefully they'll continue improving it over time, making rubber-banding a far less frequent occurrence.

Rubber banding is as bad now as it ever was.

It does seem to be effected by problematic geometry but trying to change geometry is treating the symptom of the problem and not the cause.

The anti-**** functionality is flawed since it impairs normal gameplay. Tell the devs to fix that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I got stuck in an hour long rubberbanding fest. I relogged 6 times and was still stuck in the rubberband.

There's a specific spot where you can get stuck in the air, swimming. That will get you stuck for at least 2 hours if you don't have a flying mount.

Perpetual falling is a massive pain, especially when on land mounts.

Anti-**** or not, it's killing the game for some people, especially low level players who don't have flying mounts. Having to fly, then unfly, then fly, then unfly, then fly, then unfly over and over again just to get out of a rubberband is just absurd.

IMO, if anti-**** measure break the game, it has failed. Breaking the game to stop an exploit... I don't know. I rubberband 20-40 times a day, though, it is getting lesser, and getting out of it is getting easier.

Dieing and losing exp really sucks though... I guess hackers won in this case. =\

The lag needs to stop next... 120ms running around, then fight a boss, and it jumps to 1000+... Hmmm...
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Tygurr - Sanctuary
    Tygurr - Sanctuary Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Somewhat retired from PWI, now playing Hellgate Global full time
  • SovereignVis - Sanctuary
    SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    That happens to me all the time when I drop to the ground when doing world quest or if riding my mount and I jump over something. I hate that! b:infuriated I didn't know they had a name for that until I saw this thread.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I remember once in OHT I fell into the lake before my fly came out. I then spent a good couple of minutes rubberbanding and getting my charm screwed while trying to get out. This used to be a non-issue since the game would automatically push you to the surface if your flier activates underwater. Now, though... well.... don't lag while jumping into water, folks! b:laugh
  • sethh
    sethh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010

The good news, though, is that the devs have been working to minimize it

I can see one more time GM's even play the game xDDDDDDDDb:bye
    b:pleasedI'm ignorant :)
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Rubberbanding was implemented so that people cannot exploit glitches in dungeons, yes?

Wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluwE4W0L4M
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    /facedesk

Look at the date of that video.
  • TempleSlave - Lost City
    TempleSlave - Lost City Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    /facedesk

Look at the date of that video.

Rubberbanding was introduced with the Age of Spirits Expansion.

Tell me when that expansion was released?
    I love puppies.... and sharp objects. b:pleased
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    That was the weaker version, people are complaining about the one introduced with the patch a few months ago (you know, the big one with the TW changes). Because it's this one that makes you rubberband on top of NPCs or for 15 minutes on end when dropping from flying mount etc.