Map glitch, any ideas?

Cortimis - Dreamweaver
Cortimis - Dreamweaver Posts: 95 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
Hi everyone, I play at 1920x1080 resolution in fullscreen with all options at max, but it seems I am stuck with a map glitch.
20101008092552.png

The top and bottom of my map is cut off on the basic view. Also, when I go to a teleporter, the map is cut-off even more so, to the point where I cannot teleport any to place past the Island of Broken Dreams to the south or anywhere past Etherblade in the north. Is there a way to fix this?
Cortimis - 101 Demon Barbarian. 100% legit, no goonzs/no APS

Cortimi - 9X Demon Seeker. Total garbage and I will kill you with it anyways.
Post edited by Cortimis - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Not a glitch.
    The game itself isn't made for that resolution. It's designed for smaller (and higher) screens.
    If you play in window mode you won't have the problem
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Cortimis - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    So if I refuse to play in windowed mode, I just have to deal with it? Thanks for your answer :)

• Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    So if I refuse to play in windowed mode, I just have to deal with it? Thanks for your answer :)

I think you can change your resolution to fit the map, but I'm not sure.

All I know is my map is perfect at 1280x1024, so maybe you can try that?
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Asheera - Raging Tide
    Asheera - Raging Tide Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Cuz your resolution is wide screen and the map wasn't designed for that.
    First 103 on Raging Tide 30 Oct 2010
    Quit.
  • Cortimis - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Well, I was hoping since 1080 height was bigger than 1024 (native res) I would get the whole thing, but oh well. Just extra flight time I guess :P

• paralleogram
    paralleogram Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Not a glitch.
    The game itself isn't made for that resolution. It's designed for smaller (and higher) screens.

Actually.. I play in windowed mode.. have a widescreen and still have this problem.

They know about this problem but dont care to try to fix it.
    Here we go again....
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Well I play in windowed mode and I can see the entire map and all the teleports with 1280x1024 resolution. My comp's display is set on 1680x1050 but the game won't allow a window the size of my display so it makes me choose the 1280x1024 for the game.

pwimapinwindowedmode128.jpg

The torturous workaround to see all the teleports is to take my cursor and stretch the upper bar as high as it will go and then drag the blue top bar out of the display then go down to the bottom margin of the window and stretch it to the max it will go to the lowest part of my screen. It works fine if I set my taskbar properties for "auto-hide" mode.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I get the same thing on my laptop which has a widescreen display, I have to change to full screen everytime i wanna tele to raging tide lol
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Not a glitch.
    Not true.

I play in windowed mode, and the map is the same for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    it's not a windowed-versus-fullscreen issue, it's a widescreen-versus-standard one. what triggers it is using a 16:9 (widescreen) aspect ratio --- drop back down to 4:3 and it goes away.

yes, i know there's a "widescreen" checkbox in the UI settings. AFAIK it doesn't fix this.

yes, being unable to run correctly in widescreen on a modern computer is fail deep-fried in fail grease served with failsauce on a bun of fail. welcome to Perfect World.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Lanyiara - Harshlands
    Lanyiara - Harshlands Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Its a 4:3 map. If your screen is wider than tall, it cuts off.

Windowed mode users can fix it by making their screen thinner briefly.

Kinda wierd they cant fix the map so it scales to height and not width but whatever. :/
  • Julietoo - Sanctuary
    Julietoo - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I reported this issue over a year ago with a support ticket. I got a reply that said it was a known issue.

The map was not designed to scale properly in a widescreen resolution if you use 4:3 you will be fine but 16:9 will give you this issue.
  • BarbEQ - Dreamweaver
    BarbEQ - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    you have to remember hd/widescreen screens have only become hugely popular in the last couple of years, and the free to play version of this game opened 2 years ago here. The release date of the original pay to play version was 2005 I think - back then widescreens were still pretty expensive.

In the intervening years there has not been major development on the main game engine, the biggest change I remember was introduction of the higher mesh models for tideborn classes, and the tideborn area in general. They did not at that time remesh the existing classes, although that would have been a very nice thing to do for the long term players.

While it would seem that the fix for the screen size is a simple one, given the age of the game engine it might mean a major rewrite to fix it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    you have to remember hd/widescreen screens have only become hugely popular in the last couple of years, and the free to play version of this game opened 2 years ago here. The release date of the original pay to play version was 2005 I think - back then widescreens were still pretty expensive.

In the intervening years there has not been major development on the main game engine, the biggest change I remember was introduction of the higher mesh models for tideborn classes, and the tideborn area in general. They did not at that time remesh the existing classes, although that would have been a very nice thing to do for the long term players.

While it would seem that the fix for the screen size is a simple one, given the age of the game engine it might mean a major rewrite to fix it.

Nope the maps are all in surfaces.pck, so are the loading screens, there are 4:3 and 16:9 loading screens, but only 4:3 maps, it would be a very easy fix to add 16:9 the same way they did for the loading screens...
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Nope the maps are all in surfaces.pck, so are the loading screens, there are 4:3 and 16:9 loading screens, but only 4:3 maps, it would be a very easy fix to add 16:9 the same way they did for the loading screens...

Which makes me wonder why there isn't one yet... b:surrender

For now, I just destroy my second monitor by switching to a non widescreen resolution and leaving game full screen to teleport, then switching it back to 1920X1080 after teleport.

My second monitor hates me when I do this... Oh well. :p It'll survive.

This is the third most annoying thing in PWI. Second is the lag. First is the Rubberbanding.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • BarbEQ - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010

Ahh. Good Spot! Maybe someone should make a 16:9 version for them and submit it in a ticket ;)

I play on a laptop atm, but when I played on a 1080p screen, I used to play 4:3 ration windowed and just stretch the screen until it was tall enough to see most of the map - could just fit in Timberfield in the north, and the bottom tideborn island teleport at the south - so it was about 1600 x 1040 pixels for the game window
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paralleogram
    edited October 2010
    It's a damn shame that the GMs/Devs don't listen and fix the small things like this that would make us players happy.
    Here we go again....
  • Linc - Raging Tide
    Linc - Raging Tide Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Not true.

I play in windowed mode, and the map is the same for me.

As I said earlier, I also use windowed mode, but I found a workaround that works for me and I can see all the teleport points. So what he said might be true when using windowed mode and stretching the window top and bottom and "auto-hide" the taskbar.
    I did not feel the treachery or inconstancy of a friend, nor the injuries of a secret or open enemy. I had no occasion of bribing, flattering, or pimping, to procure the favour of any great man, or of his minion; I wanted no fence against fraud or oppression: here was neither physician to destroy my body, nor lawyer to ruin my fortune; no informer to watch my words and actions, or forge accusations against me for hire: here were no gibers, censurers, backbiters, pickpockets, highwaymen, housebreakers, attorneys, bawds, buffoons, gamesters, politicians, wits, splenetics, tedious talkers, controvertists, ravishers, murderers, robbers, virtuosos; no leaders, or followers, of party and faction; no encouragers to vice, by seducement or examples; no dungeon, axes, gibbets, whipping-posts, or pillories; no cheating shopkeepers or mechanics; no pride, vanity, or affectation; no fops, bullies, drunkards, strolling prostitutes, or poxes; no ranting, lewd, expensive wives; no stupid, proud pedants; no importunate, overbearing, quarrelsome, noisy, roaring, empty, conceited, swearing companions; no scoundrels raised from the dust upon the merit of their vices, or nobility thrown into it on account of their virtues; no lords, fiddlers, judges, or dancing-masters.
    From Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
  • paralleogram
    edited October 2010
    As I said earlier, I also use windowed mode, but I found a workaround that works for me and I can see all the teleport points. So what he said might be true when using windowed mode and stretching the window top and bottom and "auto-hide" the taskbar.

This only works sometimes. Sometimes it will reset or even if you stretch it isn't enough.
    It can be very temperamental. b:angry
    Here we go again....
  • Cortimis - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    If I switch to 128-x1024, everything is indeed perfect. Didn't realize just how much I was missing! I will definitely use that resize option to port around, that's a great idea, thanks for the tip. and thanks for all the replies :)

So is there anywhere posted for sure that they know this is a bug? I come from another F2P MMO, and let me tell you, this game is AMAZING in terms of how little bugs and glitches there are, how balanced everything is, and how much cheaper to play it is b:chuckle I would bet that if more of an issue is raised they would fix it.

• Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If I switch to 128-x1024, everything is indeed perfect. Didn't realize just how much I was missing! I will definitely use that resize option to port around, that's a great idea, thanks for the tip. and thanks for all the replies :)

So is there anywhere posted for sure that they know this is a bug? I come from another F2P MMO, and let me tell you, this game is AMAZING in terms of how little bugs and glitches there are, how balanced everything is, and how much cheaper to play it is b:chuckle I would bet that if more of an issue is raised they would fix it.

You must be new...
  • BarbEQ - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    ahhh D. don't you remember being young and optimistic?

let the poor lad dream for a while..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I come from another F2P MMO, and let me tell you, this game is AMAZING in terms of how little bugs and glitches there are, how balanced everything is, and how much cheaper to play it is

...tell me you're joking... b:shocked

or if not, at least tell me what this other game is so's i can make sure to avoid it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Yep guys, this issue was reported some time ago, but there is still no ETA on a fix, so we'll have to wait and see.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ...tell me you're joking... b:shocked

When you see a game ruined after one week of its open beta phase you know it's bad.

PWI is one of the best F2P MMOs. It's nothing compared to some really bad games out there.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I have this issue as well, have to resize my screen whenever I want to teleport to RT or Timberfield or Misfortune. I suggested *ages* ago that they implement a scroll or zoom in/out feature on the teleport map for those of us with this issue. I have long since given up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    The teleport map works fine at 1440x900 widescreen. I guess since it's 16:10 instead of 16:9 that gives just enough extra vertical resolution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com