upgrading pet skills

Manakel - Lost City
Manakel - Lost City Posts: 131 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
Just wondering how I do this... Please don't tell me I have to buy he skill books every time. D:
Post edited by Manakel - Lost City on

Comments

• Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    You have to buy a tame book or something like that. It's either 100k or 200k >.> been awhile. Then you go to Mrs Zoologist in Arch to upgrade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Manakel - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    You have to buy a tame book or something like that. It's either 100k or 200k >.> been awhile. Then you go to Mrs Zoologist in Arch to upgrade.

Damn this is gonna get expensive. So to get, say, pierce from lv1 to lv2 I have to buy a skill book? :( those bloody things are 300k each.
  • Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Nah, not the skill book of the skill you're upgrading. There's another book for sale which is, I believe, called a Tame book, and you need THAT to upgrade. It's not as expensive as the skill books. There are level requirements for skill upgrades first, so if the tame book is expensive for you then make sure you can use it first. Gah, I wish I was more helpful, but it's been so long since I've played I don't remember how to find out the requirements. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • Manakel - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Oh ok, I misunderstood you. I hope the books aren't that expensive. My veno is supposed to be for making money, not using it. :P
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    upgrading a skill isn't as expensive as getting a new skill, no. most skill books for getting a new skill are 300k; some are more expensive. a tame book, for upgrading one skill by one level, is "only" 200k.

yeah, it does add up, somewhat at least. i'm picking and choosing which skills on which pets to upgrade, mainly the attack skills on my most used pets. but you only get a chance to upgrade those skills once every 20 pet levels, so over time it's not that much. it's just a big hit every time you hit that twentieth level, is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Damn this is gonna get expensive. So to get, say, pierce from lv1 to lv2 I have to buy a skill book? :( those bloody things are 300k each.

Don't bother wasting your coin doing this save up for Leg. Pet.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Segreta - Sanctuary
    Segreta - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2010

lmao
    b:sweat

Tell him how to get 80m for a Legendary pet instead.

Buy those books its a worthy investment
    b:bye
    Iam Segreta,Queen of the Chicken Kingdom,proud owner of the legendary Blue Chicken,BEHOLD Mortals o,o^
    Current # Chickens:
    ^,^ <- My Cleric <3
    o,o <- My Veno
    n_n <- My Bm
    =,= <- My Barb *Used as Mount*
    >,o <- My Sin(Stealth all the time for no reason)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    All too often, people make the mistake of thinking that spending the least amount of money is the quickest way to save money. Most of the time, investing a little money will speed things up a lot more than the money you've invested will cost you. Hence the adage, "you have to spend money to make money."

Say you need to kill N mobs to get enough loot to buy a herc.
    Say gold is 440k. At 186.5 gold, a herc would cost 83.7 million.
    Say your pet's Bash is level 1.
    Say you have a 0.5 atk/sec pet.

Bash 1 does 140% your pet's patk.
    Bash 2 does 155% your pet's patk.
    In 9.5 sec the pet will Bash once and do 8 sec of regular attacks.
    The amount of damage your pet does every 9.5 sec is then: (Bash + 0.5*8)*patk

Upgrading from Bash 1 to 2 then will increase your pet's damage by:
    [(1.55+0.5*8)*patk] / [(1.4 + 0.5*8)*patk]
    = (1.55+4) / (1.4+4)
    = 1.02777777
    = 2.78% improvement
    Aggro scales according to damage so the veno or squad will also be able to do 2.78% more damage without stealing aggro.

So in the time it takes you to kill N mobs with a Bash 2 pet, you would be able to kill on average N/1.0278 = 0.973*N mobs with a Bash 1 pet. In that time:

The Bash 2 pet would make you 83.7 mil - 200k for the book = 83.5 mil.
    The Bash 1 pet would make you only 0.973*83.7 mil = 81.4 mil.

So upgrading your pet's Bash skill will actually achieve your goal of saving up for a legendary pet quicker than just leaving it at Bash 1. And this doesn't even take into account the extra damage the veno or the squad can do without stealing aggro from the pet because of the extra aggro generation of Bash 2. And this is actually the worst case since it's ignoring the fact that Bash is front-loaded damage. Best case, if you kill a mob in 11 sec, you get 2 Bashes vs 8 sec of regular pet damage, meaning pet damage goes as (2*Bash + 4) meaning the Bash 2 pet kills 4.41% quicker.
  • Segreta - Sanctuary
    Segreta - Sanctuary Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    All too often, people make the mistake of thinking that spending the least amount of money is the quickest way to save money. Most of the time, investing a little money will speed things up a lot more than the money you've invested will cost you. Hence the adage, "you have to spend money to make money."

Say you need to kill N mobs to get enough loot to buy a herc.
    Say gold is 440k. At 186.5 gold, a herc would cost 83.7 million.
    Say your pet's Bash is level 1.
    Say you have a 0.5 atk/sec pet.

Bash 1 does 140% your pet's patk.
    Bash 2 does 155% your pet's patk.
    In 9.5 sec the pet will Bash once and do 8 sec of regular attacks.
    The amount of damage your pet does every 9.5 sec is then: (Bash + 0.5*8)*patk

Upgrading from Bash 1 to 2 then will increase your pet's damage by:
    [(1.55+0.5*8)*patk] / [(1.4 + 0.5*8)*patk]
    = (1.55+4) / (1.4+4)
    = 1.02777777
    = 2.78% improvement
    Aggro scales according to damage so the veno or squad will also be able to do 2.78% more damage without stealing aggro.

So in the time it takes you to kill N mobs with a Bash 2 pet, you would be able to kill on average N/1.0278 = 0.973*N mobs with a Bash 1 pet. In that time:

The Bash 2 pet would make you 83.7 mil - 200k for the book = 83.5 mil.
    The Bash 1 pet would make you only 0.973*83.7 mil = 81.4 mil.

So upgrading your pet's Bash skill will actually achieve your goal of saving up for a legendary pet quicker than just leaving it at Bash 1. And this doesn't even take into account the extra damage the veno or the squad can do without stealing aggro from the pet because of the extra aggro generation of Bash 2. And this is actually the worst case since it's ignoring the fact that Bash is front-loaded damage. Best case, if you kill a mob in 11 sec, you get 2 Bashes vs 8 sec of regular pet damage, meaning pet damage goes as (2*Bash + 4) meaning the Bash 2 pet kills 4.41% quicker.

This

Spend money on get better equip = Faster money farming
    Spend money on get higher pet skill = Faster money farming

Its called investment
    b:bye
    (btw I don't known if getting an herc nowdays with nerfed TT 3-1/x is still worth 82m)
    (I would rather *invest* double of the money to get a Demon 5.0 Fist BM and duo lower TTs with a Cleric friend - its way faster than the herc thing)
    Iam Segreta,Queen of the Chicken Kingdom,proud owner of the legendary Blue Chicken,BEHOLD Mortals o,o^
    Current # Chickens:
    ^,^ <- My Cleric <3
    o,o <- My Veno
    n_n <- My Bm
    =,= <- My Barb *Used as Mount*
    >,o <- My Sin(Stealth all the time for no reason)
  • Manakel - Lost City
    edited October 2010

Unless someone gives me the coin or items, I'm not going to get a Herc or Nix. Simple as that. :)
  • Vortella - Archosaur
    Vortella - Archosaur Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    So would it better to:
    a) upgrade bash to level 2.
    b) add an elemental bash (so in 9.5 seconds you do 1 bash, 1 elemental bash and 3 normal attacks).
    c) add flesh ream which does normal damage plus damage over time

An additional question:
    What do you recommend adding as the 4th skill to a glacial walker (icicle, roar, tough) and shadow ranger (tough, roar, pierce)?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Unless someone gives me the coin or items, I'm not going to get a Herc or Nix. Simple as that. :)

Then I Wouldn't bother doing any TT,FF,FCC or any high BHs as all want Herc Venos and for PvP all want Phoenix.

@Solandri I know what you mean but all you need is a lvl 2 bash.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    So would it better to:
    b) add an elemental bash (so in 9.5 seconds you do 1 bash, 1 elemental bash and 3 normal attacks).

Add flesh ream if it's a pet you're going to use in PK. For maximum aggro generation, add an elemental bash.
    An additional question:
    What do you recommend adding as the 4th skill to a glacial walker (icicle, roar, tough) and shadow ranger (tough, roar, pierce)?

To the walker, add either bash (better aggro generation) or threaten (greater survivability.) To the wanderer, add bash if it's going to be your main grind pet, or howl if you're going to use it as a DPS/debuff pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited October 2010
    So would it better to:
    If your priority is ease of play, upgrade Bash to 2 since it'll fire automatically. (c) is second (15 sec cooldown). (b) is third (8 sec cooldown).

If you want to generate maximum aggro, add a second elemental bash. (c) is second. (a) is third.

If you want to go PKing, add Flesh Ream. (b) is second, (a) is third.

If you want to save money, the elemental bashes can frequently be found on AH for dirt cheap (like 50k). Check on Tuesday evenings just before maintenance, and Wednesday. The PK event the scrolls come from in Tuesday evening. (a) is second at 200k. (c) is third from an NPC, although occasionally you can find it for cheap on AH.
    An additional question:
    For physical tanking pets, I've always been partial to threaten. It has a 30 sec cooldown and lasts for 15 sec, meaning you can chain it like so: Threaten, Tough, Threaten. That'll give you 45 sec of herc-like defense, which is usually more than enough time for the cleric to res and buff the tank. Then you hit Roar to reset aggro and the tank can get back to work.

The ranger is more of a DPS pet though, so I'd probably go with Bash on it.

(Disclaimer: I had a herc before TB came out so the above is purely theoretical speculation with regard to those two pets.)
  • Manakel - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Then I Wouldn't bother doing any TT,FF,FCC or any high BHs as all want Herc Venos and for PvP all want Phoenix.

Mysti, I've always thought you weren't the strongest spell in the book- I don't need a herd or nix to be successful. And tbh, I don't want to play the game on easymode. Well, any easier since I'm playing a veno...
    edited October 2010
    Actually, each upgrade to Bash is well worth the paltry 200k cost.

In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 2, you'd make 81.4 mil with Bash 1.
    In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 3, you'd make 79.3 mil with Bash 1.
    In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 4, you'd make 77.3 mil with Bash 1.
    In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 5, you'd make 75.3 mil with Bash 1.

In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 3, you'd make 81.50 mil with Bash 2.
    In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 4, you'd make 81.55 mil with Bash 3.
    In the time to make 83.7 mil with Bash 5, you'd make 81.61 mil with Bash 4.

So if you're starting to save up for a herc now, it's always worth it to upgrade your pet's Bash. The only time it's not worth it is if you're very close to buying a herc. If you've saved up:

more than 91.2% of the money for a herc, it's not worth upgrading Bash 1 to 2.
    more than 90.9% of the money for a herc, it's not worth upgrading Bash 2 to 3.
    more than 90.7% of the money for a herc, it's not worth upgrading Bash 3 to 4.
    more than 90.4% of the money for a herc, it's not worth upgrading Bash 4 to 5.

My hunch is the other popular pet skills are well worth it too, unless you're very close to already affording a herc.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for going through the trouble Solandri, i have been recommending precisely this for some time so is nice to see the math. I'm a bit surprised at your figures for when it is no longer worth it as they're not so intuitive, apparently my initial guess would have been way off.
    edited October 2010
    I'm a bit surprised at your figures for when it is no longer worth it as they're not so intuitive, apparently my initial guess would have been way off.
    Upgrading your pet's Bash by one level gets you just about 2 mil more coin in the time it takes to save for a herc (actual figures are 2.1 to 2.3 but let's go with 2 mil to make the math easier). So in 10% of that time, you'll make about 200k more coin.

Therefore, if you upgrade the pet's skill after you've saved up 90% of the herc's cost, during the remaining 10% you'll make about 200k extra coin, which exactly balances what you paid for the tame book to level the skill.
    Upgrade it above ~90% and you won't have enough time to recoup the 200k the tame book costs you.
    Upgrade it below ~90% and you'll have more than enough time and will recoup >200k.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I recently swapped out Boost for Bash on Mr Bear, then leveled pierce, Flesh, and bash to level 4. Cost me around 1.6 mil for the skill and 6 Tame books or so it required.

Worth it? Yes. I can steal aggro from an unsuspecting Barb the same level as Mr bear now.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    Mysti, I've always thought you weren't the strongest spell in the book- I don't need a herd or nix to be successful. And tbh, I don't want to play the game on easymode. Well, any easier since I'm playing a veno...

What are you talking about strongest spell?You will eventually when you get to the higher lvls need a herc on my server.

@Solandri again I know but take in to the cost factor of each of those books or scrolls as tweaks as often said.It is not worth it if you want to resell the pet why bother when you can go tame one or get one at a higher lvl a lvl 59 Golem will out do a lvl 19 Walker.
  • Manakel - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    What are you talking about strongest spell?You will eventually when you get to the higher lvls need a herc on my server.

@Solandri again I know but take in to the cost factor of each of those books or scrolls as tweaks as often said.It is not worth it if you want to resell the pet why bother when you can go tame one or get one at a higher lvl a lvl 59 Golem will out do a lvl 19 Walker.

I don't play on your server. I appreciate you trying to help- and the others too, but even though hurc may be the best, I'm not paying ~150-200 dollars to get it. and I'm not going to spend all my time grinding either.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Upgrading your pet's Bash by one level gets you just about 2 mil more coin in the time it takes to save for a herc (actual figures are 2.1 to 2.3 but let's go with 2 mil to make the math easier). So in 10% of that time, you'll make about 200k more coin.

Therefore, if you upgrade the pet's skill after you've saved up 90% of the herc's cost, during the remaining 10% you'll make about 200k extra coin, which exactly balances what you paid for the tame book to level the skill.
    Upgrade it above ~90% and you won't have enough time to recoup the 200k the tame book costs you.
    Upgrade it below ~90% and you'll have more than enough time and will recoup >200k.

Thanks again, Solandri. While a simplification, your further breaking this down into something more accessible to those of us who are not as familiar with math does help. I was only commenting on how looking at actual figures the numbers seem much better than i would have first thought, i had before recommended this based on a more intangible ease of play factor, but it certainly makes me feel reassured to know that, unless already upwards of 90% of the way to acquiring a herc, it pays off to level a skill such as Bash. I realize the figures for Ream would probably be somewhat lower, but it seems that leveling up your pet's main aggro skill does pay off in terms of cost efficiency, regardless of whether you may be saving for a herc or no.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    I don't play on your server. I appreciate you trying to help- and the others too, but even though hurc may be the best, I'm not paying ~150-200 dollars to get it. and I'm not going to spend all my time grinding either.
    Then I would stick to your TB and use your Veno for farming outside of intances.
  • DarkJess - Lost City
    DarkJess - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Then I would stick to your TB and use your Veno for farming outside of intances.

mysti stop thinking like tweakz the troll u dont need a herc or nix to be a good veno stop putting him down and making a real troll of yourself k?b:shutup
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited October 2010
    mysti stop thinking like tweakz the troll u dont need a herc or nix to be a good veno stop putting him down and making a real troll of yourself k?b:shutup

I found that my low lvl Herc at the time was able to beat my Golem but now my Herc is higher and no you don't but at the higher lvls it is expected especially if it your main.