Ranger, Skatefish, and Guardian.

Options
Kitty_Purry - Lost City
Kitty_Purry - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
I'm at a crossroads. I don't want to have to keep and level four pets- I have a Walker, a Ranger, a Skatefish and a Guardian. The Walker and Skatefish are staying- but I'm not sure whether the Guardian is better or worse than the Ranger (as a DD pet for instances, since the Skatefish can't go in there). Can someone please give me the stats for them at the same level- say, 30 maybe? Any level would do though.

Also- on my Skate, I'm going to drop slow- what two skills would be best for a grind/DD pet? I'm thinking ream and tough.

And now that I think about it, I could use some advice on the Ranger/Guardian skills as well...

And another thing- I'm not going to be saving up for a Herc until probably 80+ if at all, so don't even factor saving for one into your answer.
Post edited by Kitty_Purry - Lost City on

Comments

• MaouHime - Raging Tide
    MaouHime - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well concerning Skill distribution I don't think I'm that experienced enough to tell you about.
    Concerning Guardian or Ranger, that's sth. I can.

http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/petstat100.php
    If you follow this link you can see the stats of both and they are almost identical, their only significant differences are their M.Def and P.Def.

Dark Wanderer (Shadow Ranger) has a lot more P.Def than M.Def.
    Seamonster Guardian has a lot more M.Def than P.Def.

So it is up to you.
    Most people however, prefer the DW over SG, for having more P.Def so he is better suited for PVE, I believe.
  • Kitty_Purry - Lost City
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Ooh, thanks. I was thinking of using the SMG for magic mobs... Not sure how many mobs use pure magic though.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'd recommend adding howl (mdef debuff skill) to the skatefish, maybe tough or threaten as it's rather fragile. Hm... seeing as you're on a PVP server, fleshream wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you go with the wanderer (aka ranger) I'd add a bash skill (its default skillset doesn't include any good aggro holder skills)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'd recommend adding howl (mdef debuff skill) to the skatefish, maybe tough or threaten as it's rather fragile. Hm... seeing as you're on a PVP server, fleshream wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you go with the wanderer (aka ranger) I'd add a bash skill (its default skillset doesn't include any good aggro holder skills)

Thanks, I'll remember that :). Any idea about the Guardian?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The Guardian comes with Flesh Ream and Slow. I'd add Bash and Howl, and maybe replace Slow with Threaten.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Would tough be good instead of threaten?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tough decreases damage taken from all kinds of attacks, but has a longer cooldown (15 seconds of damage reduction with 60 second cooldown.) Threaten only decreases physical damage inflicted, and helps the tank survive, whether or not the tank is a pet or a character, and has a shorter cooldown (15 seconds of damage reduction with 30 second cooldown.)

If you're pet-tanking a boss, you're probably going to use the walker, as it has higher HP and pdef. The guardian or wanderer would be being used as DD pets when you're in squad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Tough decreases damage taken from all kinds of attacks, but has a longer cooldown (15 seconds of damage reduction with 60 second cooldown.) Threaten only decreases physical damage inflicted, and helps the tank survive, whether or not the tank is a pet or a character, and has a shorter cooldown (15 seconds of damage reduction with 30 second cooldown.)

If you're pet-tanking a boss, you're probably going to use the walker, as it has higher HP and pdef. The guardian or wanderer would be being used as DD pets when you're in squad.

True true.. I was just wondering because sometimes my pet will aggro a few mobs, or I'll get one and it has to tank both (until I kill one or the other)
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    True true.. I was just wondering because sometimes my pet will aggro a few mobs, or I'll get one and it has to tank both (until I kill one or the other)

that'll happen more and more, as well as get easier and easier.

on a pet you use mainly for tanking, there's no reason not to use both tough and threaten. i'm currently saving up the coin for to get my glacial walker threaten, in fact. the point of a tanker pet, after all, is to stand there and take hits for you.

on a damage dealer pet... ideally, those shouldn't take very many hits at all. something else should be tanking while they deal more damage, in theory anyway. in practice, of course, even DD pets might get aggro and have to tank at moment's notice, so it's up to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
    edited October 2010
    Options
    All my pets have to tank a bit, since I use all of them for grinding. :P looking at ecatomb I may wait until I can get an eldergoth (the 41 one) gag, too many pets so little time between levels!