high lvls wearing charms

khaili
khaili Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
I've noticed when i peek at high lvl ppls gear that most don't wear hp or mp charms, i was wondering if its considered bad form or cheating or something to use them at higher levels?
Post edited by khaili on

Comments

• DDEShare - Raging Tide
    DDEShare - Raging Tide Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Not exactly high level here, but meh. Charming while grinding is not really worth it. Potions are much cheaper than using a charm. However, it's necessary for some instances (level dependent), and is an absolute must for TW. There are 2 possible reasons why you see people with no charm:
    1. They simply don't need it at that moment. This is probably a good majority
    2. They're stupid. This is unfortunately also a large number

Edit: In no way is charming cheating or looked down upon, at least in my experience. If you require a charm to PvE grind, and I mean it's "I need a charm or I will die against white named normal mobs", then it's looked down upon.
    "There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face."

Proud member of Playboy b:victory
  • Aubree - Dreamweaver
    Aubree - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,868 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Pretty sure when you check peoples gear, you cannot see their charms, even if they are wearing one.
  • LovesTragedy - Lost City
    LovesTragedy - Lost City Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    When looking at gear it doesnt show if they have a charm, so it may just seem like they dont have one one when they do. Only way to tell is to tick them lol.

Ninja'd by Aubree QQ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chars:
    CptMaggots 101 sage R8/NV Seeker
    LovesTragedy 100 demon R8 Cleric

~Finally quit this god forsaken game~
    Enjoy the rest of the downward spiral. See you in SWtOR b:bye
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Cheaper to die than charm ****; especially since I'm not lvling anymore.

If I'd pk or TW I'd use one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khaili
    khaili Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Thank you very much for answering my question :)
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    charms are only needed for TW, PK, and Delta.

Anyone who tells you that you need a charm for something else needs be ignored.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010

And even for delta thats iffy...
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited October 2010

Pretty much this.
  • miyago
    miyago Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    As others have said, you can't see if the person's wearing a charm in any way. At high levels, you really don't need a charm unless you're PKing or TWing.
  • Deora - Lost City
    Deora - Lost City Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    miyago wrote: »
    As others have said, you can't see if the person's wearing a charm in any way. At high levels, you really don't need a charm unless you're PKing or TWing.

In the long run though... Ive found wearing a charm at all times actually significantly reduced my costs as I'd be way more careful with my hp to prevent needless ticks to it, before Id use nothing but event pots and end up spending a boatload on them every single week...
  • Tayalka - Heavens Tear
    Tayalka - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    khaili wrote: »
    I've noticed when i peek at high lvl ppls gear that most don't wear hp or mp charms...

1. depends on server. Me, playing on Heanve's Tear- so PvE- don't need a charm cause...uhm yup, I dont PK xD
    2. depends on race: I'm a veno and only used HP charms for TW or one time for surviving 15 min in cube (cultivation...b:sad) but I know lots of barbs using HP-Charms nonstop..or MP-charmed Clerics. Its mostly luxury I guess but
    3. depens on what you are doing. A Barb w/o HP-charm is hard to heal against some bosses, a TW w/o charm is suicide etc etc
    ~Roses are red,
    violetts are blue,
    God made me beautiful,
    but what happend to you?~
    b:laugh[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear
    SgtSIaughter - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,225 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    If you would peek and tell a player doesn't have a charm, some are more likely to PK that person.

It's hidden as it should be, eye of observation is a fail item. Your build and setup is your business.
    "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." ~Sun Tzu

"Lennox Lewis, I'm coming for you man. My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
    ~Iron Mike Tyson Enrage.omgforum.net
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    1. depends on server. Me, playing on Heanve's Tear- so PvE- don't need a charm cause...uhm yup, I dont PK xD
    2. depends on race: I'm a veno and only used HP charms for TW or one time for surviving 15 min in cube (cultivation...b:sad) but I know lots of barbs using HP-Charms nonstop..or MP-charmed Clerics. Its mostly luxury I guess but
    3. depens on what you are doing. A Barb w/o HP-charm is hard to heal against some bosses, a TW w/o charm is suicide etc etc

I hate HP charm on veno. Lol I always forget to use the trans skill when hp at half, when I finally notice it's like -.- Damn either pot or charm tick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    Conavar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    A lot of high level's are charmed for the simple fact they cant be unequiped.
    If they use one for TW/PK then they are stuck with it for the more mundane task's wether they need it or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • miyago
    miyago Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    In the long run though... Ive found wearing a charm at all times actually significantly reduced my costs as I'd be way more careful with my hp to prevent needless ticks to it, before Id use nothing but event pots and end up spending a boatload on them every single week...

I don't use HP pots. If I die during PvE there's usually a cleric with lvl11 ress (even if it's 10 it doesn't matter). If I'm playing cleric solo healing, I don't usually die as the high level instances aren't that tough.

If you're lower leveled, it may be more beneficial to wear a charm vs hp pots, but at lower levels it's extremely easy for the charm to tick. All in all I don't find charms worthwhile in PvE.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited October 2010

I use around 100k worth of HP food in a day in PK. Which sucks when you are trying to save up for things and don't have a steady income...

But when your daily income is 0k for two weeks you can't really use foods.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    never used a charm since lvl75
    i simply don't like them.

now i dont think that i'll ever use one unless i go to tw someday...
    solo pve? i dont even use pots, if i die i just release.
    lol, i even commit suicide to get a free teleport back to town
    group pve? who needs a psy anyway, i'm a decorative DD with a funny aoe purify
    pvp? i dont really pvp and i'm not gonna waste a charm to survive. my ego can handle a couple of deaths

mana charm? lol
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Never used a charm..I never needed or found using one necessary.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Currently my alts all have HP charms... but only because the TB quest chain gives that free plat one. b:chuckle

Aside from quest reward charms, I never use charms. Too broke, and I don't TW/PK so I find them unnecessary. Before level 75 mana pots can be a bit annoying for sure, but it is manageable; and once you hit 75 yuanxiao is cheap (my cleric goes through loads of it but still cheaper than a charm).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    I hate having a charm in PVE. I end up staring at my HP bar constantly trying to avoid charm ticks. This means I can only effectively use half my hp before I need to heal up. It's also very difficult to use tree of protection to heal without ticking the charm.

End game PVE is not difficult enough to require a charm except for maybe harpy, soloing FCC, and RB Delta.

In anything PVP I am charmed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html