Newbie/starter questions on Venomancers

Options
kamatsudash
kamatsudash Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
Hi,

I've read the stickies as well as a lot of the threads in the forum, but I'm still feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed regarding some aspects. I'm going to have to keep on reading and learning, but I'll get there I'm sure.

I'm new to PW, created a Veno and got the char to level 5.. and enjoying it quite a bit. decided I want to restart and do things a bit "better" - I was only on for like 1 hour, so it's no sweat to redo.

So without further ado, here's my questions:

1. Character creation/customization

Is the only way to get the special ears and/or tails via the preset's? I looked through all the options in the customization screen and could not find any entries to change the ears or tails..so was wondering if I wanted them with a particular look.. would I have to pick the preset with the ear/tail combo I wanted and then adjust the character from there?

2. Starter Pet

While I realize that starting levle 6?7? Veno's can tame new pets, I feel a bit lost when it comes to the initial training choice between the wolfling and the scorpion..

From what I've read from the stats.. the Scorpion is an overall better pet for dps/tanking? than the wolfling. Basically looking for a nice starter pet for someone who wants to be able to quest and grind solo (not worried about instances at all right now..)

From what I've read come level 10?11? it's likely better to go tame some other pet.. umm can't remember the name, something stalker? or something like that..

Or because of the fact it's better? to get another pet at level 10 or so.. that it doesn't matter which of the 2 starter pets you get?

3. Magic Weapons

Are these basically stat sticks for veno's who use their spells & pets and doesn't melee? Thus would it be better to go for weapons with higher magic atatck?

So say there is a choice between:

a) high physical attack but low magic attack
b) around equal/same physical and magic attack
c) low physical attack but high magic attack

Would a veno be better off with a, b or c?

Just wondering if I should pay much attention to the physical attack stat, or just grab whatever magic weapon has best stats as well as highest magic attack stat?

4. Armor types / Stat allocation

I've read the stickies.. and I'm still confused... lolz What would work for a veno looking for solo ability and survivibility?

Would it be better to go for robes.. as these have the least str/dex requirements.. which means you could spend more points in vit for more health - so keep magic 3* your level for magic weapons, make sure str/dex is at base for weapons and armor.. and rest goes in vit. This would likely give high hp ****.. but also gives the lowest physical defense... but also gives highest magical defense.

If your having your pet tank and get and keep (hopefully?) aggro.. does the physical/magical defenses issue count?

Or better to go for the medium of the road (in starter armor terms.. "leather armor") light armor? It's a middle of the road between physical and magical defenses.. so averages better out.. but also has higher str/dex stat allocations needed, which means less vit.. and thus less hp. so while your mdef & pdef are more averaged, you'll also have lower hp..

for someone playing solo, questing and grinding.. what would be easier and better? (ie for a novice/newbie at the game just learning the in's and outs...)

5. Pet web site?

Just curious, but is there a site which easily lists/displays all the available pets in PW? i ask because I have played a hunter in WoW before.. and there is a site there which shows all tameable pets, where to get them, their skills.. and was wondering if there is the same here.

I know there's a database site (forgotten the name or link to it).. but it requires you to know the name of the animal/creature/npc your looking up.. and there is a site which compares stats @ lvl 90 & 100.. but it also doesn't list all pets or pet types..

Well, thats all I can think of right now.
Thanx in advance to any help that can be provided :)
Post edited by kamatsudash on

Comments

• Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear
    Dyskrasia - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,161 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    1. Yes
    2. In the beginning the pet you choose doesn't matter. I would go with the scorpion as it's still decent at later levels. Once you get to level 17 ish you can tame a Glacial Walker (which will be your main tank unless you want to experiment with others) and a Dark Wanderer (which will be your main DD)... both can be found in the Tideborn area.
    3. Up to you, but you won't get a lot of damage in fox form at lower levels. It would be faster to just stay pure caster for awhile (and choose the weapon with the highest mag damage.) Couldn't tell you when the best time to use fox form is in everyday grinding because I never have. lol
    4. I'd avoid light armor. Which leaves arcane until you reach a point where heavy armor can be better managed (80/90+.. it's possible before then, but in my opinion not worth the effort of trying to work out all the stat points.) As for vit... up to you. Use vit and shard (later on, when you keep armor for awhile... 70/80+ maybe? before then it doesn't really matter) with pdef. Or shard with pdef and spend more than you normally would to refine gear for an hp bonus, and stay pure mag. There's no harm in adding vit because you can restat later, but I don't think it's necessary in the lower levels. If you can keep your pet alive, you don't have much to worry about.
    5. As far as I know, no. But you can tell which ones are tamable when you encounter them based on a little face thing they'll have near their name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Evict is a sexy chalupa. <3
    retired, etc
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    glacial walkers are tameable at level 19, and can easily remain your primary tanking pet unless and until you buy a hercules.

dark wanderers are available from level 10, and make excellent damage dealer pets --- but so does the varicose scorpion, which you'll already be used to by that point.

it doesn't much matter which of the starter pets you get. by the time either of them are outdated, you'll have had plenty chance to put many, many levels on other pets; i kept my sharptooth wolfling up through level 40-something.

one starter pet not to be overlooked is the petite sawfly, available from level 8. you don't strictly need a flying pet until level 30-something, but it can't hurt, and is usable even before you can fly yourself --- just in somewhat limited situations.

arcane venos are easy to build, easy to run, and solo just fine. add some vit if you think you're dying more than you'd like, but know that you'll probably end up restatting it away in late-game levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear
    Gwendolynne - Heavens Tear Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Good advice guys. =D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
    Gwendolynne : 101/SageVeno - Xyleena : 102/DemonCleric
    Delecroix : 101/DemonSin - Anatoxin : 9x/SagePsy
    Raevynne : 100/DemonBM - GotMeTwisted : 8x/SageSeeker
    Deicidea : 8x/Mystic - Diva : 95/SageBM/Retired
  • kamatsudash
    kamatsudash Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice and hints, it's been very helpful :)
  • Kitty_Purry - Lost City
    Kitty_Purry - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    If you dont like the way the sawfly looks, you can get the Cloud Skatefish from TB lands at lv 22. Stats are very similar, looks great.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Getting the fly early means you can keep it levelled --- so when YOU get to fly, it's already up and running. Using an airpet on the ground is somewhat bugged, though, but in a predictable way --- it's moving in a straight line towards the target, and if that line goes through the ground the air pet will still try to do that and get stuck. It's generally not all that difficult to find suitable locations to avoid this.

You might also be able to tank the Elder Turtoise with the fly --- not quite sure, but the early bosses aren't as bad as the ones to come. That turtle is a water monster, so ground pets are useless.

Also, when you approach lvl 20, don't forget to collect Hay from Longhorn Carapest and/or Rhinodrakes to get a 3rd pet slot. Even if you fall behind your quests for a bit.
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • DemonGal - Lost City
    DemonGal - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I highly suggest Light Armor, it's a good build to not get completely decimated when it comes to mobs attacking you, while still retaining your caster abilities fairly high. The Heavy Fox is just a bad idea, it defeats the purpose of the class IMO.

Arcane is the best attack base, but you get destroyed in like 1-2 hits by mobs your own level, and since a lot of quests send you against mobs higher than your level, it's not a good build for that. Sure your pet does a lot of the tanking for you, but there are several instances where you end up getting tag teamed, and before you hit level 30, it's not like you can fly to get away anyways.

This is from personal experience, keep in mind. :D
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I highly suggest Light Armor, it's a good build to not get completely decimated when it comes to mobs attacking you, while still retaining your caster abilities fairly high. The Heavy Fox is just a bad idea, it defeats the purpose of the class IMO.

Arcane is the best attack base, but you get destroyed in like 1-2 hits by mobs your own level, and since a lot of quests send you against mobs higher than your level, it's not a good build for that. Sure your pet does a lot of the tanking for you, but there are several instances where you end up getting tag teamed, and before you hit level 30, it's not like you can fly to get away anyways.

This is from personal experience, keep in mind. :D

With the Red Highlight, I must most emphatically disagree with you on.... and thats mainly because of how Venomancers are set up. Veno Damage even as Pure Arcane is weak (quite significantly) against other arcane classes damage, as our pet is another DD for us. So Giving up SOME of that damage to increase your own physical damage and defense is not at all defeating the purpose of the class. It is merely supporting a Different role of a Veno, the Defensive Support (especially in PVP). But you are allowed to have your opinion.

However, I would NOT advise a HA Build on a lower leveled Veno before say level 79. Or it will be a long, difficult road for you. Arcane or Light Armor will do you well until 80s if you wish for an HA Route. The best part of a Veno is their versatility. The ability to pull off any Armor Class they wish very successfully within the right Players skilled hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
  • DemonGal - Lost City
    DemonGal - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    With the Red Highlight, I must most emphatically disagree with you on.... and thats mainly because of how Venomancers are set up. Veno Damage even as Pure Arcane is weak (quite significantly) against other arcane classes damage, as our pet is another DD for us. So Giving up SOME of that damage to increase your own physical damage and defense is not at all defeating the purpose of the class. It is merely supporting a Different role of a Veno, the Defensive Support (especially in PVP). But you are allowed to have your opinion.

However, I would NOT advise a HA Build on a lower leveled Veno before say level 79. Or it will be a long, difficult road for you. Arcane or Light Armor will do you well until 80s if you wish for an HA Route. The best part of a Veno is their versatility. The ability to pull off any Armor Class they wish very successfully within the right Players skilled hands.
    Too an extent we agree, as I prefer Light Armor builds, however I just do not go as extreme as HA.
    edited October 2010
    Options
    HA is no more extreme then LA, you only need a few more stat points...

I am HA (And i have tried all Armor Classes as a Veno at high levels). Currently I have 38 Vit, 305 Magic, 267 Str, and 60 Dex ... respectively with all of my gear on. That has me with my TT99 Weapon AND gear.

LA You need more Dex and Less strength then HA. I feel that I am a very successful Venomancer, I do things that no 'normal' breed of Veno could pull off, such as soloing Eyes for the Krimson Beyond and Jewelscalen (long before I was level 100; lol now those bosses are just jokes) without a pet, HP Charm, or a cleric. I can still heal my herc in all instances a Herc should be able to tank. So I don't see waht hte big difference is?

When someone finall proves it to me, I will re-stat then and there. We all have our preferences of course, of course, but there is no reason to discourage someone from an armor class, by dismissing it as relevant to the class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character Roster:
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    LA is a more conventional build for PVP servers. It's more meant for survivability.

That being said, if they are on Archosaur, a PVE server, choose between pure magic AA down the road or HA/AA hybrid or pure HA build. LA nowadays is pretty nonsensical. A HA/AA veno will have the luxury of having over 10K mdef buffed or 8 - 15K pdef (human form) or 15 - 30K pdef (fox form, esp sage fox), hitting decently with magic, with a decently refined magic weapon, or hitting very well melee in fox form. I found melee to be quite useful against select BH bosses, as well as in Nirvana, as when I played (or duo'd my BM and veno) I'd usually be running chests on my veno, or tanking the third boss in Nirvana with veno+herc while pulling foxes with my BM. At first if you're a HA/AA veno early on you'll have trouble with heals on very strong bosses like Cosmoforce 2-3 and Fataliqua 2-3, which is easily overcome by -channel bonuses.
  • Alesselia - Archosaur
    Alesselia - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Thanx again for the advice. It's been very helpful :)
    Oh, and i am the OP.

Yes, I'm on Archosaur (PvE). Truthfully I'm not a big fan of PvP (well, at least not "forced pvp" as in a pvp server) so play on a PvE server. As I don't really know the game all that well, decided to go Veno as it seems the most newbie friendlyish - similiar to the hunter in WoW (lol yes, I've played WoW.. please don't hurt me.. lolz). Get a tankish pet, use pet to mainly tank, heal pet and do damage from afar..