Light armor fox build

ul3m8
ul3m8 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited October 2010 in Venomancer
Hi everyone,

I'm new in this game and i want to play with a venomancer light armor fox build.
Now my question is how my stats should be? Like ever lvl: 1 Dex , 1 Str and 3 Mag?
Which skills i should use and which I defenitly should NOT use(cause it would be stupid).

And how i should play with this veno. Like sending your pet as a tank to ur mob, then helping him with mage skills or go and help him in fox form...

I read a lot of guides but i still couldn't find a good answer to this questions ..

So please someone help me:)

Ty anyway,
Greetz,

ul3m8
Post edited by ul3m8 on

Comments

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ul3m8 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm new in this game and i want to play with a venomancer light armor fox build.

I will strongly recommend that once you reach level 80 or level 90 you restat to Heavy Armour. Light Armour is a viable and very balanced build at early levels but as you get closer to endgame, Heavy Armour build will shine even more. You will clearly see a great difference.
    Of course, Heavy Armour build is a bit complicated and it's not for low levels or newcomers so leave this for later but keep it in mind for later.

The reasons are that as Heavy Armour you can have insane physical defence and switch to Arcane equipment when you are against magic mobs/magic classes. Light Armour's physical defence will be nowhere near Heavy's but you can still switch to Arcane equipment when needed. Also, with Heavy Armour build you have to add more Str points which will increase your physical attack unlike Light Armour build which wastes a lot of your points into Dex.

I played my second Venomancer ( Devayen) as Light Armour and I restated at lvl 70 (I was a bit impatient b:chuckle). The HP was nearly the same (since with both builds you have to rely on your equipment for HP) but the physical defence was insane.

Now my question is how my stats should be? Like ever lvl: 1 Dex , 1 Str and 3 Mag?

Yes your stats should be 1 Dex, 1 Str and 3 Mag every level. You can choose to not to add any Vit points or to add some. If you choose the latter your Vit should only be 7. No more because you won't be able to equip the weapon of your level in the future.

Which skills i should use and which I defenitly should NOT use(cause it would be stupid).

You have to remember one thing. Use both sides of the Venomancer. You may want to focus on your Magic Skill Tree or you may want to focus on your Fox Skill Tree but in any case neither tree should be neglected. Both sides contain essential skills.
    Guide to skills This is a very nice guide containing the most important and most useful skills a Venomancer has.
    Some skills are useless in PvE but become godly in PvP and vice versa. I don't know in which server you are but if you can tell me I could give you some more tips.

And how i should play with this veno. Like sending your pet as a tank to ur mob, then helping him with mage skills or go and help him in fox form...

This depends on your playstyle which you will find as you progress the game. The most common technique is to let your pet take the hits while you cast magic attacks far away from the mob (or melee in fox). However with the Light/Heavy build (mostly Heavy) you can become the tank yourself and let your pet be the damage dealer. Either way you should make sure that you can take hits in case you steal the aggro from your pet.

Note. There are different pets with different statistics and abilities( tank, dps, debuffer). If you don't know much about this please ask :)

Also, read this guide Venomancers in dungeons to see what is your role as a Venomancer in squads & dungeons.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Yes, 1 dex, 1 str, 3 mag per level for light armor. You'll still do more damage casting in human form than in fox... which also means you're more likely to pull aggro in human than in fox.

Skills to avoid? Soul degeneration (not much use unless/until you go sage... might be useful in PVP, especially in conjunction with malefic crush) and crush vigor (mobs don't have chi, so only useful in PVP.)

Whether you assist your pet in human or fox is going to depend on whether you want to conserve mana (though your fox skills still take mana, and with low strength your damage is mostly going to come from skills in fox) or minimize repairs (hitting 1.25 times/sec racks up the repairs fairly fast, and magic weapons don't have the durability of melee weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • ul3m8
    edited October 2010
    I will strongly recommend that once you reach level 80 or level 90 you restat to Heavy Armour. Light Armour is a viable and very balanced build at early levels but as you get closer to endgame, Heavy Armour build will shine even more. You will clearly see a great difference.
    Of course, Heavy Armour build is a bit complicated and it's not for low levels or newcomers so leave this for later but keep it in mind for later.

The reasons are that as Heavy Armour you can have insane physical defence and switch to Arcane equipment when you are against magic mobs/magic classes. Light Armour's physical defence will be nowhere near Heavy's but you can still switch to Arcane equipment when needed. Also, with Heavy Armour build you have to add more Str points which will increase your physical attack unlike Light Armour build which wastes a lot of your points into Dex.

I played my second Venomancer ( Devayen) as Light Armour and I restated at lvl 70 (I was a bit impatient b:chuckle). The HP was nearly the same (since with both builds you have to rely on your equipment for HP) but the physical defence was insane.

Yes your stats should be 1 Dex, 1 Str and 3 Mag every level. You can choose to not to add any Vit points or to add some. If you choose the latter your Vit should only be 7. No more because you won't be able to equip the weapon of your level in the future.

You have to remember one thing. Use both sides of the Venomancer. You may want to focus on your Magic Skill Tree or you may want to focus on your Fox Skill Tree but in any case neither tree should be neglected. Both sides contain essential skills.
    Guide to skills This is a very nice guide containing the most important and most useful skills a Venomancer has.
    Some skills are useless in PvE but become godly in PvP and vice versa. I don't know in which server you are but if you can tell me I could give you some more tips.

This depends on your playstyle which you will find as you progress the game. The most common technique is to let your pet take the hits while you cast magic attacks far away from the mob (or melee in fox). However with the Light/Heavy build (mostly Heavy) you can become the tank yourself and let your pet be the damage dealer. Either way you should make sure that you can take hits in case you steal the aggro from your pet.

Note. There are different pets with different statistics and abilities( tank, dps, debuffer). If you don't know much about this please ask :)

Also, read this guide Venomancers in dungeons to see what is your role as a Venomancer in squads & dungeons.

Ty, very very much! You helped me alot...
    But what do you mean with: " .... in case you steal the aggro from your pet"?
    And yea if you want to tell me some more about the different pets with different statistics and abilities...? :) And do you recommend some pets?

Ty very much!
    greetz,

ul3m8
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    When you and your pet are attacking the same mob, your pet should have the aggro. Which means the mob's full attention is on the pet and you can attack the mob, and heal your pet while it attacks, with the mob attacking you. If you steal the aggro, it means you're stronger (well in most cases that's what it means) and the mob's full atttention will be on you, attacking you and not your pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • ul3m8
    edited October 2010
    When you and your pet are attacking the same mob, your pet should have the aggro. Which means the mob's full attention is on the pet and you can attack the mob, and heal your pet while it attacks, with the mob attacking you. If you steal the aggro, it means you're stronger (well in most cases that's what it means) and the mob's full atttention will be on you, attacking you and not your pet.

OOooo , ok ty very much :)
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Up until the point in which the dps from just using regular melee attacks overcomes that of using caster skills (think it's around late 7x) you'll basically be working much as an arcane veno. Once past this point going Fox should work out better. Foxform, Fox Myriad Rainbow, Melee Mastery, Amplify Damage and Leech would be the basics you need to max for Fox. Some venos add Consume Spirit to the mix for some MP gain. Stunning Blow and Purge would be your PvP skills.

For caster your basics should be Wood Mastery, as well as Venomous, Ironwod and Lucky scarabs. Noxious is recommended, Blazing and Nova being somewhat optional. All venos regardless of build should get their utility skills and max them if able. That's Nature's Grace, Metabollic Boost, Soul Transfussion, Lending Hand, Summer Sprint and Bramble Guard. Bramble Hood is recommended.
  • Itankforu - Harshlands
    Itankforu - Harshlands Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ha/arcane is best for an end-game veno
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    ul3m8 wrote: »
    Ty, very very much! You helped me alot...
    But what do you mean with: " .... in case you steal the aggro from your pet"?
    And yea if you want to tell me some more about the different pets with different statistics and abilities...? :) And do you recommend some pets?

I'm glad that I could help you b:victory

Grippie already explained what is aggro but I'd like to add one more thing.
    Aggro is short of "aggression". You can also consider it as "hate" (some people refer to it like that).
    When you hit a mob he adds you to his hate list because you are trying to kill him. If you send your pet first, the mob will add your pet on his hate list and will ignore your attacks. At later levels however your magic attack (or your damage per second (DPS) in fox form) will be higher so you'll have high chances of stealing the aggro. In that case you just have to be careful of how often you attack and such. I'm sure you'll realise/discover it by yourself too.

About pets now. There are usually categorised as tank, DPS, debuffer or support and luring pet.

Tank Pets
    They are pets with high defence and HP. There are Physical Tanks and Magic Tanks but the most common and prefered type is the Physical Tank because every single mob can do melee even if they normally use magic attacks. In other words, don't care about magic tanks unless you want that specific pet or something.
    Tank pets (depending on level) can tank several bosses and mini-bosses as well as multiple mobs and elite mobs. This pet is essential for you. You can solo a big part of the game (mostly at untill level ~70) with them.

Best tank pet in-game (need money): Baby Hercules
    That is a legendary pet that requires 9999 Source of Force. Don't consider buying it yet. It is expensive (80mil in-game coins or 180$ ) but at levels 80+ is quite demanded. Of course you can choose not to buy it. It's not a must-have but it's a great investment. I just had to mention it so you'll know.

Best tank pet in-game (free pet): Glacial Walker
    This is the best tank pet after the legendary Hercules. Most Venomancers use it. It's lvl19 and is found somewhere around the tideborn area.

There are however other options in case you don't like the design which are:
    Crystaline Magmite (lvl 18, Timberfield area)
    Volcanic Magmite (lvl19, Timberfield area)
    Shaodu Cub (lvl 20, rare pet that spawns every 12 hours) This was my pet of choice until I acquired a Hercules
    Armored Bear (lvl80, rare pet that spawns every 12 hours)

Note: Tank pets should have the skills Tough (decrease damage taken) and Bash (to keep aggro better).

DPS/Attack Pets
    When you are in squads you will want to have pets that benefit your team. In that case the DPS is one of them. DPS pets can kill things faster and are especially useful when your squad is fighting a boss.

Best DPS/Attack pet (need money): Baby Blazing Phoenix
    Again a legendary pet that requires 9999 Phoenix Feathers to acquire. This mostly a concern for those who are on PvP servers or like to PK/do Territory Wars. Note: It's an air pet and therefore cannot be taken in dungeons

Best DPS/Attack pet (free): Dark Wanderer (mob name is Shadow Ranger)
    It's lvl 9 and is found around the Tideborn area also.

Other options:
    Varicose Scorpion (lvl 3, quest pet or found outside L=City of the Lost)

Debuff/Support pets
    Any pet can become one if they have or you teach them debuff skills such as Howl (decrease opponent's magic defence), Pierce (decrease opponent's physical defence), Threaten (decrease opponents attack) and a few others. It's better if you add debuff skills to DPS/Attack pets. It works great with them.

Luring Pets
    This is another essential pet for you. In squads, one of the most important roles as a Venomancer is to lure single mobs or bosses. You can do this by sending your pet to attack, one your pet attacks once you click stow. The mob will come after you then. If you have questions about it please do ask.
    Luring pets have to be either ranged or really fast so that they can avoid hits (this also depends on your timing with stow pet).

Ranged pet options:
    Eldergoth Marskman (lvl 45 I think, around Sundown Town)
    Eldergoth Sharpshooter (lvl 48 I think, around Sundown Town or so)
    Cacopods (those low level cactopods you come across at early levels, I'm sure you have seen them)
    Celectial Cactopod (lvl89 and 92 inside FB89, longer range than low level cactopods)

Speed pet options:
    Kowlin (lvl 60, the fastest land pet available, rare pet that spawns every 12 hours) my pet of choice
    Cuddly Pup (lvl20, rare pet that spawns every 12 hours)
    Tabby Plumpdrop(lvl20, rare pet that spawns every 12 hours)
    Nintetail Firefox (lvl85, fastest pet after kowlin, around Land of the Burning Heart) my pet of choice as back-up lurer

Note: At early levels you can use whatever pet you want because luring will be easy. At lvl60+ things will get harder.

You can visit ecatomb.net for pet stats and locations.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Grippieluver - Lost City
    Grippieluver - Lost City Posts: 9,807 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    :O Desdi, I didn't know that. Wow thanks for explaining it (:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thankiez to Dorset for the sig!

MagicHamsta will remain in our hearts forever

P.S. I am a female venomancer ^^ I know it's rare, isn't it?
  • ul3m8
    edited October 2010
    Desdi and all the others that helped me: Ty Very Very much for the help! :D everything is very clearer now :) and now i finally can start to play the game well :D
    THANK YOU ALL :D