slow exp gain for my flying pet. why?

Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide
Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide Posts: 277 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
hi me again.
i just started working on leveling up my pets ,besides my walker, and i see something that puzzles me.
both my water and land pets' exp go up by 10 after each mob kill ,at least there level is not higher, but not my air pet. my pet only gains 1 no matter what the level, or type, the mob is either water,land and air. i tried a level 8 fly, level 60 foxwings and those level 100 fly in tideborn.
Is this normal when it comes to leveling up air pets?
if so i will be smacking a lot of fly to level it up.
i am using a skatefish.
b:thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The many sides of a Venomancerb:victory
Post edited by Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    if they aren't gaining by more than 10 XP per kill, something's wrong anyway.

first get their loyalty up above 500. this will increase their attack and their experience gain, both. second, make sure you're grinding on mobs at least your own level (not your pets' level) or higher. killing mobs too far below your own level will reduce your XP gain, and your pets' too.

done right, you should be seeing your pets gain 15 XP per kill. that, unfortunately, is the maximum.

edit: when doing this, are you yourself flying or on the ground? i'm not certain it matters, but i suspect attacking flying mobs while landbound (or vice versa) might influence XP gain too. try it both ways and see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide
    Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    i feel like an idiot. i just went right for the walker from the beginning of the game and never looked at that loyalty bar. thank you for being kind to me and not calling me a baka. i should have known this.
    baka is Japanese for idiot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The many sides of a Venomancerb:victory
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I have to disagree with Lenie... the pet's experience gain is governed by their level, not yours. The base experience gain is 10 for any mob their level or higher, decreased by 1 for each level under theirs, multiplied by the loyalty modifier (1.5 for loyal (501+ loyalty), 1.0 for tame (151-500 loyalty), lower for wild and savage... I think .1 for savage (0-70 loyalty)) and rounded down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    cube room 4 mobs and staunch worms are excluded from above - they always give 15xp per kill.. woot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    cube room 4 mobs and staunch worms are excluded from above - they always give 15xp per kill.. woot

Except for at low loyalty... which was already covered above. b:chuckle
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    lol i never let my pets get low.. 11 oils and they are maxed (if they are just hatched) then tome takes care of it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • Mauntille - Heavens Tear
    Mauntille - Heavens Tear Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    And aren't the worms level 100? Meaning that pets over level 100 would be receiving slightly less than 15 xp?

True about the ? mice in room 4 tho.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Leveling pets on both of those types of mobs is so incredibly boring..but fast.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    To be honest, i don't think leveling pets on cube or staunch worms is worth it unless you're trying to bring up a pet several levels behind. Grinding on mobs your level is not that slow, not to mention is a bit less of a bore, and will provide you with some nice loot.
    edited September 2010
    the staunch worms are level [?], which is to say 150. you always get full XP on them, assuming full loyalty. their main backdraw IMO is that they're crazy-makingly tedious and boring. useful for quickly catching up several levels in one session, but they'd be more useful still if "tab" was an action you could stick in a macro...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • MaouHime - Raging Tide
    MaouHime - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    the staunch worms are level [?], which is to say 150.

IIRC the Staunch Worms are not lvl [?], but lvl 100.
    edited September 2010
    it seems pwdatabase agrees with you; i must have misremembered. my apologies.