Underweater Pet for high lvl

Karrua - Heavens Tear
Karrua - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
Okay, so I'm a lvl 75 Venomancer, and don't have an underwater pet. This is quite a predicament due to the Dragonmaid scale quest. It might be quite a while until I hit 80 for Celestial Plumpfish, so does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?
Post edited by Karrua - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• stripboekenfan
    stripboekenfan Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There are 4 options:

1) wait till level 80, tame that super duper celestial plumpfish, then do the Dragonmaid quest b:pleased

2) try to team up with 1 or more other players doing the same quest

3) you can send me a forum private message and I will give you my in game name so I can help you with my lvl 79 cleric b:cute

4) level a tortoise everlasting from lvl 51 to your level, but I don't recommend this one b:shutup
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    People act as if survivability and atk is all important when there's nothing it can do for you that a plumpfish can't. That turtle is huge and slow.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    However... a turtle is useful before you're level 80, which can't be said of a plumpfish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    A side note, the plumpfish SUCK. (suck as mobs, not as pet)
    You probably won't be able to tame one at lvl 80 if your alone, unless you really play it smart (they seal, hit hard, and tend to gank you)

You could also try to tame a dragonmaid
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    I don't believe dragonmaids are tameable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I don't believe dragonmaids are tameable.

In that case, ignore the last part of my post b:shutup
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • wildwolfrider
    wildwolfrider Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    When I had that on my veno I just had my wizzie hubby smash em for me b:chuckle

So, really I'd suggest grabbing a lvl 50 turtle and just using that to lure one at a time if you must do it alone. Otherwise, I'd suggest teamwork with another class unless you really really feel like lvling up a turtle instead of waiting til 80 for the plumpfish.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Underweater? I think i know what you were thinking of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RnwcAe5sto
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    However... a turtle is useful before you're level 80, which can't be said of a plumpfish.

Yeah, it's "kind of hard" to do the water quests without a pet.

Still, I wonder whether I should stash her and get one of these fishes --- hard to tell whether people use these fishes just because it's next to impossible to level water pets, or whether they actually are decent.

Nobody seems to use the turtles anymore... but she worked quite well. Hasn't even reached 60 yet, but handled all the water quests so far without problems (although I still have to do that Dragon Prince thing --- Database numbers look quite low, but he seems to be a boss of sorts, and the NPC even recommends a party... so trying it with a lvl 5x turtle while I'm not at 0% seemed like a bad idea).
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Yes - the 5x turtles are fine for taming a plumpfish, or beating up on dragonmaids before then.

You can grab a fresh one at tai-chi shore, but you will find yourself healing it until it gets a few levels under its shell.

Edit:
    There are a couple of different water bosses in that area. I *think* the dragon prince is the easy soloable one, and the templar is the nasty one you really want a party for. But don't rely upon my flaky memory.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Nobody seems to use the turtles anymore... but she worked quite well. Hasn't even reached 60 yet, but handled all the water quests so far without problems (although I still have to do that Dragon Prince thing --- Database numbers look quite low, but he seems to be a boss of sorts, and the NPC even recommends a party... so trying it with a lvl 5x turtle while I'm not at 0% seemed like a bad idea).

My turtle (~60 highlands tortoise) handled the dragon prince handily when I had the quest.

According to the figures I've seen, a turtle is better than a plumpfish... it's just that few people level a turtle that high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There are two quest water bosses I've run into so far that a regular plumpfish or turtle won't be able to tank.

One is down between Dreamweaver Port and the Tideborn area for a quest (culti?) in your late 80s I think. Had to put Strong on my phoenix to tank that, and have a wizard friend lure him to the surface since it was too deep for me to lure + have phoenix out at the same time.

The other is in the Frozen River up by the Village of Shattered ice. It's the last in the chain of the TB quests which have you digging chests. The water boss is super-mean with a water AOE. My phoenix w/ Strong could tank it, but I needed a cleric healing me to counter the AOE. I think you can do it with pots/charm, but it takes a while to kill so you're gonna burn through a lot.

Oh yeah, did I mention? You can lure water mobs to the surface and have a flying pet tank them. b:chuckle Takes a bit of finangling to learn how work the lure and time the attack so your pet can hit the mob before it resets and goes back. But if your air pet is better than your water pet, it's worth a shot. The drawback is your spell damage is halved, but the pro is you can just fly up out of spell range if you get in trouble. That said, the dragonmaids were a pain to lure and I think I just ended up killing them using a water pet.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    The thing with both of those water bosses is, even a level 100 water pet can't handle either of them (infact, my 93 undine mystic struggles with just the ae on the frozen river boss). In order to solo them you must have a pet with strong.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    The other is in the Frozen River up by the Village of Shattered ice. It's the last in the chain of the TB quests which have you digging chests. The water boss is super-mean with a water AOE. My phoenix w/ Strong could tank it, but I needed a cleric healing me to counter the AOE. I think you can do it with pots/charm, but it takes a while to kill so you're gonna burn through a lot.

i killed tht thing on my veno when it was lvl 63 with my lvl 63 sawfly at the time i was at max distance with pet heal & didnt get hit with the aoe & only took me 1 hour 48 minutes to kill it(b:cry) was a pain in the but had a finger cramp after but i felt like such a prob:laughb:pleased
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle