Second best tank pet next to a herc?

pushmipullu
pushmipullu Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
I've heard all about the strength and power of a herc, but there is absolutely no way that I can spend that amount of time and money to get this kind of pet. I'm currently using a Shadou Cub as my main tank. I plan to lvl it to 80 and then get an armored bear, but I was wondering what kinds of other good tanks are out there for the poor, impoverished, hercless veno.
Post edited by pushmipullu on

Comments

• Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Along with the armored bear..there is Crystaline Magmite and Glacial Walker.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Just incase you dont feel like reading all that - its a ranged pet thats good for tanking ranged mobs/bosses/
  • khailen
    khailen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I sometimes help faction members with lower bh's and i'm wondering if using an eldergoth instead of a Glacial or Dark Wanderer would be less likely to steal aggro from the tank, or does it go by how much damage my pet does?

• Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    the flying piggy is a good tank pet too...and it's cute....and it fly!!! b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    You run into trouble (sometimes) using a BASIC flying piggy/bear/eldergoth due to them having somewhat lower damage than the magmite/walker variety (although they have a lot of other redeeming characteristics, to be sure). Lower damage means you can pull aggro more easily. You can add damage to your pets by adding extra "bash" skills (the elemental bashes i.e. icicle, I'm unsure if you can add a second Bash skill), and also (MUCH more expensive in the short term) adding the reflect skill that hercs have to add reflect aggro from melee mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blood_Panda - Raging Tide
    Blood_Panda - Raging Tide Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Personally big 4

Land Tank
    Glacier Walker --> (Herc)

Qingfu fully leveled and equip with skill might be just as good.. but then you might as well save for a herc.

Flying/PvP
    SawFly --> (Nix)

some might say flying pig is more powerful as a tank, but you will want to kill this fast..
    and you save yourself a slot for pvp pet.

Range Tank/Lure
    Eldergoth Marksman

Water Tank
    Celestial Plumpfish
    Build Aiming for : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=99d12b053ed06fe9
    Retired : pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a798089d5502e95b
    17k hp since level 92.. now @ 13k Hp on 100
  • Hypnos - Raging Tide
    Hypnos - Raging Tide Posts: 1,235 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ...for water tank...the turtle have better stats and can get at lower level then plumpfish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Level 67 is when the crossover point is for an abysmal turtle (or the other level 5 variants) to be better than a level 80 plumpfish. The problem is actually leveling a pet that much. The reason a plumpfish is recommended is it does the job of tanking every water mob you need except for one (which a turtle can't either) and saves you the trouble of leveling a water pet up.

Water pets are very much just a tame as you need them pet, a plumpfish just happens to be last on the list of water pets to tame.
  • pushmipullu
    pushmipullu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Well, I plan of getting a herc in the future, so I'm thinking about using a Glacial for the time being. but I'm wondering, should I bother to lvl with the walker or should I just stop playing the game completely until I can afford a herc?
  • Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary
    Ms_HopToIt - Sanctuary Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Well, I plan of getting a herc in the future, so I'm thinking about using a Glacial for the time being. but I'm wondering, should I bother to lvl with the walker or should I just stop playing the game completely until I can afford a herc?

I would say get the glacial for the time being, but if you want to get the herc with ingame coins, you'll need to play the game. On the other hand if you choose to quit completely until you can afford a herc, a RL job can pay for it in 2 weeks, probably even your at a minimum wage paying job. Either way, its your choice. If your patient enough, i'd say work for it in game, but if time isnt really on your side (say you cant play all day) then, id say paying for it with real money would be better.
    >.<
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    A Marksman will remain useful while any other pet won't.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    But a marksman isn't as useful when you don't (yet) have a herc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    The marksmen is not an all purpose pet >_>.

But what gets me is when it needs to use bash. It'll come out of its ranged attack to try and bash >_>.