Pet skill "slow" on bosses?

Zairi - Dreamweaver
Zairi - Dreamweaver Posts: 118 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
Hi,
so before i invest 900k on a pet skill i never saw in action and just guess its great:

Will the debuff from slow work on bosses like Culti, TT and FB bosses?
6 seconds duration and 10 sec cooldown with significant att speed down sounds fishy, im looking for the catch. :3
Post edited by Zairi - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Edyn - Dreamweaver
    Edyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I have no clue but its actually not a bad idea. Can use a tabby (thought it had the slowskill on as basicskills) and see what it says.
    Just wondering if it would actually work why not all veno's would putt it on their pet.
    Plz any1 who knows let us know im curious to now^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ty Silvychar b:thanks
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Hi,
    so before i invest 900k on a pet skill i never saw in action and just guess its great:

Will the debuff from slow work on bosses like Culti, TT and FB bosses?
    6 seconds duration and 10 sec cooldown with significant att speed down sounds fishy, im looking for the catch. :3

I dont think it will work as most bosses are immune to speed debuffs ,but slow would be a good investment (maxed lvl) together with tough for a luring pet (non range pets only)

Edit : u dont need to use AH for slow , buy it as zoologist
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Slow only affects movement speed not attack rate. The skill is useful for luring fast mobs or for kiters although i would strongly recommend against skilling it.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Yes - it only affects movement speed. It's still nice when luring.

But sadly, most bosses will resist the slow. Not all of them; but most.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Theoretically Slow is a great skill but in practice it's not.

It is be useful against mobs that have Increased Speed when you lure or in the case you steal aggro however most of the time luring occurs in instances where there should be a Barbarian or a Blademaster etc. to catch the mob and a Cleric to heal if you if get hit.
    Bosses are immune to speed/stun/freeze debuffs and that would be the main reason you'd want the Slow skill for but since it doesn't work there the skill becomes quite useless. This is why Slow is not very popular. If the pet comes with Slow, like the tabby, I wouldn't remove it (unless I need to add something else) but I wouldn't spend money to teach it.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Also, non-damaging debuffs cannot be used to lure. Your pet will debuff, you stow the pet, and the mob will just go back.

To lure with a debuff, you have to also have the pet damage a mob. So the pet would have to do something like run up, do regular attack (and hope it doesn't miss), wait attack delay, apply the slow debuff, then stow.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Good bit of info Solandri. I sometimes pull the triocs on the way to Zimo in 59 using slow so it's easier for the Barb to position them. They sometimes reset after the pull however, so i'm guessing this would be because a regular attack didn't hit. Will certainly ease my job a bit to take this into consideration.
  • Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver
    Squeakytoy - Dreamweaver Posts: 660 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Also, non-damaging debuffs cannot be used to lure. Your pet will debuff, you stow the pet, and the mob will just go back.

To lure with a debuff, you have to also have the pet damage a mob. So the pet would have to do something like run up, do regular attack (and hope it doesn't miss), wait attack delay, apply the slow debuff, then stow.

Even if the attack misses, it is still counted, and the monster will follow like it normally would. I have had this happen several times when luring with my marksman.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Even if the attack misses, it is still counted, and the monster will follow like it normally would. I have had this happen several times when luring with my marksman.

Incorrect. If the attack misses, 0 damage is done and you aren't put on the aggro list.
  • Zairi - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Ah thanks for the answers. Someone insisted it will also reduces attack speed... XD
    How about the other skills which debuff like Threaten, Howl and Pierce? Debuffing pet skills in general do they stick well on bosses? Sorry i have 0 experience with those on bosses my tanker doesnt have any and im not exactly often in instances with squads.^^;
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Threaten, Howl and Pierce should all work adequately. Personally i like to use Howl exactly after i've amped (the cooldown matches nicely) and Threaten is great for emergencies as it will provide with an option if you see the tank's hp becoming dangerously low. Pierce is also useful to keep the debuff up in case you may have missed Ironwood before going Fox, although it really is a skill better suited for Fox Venos. Although not a debuff, Shriek is also a skill you may want to consider as it will provide you with a valuable option to interrumpt some of the worst attacks.
  • Zairi - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Ah thanks. :3

Slightly off-topic but since my pet skills can reliable debuff bosses and i dont want to open a new thread:

I wanted to make my Dark Wanderer a supporting dps pet for dungeons which doesnt draw too much aggro. Since im a HA foxform Veno i left pierce on it cos id hate to switch back so much for Ironwood. I wont use my Pet too tank much in squads anyways, as HA fox im probably a better tank if there is no one else who can and a cleric. Letting my Pet tank while spam pet heal is not my fav way to play Veno^^;

Im not sure about Flesh Ream since i readed it draws alot of attention. Also i wanted to leave Roar on it. Better my pet dies then the Cleric (sry Sir Bogle XD). It has Tough but i would delete it for a debuff skill. I have no clue about the aggro if my pet circles between 2 debuffs (id go for Pierce and Threaten) and Flesh Ream.

Also im thinking to replace my GW Icicle with Threaten now. Itll have Bash, Tough, Roar and Threaten then. Im not sure if thats a good idea for him tanking bosses tho. XD
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Ream should draw less aggro than either Bash or the elemental attacks, although there may be times you may want to turn it off. As for the pet debuffs i have had little trouble using them against (?) bosses so i would mostly consider them safe, although a Wanderer's dps (i use a Tabby) may warrant some special consideration.

As for your Walker's skills, the setup you mention is what i would myself consider ideal for a PvE tank, so in my opinion you have made some very good choices. Tough and threaten should both greatly improve your pet's ressilience and survivability, Bash is the best way to hold aggro and Roar should ensure you an option in case things go wrong.
  • Yindra - Sanctuary
    Yindra - Sanctuary Posts: 784 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Incorrect. If the attack misses, 0 damage is done and you aren't put on the aggro list.

Hm... I wonder what the reasoning might be for this.

"Hey, he didn't even hit me, no need to get excited, I'm still on siesta and with some luck he won't be coming back anyway"?
    Slow progress, game is getting way too grindy :-( Quests I still hope to be able to do some day: FB39, General Feng
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Hm... I wonder what the reasoning might be for this.

"Hey, he didn't even hit me, no need to get excited, I'm still on siesta and with some luck he won't be coming back anyway"?
    Probably just sloppy programming. The "add pet's owner to aggro list" code should go into the aggro code (so if a pet gets aggro, pet's owner gets added to aggro list). Instead they stuck it in the damage received code, which created the side effect of letting venos pull singles. It was probably an accidental bug whose effect they liked so they kept it.

Another consequence of this is that you can use your pet to run past mobs without getting aggro. Works best with a herc because it can survive more hits without heals.
    • Summon herc and buff it, but no reflect. Put it on manual.
    • Send herc to attack mob
    • Stop herc just before it gets there.
    • Mob(s) aggros onto herc and starts attacking it.
    • Herc just stands there getting hit.
    • Hit Holy Path and run past mob, far enough so you'll be out of aggro range.
    • Stow herc.
    • Mob(s) resets.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Probably just sloppy programming. The "add pet's owner to aggro list" code should go into the aggro code (so if a pet gets aggro, pet's owner gets added to aggro list). Instead they stuck it in the damage received code, which created the side effect of letting venos pull singles. It was probably an accidental bug whose effect they liked so they kept it.

Another consequence of this is that you can use your pet to run past mobs without getting aggro. Works best with a herc because it can survive more hits without heals.
    • Summon herc and buff it, but no reflect. Put it on manual.
    • Send herc to attack mob
    • Stop herc just before it gets there.
    • Mob(s) aggros onto herc and starts attacking it.
    • Herc just stands there getting hit.
    • Hit Holy Path and run past mob, far enough so you'll be out of aggro range.
    • Stow herc.
    • Mob(s) resets.

That is genius. Now to figure out good places to use that idea. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    It's good for getting through FB51. I used to do that a lot back when I would run it solo for loot.