Why would we need new servers?

Options
Lutirica - Harshlands
Lutirica - Harshlands Posts: 1,437 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
Just look at it some servers have so few people there is like no one on why make new servers just to cut our numbers down even more?
Fail troll of harshlands
Post edited by Lutirica - Harshlands on

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Eventually they will need to shut down or merge servers, in all likelihood, a PVP server first.

I wouldn't try to make sensible why some would want a new PVP server despite the obvious lack of population on PVP servers. It's likely the want to be "the best" on a server with as little effort as possible.
  • Lutirica - Harshlands
    Lutirica - Harshlands Posts: 1,437 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    we have 2 pvp servers and alot of pve remove the pve's down to 2 to match us
    Fail troll of harshlands
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The PVE servers are doing fine, at least, way better than the PVP ones. Merge those despite more people playing them? That makes a lot of sense..

And if ppl QQ'd now about Lagosaur..
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    Borsuc - Raging Tide Posts: 1,526 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Quite simply, but the elite people won't ever listen to me even though I'm right (I proved it before), this game functions with the wrong "MMO system" so to speak. Servers age & it's becoming less fun for new people and the economy goes down with time. This is how games like PW work, because they are based on a faulty system. I won't go into detailing it again though, sorry.

There are plenty of games different than this who do not suffer from the "aging servers" problem and issue at hand.

So I'll just say, people want new servers because they hate the "aging servers" problem, but what they don't realize, they just want some temporary fix or to be THEM to not have the problem (ignoring other people who will complain AGAIN on the new server later on etc).

Instead of fixing the problem with the system they want new servers. This isn't a fix, it's an excuse. So I say no to a new server in all of these type of games -- let people see the real disastrous effects of a game suffering from the "aging" problem then they might enlighten up or something.

"Fresh start" is an excuse, not a fix. In a properly designed MMO a fresh start shouldn't be considered different or of any significance. I'm just saying. (and yes I *do* know examples, and I *do* know what it is to fix, but heck if I say again I'll get flamed not like I haven't in the past).

Even worse is when I try to offer suggestions to get rid of it I get flamed, go figure.
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Quite simply, but the elite people won't ever listen to me even though I'm right (I proved it before), this game functions with the wrong "MMO system" so to speak. Servers age & it's becoming less fun for new people and the economy goes down with time. This is how games like PW work, because they are based on a faulty system. I won't go into detailing it again though, sorry.

There are plenty of games different than this who do not suffer from the "aging servers" problem and issue at hand.

So I'll just say, people want new servers because they hate the "aging servers" problem, but what they don't realize, they just want some temporary fix or to be THEM to not have the problem (ignoring other people who will complain AGAIN on the new server later on etc).

Instead of fixing the problem with the system they want new servers. This isn't a fix, it's an excuse. So I say no to a new server in all of these type of games -- let people see the real disastrous effects of a game suffering from the "aging" problem then they might enlighten up or something.

"Fresh start" is an excuse, not a fix. In a properly designed MMO a fresh start shouldn't be considered different or of any significance. I'm just saying. (and yes I *do* know examples, and I *do* know what it is to fix, but heck if I say again I'll get flamed not like I haven't in the past).

Even worse is when I try to offer suggestions to get rid of it I get flamed, go figure.

People don't want reasoning and logic, they want more packs and a Fresh Start! There is no fix to a greedy Pay to Win economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We wouldn't because the game is dead.
  • Kateh - Dreamweaver
    Kateh - Dreamweaver Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Seems pwi has gotten themselfs some immature players who hold a grudge against the game for some dumb reasons b:chuckle
  • Swannx - Archosaur
    Swannx - Archosaur Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We need new servers so that everyone will hate on this game more so that we can all ragequit and move to Forsaken World, which is supposed to be the new and improved Perfect World. b:bye
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We would be better off with a merge than a new server.

But I can see why people would want a new PvP server, rerolling on one now means you need to compete with people who have already been farming gears, coins, levels for 1-2 years, must suck to have to compete with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    But I can see why people would want a new PvP server, rerolling on one now means you need to compete with people who have already been farming gears, coins, levels for 1-2 years, must suck to have to compete with them.
    That's one of the issues with the system that makes "aging servers" a problem with these types of MMOs.
  • Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    We need new servers so that everyone will hate on this game more so that we can all ragequit and move to Forsaken World, which is supposed to be the new and improved Perfect World. b:bye

What makes you think FW would be any different from PWI ? After all FW is an another upcoming game by PWE , I guarantee you it will be just the same ol' strategy as they used in PWI or any other game by PWE for that matter. Pay to WIN or GTFO...

P.S. Borsuc I would actually love to hear your solution to the problem.
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Personally I consider FW to be just another "fresh start" so to speak. It's like re-rolling a new server from scratch... b:surrender
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Swannx - Archosaur
    Swannx - Archosaur Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    What makes you think FW would be any different from PWI ? After all FW is an another upcoming game by PWE , I guarantee you it will be just the same ol' strategy as they used in PWI or any other game by PWE for that matter. Pay to WIN or GTFO...

Which is why I said it was "supposed" to be better than PWI. I don't know what the game is gonna be like, so don't call me out.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    They CANNOT merge severs. Because They would have to say: "Sorry guys but game is dying so we are forced to merge."
    They will never do that. It would mean less money and people panic.b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    They CANNOT merge severs. Because They would have to say: "Sorry guys but game is dying so we are forced to merge."
    They will never do that. It would mean less money and people panic.b:laugh

PW-CN and 2 other versions of PW have already server merged so the Dev team has already acknowledged game is dying, ijs. b:bye
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options

I will answer both. First, it does seem like FW will be at least a bit different and that they put some thought into the problems plaguing this one -- although I read everything was, of course, without a cash shop, so I have no idea how much pay to win it would be.

They seemed to consider a lot of stuff about the economy in FW (soul currency, aka coin drops, is untradeable and can only buy NPC stuff -- that is, coin sinks), item refining (you don't lose levels when you fail and the items needed are mob drops not boutique exclusive), and hopefully it won't have the broken charms (I saw some gameplay videos, fights last pretty long, with charms it would be impossible to take people down), etc.

Now for my idea, sorry but I won't go into details simply because I've done it I think twice already and ended up in flame wars. But I will summarize the system of MMO PWI is using and what's the problem with it. Keep in mind that what I say will feel radical, especially for people used to PWI... but it is nothing special or not done already, it's just people who think it's bad because it would be a huge change to PWI and will never happen (hence why I think it's pointless to post this, but I will on your request).

First of all, get rid of everything exclusive to the boutique that affects gameplay -- I don't know how many times A LOT of people and reviewers have been saying this. Examples are charms and refining aids and such.

One of the problems with the "high prices of gold" in the AH is that people WANT the gold in the first place because they NEED boutique items for GAMEPLAY and can't acquire them SOMEHOW ELSE in a REASONABLE manner. I have no problem with fashion being in the boutique only... or heck even all sorts of cool-looking mounts (but do give us a option for a 'free' mount with equal speed through in-game upgrades or whatever). No, almost no game has only an aesthetic-only cashshop but this game really crosses the line. (not just that but prices are insane too, esp. due to recursive refining formula). People wouldn't think the gold prices are high if they don't need the gold in the first place -- unless they want to buy some piece of fashion or something.

The problem with this is that people set gold prices high and that leads to huge amount of in-game work to achieve them. Reason? Obviously some people will be willing to have no-lives just to get that stuff for free. Ruining the game. It's based on player-decided effort (i.e player trade), not the game mechanics (i.e NPC trade) so it suffers from server aging.

Hypers are in the middle -- they don't affect gameplay, just your levelling pace. But please do not make it uber hard to level without hypers, that WILL deter people again. Hard work means servers will suffer from aging problem, time and time again has been proven.

So make everything farmable in-game directly (not by trading with other players), and make it a reasonable time frame to do so. By "reasonable" time-frame I do not mean months or years, that's what keeps new people off and want a new server. No one enjoys endless grinding, make it reasonably rewarding. One 1* D.orb per week for instance is total fail. The event gold you get from jungle ruins (max 5) is fail as well since it's only once per week. Make the game EASIER in this aspect but MORE CHALLENGING/DIFFICULT to do things (jungle ruins ain't exactly unchallenging btw).

One example of a fail is one-man armies. Everyone knows it's better to just get coins and buy tokens for rep. The grinding process itself is what should be easier, achieveable and more fun for people to do -- not to rely on trading for cash shop items. This is an example of an UNREASONABLE reward and effort required to reach it without cash shop stuff. I don't care what people think that I want everything on a silver platter -- it's just the truth. These types of systems will ALWAYS suffer from server aging simply because of this.

Easy to farm guarantees more people are happy, and they focus on their skills more than their epeen or gear. It also eliminates a lot of the aging servers problem: if getting to endgame is reasonable, not hard to get like in months and months of hard work, and getting goals is reasonably as well and easy... people won't complain others are so high level or that they are old timers and want a new server for equal ground... it's easy to get so they can get there fast. No reason to complain. You see how this eliminates part of the problem?

Another example of not-easy-to-farm are the chip prices. They are specifically set high if you don't want to farm for mats. It would take weeks to farm that coin (farming coin directly btw, not selling stuff to other players to get coin) so you get coin influx then coin sink (imagine FW's non-tradeable coin currency, you will see why I am excluding trading with other players). It is insane. Make stuff easy to get and ppl won't complain about others being overpowered or having the old-timer advantage. New players will be eager to play even if others pwn them -- hey it's only 1-2 months until you get competitive to get stuff comparable! But when it's 1-2 years... they quit or demand new server and that's a problem.

In short, it's a game, people forget that. Make it casual, non-grindfest, easy to farm EVERYTHING (including no cash shop exclusive items that), do not rely on player trade... and you eliminate 90% of the problems that plague MMOs like this. There are others but these are the main culprits and issues one has to deal with.

It does sound a bit like a private server, although still keeping business perspective with ranking achievements and such -- not stuff that overpower you b:chuckle

One of the prime examples is a game that is about guilds and wars in the title. Very easy to reach level cap, extremely competitive and hard to master, and "achievements" you get are usually titles, looks, and such... not a +50% attack weapon that will overpower you! Or an armor making you invincible to anyone but those who started from the same day as you and worked for months like you... that is NO fun, NOT competitive, and ruins the server.

It doesn't have a cashshop since it's buy-to-play, but I didn't say it has to be exactly perfect like that... just not so MANY problems into one game. I outlined maybe 3-4 problems... you can have 1 is np but not so many clugged into one game system.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    stuff

Forsaken World is just another iteration of PW with elements of all of their newer games combined.

Forsaken World uses the Angelica engine... it's the same engine used by Perfect World, Jade Dynasty and Ether Saga Online.

Press coverage for Battle of Immortals stated how they realized Pay 2 Win was something customers hated and would never make it to their cash shop. Gambling Packs were introduced into their cash shop a month after the game's release.

There will be some interesting new features, but it's still mostly going to be the same as Perfect World, much like Jade Dynasty or ESO is. The same hacks, glitches and bugs will most likely still exist in this new game as well.

Forsaken World looks like a cheap combination of A**A Online and Scooby Doo. If you don't believe that (and pay special attention to battle mechanics, game interface, polygon counts, 2d leaf/grass sprites, etc) watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MzbIbW1VA0

So, the developers who are responsible for the Tideborn Expansion were given the gren light to rework the whole world. Nice try but FW is just another Perfect World game clone with slightly reworked (but really not improved) graphical elements and a few added newer 'features' to disguise the fact the engine is going on 6 years old.

In fact there will be far less character customization and it's not widely known if there will be fashion or not. That will cut half of the people who play PW from even staying there. All the girls will miss their fashion. Count on it.

There will be a cash shop and a gold trader, and there will be packs. And of course, PWI will cater to those who will be willing to spend thousands of dollars in the game to completely break game balance. That's their profit model. You're an idiot if you think anything will change.

Borsuc, you should like it, it will most likely be far easier than Perfect World. They don't want long term players, they want people who will desire to cash shop a small fortune in 3-6 months, so expect the turnover rate to be higher than Perfect World... especially to many of the people who will leave for it, then realize a month later it doesn't really offer anything significant over PW... and when they come back they'll see PW more likely even worse off than it is now.

So, all the questions about when a new PW server will go online? It's going to be called Forsaken World.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

There will be a cash shop and a gold trader, and there will be packs. And of course, PWI will cater to those who will be willing to spend thousands of dollars in the game to completely break game balance. That's their profit model. You're an idiot if you think anything will change.

This is soooooooooo TRUE about FW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The PVE servers are doing fine, at least, way better than the PVP ones. Merge those despite more people playing them? That makes a lot of sense..

And if ppl QQ'd now about Lagosaur..
    if i judge the number of players just looking at west arch some pve servers have really less players while pvp servers are packed at west arch
  • Borsuc - Raging Tide
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm not really concerned about graphical engine at all :P And while it has many of PWI's faults, pretty obviously, it does seem like they rethought a bit how to solve some problems (untradeable coin influx is one example).

I have no problem with gold trader at all just don't make people rely on it for gameplay because the alternative sucks or doesn't exist at all. In fact gold trading is a very useful asset but as we know when it's a necessity to compete, that makes stuff "ugly" (and demand too).

I never said FW is gonna be what I proposed lol. But at least it won't have all the problems of PWI... doesn't mean it won't be a fail, just a bit less of a fail.

But well GW2 is so far ahead b:sad
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I don't think the problem is intrinsic to gold price being determined by markets. Michael is right in that the f2p model (not just PW's) does depend on a certain imbalance. However how tolerable conditions are made for the larger part of the player base really is the key to these games becoming capable of sustaining a sufficient population.

Yes, asking for more servers is moronic. Especially PvP which has long been proven not to be a popular model amongst Western gamers. PW's model does not age well, although i think mismanagement is more to blame than game design. The game remains playable however, and enjoyable. To those claiming the game is dead i would suggest they try to find a new one. Go back to you know where if you want assurances you'll be playing the same char 5 years down the line, MMOs have a life cycle and i swear sometimes the demands of some people are beyond ridiculous...

Trust me, it won't be a matter of debate wether the game is dying when it actually does go down. We'll all know when it's over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VzLn6DMCE&ob=av2e
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options

Wait wait wait wait...

PWI is getting a zombie island? Are they going to introduce Holy and Dark magic elements to!

b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Daikataro - Dreamweaver
    Daikataro - Dreamweaver Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    In my opinion, the introduction of the archosaur server was WAY too hasty, for raging tides was like two, maybe three months old? plus the big population was never a problem on other servers even before the introduction of RT and archo, inflation and economy crackdown started with anni packs, and has gotten worse ever since

My guess? new server = cash for PWE, why? here's my reasoning:

-They open a fresh, new server at the same time a new race and new classes are introduced
    -Coincidentally, oracles are for sale on the boutique
    -Every single cash shopper (or oracle baby) purchases 324894275839479132409132 oracles to get from 1 to 80 that day, racing to be the first one there, then run around having no f-kin idea of how to play their class
    -Since they suck at their class, they have to purchase uber gear to make up for their lack of skill, where they get that? yeah duh, packs! anything a lvl 80+ could want can be gotten from those things, and the few equips that don't can be purchased with the cash the 10m big notes give
    -OFC that gear needs refining so what they do? d-orb sale!

Plain and simple, my opinion is that they opened new servers to get money, just for that, i am willing to bet my gorenox vanity to the fact that within the first two hours of the server they made enough money from cash shop to pay for the server's upkeep for a whole year
    Originally Posted by frankieraye: To say that would be a lie, because in regards to the DQ problem, it's something that we're honestly still working on, and something that we believe we can fix.

(8)Don't stop! believing! hold onto that feeling!(8)