Thinking of making an archer

Options
XDarkJessX - Lost City
XDarkJessX - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Archer
So im kinda bored with my other characters atm and i was thinkign Why Not Make An Archer! so i made her...pure build and hit level 20 got the trial crossbow and love it but the thing is i idk how she will be at higher level if she will be any good at all what she can do is she gunna bea good PK person idk yet... non cash shopper here xD my bf plays a sin he's about to hit 97(told him if he hits level 100 ill MURDER him) wondering if an archer gets to see a lot of frost/nirvana and would an archer be a good PvP combo with my sin bf just a few questionsi hate running through my mind atm xD any commemnts or answers would be nice

*sprays troll away*

*sprays MagicHamsta away*b:cute
Post edited by XDarkJessX - Lost City on

Comments

• XDarkJessX - Lost City
    XDarkJessX - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    mabye ill just roll a fishy and be a psy mabye there good combo with sins :O any imput? xD
  • PaleHorse - Lost City
    PaleHorse - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    mabye ill just roll a fishy and be a psy mabye there good combo with sins :O any imput? xD

psychics and sins make good combos for both pve and pvp. i have both (Assassin - PaleHorse, Psychic - CrowPrince) and i like being teamed up with either a psychic or and assassin
  • Katozuma - Raging Tide
    Katozuma - Raging Tide Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Archers are ok but once it 90s about every other class is running right pass them.
    frost- yes archers are somewhat need but then again we can be replace with a sin/wizzy ( : ( ).
    You will hate doing hands especially when one isnt killed fast enough/lag

Nirvana-im clueless about havent done those yet

-things i love about archers-
    3 different types of range weapons
    range of course
    Endless AOE(its not endless just can keep going unless ur mp runs out or mob(s) die)
    Wings at lvl 1 no w8ing till lvl 30 for me
    others stuff i cant remember
    Robe killers(excluding psychics of course)

-things i hate about archers-
    50% dmg reduction if person/mob is within 5m of you (you will have to learn to deal with this one)
    low pdef
    Low hp(hp gems can help increase this)
    Holy pathing from a bm(IT WON'T WORK) try it too many times either raven or link would be right behind me argh i hate BMs
    To me it seems like every other class get more skills than us(not really a hate, just i want more skills )

-Things i hate seeing other archers do-
    HA(Heavy Armor)-requires more str and less dex basically the person done **** their dmg system up
    AA(Arcane Armor)-archers arent wizzies,venos,psychics or clerics
    using melee weapons(excluding fist/claws)- I dont understand when i go to plumes I see archers running around with dual hammers or axes or poles it drives me crazy.

-Things i love to see-
    Archer tanking boss(es) Yea!!! we can be tanks too XD...jking
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The good thing about rolling an archer and thinking of a sin is -- minus the rank/other non-account-stash **** (not getting this right away would be a solution) you can always switch over and keep your stuff, bound or not, thanks to the account stash. Having both classes and playing with both in every instance in the game I can say that ultimately it depends on which instances you prefer to be more useful in.

The ranged weapon thing is a wash since both can do single target ranged attacks, though early levels a sin will do better because of the aforementioned half dmg issue when mobs get too close -- archers get stuns and paralyzes and knockbacks to help prevent this though. The main reason to play archer over a sin is usefulness for aoe'ing. In RB, a sin cannot ever replace an archer, as their aoe's are way too slow, while the archer's BOA is, amongst DD classes, 3rd, behind psychics and wizards, and obviously well above veno and sin. Having STA is useful for TT or those RB bosses if you don't have a BM with fists/claws (and axes of course), but so many nub archers use it in frost -- it's useful only for bosses/mobs that don't give good xp. Plus, more people will love you for warsong metal, though one instance surely, alone, shouldn't be sufficient for playing a class.

Where the sin would out-do the archer is DPS on single target bosses. If you wanna end up tanking many high-end BH's or nirvana bosses go really high APS on a sin and it can utterly destroy ****. Plus, in every instance except RB, you'll be highly useful and especially in frost and lower end BH's with phys mobs/bosses (like BH51) people will love having a sin. This character will perform in COA, as well, way better with higher APS, and self buff, of course, and in PK/cube. From what I saw in TW, though, sins get eaten up quite a bit by archers, wizards, venos, and BM's so if that is your focus archer is a better choice as sins are more for single target pvp.

Of course some will disagree but that's my observation.
  • Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Holy pathing from a bm(IT WON'T WORK) try it too many times either raven or link would be right behind me argh i hate BMs

Pshh, be glad Holy Path exists. Archers had to kite BM without it.
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    don't
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
  • Gryphyyn - Heavens Tear
    Gryphyyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    So im kinda bored with my other characters atm and i was thinkign Why Not Make An Archer! so i made her...pure build and hit level 20 got the trial crossbow and love it but the thing is i idk how she will be at higher level if she will be any good at all what she can do is she gunna bea good PK person idk yet... non cash shopper here xD my bf plays a sin he's about to hit 97(told him if he hits level 100 ill MURDER him) wondering if an archer gets to see a lot of frost/nirvana and would an archer be a good PvP combo with my sin bf just a few questionsi hate running through my mind atm xD any commemnts or answers would be nice

*sprays troll away*

*sprays MagicHamsta away*b:cute

Selecting an archer for an archer (yourself) + sin (bf) combo is very effective with regards to pking, IMHO (I see you are on a PVP server). I say this because as long as you remain out of sight, you can stun/debuff the prey while your bf can silently attack or finish them. The quiet and ranged attacks of an archer are very useful if utilized this way in combination with a sin's stealth attacks (similar tactics are used during TW's). Whereas, if you used a psychic, in place of an archer, although a very powerful class, has many flashy AOE's which could give away your position to other pkers on the hunt as well (this is just what I've seen from my observation only).

The quality of a high-end archer, really depends on how well you persisted and learned to play that character class. You should continue as a pure archer and then invest in quality equipment as you gain more experience with the character-class. Also, if you can utilize 90% of the skills provided to you in various situations, you are well on your way to becoming a good archer. I say this because from what I've observed on my server at least, is most archers just rely on a few handful of skills, while neglecting other ones. There is a time and place for most of the archer skills we have, and most are useful if applied appropriately. Some of the more important skills to note, however, are Wings of Protection (has an evasion buff + speed buff - which will help speed up your squad, especially effective for healers and psychics as they will thank you for the added quickness), Barrage of Arrows (BoA) (will help you in instances where mobs are scattered and with a good tank (barb/bm) you can setup zhen-style attacks on the mobs after they are collected into a group; this will greatly reduce your time in instances), Sharpened Tooth Arrow (STA) (will reduce the boss/mob's HP by the given percentage based on skill level, and can greatly speed up the kill(s)), Elven Alacrity (79 skill) (basically you can cast holy path on an squad member - reserve for emergenices; I've been thanked by numerous healers for that skill as it saved them and the squad from disasters; I'm sure you could utilize this in a pk setting too b:chuckle).

Regarding specific instances, FF/Nirvana, have room(s) of hands which you, as the archer may be required to kill, while the rest of the squad focuses on the boss. The hands are actually pretty easy, as they can be one-shot killed; it only requires a bit of concentration to get the timing down. I've done too many of these in FF (yet to do for Nirvana) but 99% of the time all went smooth. If you get good at these, you will definitely be called to the squad for FF/Nirvana just for these rooms alone, since most people avoid these things like the plague. The squads will thank you for having the instance run so smoothly. b:victory

P.S. I am a non-cashshopper as well, so all of the views above were made from that perspective only.

In any case, have fun with whichever character-class you choose!

-Gryphyyn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Karma | ex-GoldDigrz | ex-xWaRx | ex-Reunited | ex-Tao
    Gryphyyn (10x Archer) | Tyyphoon (10x Assassin) | Ryyft (8x Seeker)

Fearless. | karmapwi.com
  • PaperShow - Heavens Tear
    PaperShow - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    im an archer and i have an healer i love playing as the healer much more :D there just more fun to me
  • Ignathas - Sanctuary
    Ignathas - Sanctuary Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    depends what you like.. i love DD, and here i like archers and sins (hate how sins look).. in all games i was either sin or archer, and in here i am also an archer, also got sin lvl 20some but he c an't fly so w.e and i dont wanna invest once again my precious time i waste for learning new language and driving a forklift, also i work zz :> so for me 1 char is more then enough..
    1. archers have cool pointy ears
    2. they are elves
    3. their bow looks awesome
    4. they live in trees
    5. they protect nature
    6. they have wings
    7. their genies love them
    8. they can be invulnerable to dmg quite often
    9. they run faster
    10. they kite
    11. they dance and sing
    12. they lough alot
    13. they shoot only the bad guys
    14. clerics like them
    15. everyone likes them
    16. bad guys fear them
    17. etc :)

they have 1 disadvantage however:
    they are not fluffy b:shocked
  • ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear
    ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i rolled this archer like a week ago..took 2 years to make one so i finally did.Im enjoying the fast kills at range since i been playing bm,barb,playing range gives me a break.If sins didnt look so damn awkward i prob would play one but they lack character and are basicly one sided and limited.

Everything i did in my first 20 lvls and a lil beyond was without armorb:pleased

fast attack rates
    high crits
    speed
    can also own in air

pfft archers pwn..duces down to sins.