Thinking of switching to Demon

Options
Knownase - Heavens Tear
Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Barbarian
Ok, well, I have been thinking of going Demon lately.

So before researching into it more, I wanted some opinions about Demon.

If I do go Demon, I will have this http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/12205 + Demon HP Buff before switching.

My current reasons for switching:

-Demon seems to have nice DD power. I am more into DDing than tanking as a Sage Barb anyways lol.
-Claw Barb build is less expensive as Demon for getting 4.0/5.0 aps.
-The crit rates.
-Something new to try out.

However, I have been a Sage Barb for a while, and I do have loads of skills learned already, sage skills that is, I don't want to regret switching, to lose those skills.

So my main question is, how does it feel to be a Demon Barb? lol

If you were once a Sage Barb, but recently swap to Demon, what were your reasons?

If you were once a Demon Barb, but recently swap to Sage, what were your reasons?

Discuss!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
-Certified Barbarian Master-
-You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
-Master of Coffee-
Post edited by Knownase - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Cybetron - Raging Tide
    Cybetron - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why change your char to demon? Instead make a new one and level it and go demon, like I did.. Leveling is real easy nowadays, you've already rolled a new barb on RT. I am not discouraging you or anything, but I felt that having another character with the demon path was better. I used to get on both, sage to pull cata (got bored of it) and demon to have fun with crits and good damage.

Demon is a bit more versatile than sage, that's what I found. Sage definitely can survive better; I felt more comfortable tanking WBs with sage than demon (just my opinion).

The advanced myst page exchange is just wonderful don't you think b:dirty
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Why change your char to demon? Instead make a new one and level it and go demon, like I did.. Leveling is real easy nowadays, you've already rolled a new barb on RT. I am not discouraging you or anything, but I felt that having another character with the demon path was better. I used to get on both, sage to pull cata (got bored of it) and demon to have fun with crits and good damage.

Demon is a bit more versatile than sage, that's what I found. Sage definitely can survive better; I felt more comfortable tanking WBs with sage than demon (just my opinion).

The advanced myst page exchange is just wonderful don't you think b:dirty

Hmm, thats not a bad idea, just making a new char, but as for going Demon on RT....

I need to fund money from scratch, and that takes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr as the non-cashshopper I am.

As for cata-pulling, I'm currently retired from the TW scene on HT, but into the PK scene now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Cybetron makes a good point, but I suppose it all comes down to time vs cost. Re-stat + culti swap is more expensive, but a lot quicker. On the other hand, a re-roll would give you two barbs. The cost of swapping + adding the new skills might close to the cost of getting to 4.0 aps w sage?

Anyway,I can tell you that a demon axe barb with the right skills (demon self buffs + demon BO) and zerk axes can out DD bow/xbow archers with similar equipment grade/refinements. I just thought I'd throw that in there as I know u like to tank in human form whenever possible. b:pleased

Demon: love the crit, hate the chi.
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Cybetron makes a good point, but I suppose it all comes down to time vs cost. Re-stat + culti swap is more expensive, but a lot quicker. On the other hand, a re-roll would give you two barbs. The cost of swapping + adding the new skills might close to the cost of getting to 4.0 aps w sage?

Anyway,I can tell you that a demon axe barb with the right skills (demon self buffs + demon BO) and zerk axes can out DD bow/xbow archers with similar equipment grade/refinements. I just thought I'd throw that in there as I know u like to tank in human form whenever possible. b:pleased

Demon: love the crit, hate the chi.

Well, the current plan was to just go Demon and stay a normal Demon Barb, then eventually, re-stat to a claw build.

I just want to know how it is like being a normal Demon Barb, with Demon skills. The claw concept is just a side thing. With "rumors" of claws being restricted, I didn't want to be screwed over, so if anything, I can still enjoy being a Demon Barb, if I chose to try it.

As for a 4.0 aps Sage Build, I need Nirvana leggings and -int tome, along the usual -int gear most claw users have.

Thats.....expensive. b:faint

And yes, the excessive crit rates and DD power sounds amazing. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • Chronobarok - Raging Tide
    Chronobarok - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Interesting.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    the only question i can answer atm is:
    So my main question is, how does it feel to be a Demon Barb? lol

well...i just got demon cultivation done but i think i can share a lil exp for demon path

i couldnt be more satisfied by my choice cuz i always wanted to balance out my barb

the no dmg reduction in tiger is awesome (stealing aggro by a herc just by autoattacking with no -int)

flesh ream lowered cooldown is very helpful nowadays that those stupid -int char are overflowing

devour debuff last 15 sec!!!! you can triple spark after a devour and get the full benefit out of it

not to mention the damage reflection with roar which combined with sunder makes every attack a critic dealt and reflected b:dirty (have to try it out yet b:shutup)

frighten can be an untamed wrath but for tiger form and this can be very usefull in FCC and mass aoe fights

for human u gain a nice spammable no-miss skill with stomp of beast king

then if u use combination of penetrate + onslaught + arma you can be sure of erase everything in a 12 meter range...grass apart

these are the main reason i AM demon, and im still young...with all the collection of books u have you will really shine as you switch to demon

and for those that doesnt know why penetrate has to be used before bestial and arma just try it out by yourself, land a penetrate and is just magic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Cybetron - Raging Tide
    Cybetron - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Gohral, you've been supporting Demon barbs since I started on HL and you were 7x back then (if I remember correctly). I am so very glad that you started treading on your desired path.

Some of the arguments that you posted in the early threads (related to Demon B.O, Arma and what not) made me go Demon and test all of them. Most of them proved to be accurate. So my gratitude towards you b:thanks
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Gohral, you've been supporting Demon barbs since I started on HL and you were 7x back then (if I remember correctly). I am so very glad that you started treading on your desired path.

Some of the arguments that you posted in the early threads (related to Demon B.O, Arma and what not) made me go Demon and test all of them. Most of them proved to be accurate. So my gratitude towards you b:thanks

Thank you very much, you make me b:cute

If i hadn't had an EIGHT MONTH break from game i would be much higher and maybe i would have achieved more skill to try...(but still brokeb:surrender)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Started out pure VIT demon barb, restat to claw demon barb at higher 9x.

As long as your gear is good you'll still have plenty of HP.

Accuracy won't be a problem

The crit rate is great, I have 18% base crit rate, 20% when I get demon axe and hammer mastery. Combine that with demon onslaught I'll be looking at a 55% crit rate.

The claw build is great for farming, you'll find yourself in a lot more nirvana squads, CoA squads, TT squads, etc. Plus it can be great for PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Awesome, thx for the thoughts and opinions. I am actually excited to go Demon too. Loooking forward to the damage and crits. b:victory

Sage was fun, but with the current things this game has now, Sage isn't as appealing to me anymore.

I am currently working on the funds for loads of Demon skills when I switch. Earliest I will switch will probably be in 2 weeks. b:surrender

Also, do the crit rates stack, like say if I use Demon Str of Titans and then use Bestial Onslaught?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    From what i've seen from barb friends...

the demon's titan buff gives you a icon that ressemble a cloud if i remember well, but i dunno if it shows in the char window

for the stacking part i dont think there's any problem, they stack b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

>RETIRED<
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Demon FTW.

I went high dex early (62 base) for the crit, and went demon for the full dmg in tiger form.

Demon true form, BO (35% crit for 6 sec), demon axe & hammer (2%), demon sunder (all crits for 5 sec) and demon arma (!).

I'm still in TT90 green armor, and GX's and can still hold aggro from 10x wizzies and BM's -most of 'em.

I'm sure your armor will make up for most of the HP loss of Demon, and the damage is just nuts.

RedMenace

\294k crits on TT mobs with arma/HF
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Indeed, Demon is looking more and more appealing daily. lol

I currently have 100 dex and maintaining decent HP with most of my TT99 at +5, and the TT99 bonus helps alot.

Now the main problem is....

...need to find someone selling Demon HP Buff. b:cold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    On Sanct, I know a barb that is a huge CSer and after getting beat up by demon barb he went demon too.

I also know some other barbs that converted to demon, but I don't know any barbs that have changed to sage.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
    edited August 2010
    Options
    On Sanct, I know a barb that is a huge CSer and after getting beat up by demon barb he went demon too.

I also know some other barbs that converted to demon, but I don't know any barbs that have changed to sage.

I know loads of Barbs and BMs that swapped to Demon, I have yet to meet a Barb to swap from Demon to Sage.

Personally, I never fell for the trend, at first....

When I chose Sage, my main reasons was because of the HP boost and Sage Axe Hammer Mastery. They were very nice. At the time, I wasn't really into PKing, I was a cata-barb at best.

Now, Sage isnt cutting it anymore. It would seem that with all the gear anni packs bought, a crit can determine winning or losing.

HP can be made up with vit stones now as well, so Sage isnt a huge deal in terms of HP to me. Plus I don't tank anymore. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well, I finally swapped to Demon with about 17 skillbooks.

My first impressions...

I absolutely don't regret the change. I am indeed loving the crit rate boosts. My HP didn't suffer all that much. I still maintain my 19K HP-ness in Tiger Form.

Demon Sunder is sooo awesome and using Arma right after it is soooo nice. Was very fortunate to get that in a lucky Page of Fate gamble.

Demon HP Buff is amazing. It solves the chi issue imo, just sit there and buff with it until chi is full.

Demon Bloodbath takes more HP away than Sage, but a simple restat of my dex from 100 to 80 fixed the HP loss. So I maintain almost the same amount of acc as I did Sage, plus I have more HP now than I did Sage in Human Form.

I do notice that my atk range is lower, since Sage Str buff give 50% more atk, Sage Mastery gave 100% more atk, but nonetheless, I still like the Demon versions. That atk pwr loss can be made up easily with Jones' Blessing, Tidal Wafers and massive crit rates.

All-in-all, it was worth the money....was alot of money too. >.<

I have no regrets, just getting used to it now.

sorry for double post and almost necro. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    get your demon onslaught and kick butt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
  • Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide
    Fuzzy_Wuzzy - Raging Tide Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well, I finally swapped to Demon... ...I have no regrets, just getting used to it now.

Welcome to the demon side Knownase! Its where every true barb belongs, at least Fuzzy think so. b:victory

If you can afford to (or havn't yet) might not be a bad idea to restat a bit of vit into str an dex, especially since you switch over from sage. A misconception me thinks is that barbs need 20+k hp to be a successful demon. Or even a successful sage for that matter. But, if we can reach 18k tiger as demon, we gonna kick some ***. There is nothing. from delta, to world boss,to 3-3 that an 18k demon cant do just as well as a 25k sage. Just make sure you run with a trusted cleric an there ain't nothin we can't tank.

Fuzzy hear other barbs talk about how sage arma be the end of the universe when they crit, which is true. As demon, arma not hit maybe so much, but thinking of the cirt advantage to so many other skills, you can deal much more damage quicker as a demon.

Build your defence, refine what u can, shard what is possible. Combine all that with a touch of skill and a half-assed genie, a demon barb gonna tear his way through anything and anyone while still being able to withstand 5v1.

....anyway, Fuzzy rambling b:surrender

It excellent to have barb brothers like Knownase to talk to on forum, an welcome to the true path for a barb!

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • __Tanker__ - Raging Tide
    __Tanker__ - Raging Tide Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    the reason i play barb cause of tanking so i'll do anything to make it better, vit build + sage ftw.
  • Bartack - Heavens Tear
    Bartack - Heavens Tear Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Welcome to the demon side Knownase! Its where every true barb belongs, at least Fuzzy think so. b:victory

If you can afford to (or havn't yet) might not be a bad idea to restat a bit of vit into str an dex, especially since you switch over from sage. A misconception me thinks is that barbs need 20+k hp to be a successful demon. Or even a successful sage for that matter. But, if we can reach 18k tiger as demon, we gonna kick some ***. There is nothing. from delta, to world boss,to 3-3 that an 18k demon cant do just as well as a 25k sage. Just make sure you run with a trusted cleric an there ain't nothin we can't tank.

Fuzzy hear other barbs talk about how sage arma be the end of the universe when they crit, which is true. As demon, arma not hit maybe so much, but thinking of the cirt advantage to so many other skills, you can deal much more damage quicker as a demon.

Build your defence, refine what u can, shard what is possible. Combine all that with a touch of skill and a half-assed genie, a demon barb gonna tear his way through anything and anyone while still being able to withstand 5v1.

....anyway, Fuzzy rambling b:surrender

It excellent to have barb brothers like Knownase to talk to on forum, an welcome to the true path for a barb!

b:cute

Wait, fuzzy, u do know that hp per hp demon arma hits 10% harder than sage, right? It may SEEM the other way around sometimes because sage barbs generally tend to focus more on hp than demon barbs do, but in the end arma is humanoid form skill, and neither culti has an hp advantage in humanoid.
    edited September 2010
    Options
    get your demon onslaught and kick butt

I completely forgot to mention Demon Onslaught. I am in love with that skill.....
    b:dirtyb:bored
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Master of Coffee-
  • X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm scared of fluffies with demon sunder and a big axe.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Sage Titans has more damage, but I do believe Demon Poison Fangs give more damage than Sage. So it somewhat makes up for it as far as the barb himself is concerned.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I really do need to get more demon skills, money is way too tight.

But I have demon onslaught, got it from a random skill book, the skill is absolutely amazing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."