Does invoke keep aggro?

phanata
phanata Posts: 2 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Barbarian
Lately I've been hearing that invoke is a better aggro keeper than roar is. Someone told me that it only works if you invoke then don't attack after. Can someone clarify this for me? I tried it on my barb and it failed to work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm here.
Post edited by phanata on

Comments

• _Inferno - Sanctuary
    _Inferno - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I wanna know this too... Its weird D:<
    Characters:
    _Inferno 101 Arcane Sage Crit Wizard b:cool
    magnumcroft 8x Fist/Axe Blademaster b:laugh

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    lolwut?

Invoke isn't an aggro skill, its a defense mechanism. However, i've had the oddity of being on Wurlord when the cleric got one hit through BB so after hitting with alacrity I used invoke to save my butt then i just used normal attacks and somehow managed to hold aggro against the blademasters that decided it was a good idea to start attacking while the cleric was dead o.0

roar is not an aggro holding skill though, it an aggro reset skill. If you want to hold aggro - use flesh ream.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • _Inferno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Well the thing is, me and phanata's barb tested this out...

She pulled a group or mobs and used invoke, without hitting any of them. Then i started DB on them. # hits of DB later only did i steal aggro from her.

If it helps her barb is 90 =P
    Characters:

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Did she have a venos reflect on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Well that's different. :o
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Never heard this before. Makes very little sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Pint - Dreamweaver
    Pint - Dreamweaver Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Yea this seems off, never heard of it either. Only thing i can think of is if you use invoke and you have proximity aggro might be what you noticing.

I cant imagine any aggro ability thats tied to invoke. FR is still our number one aggro skill. Wish it was stronger but what can ya do lol
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    its not an aggro holder.

took a barb into ff and he was in his 80's...never even learned the damn skill what a fail.
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Asmodiel - Heavens Tear
    Asmodiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,442 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    its not an aggro holder.

took a barb into ff and he was in his 80's...never even learned the damn skill what a fail.

That's what they call...Scarlet Fruit -> 30, Oracles -> 80, FF -> 100 b:chuckle Legions of nubs b:laugh
    "One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is ... the ability to direct one's whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Basingeth - Lost City
    Basingeth - Lost City Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Invoke does no aggro building/addition/etc.

Roar is an aggro move, but it resets it and aggro is easily taken directly after it.

Flesh ream is the main aggro move. Don't let anyone lie to you. b:bye
  • _Inferno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Wow so many replies...

Well the barb didn't have reflect. And my DB is maxed. I agree that it might be proximity aggro, since the mobs we were testing on did that. But I didn't know it took 2-3 DB hits to steal aggro (My DB is maxed, with sage fire mastery D:).

I might take another look into this. Its been bugging the OP (who's asleep) a lot, since it changes everything about aggro-holding she knows if this is true.

But I'll take it as proximity aggro for now. Thanks for the replies guys! =D
    Characters:

youtube.com/magnumcroft
    ^Sanctuary's TW vids yo!
  • phanata
    phanata Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Yes. Thank you all for your replies. I had a faction mate say that they had never roared in fcc and that invoke was the aggro holder and that is what started me on this quest to figure this out. There was actually another member of the faction who claims to never use roar on their barb in gamma until about stage 5. This has bugged me since.

As _Inferno previously stated, we tested this last night and I still haven't quite figured out how they do it. I suggested it was bramble, but the gamma barb claims to never take a veno so I am definitely confused. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm here.
  • OMarvelous - Sanctuary
    OMarvelous - Sanctuary Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I think you're over analyzing. It could be any number of things.
  • TwiztidPain - Harshlands
    TwiztidPain - Harshlands Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Invoke acts like a bramble hood for a veno just with out reflecting damage. When a barb agros a group of mobs the agro will be on him. Proper way to do it is invoke, bestial rage and then roar gaining back any agro that he lost. The lower lvl of the roar the less change you have to gain it back. Invoke in no way helps you hold it just reduces the damage that you take for a temp. amount of time. Flesh realm is the only way you can hold agro from another player *note* if the player is to high and crits a lot aka sin or archer you may not be able to keep agro from him if your to low haha. Just keep in mind invoke pluse roar only works so much only agro skill in that combo is roar and its just to put agro on you if your running a group of mobs into a clerics bb after a bm has stun. That is mainly found in gv/fc. b:bye
  • KibblesnBitz - Sanctuary
    KibblesnBitz - Sanctuary Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    This is off topic but... speaking of barbs who never learn Invoke:

Let's call the barb, Mr. Blue. I'm FishBitz. This was during a BH69 Pyrosteosis.

2zfmjx1.jpg

2ziwyhf.jpg

Yeah the cleric was using ironheart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enelysion Executor
    Proud She-Barb
    b:cute