elemental damage explanation

Xalious - Dreamweaver
Xalious - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
hi all..
can someone explain or point to the thread where it explains the elemental damage/resistance ..

i mean how can i know which element attack (spell) to use with mob (X)

i notice that ants are hammered by stones more that centipedes for example, and gush causes less damaged on some where it hammers others of the same level

thanks..
Post edited by Xalious - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ...water -> fire -> metal -> wood -> earth -> water...
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • IVIrJasper - Heavens Tear
    IVIrJasper - Heavens Tear Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Metal is stronger on Wood mobs
    Wood is stronger on Earth mobs
    Earth is stronger on Water mobs
    Water is stronger on Fire mobs
    Fire is stronger on Metal mobs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I SHALL SMASH YOUR SKULL LIKE A CLAM ON MY TUMMY!
  • KimikoLight - Sanctuary
    KimikoLight - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    hi all..
    can someone explain or point to the thread where it explains the elemental damage/resistance ..

i mean how can i know which element attack (spell) to use with mob (X)

i notice that ants are hammered by stones more that centipedes for example, and gush causes less damaged on some where it hammers others of the same level

thanks..

If I am reading this correctly but I am positive I'm not. XD

Some mobs are weaker to elements others are not.

They will have an element attribute next to their name to show that they are weak..

aka

metal weak against fire
    wood weak against metal
    water weak against earth
    fire weak against water
    earth weak against wood
    non = non element creature
    elemental resistance = none of your attacks will work so you have to hit it with a physical attack.

Since your a wizard that means pressing your auto attack and hitting it with a stick.
  • KimikoLight - Sanctuary
    KimikoLight - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    WOAH I WAS RIGHT :d
  • Xalious - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    all good so far...
    but speaking of that element attribution next to the names.. never paid attention to that..

heck.. im really playing this game recklessly.. i really need to enjoy it .. by knowing its simplest tricks :)

thanks for the reply all :)

however,
    this poses another question..

i hope im rightfully asking this question! :X

ok when you say earth attack.. you are speaking of earth bound weapons (charmed) or earth spell.. correct? same goes to fire and water..

But (and thats big BUT)
    what of wood or metal??? are those exclusive to clubs and swords/ironshots/poles/axes etc??
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited September 2010

ok when you say earth attack.. you are speaking of earth bound weapons (charmed) or earth spell.. correct? same goes to fire and water..

But (and thats big BUT)
    what of wood or metal??? are those exclusive to clubs and swords/ironshots/poles/axes etc??

Spells. Weapons has nothing to do with it.

When you are fighting a mob, you willl see under it's name is an element, or sometimes it will say "non." If you hover over this, you will get a list. This list is the list those have quoted above. It is handy for wizzies because you can check now and then to see what mobs are weak against. For example, you see the mob is metal, hover over the list and say to youself "aha, I should start with a Divine Pyrogram," or whatever fire spell you prefer. If it says non, that means non-elemental... so just go nuts on that one.

Edit: Also, just so you know, never use elemental shards in your weapons. They work for melee hits only but a lot of people don't know that so I thought I would toss in that warning. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    all good so far...
    but speaking of that element attribution next to the names.. never paid attention to that..

heck.. im really playing this game recklessly.. i really need to enjoy it .. by knowing its simplest tricks :)

thanks for the reply all :)

however,
    this poses another question..

But (and thats big BUT)

Your elemental type of damage is purely based on your skills.

I suggest as a wizard taking a few minutes and carefully read the descriptions of the skills you have (and maybe reading ahead on ecatomb.net to get ideas of what you want later on).

Regards~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    elemental immune = none of your magic attacks will work so you have to hit it with a physical attack.

Since you're a wizard that means pressing your auto attack and hitting it with a stick.
    Fixed & clarified that.

Also, mobs with the status "Increased Magic Resistance" will have higher resistance to non-physical magic attacks. If you have a magic attack that does physical damage however, such as the cleric's Plume Shot, that status doesn't affect the damage. However, the status "Increased Defense" on a mob will reduce the damage of physical attacks of any kind.
    No, those only do physical attacks unless sharded with elemental gems. Clerics have metal (wind) and physical magic attacks, and venomancers have mostly wood magic (with a tiny bit of fire and water as well). Just to fill out the list, wizards have fire and water magic, and psychics have earth and water magic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Sangodoc wrote: »

No, those only do physical attacks unless sharded with elemental gems. Clerics have metal (wind) magic, and venomancers have mostly wood magic (with a tiny bit of fire and water as well). Just to fill out the list, wizards have fire and water and earth magic, and psychics have earth and water magic.

b:surrenderI know you meant to have that in there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xalious - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    wow..
    what a piece of information..
    so socketing gems that does +(x) magic doesnt add to your spell power?? only to physical based magical attacks!!!!!

so.. my last question i hope ....

what is poison damage considered among the elemental damages (not earth/fire/water) for sure.. and whats the best way to counter it..

thanks for the site man... ElderSig
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    what is poison damage considered among the elemental damages (not earth/fire/water) for sure.. and whats the best way to counter it..

thanks for the site man... ElderSig

Poison (green skull above victim's head) is wood-based damage.

And no problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Narore - Lost City
    Narore - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    so socketing gems that does +(x) magic doesnt add to your spell power?? only to physical based magical attacks!!!!!

No, elemental gems don't effect magic of any kind, only physical attacks with your actual weapon.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    wow..
    what a piece of information..
    Close, it only adds magic damage to physical based non-magical attacks. So it adds magic damage to swords, hammers, and even crossbows standard attacks, but not to magic attacks. Still, for physical damage weapons you're better off sharding with bonus physical damage shards than elemental ones, since that gets added to your skills, while elemental bonuses don't.
    It's wood damage. Having a cleric around to Purify is the best, but barring that there are genie skills, such as Nullify Poison or Faith, and pots (Soulcleanse Orb?) that counter poisoning. Really, it's just an annoying DOT (Damage Over Time) wood magic, so it's kind of a waste to use genie energy or pots on it unless it's something with really heavy and stacked poison attacks.

The other DOT attacks are bleed (physical), burn (fire), thunder (metal), sandstorm (earth), and the unnamed water DOT that just says "Taking Water damage over time".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Xalious - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    great pack of information indeed. Thanks all..

this thing just came up to my mind...

the wizard have three main elemental damages (fire, water, earth)

who does a wizard manage do deliver metal or wood damages????

speaking of socketing:
    if mag+ gems dont add to your spell power..then your best gem would be (+mp or +hp) correct??? for a weapon that is..
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2010

who does a wizard manage do deliver metal or wood damages???? no, those be reserved for archers, clerics, and venos.

speaking of socketing:
    if mag+ gems dont add to your spell power..then your best gem would be (+mp or +hp) correct??? for a weapon that is.. Best in weapon would be sapphire gems which add +Magic Attack.

^
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kyourimaru - Lost City
    Kyourimaru - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Put Sapphire shards in your weapon and citrine/garnet gems in armour thats all you need to know =)
    edited September 2010
    Put Sapphire shards in your weapon and citrine/garnet gems in armour thats all you need to know =)

You be a minute late.
    x.x'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xalious - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    to MagicHamsta:

according to other members in this post..
    +magic attack gems wont add to your spell power but to your physical based attacks only.. since im a wizard.i try to avoid face to face fights :) only long distance attacks..

so why would i stack sapphire if i was told it wont puff my spells???

check posts #7 http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10152592&postcount=7
    and
    check post #13 http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10154832&postcount=13

im lost :(
    edited September 2010
    to MagicHamsta:

according to other members in this post..
    +magic attack gems wont add to your spell power but to your physical based attacks only.. since im a wizard.i try to avoid face to face fights :) only long distance attacks..

so why would i stack sapphire if i was told it wont puff my spells???

check posts #7 http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10152592&postcount=7
    and
    check post #13 http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=10154832&postcount=13

im lost :(

No no no, you has it confoosed.
    Sapphires add +Magic Attack.

The others are elemental gems which add +Wood/Fire/Earth/Water/etc Damage. (worthless to you and most people.)
    There be a difference.
    Believe the magic hamster.
    X.x'
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited September 2010

The others are elemental gems which add +Wood/Fire/Earth/Water/etc Damage. (worthless to you and most people.)
    There be a difference.

From PWIwiki-Myths and Misinformation :
    "elemental damage is added just to melee attacks.. wow.. >>" - Paramedic (of Dreamweaver)

Some people believe that using elemental attack shards on their magic weapons will give them bonuses on their magic attacks that use that element. This is false. Using elemental shards on magic weapons is pointless, because they only affect your melee attacks, not your magical attacks. (And I'm including bow weapon attacks here as "melee" attacks, since it's a lot of typing to say "melee and ranged weapon non-skill attacks" every time.)

The elemental shards are the Alabaster, Aquamarine, Amethyst, Ruby, and Topaz shards, which add metal, wood, water, fire, and earth melee damage, respectively, to weapons, or resistance to those elements on any other gear. A Shabby Alabaster Shard provides +6 Metal Attack, for example, while a Shabby Sapphire Shard only provides +3 Magic Attack, so some assume that "+6 is better than +3." However, since that bonus only affects melee attacks, you are actually doing less damage with the Alabaster Shards, since you probably aren't doing melee attacks with a magic weapon.

This also goes for the wizard buff Frostblade, which adds water damage to only your melee attacks. (Yeah, it's kind of a silly buff for a wizard, since they can't really take advantage of it themselves.)

It is similarly pointless to add Amber shards to magic weapons, since they add accuracy, and magic attacks already have perfect accuracy. Built-in accuracy bonuses on magic weapons are also pointless. (Unless you need to take out Elemental Immune creatures and have no other physical damage attacks than using melee, but that is very rarely the case.)

The only exception to this are characters that actually do use magic weapons for melee attack, such as some venomancers in fox form. However, you would have to be doing more melee attacks than magic attacks for it to be worth elemental sharding a weapon, even in this case.

In short: When sharding a magic weapon, only use sapphires (or the other rarer gems for channeling bonuses and the like) if you want to increase its magic attack damage. Elemental shards on weapons only affect the damage of melee and ranged weapon attacks, not magic attacks.

I think, this is complete answer.

P.S.
    X.x'
    Magic hamster is right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Originally Posted by Xalious - Dreamweaver

who does a wizard manage do deliver metal or wood damages???? no, those be reserved for archers, clerics, and venos.and barbs (poison fang)

speaking of socketing:
    if mag+ gems dont add to your spell power..then your best gem would be (+mp or +hp) correct??? for a weapon that is.. Best in weapon would be sapphire gems which add +Magic Attack.
    ^
    ^
    b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Mraochan - Lost City
    Mraochan - Lost City Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    (a 4th opinion...)

Yes, as an arcane class, you'll want to only put Sapphires in your weapon, and Garnets and/or Citrines in your armor
  • Xalious - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010

There be a difference.
    X.x'

excellent.. that clears it up completely .. and thanks for the PWI wiki quote :)

thanks you guys/gals :)
  • SuperBhim - Dreamweaver
    SuperBhim - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Noticed elemental shards only work w/ physical attacks... does that mean i should be using them instead? im lost here, seeing how elemental shards are way cheaper i would like to use them if i could.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    (a 4th opinion...)

Yes, as an arcane class, you'll want to only put Sapphires in your weapon, and Garnets and/or Citrines in your armor

Fixed it for you. b:pleased
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2010
    Noticed elemental shards only work w/ physical attacks... does that mean i should be using them instead? im lost here, seeing how elemental shards are way cheaper i would like to use them if i could.

You could.... but they're damage doesn't calculate into skill damage.

So you're better off with garnets and/or amber shards for increase damage/accuracy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]