Casting vs Channeling Speed

Ashenic - Heavens Tear
Ashenic - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Dungeons & Tactics
Either the answer is really obvious and I'm over thinking it or it might actually be a good question...and as the title say, what's the difference between those two when using abilities?

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Ashenic - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Its obvious. Channeling time is when you channel the skill and casting time is when you cast the skill.. casting time is set in stone. It cannot be changed. However, channeling can be reduced with certain skills/genies/equipment/items.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • FinalFatex - Harshlands
    FinalFatex - Harshlands Posts: 2,427 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ^ Really?
    ~~Blood Red since 30~~
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ^ Really?

ya_rly.jpg
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ashenic - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2010
    Its obvious. Channeling time is when you channel the skill and casting time is when you cast the skill.. casting time is set in stone. It cannot be changed. However, channeling can be reduced with certain skills/genies/equipment/items.

So basically, the time it takes to get a ability off is Casting time + Channeling time...? If so, isn't it kinda redundant to have two cast times other than the fact that channeling time can be reduced? That's how I'm thinking about it right now...I guess I made it more complicated than it should be.
  • DDEShare - Raging Tide
    DDEShare - Raging Tide Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Casting time can't be reduced because that's the actual time it takes for the animation, it's the break between spells. Of course regular lag is factored in it as well, so 1 second cast might turn out to be like 1.2 with lag. It's complicated, but if the cast time isn't written there would be a delay anyways because of the animation. Might as well see roughly how long that animation is. Also, this difference causes a difference in balance. Psys generally have high casting but low channel, but the opposite is true for wizards.
    "There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face."

Proud member of Playboy b:victory
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    So basically, the time it takes to get a ability off is Casting time + Channeling time...?
    Yup.
    If so, isn't it kinda redundant to have two cast times other than the fact that channeling time can be reduced?
    Well, no, it's not redundant for precisely that reason. If you have two skills, one with 2 sec. channel & 2 sec. casting, and the other with 3 sec. channel & 1 sec. casting, then the latter will be faster if you have any -X% channeling.

So, it's only "redundant" if you don't have any -X% channel skills, gear, pots, or genie skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • JiEunxD - Archosaur
    JiEunxD - Archosaur Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Also, wizards have a skill called Essential Sutra which allows spells to be casted with near-zero channeling. The difference is that the movement from the left part of the blue bar to the right part of the blue bar is channeling, and how long it is stuck at the right of the blue bar is casting, since that is the animation part.
    List of my territory war videos:
    ht tp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=873472
  • Ashenic - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2010
    Ahh, that cleared things up. Thanks guys.