Curious Question/Suggestion

Options
Kyna - Lost City
Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Suggestion Box
Why does barely any of the official game art look anything like the actual game? That could be slightly misleading to anyone who wants to play and hasn't yet. I mean, the "assassin" in the top left of this page looks more like a Venomancer, with odd coloring and we can in no way have bat wings in game unless you are a wing elf. Not only that but the armors barely resemble anything in game. I'm sure that the official artists could make the armor look awesome without taking it too far from what the game actually has.

Not to mention that odd wizard person on one of the loading screens... at least I think that's a wizard, I'm not sure...

So what's the deal here?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
rikaflare.deviantart.com
Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
... and a few losers....
Post edited by Kyna - Lost City on

Comments

• MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're kidding right? This is like asking why Mario wasn't 3D in the low bit era.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You're kidding right? This is like asking why Mario wasn't 3D in the low bit era.

You're kidding right? That's a really bad comparison. This has absolutely nothing to do with technology or resources; they obviously have the means.

You'd think that if they were proud of their game they would make their advertisement resemble it, like when the game first came out, most of the game art looked more like things well... in the game.

Next time just ask if you don't understand something kay?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You haven't noticed that a butt load of MMO's do that? It's good advertising; people think they're going to get a character that looks like that.
    They get slightly disappointed when they make their character and see otherwise, but it's a pretty good advertising ploy if you ask me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Why does barely any of the official game art look anything like the actual game? That could be slightly misleading to anyone who wants to play and hasn't yet. I mean, the "assassin" in the top right of this page looks more like a Venomancer, with odd coloring and we can in no way have bat wings in game unless you are a wing elf. Not only that but the armors barely resemble anything in game. I'm sure that the official artists could make the armor look awesome without taking it too far from what the game actually has.

Not to mention that odd wizard person on one of the loading screens... at least I think that's a wizard, I'm not sure...

So what's the deal here?

If you mean the assassin on the forum page (top right)... you are blind, OR my page differs from yours. The sin has FISH ears, NOT bat's ears. Try creating a TB if you haven't yet and you'll see what I mean. I so NO wings, just armor. Yes, some art is exaggerated, but who doesn't do it nowadays? Also, lots of armor WE (PWI community) haven't seen yet (still not implemented, or nobody reached it yet). This is why you might be confused.

My 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why don't you guys try posting in readable colors... or better yet.. without colors..
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you mean the assassin on the forum page (top right)... you are blind, OR my page differs from yours. The sin has FISH ears, NOT bat's ears. Try creating a TB if you haven't yet and you'll see what I mean. I so NO wings, just armor. Yes, some art is exaggerated, but who doesn't do it nowadays? Also, lots of armor WE (PWI community) haven't seen yet (still not implemented, or nobody reached it yet). This is why you might be confused.

My 2 cents.

i think she meant top left
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options

My 2 cents.

My bad, I meant left. =_=;;; And no, I'm not confused. The game art before stuck a little bit closer to the game. To be honest, it's a very pretty game, makes me just a little sad that they wouldn't make the art at least look closer to the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    why don't you guys try posting in readable colors... or better yet.. without colors..

Sorry to strain your eyes grandpa.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kawaiidesune - Lost City
    Kawaiidesune - Lost City Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Sorry to strain your eyes grandpa.

i wonder can u read this if my text is black on black, mabey a dark colored text works well with a dark backround highlight text behind this if u cant see it at all
  • Charly - Heavens Tear
    Charly - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i wonder can u read this if my text is black on black, mabey a dark colored text works well with a dark backround highlight text behind this if u cant see it at all
    I could read it just fine.
    And the forum background is a dark brown, not black. >_>
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    ^What she said lol.

Oh by the way, you misspelled "maybe."

Can you say, "troll fail?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • buttercupcruella
    buttercupcruella Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Heh, the thread went completely off - topic. Anyway, I've been told a couple of times that my purple (and the dark red Kyna is using) is hard to read. I REALLY have no clue what's it about. My eye sight isn't perfect, but I can see all colors here np. I recommend switching ON the lights if you can't see it. Doing so will be easier on your eyes; reading in the dark isn't healthy.b:thanks It's weird for me how some ppl cannot see things in black AT ALL; they do not spot it.....b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I know what you mean...

But back to the topic, I've seen some very very pretty artworks on Deviantart and the likes that have to do with ingame characters. Most even stick very close with the game and I'd much prefer their work to the work on the page here.

I do understand that there are some armors and clothing items we have yet to see, but the characters themselves could stick much closer to the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • Kawaiidesune - Lost City
    Kawaiidesune - Lost City Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I could read it just fine.
    And the forum background is a dark brown, not black. >_>

sure it dark brown to you, and to some of you who are reading this, but to some people like me it is black. and also who cares about spelling so much, wow i misspelled a word big deal, and the point i was making to u was that reading dark colors in a dark background is not the easiest thing to read and for some people it hurts their eyes
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It is called storyline concept art. It is to represent what the storyline is based on. Not the actual game. This ploy has been used through out the years in EVERY game that has a cover on it. Look way back at Atari..and the game for example Centipede.. The cover of that game don't show little pixelated blocks of what is supposed to be a bug, but more so some artistic representation of what the game is about.

Atleast PWE does use ACTUAL gameplay footage for their game trailors. Most popular MMOs use some high dallor 3D stuff to create a trailer that will most definately look nothing like the actual game, but captures the veiwers attention with it.
  • Kyna - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I don't even see how what some of what they have fits into story plots...

Is there a half venomancer half tideborn in there? x_x I'd like to see it in game. You can't have a character model that even looks remotely close to that. And yes, I do know that other games have used it but here they have a pretty enough game that they can be different. >_> standing out is also another good advertisement strategy don't you think?

=_=; quite honestly maybe part of it is that I'm tired of looking at fish people when that's most certainly not the whole game lol

Or maybe I just have beef with that half veno half TB chick... the other two characters on screen are fine...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    ... and a few losers....
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well the theme I am assuming was to reflect the latest expansion, rising tide.(story line)

. The half veno and half fish chick was probably an error on the artist's part that don't even actually play this game.

FAIL on PWE's part for not catching that. But dude got paid im sure b:laugh