non-targeted AOE

jsun82b
jsun82b Posts: 1 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Suggestion Box
Sorry in advance if this has been brought up a thousand times, but I didn't see it anywhere in the forums. b:surrender

I would like to see AOE spells and heals not be dependent on having a single target. Instead, I would like to be able to cast those spells where I want to. Also, I want to be able to see where the AOE reaches too so I know how far its effects extend.

I know that this brings up some problems...esp when casting in the air and water, but there has to be a way around it?!

Curious to see what you all think about it, and if you had any suggestions on how to get around the 3D casting difficulties that might arise.
Post edited by jsun82b on

Comments

• RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    jsun82b wrote: »
    Sorry in advance if this has been brought up a thousand times, but I didn't see it anywhere in the forums.

You obviously didn't look hard enough.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=850972

Currently on page 3 of this section.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Ya would be nice.
    x.x'
    Sucks when me can detect invisible assassins, GMs, and whatnot while not being able to do anything.

(>.<)'
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kyna - Lost City
    Kyna - Lost City Posts: 1,597 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I'd post in the previous thread for this but I'm too lazy to look for it...

So while I'm here...

I think this is a good idea. I hate it when I'm about to run in and aoe something and then the monster I had targeted dies from everyone else in the squad, but there are still a bunch left and I have to re-target lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvychar for the sig :D
    rikaflare.deviantart.com
    Fanfiction found on the forums or at rikasstorycorner.deviantart.com
    LOST CITY! -> home to the original badasses of PWI b:cool
    ... and a few losers....
  • Lierwyn - Dreamweaver
    Lierwyn - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsun82b View Post
    Sorry in advance if this has been brought up a thousand times, but I didn't see it anywhere in the forums.
    You obviously didn't look hard enough.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=850972

Currently on page 3 of this section.

This is a different issue...that poster wants the default to be a spell centered around him/herself. I want to be able to click exactly where I want to send the spell to, and it would be nice to be able to see where the spell reaches to (radius).
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Gotta say, definitely like the idea.
    Hate trying to Tempest somewhere and then enemy dies. Then I lose my sparks AND MP along with that.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    i would definately enjoy this would be fun to just let loose an aoe for the heck of it once in awhile without needing a target lolb:victory
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Noskrad - Heavens Tear
    Noskrad - Heavens Tear Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Of course I agree too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. X3
  • Krazykev - Sanctuary
    Krazykev - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Here's what I think it would look/work like: When you hit the button for the aoe you want to use, a "bubble" showing the radius appears on the user's screen, with the mouse pointer in the center. Then, you click the spot you want to cast it on, and the skill activates as normal. On the ground it would be easy, i'm not sure on how it can be done for air/water though. Maybe using a control similar to what is used for the camera zoom.
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited September 2010
    Here's what I think it would look/work like: When you hit the button for the aoe you want to use, a "bubble" showing the radius appears on the user's screen, with the mouse pointer in the center. Then, you click the spot you want to cast it on, and the skill activates as normal. On the ground it would be easy, i'm not sure on how it can be done for air/water though. Maybe using a control similar to what is used for the camera zoom.

You mean like how most mmorpgs do it?
    o.O

Me suppose they can make it like Ace Online's "AoE" thingy.
    (It's okie to talk about this game since it died, me has confirmed with spoons.)
    Well that game be a game where you play as a flying aircraft of sorts and certain skills be AoE which just makes a "magic circle" like thingy appear on the ground but if anything gets in the air it'll still get hit. (Which be why B types can "shotgun" with bazoos. b:avoid)

Just make it so AoE skills will "fall" for ~25 meters or so.

But not going to happen.
    x.x'
    Would need to recode quite a bit of stuff and me sure PW doesn't care enough to do it.
    D:
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krazykev - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Well the range would obviously be limited to what it says in the skill's description. So the center can only go the range allowed relative to the caster, and the radius in the exact area selected.
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited September 2010
    Well the range would obviously be limited to what it says in the skill's description. So the center can only go the range allowed relative to the caster, and the radius in the exact area selected.

Of course the diameter would be fixed by the skill description
    But there be the issue of height (up/down) and it would be easier to just has all skills set with a ~25m up/down height.
    b:chuckle
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Krazykev - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Of course the diameter would be fixed by the skill description
    But there be the issue of height (up/down) and it would be easier to just has all skills set with a ~25m up/down height.
    b:chuckle

Best I could think of is to use the camera's position as a reference point, but that would be a bit awkward.b:surrender
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • peacefulsilence
    peacefulsilence Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I like this idea after being harassed by a sin on my sin to duel him and knew exactly what he was going to do. So I ignored him, sause I haven't leveled my detection at all. So he went and harassed a psy and did exactly what I expected and that was cloak immediately leaving the psy sitting on his hands waiting for the inevitable ambush to come. Which it did. Psy owned round 2 when he told the sin not to cloak.

Self attack aoes that can cast without a target would be swell. I mean I know there are items to boost detections, but they are costly.

Don't really agree about the suggestion about being able to see the range though... Still running into range if targeted would be swell though.
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Gotta say, definitely like the idea.
    Hate trying to Tempest somewhere and then enemy dies. Then I lose my sparks AND MP along with that.

That is so annoying. -.-

Also, I use my normal skills as a reference for how far an AOE can reach.
    I'll click an enemy I know is out of range, and use something like plume shot or cyclone so I walk to max distance. Comparing the distance on that skill to something like tempest helps me figure out the range of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein