Grinding for reputation

Dream_Kiss - Sanctuary
Dream_Kiss - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
Hey!

I am level 45 with a magmite and a saw fly. Now I realize the magmite is a bit slow for grinding. Do you guys suggest to get a 3rd pet (and thus needing to buy a cage (or alot of hay)) that is a good grinding pet? If yes, what pet do you suggest?

Or should I use a cage/hay for a water pet? To be able to do my water quests? (Which arent alot but its reputation anyway..) Which water pet would you suggest in this case?

Of course I could also go for 2 extra pet slots, farm fruit for example.

What is the best place to stop leveling and focus on grinding/reputation? I found out the mobs around sundown town are good to grind on. Or you suggest I need to level to 60 and stop then?

My goals are: 5000 reputation to be able to wear full rank at 60 + a good refined TT60 weapon.
Oh and dont say 'just level to 90' or something like that, these are my goals...

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Dream_Kiss - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    The best reputation grind is FB59. Darkness stamps drop like crazy in there.

You can, outside, use the air-pet for general grinding of stuff. And your best bet for rep is... whatever your one-man-army quests are. I'd head for srunchkin-land when given the option, though. It's easy up there.

As to pet-bag slots: Yes, open up them slots as soon as you can. It's worth it. You'll need a water pet sometimes!
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Mid-50s, max tough and threaten on your magmite (or, preferably, walker), farm FB51 for level 4 darkness stamps. I'd recommend going in with a second land pet for luring (personal preference is an eldergoth marksman) so your main tank pet isn't mauled before the fight starts. You'll have to play cat and mouse with Fushma and Rankar, and watch out you don't start any fights with sac assault warriors... they were still taking down my walker at 59. I managed to get my HA/AA veno to 5000 rep by level 59 (best day I got 23 level 4 darkness stamps.)

Magmites might move slow, but due to their high attack they make decent grind pets (among non-legendary land pets, I think only the scorpions, dark wanderer and seamonster guardian out-DPS walkers, and magmites aren't far behind.)

If you're going to take the time to level it up (few do), a level 5 turtle makes the best water pet. Otherwise, just catch something near your level, use it for the current crop of quests, and discard it once you've finished them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't really recommend keeping more than 2-3 land pets, especially at current leveling rates. While experimenting with various pets is a fun and important side of playing veno, eventually you will want to become thoroughly familiar with what pets you use, not to mention keeping them up to level and properly skilling them does require some effort.

I only keep two land pets, a Tabby for general use (DD, debuffing, luring) and a Shaodu Cub for tanking. As i'll eventually seek to acquire a Phoenix that would mean 4 slots (not counting mount) is the right amount for me, as this would leave me one spot for water pets and general experimentation. Most venos will likely require 5-6 however.
  • idgaf1
    idgaf1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    If you're going to take the time to level it up (few do), a level 5 turtle makes the best water pet. Otherwise, just catch something near your level, use it for the current crop of quests, and discard it once you've finished them.

Why lvl 5 Abysmal turtle? Wouldn't the highland tortoise lvl 8 have same stats as the lvl 5 just increased as normally it would?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    A pet in the same family tamed at a higher level will have lower HP, attack, PRes and MRes, and higher speed. (Also a better skill set as a rule.) There won't be a lot of difference between an abysmal turtle (tameable at level 5) and a highland tortoise (tameable at level 8), but the abysmal will have better stats, if only marginally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • idgaf1
    idgaf1 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Interesting, so then every lil bit does count, I well tame a lvl 5 and see for my self ^^ sense i have just got my 3rd pet slot. lol
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Don't tame a lvl 5 turtle, is completely useless. The couple of water quests you get at that level you can manage without a pet, and the effort it takes to level one up is not worth it since there really isn't any need for a good water pet at higher levels. Just get whatever water pet is closest to your level whenever you do need one...
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2010
    Don't tame a lvl 5 turtle, is completely useless. The couple of water quests you get at that level you can manage without a pet, and the effort it takes to level one up is not worth it since there really isn't any need for a good water pet at higher levels. Just get whatever water pet is closest to your level whenever you do need one...

<cough>tanking lochmur guardian beast without a cleric<cough>

<cough>grinding fungus for 5th pet bag slot on ultrafin protectors, starting at ~ level 40<cough>

No use for a level 5 turtle at higher levels?

If you don't want to devote the grinding time to leveling a low level turtle, just tame something near your level and it'll do fine (though the level 70 quest for celestial plumpfish will be scary with nothing better than a level 51 Tortoise Everlasting or a level 57 Mermaiden Rustler) as I said before.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    And yea, i imagine you could skill it with Ream and use it for DT...

Perhaps i didn't phrase it in the best manner, but leveling water pets is a very specialized activity and one only a handful of venos could manage or enjoy...

I do recommend against it on general terms, granted some people may be happy doing it and enjoy the results...
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    (though the level 70 quest for celestial plumpfish will be scary with nothing better than a level 51 Tortoise Everlasting or a level 57 Mermaiden Rustler)

Use an air pet.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    If you want rep at a lower level the best spot would be FB59. Personally, I did levels 63-67 entirely in FB59, that was my grinding spot. No BH's (didn't exist), no WQ's (no point), just crazy stone and grinding in the FB. It took me that long to get up to 5k rep too.

Anyways, I made a spreadsheet back in the day when I was doing that for rep. Here it is www.evilgamer.net/utilities/59drops.xls

It will accurately tell you how much damage you have to do in each wing per point of rep, the total rep from a wing, and adjust it by level. The tab you want to look at is the results tab. There's also the army tab if you want to compare running one man armies to doing FB59. However the only way they're comparable is if you're running a full squad to do OMA.

The best wing is usually water with sometimes fire being better (they've very close regardless). My suggestion is to clear the enterance, then do water, kill the boss, then do fire, and then kill the boss. It's faster rep to just clear water and not kill the boss, but the drops are a rather nice bonus.

The other thing to keep in mind though is that rep also comes from coins now in the form of buying tokens. At higher levels it's faster to grind coin for tokens to get rep than to stick with 59, however at your level that may or may not be the case. I think I remember runs back at 67 taking me about 70 minutes, at 63 they took about 80 (though there was a learning curve in there that would extend that time a bit) so using that as a guideline according to my sheet a run of start+water+fire will yeild an average of 147.31 rep at 63. Therefore you're getting 110.4825 rep per hour. You can also get that from 35.3544 tokens which at 10k each would cost 353544 coin. Therefore, if you can earn about 350k more per hour doing other things than doing 59, you would get rep faster by not doing 59. If that's the case for you, you may want to consider a coin grind to get your rep. If it's not, then do 59. It's best to wait until 63 though. While you can kill the regular mobs prior to 63, the stronger heal makes a big difference in efficiency.

Also, regular mobs don't start having a decreased drop rate until level 64 (aside from mobs at the start which begin to have decreased drops at 62, but they're not very important) which makes 63 an even more appealing level.