What's more beneficial to me?

RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
Full Jade of Defense shards or Vit stones for a demon barb and why?
which will grant me better survivability and is the difference in survivability significant?
Which type of sharding will benefit a hybrid (more dex than your usual tank build) barb more?
Looking for some math heads to hit me up with some confusing computations.

BTW, I have plans to take everything to +10 refine on Nirvana gear if it makes any difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh
Post edited by RoidAbuse - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Born_Free - Harshlands
    Born_Free - Harshlands Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    ....You're a 10x barb....and you don't know this? b:surrender

.....You should ask Jlung...he has like....a sh*tload of HP.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    if you plan on refining to +10 then I would go for JoSD.
  • Valirah - Sanctuary
    Valirah - Sanctuary Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Go for JoSD, they get better the more you stack them whereas Vit stones get worse.

1 JoSD added to 0 Def level increases survivability by 2%.
    25 stones later:
    1 JoSD added to 50 Def level increases survivability by 4%.

Lets be generous and say that 1 Vit stone gives 200 HP to a rather anemic 10k HP barb.

+200 HP added to 10000 HP increases survivability by 2%.
    25 stones later:
    +200 HP added to 15000 HP increases survivabilty by 1.33%
  • __Necro__ - Sanctuary
    __Necro__ - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Go for JoSD, they get better the more you stack them whereas Vit stones get worse.

25 stones later:

Lets be generous and say that 1 Vit stone gives 200 HP to a rather anemic 10k HP barb.

25 stones later:

What the high level archer said
    OmgPwnage
  • Shevanel - Sanctuary
    Shevanel - Sanctuary Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    90% of PWI math heads are Archers.. Why is this?
    Koiz - omfg my life is now complete
    Shevanel - haha oh?
    ~~~
    Koiz - i took this massive dump
    Koiz - while listening to im on a boat hahahah
    Shevanel - hahahahaha
    Shevanel - haha
    Shevanel - Oh wow

Certain levels of Boredom..
    ThaMessiah: I'd rather endlessly wack it till I shot a load that hits my ceiling than do a 3-2
    edited September 2010

Because we're intelligent, that's why we chose archers. The rest rolled wizzy/sin/psy/BM/barb/veno/cleric b:victory
  • __Necro__ - Sanctuary
    __Necro__ - Sanctuary Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited September 2010

Because archers can do math while they auto attack.
    OmgPwnage
  • Lenore - Harshlands
    Lenore - Harshlands Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Because we're smarter. Statistically, of course b:chuckle
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited September 2010

25 stones later:

25 stones later:

This is a very common misconception because your numbers don't consider the Base Survivability which will play a huge role in how long you will actually survive. On paper yes, the survivability boost of JSD is a greater number, but we can't assume it's "better" in terms of keeping you alive. It all comes down to your resistances and what kind of attack the enemy is using. Actual Survivability may not actually reflect upon your given numbers simply because you have to take into consideration Vit stones also give Physical and Magical Defense. The bonuses of Vit stones are intensified when full buffed as well.

For example a barb that has 2K base Mage Def (31% reduction) ... a 4% survivability boost does not equate to "better survivability" compared to a 2% survivability boost on a 3K (42% reduction) base Mage Def barb. The same applies for AA classes in the realms of Phys Def. A 100% increase in survivability to a cleric with 1K Phys def means nothing and I'm sure you know who I'm talking about from Sanctuary. The cleric with the stacked 44 Def level but squishier than clerics with Garnet Gems and no Def lvl. *Facedesk*
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There is, besides just plain survivability, 1 more thing

Say you have 20k hp before sharding.
    Now you use either jades to get 50 def lvl (50% less dmg, thus your hp can absorb hits that would do 30k dmg before the def calculation)
    Or you shard vit stones to get to 30k hp (no I don't know if this is possible, but round numbers calculate easier).

Now a wizzy hits you for 20k dmg before def lvl calculation. In both situations your charm ticks. With jade, the dmg end up with 10k however, and without jade, you lose 20k hp.

Losing 10k hp over 20k hp gives your charm an easier time, and makes it easier for the cleric to heal you.

Thus, my favor goes to jade of defence.

Now, where are the math wizzys to correct me. I have a feeling I made a basic error in the % calculationbb:surrender
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
    edited September 2010
    Def level also has more survivability as cleric heals and pots heals more percentage of your health. Yet you take the same percentage-ish with either JoSD or +vit stones.
  • Shevanel - Sanctuary
    Shevanel - Sanctuary Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    For example a barb that has 2K base Mage Def (31% reduction) ... a 4% survivability boost does not equate to "better survivability" compared to a 2% survivability boost on a 3K (42% reduction) base Mage Def barb. The same applies for AA classes in the realms of Phys Def. A 100% increase in survivability to a cleric with 1K Phys def means nothing and I'm sure you know who I'm talking about from Sanctuary. The cleric with the stacked 44 Def level but squishier than clerics with Garnet Gems and no Def lvl. *Facedesk*

Well a 44% increase on nothing is still nothing. Though, if we're thinking the same cleric. (ky-say ead-lay) then said cleric has a high base phys def due to highly refined ornaments. No?

Could be wrong in who we're thinking
    Koiz - omfg my life is now complete
    Shevanel - haha oh?
    ~~~
    Koiz - i took this massive dump
    Koiz - while listening to im on a boat hahahah
    Shevanel - hahahahaha
    Shevanel - haha
    Shevanel - Oh wow

Certain levels of Boredom..
    ThaMessiah: I'd rather endlessly wack it till I shot a load that hits my ceiling than do a 3-2
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    There is, besides just plain survivability, 1 more thing

Say you have 20k hp before sharding.
    Now you use either jades to get 50 def lvl (50% less dmg, thus your hp can absorb hits that would do 30k dmg before the def calculation)
    Or you shard vit stones to get to 30k hp (no I don't know if this is possible, but round numbers calculate easier).

Now a wizzy hits you for 20k dmg before def lvl calculation. In both situations your charm ticks. With jade, the dmg end up with 10k however, and without jade, you lose 20k hp.

Losing 10k hp over 20k hp gives your charm an easier time, and makes it easier for the cleric to heal you.

Thus, my favor goes to jade of defence.

Now, where are the math wizzys to correct me. I have a feeling I made a basic error in the % calculationbb:surrender

I stopped reading there. What's with so many people thinking Defense level = % of less damage taken?

Are you trying to say that a Psychic with 100 defense level = Immune to damage?

edited September 2010
    So what does defence level do then? Iirc, I read somewhere that 1 attack level = 1% more dmg. 1 def level = 1% less damage taken.
  • uyftydcygvug
    uyftydcygvug Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    abcbb:chuckleb:chuckle
  • eidryen
    eidryen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    b:kissb:victoryb:chucklejeje
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    My little coin worth:

24 +10Vit stones = 4320HP for a Barb.
    24 +2def level stones = +48def levels = 37% reduction in damage assuming attacker has atk level of 0.

Now that everything has become simpler, it's just a matter of 4320HP vs 37% reduction. While I do notice the small pdef and mdef 24 vit stones may add up to be quite a bit, a fully buffed barb will only receive realistically ~1% pdef reduction and ~5% mdef.

Question now is - 4320HP or 37% reduction? If you have decent HP (which Roid mentioned to take all refs to +10), def level is always more beneficial.
  • Futurelord - Dreamweaver
    Futurelord - Dreamweaver Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I stopped reading there. What's with so many people thinking Defense level = % of less damage taken?

Defense stones decreases damage based on damage delt to you, unlike buffs that improve your own defenses by a %. Stack plumeshell with wings of protection and guardian light and you just turned a 100k attack into a tiny ant that has nowhere else to go...

On another note, taking 48% less damage from all attacks as that is the max number of sockets avalable would be kinda overkill when it comes to defense, with the +8 defense blessings you can get from pwi teacher thats a pretty nice tank right there.b:laugh

If Defense stones effect armor resistance and not damage then shoot me.

Edit: Stop ninja-ing me!, 37% me need to take a new math class...
    b:scorn...We are one, We are many, We are watching you...b:scorn
  • Qlngfu - Archosaur
    Qlngfu - Archosaur Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Stack plumeshell with wings of protection and guardian light and you just turned a 100k attack into a tiny ant that has nowhere else to go...

will try this on a guard when i come home b:sin
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited September 2010

Because the BMs who knew did the math and had no intention of posting on forums about it until after we had bought the DoDs for cheap. We just talked in game about it. Posting it before getting it would be stupid.

Because that is how it did work until PW actually had an update that specifically it stated it changed the way DEF worked ; since Psi's would have made the game broken the way it used to be? And that they were likely working on future gear that added to DEF lvl added to that.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    More HP simply "delays the inevitable," so to speak.
    More defense level does the exact same, EXCEPT it means this:

Let's say an HP barb has 25k HP and the defense one only has 19k. HP barb could get hit by a fist BM for steady 600s, whereas the defense one would be hit for steady 360s or so. That lower incoming damage means it will be easier for your healing items to overcome incoming damage. Think of a cleric: if the cleric gets one shot, it can't do jack. If it has more HP, it survives a potential one-shot and has time to heal, but a DPS opponent like a sin will eventually overcome the heals. If the cleric has more defense level, it will also survive a potential one-shot, but the reduced incoming damage means the cleric's self-heals will be more effective in combatting that incoming damage and it'll buy more time. Instead of 2500 incoming damage per two seconds versus 1200 health regen per two seconds, you'll have 1600 incoming damage vs. 1200 health regen.

Long story short, on a character with as much HP as a barb to begin with, I can easily see defense level buying the barb a LOT more life in any battle with a charm or health pots or a healer involved.
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited September 2010
    More HP simply "delays the inevitable," so to speak.
    More defense level does the exact same, EXCEPT it means this:

Let's say an HP barb has 25k HP and the defense one only has 19k. HP barb could get hit by a fist BM for steady 600s, whereas the defense one would be hit for steady 360s or so. That lower incoming damage means it will be easier for your healing items to overcome incoming damage. Think of a cleric: if the cleric gets one shot, it can't do jack. If it has more HP, it survives a potential one-shot and has time to heal, but a DPS opponent like a sin will eventually overcome the heals. If the cleric has more defense level, it will also survive a potential one-shot, but the reduced incoming damage means the cleric's self-heals will be more effective in combatting that incoming damage and it'll buy more time. Instead of 2500 incoming damage per two seconds versus 1200 health regen per two seconds, you'll have 1600 incoming damage vs. 1200 health regen.

Long story short, on a character with as much HP as a barb to begin with, I can easily see defense level buying the barb a LOT more life in any battle with a charm or health pots or a healer involved.

Stop telling people our secret weapons, we clerics have a rule not to let anyone know how we will rule the game when we become rich!
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Stop telling people our secret weapons, we clerics have a rule not to let anyone know how we will rule the game when we become rich!

Hey man, Psy's the only one who can get outrageous amounts of defense level with those gems. I say the world is ours. b:cool
    I <3 AGOREY
    edited September 2010
    Hey man, Psy's the only one who can get outrageous amounts of defense level with those gems. I say the world is ours. b:cool

b:surprisedYou be having unlimited healing power then?!! Nerf the tideborns!!!!!!!!!
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2010

25 stones later:
    Actually, the research that's been done on this says the opposite for JoSD. (You can read the entire thread if you wish, but the post I've linked to is the feather in the cap. Nice job by azukaya, who btw is a wizard posting on the archer forums. b:chuckle Thanks to Asterelle and co. for providing the original data.)
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=9805402#post9805402

Going from 0 Def to 2 Def results in a 2.4% increase in survivability.
    Going from 50 Def to 52 Def results in a 1.5% increase in survivability.

It's still greater than the survivability increase from +hp in your example though.

25 stones later:
    That said...
    This is a very common misconception because your numbers don't consider the Base Survivability which will play a huge role in how long you will actually survive. On paper yes, the survivability boost of JSD is a greater number, but we can't assume it's "better" in terms of keeping you alive. It all comes down to your resistances and what kind of attack the enemy is using. Actual Survivability may not actually reflect upon your given numbers simply because you have to take into consideration Vit stones also give Physical and Magical Defense.
    Yeah, it's important to note that in the above examples, you can't compare the 1.5% survivability increase going from 25 JSoD to 26 JSoD to the 1.33% survivability increase going from 25 vit stones to 26 vit stones. They are percentages of different things. If both cases started with the same hypothetical 10k barbarian, then the correct comparison for the 25->26 stone case is:

JSoD: 62.5% DR going to 61.576% DR @ 10k hp. Which translates into going from 16k hp-equiv to 16.24k hp-equiv.

vit: 15k hp -> 15.2k hp.

In the JSoD case, the 1.5% improvement is from a base of 16k hp-equiv, for a 240 hp-equiv gain.
    In the vit case, the 1.33% improvement is from a base of 15k hp, for a 200 hp gain.

If you just compared the percentages (which is the wrong way to do it, and what TheDan is cautioning against), you would expect the JSoD to give a 225 hp-equivalent gain.
    The bonuses of Vit stones are intensified when full buffed as well.
    Same for the JSoD since they also operate independently of pdef and mdef, and are multiplied by hp. So any def or hp buff also benefits them.
  • OIdpop - Heavens Tear
    OIdpop - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    to the post starter..dont waste your money/coins..YOU DONT NEED THEM!!!!!!
    This game is like washing hair with shampoo... Rinse and repeat if desired.
    Proud owner of many mains.101 bm,101 seeker,101 demon sin,100 sage sin,101 archer,101 barb,100 cleric,100 wiz( first toon since sept 08 finally made it in 2013)newly added mystic 100 HA,72 psy.
  • Atone - Lost City
    Atone - Lost City Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There has been multiple discussions on this in the past, as Solandri pointed out. The simple answer is "we don't know." The formula that was thought to be correct turned out to be true for only certain cases.

My personal opinion...if you're already refining your armor to +10, you have decent survivability already. Unless you're planning on being a TW cata barb and nothing else, you can afford to put forth some attack so you can actually kill something instead of just tanking 20 people in a gang bang.

My question is, for Damage Dealers like psys, venos, wizards, would it be better to stack Attack lvl +1 gems (rather than defense gems) in armor and weapon, provided you have +10 armor?
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Stack DoT's if you are going to refine that high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Same for the JSoD since they also operate independently of pdef and mdef, and are multiplied by hp. So any def or hp buff also benefits them.

Yes. I'll admit that the independent factor of Phys def/Mage def for JSD is what makes it difficult for people to decide which to shard. A lot of people will prefer Vit stones simply because the effects are more "visible." On paper, the intensified effect of base magic defense stacked with cleric buffs and magic marrow makes Vit stones look like a more versatile choice for BMs, but as I said... We are comparing percentages of different Base Survivabilities. I myself have no research or evidence to claim which has more Actual Survivability, so I won't dispute it. I just wanted to caution people about the common misconceptions of not considering Base Survivability.

• RoidAbuse - Sanctuary
    RoidAbuse - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Stack DoT's if you are going to refine that high.

DoTs or DoDs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Making "non-trash-talkers" show their true color. RAGE ON! b:laugh