help with AOE grinding

XDarkJessX - Lost City
XDarkJessX - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
so i just got my first AOE spell and got my Glacial walker of my level but my question is i wanna learn how to aoe grind so i can buy my herc by the time i get to level 60 or so so if anybody can tell me how not to drop aggro my current build is full mag and idk why thinking of adding vit but idk yet but the DoT from the spell is making me take aggro from my pet even after he ice bashes all the mobs i still lose aggro if anybody can help me please? b:surrender

P.S.: another question ive gota zeal genie i just traded mirages for to mabeh get a lucky genie :( was wondering what i should get for skills/put her stats into and her affinity

P.S.S: should i wait till level 59? xD
Post edited by XDarkJessX - Lost City on

Comments

• Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    If you are thinking of doing AOE grinding for money then it's not a really good option. Killing one by one will be faster however learning AOE at early levels is good and the more AOE skills you get (fox form's aoe, parasitic nova, myriad rainbow fox) all those will make it even more fun. Personally I always do AOE when questing because it's super fun!

During AOE grinding you'll most likely steal aggro from your pet since regular pets do not have Reflect. That is the reason the Hercules is most suitable for AOE (of course also because it he is the best tank). Reflect, you see, generates aggro. However, if you are careful you can successfully AOE with any tank pet. First you have to make your pet attack all the mobs once or twice before you cast your first AOE. After that simply make your pet keep switching targets after 2-3 hits. As you level up you'll realise that stealing aggro during AOE will become more and more easier so you can't truly avoid it. That is where your survival skills play a role and I think AOE grinding is also a nice way to train your reflexes and survival skills. All in all, you just have to be sure that your pet switches target often so it will keep aggro from them all.

As for the genie, there are plenty of useful guides out there but generally you should have Holy Path (so you can get away quickly if something goes wrong or whenever you have to run alot and fast), Tree of Protection and/or Second Wind (they heal your HP, one is healing over time and the other is instant). The rest are quite optional. You could use Extreme Poision which works like Amplify Damage and it does stack with Amp or the one that gives you -chanelling for some seconds. There are a lot of skills to choose from :)
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Myai - Heavens Tear
    Myai - Heavens Tear Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I agree to everything Desdi said, so I'll just add my own stuff in there.

I'm an AoE grind addict. If I have a quest for land mobs the only way I do it is AoE grinding. (herced btw). I don't know if it's faster than regular or what, but I find it to be more entertaining and mana-saving. I have never had to use a potion while AoE grinding due to Nature's Grace and Metabolic Boost.

Skills:

Noxious Gas:
    Level 1: 39
    Level 10: 75
    Level 10 Info:
    Range: 25.5meters
    Mana: 202.5
    Channel: 2.5 seconds
    Cast: 0.8 seconds
    Cooldown: 6.0 seconds

A large disease ridden toxic parasite attacks the target
    causing it and all enemies 9.0 meters around
    it to suffer Wood damage equal to base magic damage plus
    200% of weapon damage plus 1501.4.
    Enemies will also suffer 1501.4 Wood damage over 9 seconds.

Parasitic Nova:
    Level 1: 59
    Level 10: 86
    Level 10 Info:
    Range: 17.4meters
    Mana: 318.6
    Channel: 3.0 seconds
    Cast: 1.2 seconds
    Cooldown: 30.0 seconds

Summon a toxic parasite array to attack the target and all
    enemies in a 8.4 meter radius around the target. Inflicts
    Wood damage equal to base magic damage plus 165% of weapon
    damage plus 2614.6. Has a 67% chance to make them chaotic for
    3.5 seconds, in which they are unable to move or attack.

Requires two Sparks

Malefic Crush
    Level 1: 59
    Level 10: 86
    Level 10 Info:
    Range: Melee
    Mana: 309.6
    Channel: 2.0 seconds
    Cast: 1.3 seconds
    Cooldown: 30.0 seconds

A malefic strike to enemies within 8 meters around you.
    Inflicts base physical damage plus 5228.3, and
    burns 1600 Mana over 9 seconds.

Requires two Sparks and Fox Form

I stay away from the mass of mobs as much as possible and mainly attack with Noxious Gas and Parasitic Nova. I heal even when my pet's health is full if my own chi isn't 100% full and then go: Noxious->Nova->Noxious once there are enough mobs and they have their HP down to about 55%. I use that chain because then I can get in more attacks without going into fox and using Malefic Crush.

Genie:
    My genie is fully equipped for AoE grinding. It has:

Second Wind:
    Level 1 requires Genie level: 10
    Level 10 requires Genie Level: 55
    Spirit: Will have required 45980 Spirit once maxed
    Wood 1 - Earth 1 - Water 1
    Level 10 Info:
    Energy: 97
    Stamina: 320

Instantly heals you for 800 hp. (at level 10)
    Genie Points:
    Strength: Every Genie Strength point increases the healing by 2%. (That's 16hp per at level 10)

Bramble Rage:
    Level 1 requires Genie level: 60
    Level 10 requires Genie Level: 99
    Spirit: Will have required 1898080 Spirit once maxed
    Metal 6 - Earth 7
    Level 10 Info:
    Energy: 167
    Stamina: 1946
    Range: 25 meters

Summons thorny brambles around your target and all enemies within 15 meters.
    Causes 4263 Earth and Wood damage and interrupts their spell channeling.
    Genie Points:
    Dexerity: Every Genie Dexterity point increases the Wood damage by 14.
    Dexerity: Every Genie Dexterity point increases the Earth damage by 6.

Holy Path:
    Level 1 requires Genie level: 25
    Level 10 requires Genie Level: 70
    Spirit: Will have required 121620 Spirit once maxed
    Metal 2 - Wood 2 - Earth 2
    Level 10 Info:
    Energy: 75
    Stamina: 400
    Increases the movement speed of yourself to the max for 3.3 seconds.
    Genie Points:
    Dexterity: Every 100 Genie Dexterity points increase the duration by 1 second

Dust Storm:
    Level 1 requires Genie level: 37
    Level 10 requires Genie Level: 82
    Spirit: Will have required 258580 Spirit once maxed
    Earth 8
    Level 10 Info:
    Energy: 85
    Stamina: 1019
    Range: 10 meters

Assails nearby targets with a storm of dust.
    Causes 1596.4 Earth damage
    and reduces their movement speed by 60% for 5 seconds.
    Genie Points:
    Dexterity: Every Genie Dexterity point increases the damage by 15.6.
    Dexterity: Every 4 Genie Dexterity points increases the slow effect by 1%.

Most are just for emergencies.
    Bramble Rage in case the mobs aggro me while they only have about 2-3k hp left.
    Dust Storm for the same reason as Bramble Rage; for when they have about 2k left but are near me (10m range only)
    Second Wind just for the rare cases when I'm too close to the mobs when herc dies.
    Holy Path I rarely use, because if I'm far away from the mobs when herc dies/I get aggro and they still have high HP/whatever, I just jump up into the air and fly. You only need to be a meter or so above they heads for them not to be able to hit you.

Was bored, you might be able to tell. b:bored
  • XDarkJessX - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    thank you so much b:thanks does anybody have a favorite grind spot at lvl 48-60? my veno sitting on level 48 atm and ive been doing mobs here and there my level 29 cleric has been grinding on DoT mobs made 900K from level 1-29b:dirty so just wonder where is a good spot also got a ranged pet to see if i can handle qingzi yet >.< wondering when i can do him to help out guilides and farm for drops n things like that :) thx all!b:shutup
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    b:chuckle
    That was some wonderful information! I'll only add

Befuddling Mist (learnt at lvl 19)
    Range Melee
    Mana 115.2
    Channel 0.7 second
    Cast 0.5 second
    Cooldown 3.0 second
    Weapon Unarmed, Magic Instruments
    Requisite Cultivation Aware of Principle

While in fox form, the caster sprays a bewitching fog inflicting
    base physical damage plus 1396.6 and reduces the
    target's accuracy by 70% for 8 seconds.
    Requires Fox Form.

which is also AOE. Theoretically it's really useful since it lowers the targets' accuracy which equals to evasion for you. That would save you from some hits. I'm not sure if it's a life saver in practice (i never looked at the numbers and hits) but it sounds good to me.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    does anybody have a favorite grind spot at lvl 48-60?

I don't remember much about those old grinding days. Since you are a Venomancer I'd suggest the mobs around Arrowhead Manor (lvl 50) then King's Feast (lvl 55+) then Tusk Town (lvl 58-60). You get quests there anyway.

My favourite place was east of Tusk Town at the lvl 58-59 mobs. I remember making some nice money there and I love how all the quest mobs are together, no need to run from place to place to find them.
  • XDarkJessX - Lost City
    edited September 2010
    should i level up a DarkWanderer for the higher DPS and and go 1by1on mobs? or just AOE with my glacial i found a really nice spot on the level 50 quest mobs you were talking aboutb:thanks and was wondering aoe grinding or dark wanderer the DQ drops are nice made about 200K in an hour off them!b:thanksb:thanksb:thanks

P.S.: should i restat to Light Armor for the foxform damage added with the mag aoes? and i dont think befuddling mist is an aoe o_o never worked like that for me ...... oh well thx all ;D
  • GuinevirX - Heavens Tear
    GuinevirX - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    befudding mist is a CLOSE AoE around u , so if u hit a mob the one directly next to it will be hit as well , It isnt Nova or Noxious , just really small

No restarting to Light isnt necessary , Foxform can be used efficiently with lvling ur skills (that depend on mag dmg , so Arcane) and ur mastery (for normal hits).

AoE or 1vs1 . that depends on u , however lvling a Wanderer isn't only good for 1vs1 grinding but for BHs /TT/ other dungeons as well ( a really good DD pet )

Decide to grind in the most profitable way

Hope this helps b:pleased
    Proud Male Venomancer <
    It's a game ...................... Face it b:laughb:laughb:laugh
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    To be more precise, Befuddling mist is a very short range, frontal AOE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • GuinevirX - Heavens Tear
    GuinevirX - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    To be more precise, Befuddling mist is a very short range, frontal AOE.

ops i think i missed that , well Mist is an AoE skill u need to plan carefully how to use , but the effect is really good sometimes + it's spammable
    Proud Male Venomancer <
    It's a game ...................... Face it b:laughb:laughb:laugh