Helpful?

_Roflcopterz - Sanctuary
_Roflcopterz - Sanctuary Posts: 37 Arc User
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
So what on earth is up when you wait for 4 and a half hours at a single culti boss, go completely ignored by over 10 groups, and a 10x veno oracle grinding, despite having a "need boss" shop open and asking each group politely multiple times if they have room to help. One barb even decides to solo it right in front of me (also ignores me) and burns a ton of healing items. O_o A DD would have helped him a heap.

This is on my 5x barb btw. I can understand people politely declining if I ask them to go out of their way, but simply adding me to a squad for something they're already killing?

Any idea what's up with this new "don't help anyone but our own" mentality. I've been out the game a good few months and it's sad to see the community has disintegrated.

Also another strange thing I've encountered. I looked for my own bh29 squads while leveling at the HH like usual. But I never actually tanked quingzi once. Every single squad I joined, all the way to 50, some guy brought in a high level friend.

No QQ's, just bored sitting here at this boss atm and thought I'd post. :P
Post edited by _Roflcopterz - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I have found Lost City extemely helpful.

Sorry to hear your current run-ins with no so friendly people.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Dess - Heavens Tear
    Dess - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    The reason for the drop if helpfulness is because the base mentality of the player base has shifted from "have fun" to "get the shiniest, most 1337 gears, the fastest". Now, there are plenty of helpful ppl out there, its just that they are in the minority these days. As for the BH thing, most ppl either dont bother with BH29, or like you said, they get a high lvl friend/alt to run it for them.
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Find a helpful faction and ask them for help. It might take time, but there are still many out there in Sanctuary.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    There's a great deal of greed in the community these days and it's been brought about by the following reasons:

- Many of the older players (who are generally from a more helpful generation and had to exist back in the days of you simply wouldn't get it done if you didn't both get help, and help in return) have quit because of the state of the game and it's community

- The few helpful players who do remain don't really enjoy helping. There are far too many new players who beg and cry and sometimes even just ask politely for help but then never give a word of thanks afterwards. I know some new players who will in fact not only ask or demand for help but will then give you grief while you help them. This makes the helpful people rather reluctant to help.

- New players who reckon they're in the age of "do it all." Far too many players these days, particularly the new ones who have hyper'd or oracle'd, believe they can just about solo everything themselves. They tend to waste a lot of pots and/or event food, tick charms into oblivion twice over and have a horribly snobbish attitude that makes you want to punt a puppy.

I guess, between these three things, the helpful side of our community has fast gone downhill. I'd say fret not, there are people out there that will help you and they do still exist, but where these people are I'm not quite sure and waiting around at the boss and asking groups that pass by to help is no longer a safe way to assure you'll get the help you need.

Sorry to hear of the assery you've been putting up with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lloydylloyd
    lloydylloyd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Everyone sucks nowadays, something to get used too -_-. Occasionally you'll meet nice helpful people...Rare occasions aha. QQ
  • Yaxana - Sanctuary
    Yaxana - Sanctuary Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Considering how I always help people that ask me even if I have to kill the boss all over again, it's sad to hear things like this. I know how you feel because I have other lower lvl chars and I can NEVER find help so I end up trying to solo bosses ( mostly with my cleric ). And when I do that I usually get KS-ed by some *******s. Oh well, I'd be glad to help you if you ever need help with a boss, just message me ingame.
  • _Roflcopterz - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Find a helpful faction and ask them for help. It might take time, but there are still many out there in Sanctuary.

Working on that. I kinda refuse to join a faction purely to scrounge boss help, looking for a friendly group who enjoy the game. So far I actually don't even have a friend list yet, people tend not to open up or add you unless you tank/kill something for them.

I wouldn't mind too much about missing bosses, I've skipped jewels, dismal, vriddiss and the rest but the culti's are mandatory D:

Understandable about people not liking to help because of lack of gratitude. I always make a point of saying thanks for any help received. Anyway if you don't take a risk and be social, you wont find other nice people or make friends either.

I've had 4 people now check my "need boss" shop to see if I'm selling anything. @_@

EDIT: 11th group now. Do you think I should offer to pay? =/
    Oh well, I'd be glad to help you if you ever need help with a boss, just message me ingame.

Thank you ^^ I hate dragging people out though, hence why I'm trying to join a group already killing him to avoid putting anyone out.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I blame BHs for that...

Before BHs, players mostly needed help with bosses and instances, maybe some elite mobs. And that's it. So ignoring those who begged for items, money, help with simple quests, those requests were rather rare. So helping others was a nice change for boring grinding, questing. I still remember how happy I was that some guildie needed a boss to kill or fb to do.
    But then BH came... Many people started to ask for a help daily! So helpful people could end doing other people BHs for whole day, without spending time for their own things. I think that killed people will to help a lot...

+ Airyll's reasons
  • Yaxana - Sanctuary
    Yaxana - Sanctuary Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I'm gonna help you, I'm online now, just whisper me. Name's Yaxana.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    Typhyse - Sanctuary Posts: 3,469 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I offer my help as well. My computer's in the shop so I don't have access to the game atm, but I'm always up to help someone out.

Sanctuary is the oldest server, there are a lot of people who have been here from the beginning and don't give a flying **** about noobs (no offense). But there are a lot of friendly people as well. I be one of them and I'd be happy to hook you up with others as well.b:pleased
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear
    Nowitsawn - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,864 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Sanctuary is the oldest server

Nope. HT/LC are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    One reason I can think of, involving my 2nd barb alt I'm leveling up as a buffer for my BM and TT assister.

I decided against running the Goshiki chain with my main, and went instead just off of barb only with only barb buffs to ensure I was able to do it. Veno offered to help on the lvl 100 worms, but it wasn't too difficult and killed them solo. Using items gained from earlier quests: the 100 health pots from crate, the charm given by Goshiki chain, and rejuvs from the Treasure quests; I then went to do the solo traitor quest. My armor was only rank, and some pieces had lagged behind. Could have used Life Powder, but felt lazy.

I start attacking it, and a BM and archer who were doing nothing there started sending constant PMs and invites so they could get in on the boss too. If I was on my main, I'd usually squad em. But the thing is, my barb was fisting the traitor. So the BM actually had more defense than I did, as well as more damage potential. So immediately it popped into mind there was one of two things: they are lazy and don't feel like doing anything remotely difficult, or they are really bad at playing and having people do everything for them is obviously not working in teaching them anything.

So I used up free heals that were going to be obsolete soon anyways to make a generally easy boss a little more challenging for fun. The fact it was listed as a solo quest helped add to not inviting them initially, but just the sheer laziness those two displayed made me not feel like letting them get something for free, and contribute to continued incompetence. Because they should have had a much easier time doing it than my alt. There's just something very wrong with that, and so I ignored them.

EDIT: To summarize, the two leechers had many different ways they could have easily beaten it, but went with the "let someone else pay repairs" instead, even with them having a better tank. I don't reward that kind of thing.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Well, Airyll basically summed it up.

I can't exactly do much but I'll help were I can. PM my Veno, MizukiMinoru if you need anything.

[And remind me who you are. I have the worst memory.]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Nope. HT/LC are.

Mai badb:embarrass
    Demon_Troll: "takes on the appearance of an innocent archer but turns into a mindless idiot once you hear him speak"
    ~Spazz~
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    It's a disgrace none of the other squads helped you, and it does speak ill of a large part of the population on our server. I know it may be little comfort but you did seem to have had extremely bad luck running into so many jerks, i've usually been able to get help for most of my bosses from randoms and is not unusual for higher levels to ask in wc if anyone needs help with whatever boss they may be helping their guildies or friends with.

What i do when i can't find help with a boss is usually wait for the weekend and try to ask for help from people in my level range, which usually makes for more fun squads.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I'd help too but I can't solo all three (can do Luminoc though) and this comp doesn't have PW. That kind of behavior you described isn't that uncommon on Sanct but usually you get at least someone to help you.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Actually this is funny....
    Was posted from player from Sanctuary server... and that server had "Boss Bash" topic on their server forum with list of people who were willing to help with different bosses, fbs, even bhs... saddly it got removed :( Was active for quite long.... I was part of it lol
  • _Roflcopterz - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Finally got the bosses done thanks to Yaxana, which is really very much appreciated. So huge thanks for that, really awesome of you. ^_^

And nice to see all the offers for help too. The reason I'm not going into QQ mode over the whole thing, which personally I found a little amusing, is because I'm well aware the nice people do exist out there, it's just a shame they've become so scarce. =/

I can understand not helping lazy players who could solo the boss in question. And I personally think no one should expect help with BH's unless a friend offers themselves as a kind favor. BH29 is actually a great way to learn the basics of working in a squad, so it's rather a shame people get high levels to baby them through it and end up knowing little even by the time they're 50-60+

But that's life I guess. Thanks for all the generous offers and feel free to poke once I'm higher if anyone ever needs a tank :P
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I can understand not helping lazy players who could solo the boss in question. And I personally think no one should expect help with BH's unless a friend offers themselves as a kind favor.

THIS. You are probably already an asset to whatever squad you're in.
  • ZAPATON - Sanctuary
    ZAPATON - Sanctuary Posts: 875 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Those people who always call their "high lvl friends" for help with BHs will at some point find their "friends" unable to help them. Now, people calling those helpers "friends" yet only remembering their existance when they need help or feel like bragging about their friend list (Met a lot of "Hey i gotz lvl90+ friends!"-people around); I just wouldn't call that friendship...

For me its a lot more fun to run a BH with people on the lvl range for that BH. Teaches you to play your class, its strenght and weakness, your squad mates strenght and weakness, and how you or them can compensate for what each other is missing.

People should think again if they're playing to watch someone else do all for them while they just pick up the drops, or if they are playing to have some fun and get some things done on their own effort, or shared effort with people who have a goal (quest) in common with them.

Edit: I still find perfectly normal to ask higher lvl people for help when you can't find anyone your lvl to help (or who can actually help you get it done), or when you're short of time.
    Madness?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    I don't get the point of this article. QQ or suggestion?
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    Those people who always call their "high lvl friends" for help with BHs will at some point find their "friends" unable to help them. Now, people calling those helpers "friends" yet only remembering their existance when they need help or feel like bragging about their friend list (Met a lot of "Hey i gotz lvl90+ friends!"-people around); I just wouldn't call that friendship...

For me its a lot more fun to run a BH with people on the lvl range for that BH. Teaches you to play your class, its strenght and weakness, your squad mates strenght and weakness, and how you or them can compensate for what each other is missing.

People should think again if they're playing to watch someone else do all for them while they just pick up the drops, or if they are playing to have some fun and get some things done on their own effort, or shared effort with people who have a goal (quest) in common with them.

Edit: I still find perfectly normal to ask higher lvl people for help when you can't find anyone your lvl to help (or who can actually help you get it done), or when you're short of time.

+1
    Makes me feel useless when 90+ toons are running an instance for me.
    Thanks for all the generous offers and feel free to poke once I'm higher if anyone ever needs a tank :P
    I wanna poke teh fuzzie...
    ~Spazz~
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited September 2010

Lower BH's teach you a little... but mostly how to play follow the leader, how to move quickly from arch to an instance, talk to the bounty hunter and return quickly, and how to maximize wine fees.

BH's, as well as hyper frost, have done far worse to the skill level of higher level player base than anything else.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Typhyse - Sanctuary
    edited September 2010
    I haven't hypered yet. Going to do so soon, but only to get to 80.
    ~Spazz~
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited September 2010

Also another strange thing I've encountered. I looked for my own bh29 squads while leveling at the HH like usual. But I never actually tanked quingzi once. Every single squad I joined, all the way to 50, some guy brought in a high level friend.
    I hate that. I really hate the high level help mentality. Players, including myself don't grow as we should when we're being hand held by high lvl players.

I learned one thing on sanc, and well the game itself; Factions are not a good place to find help.
    I blame BHs for that...

Before BHs, players mostly needed help with bosses and instances, maybe some elite mobs. And that's it. So ignoring those who begged for items, money, help with simple quests, those requests were rather rare. So helping others was a nice change for boring grinding, questing. I still remember how happy I was that some guildie needed a boss to kill or fb to do.
    But then BH came... Many people started to ask for a help daily! So helpful people could end doing other people BHs for whole day, without spending time for their own things. I think that killed people will to help a lot...

+ Airyll's reasons

Yea thats exactly why my will to help diminished. But I dont blame Bhs. It's the asking for help with no kind of patience. "HELP NOW" "YALL SUCK BECAUSE YALL DON'T DROP **** AT A WHIM TO HELP ME"

I once helped so much that my own things got left behind, including pet leveling. It's like, I get punished for doing my own thing.
  • AbbyDabby - Sanctuary
    AbbyDabby - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Will gladly help. PM AbbyDabby or Abby/Normal I've tried whispering you in game but you never seem to be on when I am
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]