Range of lvl 10 tame beast

Options
blindeyesniper
blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Venomancer
On ecatomb.net, it says that lvl 10 tame beast has 25.5 range. Is that correct? Anyone with lvl 10 tame beast can confirm?
Post edited by blindeyesniper on

Comments

• Nakiwarai - Heavens Tear
    Nakiwarai - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well you get to learn Tame Beast lv10 at lv107 and the highest level venomancer is 103, so I believe no one can confirm yet /:
    *no one from PWI.. any MY players around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Level 10 tame beast is learned at 97, not 107.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    tame beast is always 12 meters
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Mine's level 6 and it still says 12 meters. As best as I can tell, the range doesn't change. The mana cost goes up 150 with each level though. Just leave it at level 1 so you can use it to pull singles for just 150 mana. If we could de-level skills, I'd drop this back to level 1 in a heartbeat.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I did keep mine at lvl 1. b:sin
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The range stated ingame doesn't go up, this is a bug. The range of the ability itself does increase with each level, just like other skills... however you're not told that it does. Unfortunately all of my skills are leveled up so I'm somewhat limited in my ability to measure distance these days, however I do still have two tests.

The first is using parasitic nova to find 25.5m and then attempting tame (can do this with any level 10 casting skill, they're all 25.5). When doing that I move forward about 2 steps (half a meter) and then attempt to cast tame. The second is to use tame to find it's distance and then earthflame. At tames max range earthflame will work, however if you move back even one step it's out of range. Both of these point to a distance of 25m (which I think I said here before at one point, but it's been a long time).

I measured it in the past to 25m (not 25.5) at max range and this just further backs that up. I never measured the earlier tames though, so I'm not sure of the starting range (just because it says 12 doesn't mean it is 12). If level 1 tame were measured out it would be easy to find the range increase per rank. However measuring unknown distances is a bit of a hassle as the only method I know of is to take a screenshot with known distances and measure the pixels. This will give you a range of valid distances that can be the correct distance. With enough points you can get it exact, otherwise you'll have about a +/- .3m margin of error (larger distances have a larger spread). It's the same method used to get the range for range pets, I think I gave examples of it somewhere in the range pet thread.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Just tested it. Level 6 tame is 25 meters. I dueled an alt. Ran far away, hit tame so I'd run to max range. Then I hit extreme poison which has a 25 meter range. It fired. Then I nudged myself further away and tried extreme poison again. I got the "Target out of range" message.

Then I repeated it with an alt veno with level 3 tame. Same results, and she was visibly casting from the exact same spot. So it seems to be fixed at 25 meters at level 3 and 6. Probably the same for all levels.

Edit: Yes, yes, I know. Two venos with tame higher than level 1? Both were made way back when I started playing, and naively assumed that the higher level versions were actually better.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I can confirm the range for level 1 Tame Beast is 25 meters. Took a few minutes to test this out just outside Archo. The method i used; First i would start to cast Venomous on a mob that was far away enough it would force me to move into range, i chose mobs that had just moved (so i could have them sit still for small while) and canceled the skill the second i got within distance. This would put me at 25.5 meters according to the skill description. Then i would try EP (which wouldn't go off being out of range). Then Tame which moved my char not half a step forward (this would be the .5 meter), then canceled again. Finally i would try EP which would hit now that it was within range. I did not cancel Tame a few times for control. I surprisingly got quite a nice bit of coin from the low level mobs. b:victory

The skill description is wrong, Tame does work for me at nearly the same range as level 10 Venomous.

Edit; Oh, and i think i should credit Solandri for the method. Thanks.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Well, looks like the bug isn't that the range starts at 12 and never updates up to 25 like I was thinking it was, but rather that it always says 12 when it should say 25.

I guess that eliminates the one potential reason to take tame above level 1.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2010
    Options
    b:surrender I forgot to credit you too Brael, just realized reading your last post i probably got the idea to use a scarab from you.